Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

USB driver question

xeriouxi
Mrrrrrrrr!

Member 15664

Level 5.51

Nov 2006

Old Jun 26, 2007, 08:35 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2007, 02:35 PM #1 of 5
USB driver question

Hi!

I have a little query about USB drivers etc.

I know when you plug a device in it will find the drivers, pre-installed or not, and then say the device is ready and so on. I know that also when you plug it into a different USB port it will run the same procedure again, so somewhere the information about the USB driver registered to which USB port must be saved somewhere, right?

I ask this because something screwed up during a driver installation and it won't work on that port anymore. I can't replicate this problem by plugging it in again either. Is there any way I can find what peripherals are assigned to each USB port and remove them? Thanks! =)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rawr! =^_^=
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:25 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 07:25 AM #2 of 5
I don't suppose you can do a system restore?

Most amazing jew boots
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Guardian
The similarities...

Member 22819

Level 2.62

Jun 2007

Old Jun 26, 2007, 06:45 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2007, 04:45 PM #3 of 5
You aren't, by chance, running an nLited copy of XP are you? I've had this exact problem when I used that program to shrink my XP installation.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
xeriouxi
Mrrrrrrrr!

Member 15664

Level 5.51

Nov 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:41 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 04:41 PM #4 of 5
A system restore isn't really a viable option to me because I've done a lot of things to the system in that period. And no it's a geniune full SP2 version of XP Pro.

Most amazing jew boots
Rawr! =^_^=
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:54 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 10:54 AM #5 of 5
What this fix does:

Sometimes when using multiple usb ports, registry keys in Windows XP get confused. What this fix does is deletes the registry keys for all the usb devices that you have plugged into your usb ports (since Windows gives a name for each device that uses the USB port ONCE, meaning that it uses the same name in EVERY port, for EVERY device, but only references it once. Doing so over time can confuse windows into thinking that it can't recognize the device (especially if you switch usb ports with the device alot, like I do)

1. Make sure nothing is plugged into the usb ports.

2. Click "Start", choose "run" and type "regedit". Without quotation marks.

3. Click "File" choose "export", save this file on the desktop called "backupregistry" without quotations.

NOTE: Before deleting some entries you will have to change the Permissions. You do this by highlighting the entry you want and going to the EDIT Menu and select Permissions and give everyone full control.

4. Then, back in Registry Editor, I want you to go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\ ".

5. Delete every key under the "USB" folder that begin with "VID_###". (Where ### represents a number, for example "VID_0781&PID_6100")
Again, make sure nothing is plugged into the USB ports, or it wont let you delete the key. Also, if you have any SATA drives, it wont let you delete the keys for those if the drives are in use (since they show up as USB.)

Once you're done deleting all of those keys, restart the machine. Login to your account (if you have to login), then one by one, try plugging in a device.

If that doesn't work, double click your "backupregistry" file, to restore the system to the state it was in before, then restart the computer.

I was speaking idiomatically.
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > USB driver question