Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] New service lets people bet on console games

Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:59 AM #1 of 9
New service lets people bet on console games

Quote:
Video game site lets players bet on their skills
While not considered online gambling, site allows money-based challenges
By Barbara Ortutay
The Associated Press
updated 12:25 p.m. ET, Thurs., July 30, 2009

NEW YORK - Although you can win or lose real money, BringIt.com is not considered online gambling, and it's legal in 39 states.

The site, which lets players challenge other gamers for money, says it is different from online poker and other games of chance because video games are considered a game of skill.

BringIt is set to emerge from its "beta" test version in the next few days. It's free to sign up, provided you are at least 18. The site makes money by taking a 10 percent cut from people's wagers and a $4 fee from winners when they withdraw their loot.

Founder and CEO Woody Levin, 30, said most of the players on BringIt play for small amounts of money, $5 or $10. It's not really for "hardcore, crazy gamers," he said, but rather, people who "want to put their money where their mouth is, a little bit."

To ensure that first-time players don't go pawning engagement rings, BringIt limits players' entry fees to $25 for the first 10 games they play. The limit increases in steps until it reaches $500.

BringIt supports the PlayStation 2, the PS3, the Xbox 360 and the Wii. Players challenge each other on the site, but play on their consoles. BringIt holds players' entry fees until the game is finished. After the game is done, it verifies the results and credits the winner, minus the service fee.

To attract players of a broad range of skill sets, BringIt has separate tournaments meant for novice players and expert gamers. Levin compared it to the handicap system in golf or the weight-class system in wrestling.

The updates to BringIt will include premium memberships, Facebook integration, leaderboards for each gaming console and the ability for up to 16 people to play in a team against 16 opponents.

BringIt says the 11 states that currently ban playing video games for cash are Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Montana, Tennessee and Vermont.

Video game site lets players bet on their skills - Games - msnbc.com
Play Video Game Tournaments for Money - Cash Video Game Battles, Online Competitions | BringIt

Do you guys think this has any future? My buddies like to bet, but in general I am so bad at console games I can't see myself putting any money on them. The rule of thumb is every 13 year old out there that has played halo 3 like its his schooling can pwn me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:21 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2009, 08:21 AM #2 of 9
This idea just doesn't appeal to me. I personally play games for fun, so adding something like this to just adds another layer of seriousness to it I'd rather not deal with. And then there is the fact that no online game is perfect (there are still plenty of issues ranging from lag to cheating), which gives the loser something to complain about if they don't want to give up their money.

Plus, and this might just be me, but if was going to play games for money I'd rather do it in real life. It sounds like it's mainly for small, friendly bets, so if I just wanted to bet $5 on a game of Halo or whatever I'd rather be able to do everything in the process (play the game, verify the win, and get the money) immediately and get the full amount of money rather than wait to set up a game, wait for the site to verify (well, from reading the site it doesn't sound like they do anything at all in this respect, as it basically sounds like they're using an honor system), and then have to give up money just to get my money (which, according to the article, to get my $5 I have to first wait for the site to take 10%, and then pay $4 to get out the remaining $4.50, leaving me with 50 cents).

This could work in the future if it's implemented better, but as it is now I just can't see it taking off.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:33 AM #3 of 9
I'm part of Team MD, so I can't participate anyway. This must be the same law that will prevent me from winning prizes in 1 vs. 100.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Yushiro
Able Squad, More Like Awesome Squad

Member 4745

Level 10.03

Apr 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:33 AM 1 #4 of 9
What an amazing idea! Now if only I:

A) Was actually better than someone at a multiplayer game

B) Didn't live in Delaware

C) Wanted to win a whopping $0.50 on a 1-vs-1 $5 wager. ($5 bet - 10% entry fee - $4 winner fee)

Most amazing jew boots
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:41 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2009, 08:41 AM #5 of 9
I'm part of Team MD, so I can't participate anyway.
Don't worry, you wouldn't have won anything anyway. Ever.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:16 AM #6 of 9
I think the $4 fee is to withdraw money, not per game. So, if you win 20 $5 wagers, you'd be able to withdraw $86, right? (-10% -$4)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:22 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2009, 05:22 PM #7 of 9
This must be the same law that will prevent me from winning prizes in 1 vs. 100.
I actually got into the mob in Saturday's live game. Sadly, the motherfucker took the money so I won exactly fuck all.

FELIPE NO
Yushiro
Able Squad, More Like Awesome Squad

Member 4745

Level 10.03

Apr 2006

Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:14 PM #8 of 9
I think the $4 fee is to withdraw money, not per game. So, if you win 20 $5 wagers, you'd be able to withdraw $86, right? (-10% -$4)
Ahh, yeah, that is what the article actually says, my mistake.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] New service lets people bet on console games