Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Is jazz considered mainstream?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 04:52 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 04:52 PM #1 of 21
Is jazz considered mainstream?

Well just wondering guys, I'm listener of many music genre, and jazz is just one of them.

People often tell me if my taste is a bit out of mainstream (that is, if you think mtv and english-lyric music is considered as the mainstream). But I found myself confused when not all people not really like jazz. I know it's matter of personal taste, but given the fact jazz music is relaxing, and often considered as easy listening genre, not really people like them. Is this true? Is jazz actually considered a mainstream genre, or their listeners actually more obscure than classical music?

I want to know your opinion about this, I'm not really hardcore fan of jazz (couldnt stand the free pure-jazz music, I'm dead when listening 'em D but I would like to know how popular jazz is, compared to other genre.

(I'm bit confused where I should put this, either in concert hall or general discussion. Feel free to move it to appropriate place.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 05:57 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 08:57 PM #2 of 21
(Expect this to be moved to "Media Centre")

I don't mind a bit of jazz here and there, but I wouldn't call it one of my favourite genres of music. As for it being mainstream, I'd say no. Or at least, not anymore; it was one of the first styles of music in the 90's, so of course it was popular for a whole lot of the century. As for the current day? I'd say the jazz following is more underground than mainstream.

This post is completely subjective and contains hardly any objectivity, by the way.

How ya doing, buddy?
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 08:17 AM #3 of 21
It also depends on your level of education and social status.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 08:43 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 08:43 PM #4 of 21
well, how about you generally guys? (yama and gukarma) do you consider jazz as exclusive/underground genre or, just as typical as other pop music nowadays? Or perhaps, you dont favor it at all?

I always think jazz is one of the mainstream, coz it's popularized by western musician, but perhaps I'm wrong, perhapspeople dont listen jazz that much compared to other genre. =O

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 08:54 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 07:54 AM #5 of 21
...but given the fact jazz music is relaxing...
That's quite an overgeneralization. I have a feeling that despite what you may think, you prolly don't listen to a lot of music.

Within the musical world, there is no set definition for what jazz is or emcompasses. Personally, I go by a very broad definition. Based on that definition, I'd say that it's definitely mainstream.

I was speaking idiomatically.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 09:02 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 09:02 PM #6 of 21
Well, I listen only limited jazz genres, I know there are some pure-jazz with crazy improvisation which could make your head goes bang-bang instead of making me relaxed. But as far as I listen, most jazz music out there contains soft music, which is quite suitable for relaxation.

That's my only opinion anyway, perhaps, just as you said, I havent really seen what "jazz" really is. Other than jazz music, I also listen jazz, classical, celtic, world, anime, jpop, folk, new age, but none of any heavy metal. Maybe my listening discography is still not good enough.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 09:43 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 11:13 AM #7 of 21
I would consider jazz to be main-stream, but it may depend on where you are. I hear jazz all the time when I go to Quebec, they even hold a jazz festival every year in Monteral.

I like jazz for the most part.

FELIPE NO
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 09:53 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 10:53 PM #8 of 21
I consider it quite mainstream, since when I go for auditions, the judges seem to ask the prospective pianist for jazz piano tunes, also following that while many songs aren't jazz, but I believe many contain it's elements.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:17 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2007, 05:17 PM #9 of 21
Moving to the Media Centre.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:39 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2007, 07:39 PM #10 of 21
Jazz in itself is not mainstream, but there are no genres that are entirely mainstream. That is a label that can only be applied to individual artists or groups. There is mainstream jazz and avant-garde jazz, just like all other genres.

How ya doing, buddy?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:00 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2007, 09:00 PM #11 of 21
I'd say that jazz is about as mainstream as metal meaning that the vast majority of it goes underneath the layman's radar with a few skirting the mainstream and even fewer who have catapulted themselves into the stratosphere of mainstream (Miles Davis comes to mind). It's not that popular here in the States, though there are people definitely listening to it and there will be festivals held in its honor.

I personally love guitar driven jazz that really isn't slow like some Wes Montgomery or Larry Coryell.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:15 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2007, 10:15 PM #12 of 21
I don't understand why everyone keeps referencing Miles Davis as a "mainstream" jazz player. Miles was nearly out-jazz. His name is probably most recognizable among jazz greats, but that isn't an indicator of mainstreamness. He was a great player, but his appeal is generally limited to jazz fans. His playing was to hard-edged for crossover success other than crossovers to other subgenres.

Mainstream jazz is more like Norah Jones, Kenny G., or Alison Krauss. It would probably be labeled "adult contemporary" or some garbage by most people, but still has recognizable jazz features.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:19 PM #13 of 21
I would say that jazz is far from popular among today's young listeners. The closest thing to mainstream would be smooth jazz (which is likely what you're into), and that's restricted to the middle-agers. Old people love jazz, but more Dizzy Gillespie than Kenny G.

I love jazz--Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, James Moody, Trio Da Paz, Jaga Jazzist and Mahavishnu Orchestra, just to name a few of the more well known acts.

I was speaking idiomatically.
BMan
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 22125

Level 2.00

Apr 2007

Old Apr 19, 2007, 06:32 PM #14 of 21
I'd say that jazz has changed over the years though. You'll find that many of the newer generations DO like Jazz, just not the traditional classic jazz of old... I love jazz, but I get a bit bored after a while from classic jazz.

On the other hand, as Will mentioned, alot of the above artist have added new dimensions of jazz which appeal to many...

I'll go a step further and include funk in the category... love it! and i think Funk is definately growing - probably faster than jazz (although its a derivative)

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:30 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2007, 09:30 PM #15 of 21
It really doesn't make any sense to include funk in the jazz category, because then you'd have to include all of jazz's other derivatives, which is basically ALL MUSIC made after 1920 except maybe traditional blues.

FELIPE NO
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:51 PM #16 of 21
I wouldn't go that far. Rock and roll is a derivative of blues, not jazz.

Most amazing jew boots
PS2
Carob Nut

Member 5480

Level 5.27

Apr 2006

Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:51 PM #17 of 21
I wouldn't consider it a form of mainstream music.

Jazz such as. miles davis and louis armstrong, I'd consider a form of classical music.

Smooth jazz such as Kenny G., on the otherhand, is more adult contemporary.

Electro-jazz such as jazzanova is form of electronic music.

Last edited by PS2; Apr 21, 2007 at 07:54 PM.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:19 PM #18 of 21
I'd say that jazz is about as mainstream as metal
I'll agree with that when Montreal holds a metal festival at least as large as the yearly Jazz festival.

In other words: never gonna happen. While "underground", weirdo jazz does not have a lot of mainstream appeal, yes, it's still far more accessible than heavy metal, especially extreme metal and especially with the 40-year-olds+ generation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:05 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2007, 01:05 PM #19 of 21
While "underground", weirdo jazz does not have a lot of mainstream appeal, yes, it's still far more accessible than heavy metal, especially extreme metal and especially with the 40-year-olds+ generation.
Being a listener of both avant-garde jazz and extreme metal, I have to disagree. The harshest metal doesn't even come close to being as unlistenable and complex as experimental jazz can get. I do think though that jazz fans, on the whole, are willing to put more effort into understanding a piece than your average metalhead. This is when you get guys like John Zorn who just come along and fuck with both crowds.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:44 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2007, 11:44 PM #20 of 21
I wouldn't consider it a form of mainstream music.

Jazz such as. miles davis and louis armstrong, I'd consider a form of classical music.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] Is jazz considered mainstream?