Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Death Note

aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 08:19 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 08:19 AM #501 of 573
http://deathnote.viz.com/trailer_popup.php?t=3
Trailer form Viz, with Light's Voice and Ls voice through the filter
I'm not sure if i like Light's but well see what becomes of it, happy watcin

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 05:03 PM Local time: May 15, 2007, 04:03 PM #502 of 573
Bleh, Light's voice was terrible. It was so generic. I guess I'd have to hear it in the context of the show to truly form an opinion on it, though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sacred X
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 07:54 PM #503 of 573
I can't say I'm a fan of his voice either, but I'd have to at least see an episode or two in order to be sure. I'm used to hearing the Japanese voice so much that the English voice may not actually be bad, just different. It's very rare for a Japanese and English voice to sound alike, but I'll try and stay neutral for now.

On a side note, I just noticed how the three have names in alphabetical order:

L M N
L Mello Near

If we add Kira...

K L M N
Kira L(ight) Mello Near

So if another genius were to be introduced, should I assume it would be "O"?

FELIPE NO

SSBB: 0602-5947-4393 ("SX")
PM me if you add.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 10:20 PM #504 of 573
The english dub for Yagami is indeed atrocious but in the end, you can't always rely on the old voice actors. They get tired as well. I was thinking more of of the voice actor who played Heero Yuy to get the job done. Will be expecting alot of work from David Lucas ;p. Viz has been workin his ass off playing 10 billion characters in naruto.

I believe theories died out after the manga ended. I was thinking more of L standing for L's real name yet his first name was never revealed.

And as for what I said about the 2nd arc ended sooner than we thought, Madhouse doesn't give a shit after all. I think there's a lot of info missing there. 7 episodes left. Will there even be an episode where they show Mikami's past?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sacred X

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 10:40 PM #505 of 573
Now that I think about it, Mikami's past was just one chapter, correct? So I suppose the first half of an episode or a few flashbacks are all we should expect, I don't really think they'll extend one chapter into an entire episode, but hopefully what they do will be satisfying. Episode 31 should be out and subbed soon, and Mikami should be in it based on the preview. We should hear something about his past by episode 32, if not 31.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

PM me if you add.
somedude2387
Chocobo

Member 678

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 02:54 AM Local time: May 16, 2007, 05:54 PM #506 of 573
Yeh I'm not a fan of Yagami's voice, sounds a bit like Aladdin or some other disney character not really the voice I'd pick for someone like Light

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
Woody Allen (1935 - )

Anyone know how to use alchemy?
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 09:21 AM Local time: May 16, 2007, 03:21 PM #507 of 573
Now that I think about it, Mikami's past was just one chapter, correct? So I suppose the first half of an episode or a few flashbacks are all we should expect, I don't really think they'll extend one chapter into an entire episode, but hopefully what they do will be satisfying. Episode 31 should be out and subbed soon, and Mikami should be in it based on the preview. We should hear something about his past by episode 32, if not 31.
I saw episode 31 just now and I can reveal that:

Spoiler:
Yup, Mikami's in it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 11:09 AM #508 of 573
I saw episode 31 just now and I can reveal that:

Spoiler:
Yup, Mikami's in it.
Spoiler:
Didnt look too surprising. It's almost as if 5-6 chapters are being crammed into one episode. I did like Mikami's entrance but I can agree with Sacred X about Mikami's past showing for at least a half an episode while the other half will introduce Kiyomi Takada. I'm not even sure when the hell Matt is going to show up so things are getting kinda fucked up.

Not too impressed but it is the 2nd arc and I wanna see the downfall of a certain fool >=]

EDIT : What I knew was going to happen, did happen ;p. Not that bad at least.

Spoiler:
Just finished watching ep/32 which happens to show not only Mikami but also his past and thoughts about the world in less than 20 mins which is ok. Then we were given the introduction of Takada , who I don't really care much about. Anime-version-Yagami had already summarized everything between those two and now the scene switches to a certain person most of us wanted to see.

Matt with a GBSP >=p.

Spoiler:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by chato; May 23, 2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Episode 32
Sacred X

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 10:02 PM #509 of 573
I just saw Episode 32 as well. Matt looks a lot different than I expected. Then again, I barely remember him from the manga. Still, he looks a lot darker. Perhaps his color is black? Well, he's not an important enough character to have a color. If you (the reader) do not understand what I mean, each main character has a color:
Light/Kira = Red
L = Blue
Near = White/Silver
Mello = Yellow/Gold(?)
Aizawa = Green

Even though he's not a big character, I wonder if they will expand much on his character. Most people who didn't read the manga were probably confused by that, so I hope they expand a bit more. At the very least, a proper introduction.

Anyway,
Spoiler:
It seems I was right about the 15min thing. I was worried that they were going to make it boring, but it was greatly satisfying. Seeing Takada also isn't bad. I was also expecting them to cut out the whole "love" convorsation between Matsuda and Ide, but I see they left some of it in, meaning they will probably continue it a bit later on, though almost definently no wher near as much as the manga.
I'm also glad that they are making things a lot less boring, simpler, and faster.

I'm really starting to dislike Animanda's subs. They purposely rearrange what the characters say just to what they think "sounds" better. The overuse of the word "fuck" did irk me a bit, but they're having Mikami say "Eradicate". I know what it translates to, but it sounds far too awkward.
Kuro-Hana has much better subs, but Animanda has the quality. If only there were a way to combine the two.

PM me if you add.

Last edited by Sacred X; May 27, 2007 at 10:45 AM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2007, 08:52 PM #510 of 573
It looks like Viz Media's giving the C and D to kuro-hana to dropped the project.

Spoiler:

I can really care less. As long as we got to see the first arc. The second one was more than just terrible than the original manga's counterpart O.o. As always, we'll still have some weird person to sub the last two episodes. So viz can go lick two nuts cause they aren't going to stop them >=p.

aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2007, 07:19 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2007, 07:19 AM #511 of 573
WOW, after that last episode, I've completely lost my liking for Light. He has just gone overboard with how he has been getting his 'world' its disgusting personally. The way he just treat anybody no matter what as a tool. He is just a manipulative now, and i have lost all respect for him in this second arc.

FELIPE NO
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:01 AM #512 of 573
The english dub for Yagami is indeed atrocious but in the end, you can't always rely on the old voice actors. They get tired as well.
Then the company should get new VAs. And if the VAs are tired of voice acting then they should quite for our sake and their own. I mean aren't people always saying, "Work with what you love doing. If you don't love it then it's time to change careers." Am I being harsh? No, I'm not. Society is alway wanting good quality products. If you don't provide, then you should step down.
I wish the Japanese would do joint ventures instead of just licensing but they probably don't want to deal with hearing American Companies bitching about suing fan subbers.

I tried to think, "it's just a trailer, the voices in the show should be better." But I bet those lines are taken from in-show. That, "I'm Justice" line sealed my decision for Light's voice and I DON'T LIKE IT. There's no passion or malice in the English VA's tone. Just like RockgamerXIII says, totally generic. I can just imagine the scene where Light screams crazily at the tv in the end of episode 2. It'll be flat and NON-intense.
I thought legit Death Note DVD's were worth getting but not after hearing English Light's voice.

Sacred X

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2007, 09:52 AM #513 of 573
It's too bad they can't sub anymore, but I know some people will upload the last two subbed episodes on youtube or veoh.
I also do hope Light's voice gets a change, I couldn't stand listening to that for over a minute.

As for episode 35, It's the first episode of the new arc I found boring, despite all of what has happend. Probably because I already knew what was happening or I was in a low mood because of hearing the bad Death Note sub news, or both. Either way, I'm curious as to how they will end it. Sometimes I wish I never read the manga.

How ya doing, buddy?

PM me if you add.
Blades Of Ice
=O

Member 6689

Level 7.53

May 2006

Old Jun 16, 2007, 04:51 PM #514 of 573
As one of the only anime series I've dedicated so much time and fanboyism to, I really hope that a random subber can finish this project for us.

Links PLOX, as soon as they become available.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2007, 08:42 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 09:42 AM #515 of 573
Well, at least Animanda will probably stick with it. I hear they're based in Europe (probably the UK) and the anime doesn't look like it's licensed over there yet.

Anyway, lost interest in the series after a certain detective bought the farm. I saw upto episode 27 and dropped the series. Still in the process of reading the manga anyway, just waiting for volume 12 to be released...

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)

Last edited by hikarub; Jun 16, 2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling error!
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2007, 09:57 PM #516 of 573
Well, at least Animanda will probably stick with it. I hear they're based in Europe (probably the UK) and the anime doesn't look like it's licensed over there yet.
No, Animanda also got a c&d letter. They announced it on their main site that they're dropping it.
But I do hope someone picks it up. There should be less than 5 episodes left.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 07:39 AM #517 of 573
I tried to think, "it's just a trailer, the voices in the show should be better." But I bet those lines are taken from in-show. That, "I'm Justice" line sealed my decision for Light's voice and I DON'T LIKE IT. There's no passion or malice in the English VA's tone. Just like RockgamerXIII says, totally generic. I can just imagine the scene where Light screams crazily at the tv in the end of episode 2. It'll be flat and NON-intense.
I thought legit Death Note DVD's were worth getting but not after hearing English Light's voice.
I was agreeing on this for a while now. However, it IS only a trailer and I haven't seen a new clip about it for a while. Maybe Viz was only testing what the fans would think of this voice actor's job (probably a rookie). I could've been wrong when I said that most old voice actors get tired of their work. I think the higher ups are to blame for making mistakes like that. In the end, its the name and story that sells =/.

One things for sure though, I'm not buying the US DVDs because :

1. Possibility of Flat,Non-Intence generic voice acting(from newbies maybe) like RG and Jouhou pointed out.
2. Madhouses' poor motivation in the 2nd arc. (Are they really to blame? )
3. After watching 2 failure episodes (34 and 35) . This shows that no one really gave a shit about the second arc. Not enough Light Yagami dialogue, Misa's annoying personality and Less Appearances of Matt and Mello. This is where the dub comes in. Will they show/share the same feeling? Or get better at it at the last minute ;p.

All of that can change unless I get a list of who's voice acting who in it. Nothing else really matters.

Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:34 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 11:34 AM #518 of 573
For those of you who care, you can grab Animanda releases 1-31 here in one nice torrent package. I've never watched a release by them (after youtubing episodes by random subbers until epside 20, I stuck with Kuro Hana), but everyone says they released the best subs of Death Note.

TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:15 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 07:15 PM #519 of 573
Wow, episode 36 sure does end on a cliffhanger.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:25 PM #520 of 573
This pretty much means episode 37 will cram the last few chapters with loads of dialogue for the first 11 mins along with the turning point. Yagami's seiyuu did a great job acting crazy in the scene where he has that crazy look on his face.

I can't wait to see what I wanted to after reading the manga. take a hint!

EDIT: I almost forgot. For those who want the subbed version. Ruberia FS released it . Quality is alright so go download!

Last edited by chato; Jun 20, 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: subbed episode.
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:12 PM #521 of 573
So far 2 groups are in the game
Ruberia and C&D
What's C&D? Here's the comment they left. I lol'd
Quote:
Comment: Cease & Desist presents Death Note 36

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarknessTear
Metal Overman King Gainer

Member 2520

Level 14.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:15 PM #522 of 573
C&D is Kuro-Hana

Last time there was a C&D it was C1anime though.

Most amazing jew boots
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:24 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 12:24 AM #523 of 573
http://deathnote.viz.com/trailer_popup.php?t=3
Trailer form Viz, with Light's Voice and Ls voice through the filter
I'm not sure if i like Light's but well see what becomes of it, happy watcin
Well, I just watched through skipping jolts of sound and video, but for what it is, I don't think Light's voice isn't all that too far off than what the "image" of who Light actually is: an EMO kid basically trying to rid of the world's scum to paint a portrait of *his* picture perfect world. Regardless if you've heard the original Japanese voice acting or not, if the American voice actor is trying to portray strictly what Light is from reading strictly from the script, then the end product of that trailer is most likely close enough as it is.

somedude2387
Chocobo

Member 678

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:59 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 06:59 PM #524 of 573
Well, I just watched through skipping jolts of sound and video, but for what it is, I don't think Light's voice isn't all that too far off than what the "image" of who Light actually is: an EMO kid basically trying to rid of the world's scum to paint a portrait of *his* picture perfect world. Regardless if you've heard the original Japanese voice acting or not, if the American voice actor is trying to portray strictly what Light is from reading strictly from the script, then the end product of that trailer is most likely close enough as it is.
To me it Yagami's voice sounds a bit like what you'd get if the person who did ALaddin back in the day went a bit emo. It sounds a bit too Disney for me but totally shunning a whole show based on a trailer is judging a book by it's cover so I might wait until I see the first episode before I pass my judgement.

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
Woody Allen (1935 - )

Anyone know how to use alchemy?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:06 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 01:06 PM #525 of 573
To me it Yagami's voice sounds a bit like what you'd get if the person who did ALaddin back in the day went a bit emo. It sounds a bit too Disney for me but totally shunning a whole show based on a trailer is judging a book by it's cover so I might wait until I see the first episode before I pass my judgement.
I don't want to go back to my post above and have to re-explain myself, but yeah, if you were a EMO high school kid wanting to get rid of the "bad people" in the world, wouldn't what Yagami sounds like be some-what appropriate?

I'll agree with the majority here that yes, the voice acting is horrible and his voice is annoying compared to what we're all used to. But it isn't to say it's not fit for the act... if the voice matured along with the series and throughout the ending arcs (episodes 27~end) when Light's supposively 23-24 in age, then I probably wouldn't have a problem. For a 16, 17 year old, it seems appropriate for what it is now (the Light voice in the trailer).

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Death Note