Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Anime recommendations (based on previous material)

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Feb 9, 2009, 04:33 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2009, 10:33 PM #1 of 13
Anime recommendations (based on previous material)

Hi there,

I know there is already a anime recommendations thread here, but I would like to have some recommendations based on the material I've already seen and liked or disliked.

Well, I'll start with Studio Ghibli stuff:

Definitely loved:
- Princess Mononoke (my favorite 1)
- Spirited Away (my favorite 2)
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky
- Porco Rosso

Note: I really can't say which one ("Princess Mononoke" or "Spirited Away") is better, so both a my favorites

Also nice:
- Nausicaa
- My Neighbour Totoro
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Howl's Moving Castle

However I don't favor these as much as I do the other four ones. Probably because the first ones are focusing on more serious thematics. Nausicaa is an exception, I just think it isn't that well done - the story is quite good but the anime conversion could be better. Well, just my personal opinion.

Didn't watch "Tales of Earthsea" yet, nor "Ponyo on a Cliff". Ponyo looks quite childish to me (hell, even the songs are) and Earthsea didn't receive that good reviews...

Now leaving Ghibli territory:

I really loved "The Girl That Leapt Time", have the collector's box here. Really, really beautiful anime

Continuing with "Paprika" and "Tokyo Godfathers".
"Paprika" is a real killer. I bought it without any high expectation, but was really blown away by the style and the story. "Tokyo Godfathers" is also nice, but IMHO it can't reach Paprika. Storywise it's of course also interesting.

Also watched and liked "Tekkonkinkreet", the visuals are just stunning. Very beautiful and good storytelling. You can argue about the storyline itself, but I kinda liked it.

Leaving anime movie territory and entering episode-based stuff:
I think the first anime episodes I ever watched were Hellsing and GANTZ on the german MTV, but lets talk about that later...

I own the "Elfen Lied" Slimline Boxset, can really recommend it. Story is top-notch, probably you have to get used to it. Keeps good balance between harsh violence and emotional events. Really touched me

I've also read the Elfen Lied manga, so I know the anime is just focusing on a small part of the entire story (and modifies the end). Nonetheless I think both the manga and the anime are great. Each one does it's best.

Already mentioned "GANTZ", but to tell you the truth: I wasn't that impressed by it. I know the manga is far better, but the anime... well, it's just that there doesn't happen a lot - it's lacking pace and the characters don't seem to develop at all. Again, just my personal opinion

Next comes the "Hellsing anime" and the "Hellsing Ultimate OVAs" - I disliked both. I think both lack proper character development. Also it's kinda boring when you know that Alucard is going to win the fight anyway, that destroys a lot of the mood and tension.

It's not that I don't like the vampire genre, because: "BLOOD+" OMG!!
I'm still trying to get hold of the first part DVD release (AFAIK it covers the first 25 episodes). That anime series is just awesome. I think it has everything a good series needs, making it impossible to stop watching it even if it continously does emotionally shock you. I never felt so bad when main characters died

If there is anything similar to "BLOOD+" I have to know it!! *g*

And last but not least: FMP / Full Metal Panic

I watched the first series, the FUMOFFU one and TSR (including the OVA). Because I couldn't get enough I started reading the first manga (the one by Ratsu Tateo), finished and started with the bits of the Sigma manga that were already scanlated.

After this material was gone I started reading the books. Bought the first three which already have an english translation by TokyoPop. Finished them way to fast and turned over to the fan translations of the other ones.

Still reading these and hoping for a "Third Raid" or something like that

Currently watching: "Eureka Seven", but not fully convinced that this is a good series. I'm probably using the wrong audio - I usually watch my anime either with english synchro or with original japanese synchro and english subtitles. Most german synchros are quite bad in my opinion, especially FMP doesn't strike me that much when it's not the japanese audio.

So, that's the material that I have already watched.
Based on this information, what can you guys (gals are also invited) recommend?

Greets,
liquid

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Miho
Chocobo

Member 13767

Level 12.83

Oct 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:51 PM #2 of 13
There are some series I saw a while back, that left a strong impression on me. Starting with Noein, it's an action / science-fiction series about time-traveling and parallel universes. The action scenes are fast-paced and intense, all over the place. The animation has a water-color aesthetic to it. It looks pleasant to watch.

Another one you should look into is Gankutsuou. It's a re-telling of the story of The Count of Monte Cristo. The setting is contemporary, and pretty out there, visually. The animation style looks surreal; they use a variety of shapes and patterns, that you'd find on clothing. It takes a couple episodes to get used to the strange visual style, but your eyes adjust, eventually.

My last recommendation is currently airing, and that is Tytania. It's a science-fiction / space opera about a powerful empire called Tytania that rules over the galaxy, and deals with the aristocrats within the empire that rule with an iron fist. The guy on my avatar is one of the Dukes in the Tytania empire.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
yevheniy
Євгеній

Member 27697

Level 10.88

Jan 2008

Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:08 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2009, 11:08 PM #3 of 13
I would recommend checking out :
  • Kino's Journey
  • Mushishi
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Last Exile
  • NieA Under 7
  • Denno Coil
  • The Twelve Kingdoms
  • Now and Then, Here and There
  • Saikano
..they all sort of gave off a Ghibli vibe when I watched them

How ya doing, buddy?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:22 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2009, 01:22 AM #4 of 13
Hey, thanks guys! I already have access to Haibane Renmei (bought it for my sister's birthday so I think I can borrow it from her for a while), so I might watch this first.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Mar 6, 2009, 06:11 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2009, 12:11 AM #5 of 13
Adding additional information:

I'm half-through Eureka Seven (now with the japanese audio track and english subs) and it developed into a great series. Lovable characters, interesting story and nice plot twists. Keeps getting better with each episode.

I was speaking idiomatically.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:03 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2009, 08:03 PM #6 of 13
You'll love Honey and Clover if you liked Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Honey and Clover is just a lot more entertaining without sacrificing meaning and beauty.

Gankutsuou is amazing. I'll gladly double Aryabhata's recommendation for that as well. I'm not gonna say this recommendation was based off your Elfen Lied comment, but regardless, I'd recommend this, along with Honey and Clover, to anyone. You can find the reviews for both in the stickied recommendations thread.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:51 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2009, 12:51 AM #7 of 13
Thanks elwe! Honey and Clover looks interested, putting it on my "queue"

Also I just finished Eureka Seven. I can really recommend it!

Most amazing jew boots
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:15 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2009, 02:15 AM #8 of 13
Oh jesus, there's a bunch of things I'd recommend, simply because I thoroughly enjoyed them:
  • Trigun - older, quite entertaining, when I'm away from home on work, I can't help but watch this series. 26 episodes.
  • Black Lagoon - Another series I can't help but watch while away at work, very fantastic. 26 episodes.
  • Tytania - Another person mentioned this one, space opera. 26 episodes.
  • Natsume Yuujincho - a series about a young man who sees youkai. 13 episodes.
  • Zoku Natsume Yuujincho - continuation of Natsume Yuujinchou. 13 episodes.
  • Honey and Clover - like the other people mentioned, very cute series. 26 episodes plus 12(or 13) episode continuation.
  • Eureka Seven - Another series mentioned. 54(or there abouts) episodes.
  • Bonen no Xamdou - If you enjoyed Eureka Seven, more then likely you'll enjoy this series as well. 26 episodes.
  • Gunbuster - This series is from 1988, but has surprizingly good animation, and is very very awesome. 6 episodes(or a shortened movie form, I recommend getting the episodes, more to them).
  • Diebuster(AKA Gunbuster 2) - Watch after watching Gunbuster, this six episode series was done in 2004 I believe. Somewhere around there. 6 episodes(or a single movie format like the last one, pick the episodes).
  • Detroit Metal City - A series where it will be quite impossible for you to watch without laughing. 12 episodes(short, 12 minutes per episode).

• Last Exile - Another series' mentioned by someone else in this thread, definitely worth checking out. 26 episodes I believe.

I whole heartedly recommend all of these series' to people. The few of the movies I've seen have been recommended as well, but:
  • The Sword of the Stranger
  • The Sky Crawlers
  • The Girl Who Lepth Through Time
  • Mindgames
  • Tekkonkinkreet
  • 5 cm per second
  • Brave Story

How ya doing, buddy?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2009, 02:21 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2009, 12:21 AM #9 of 13
Has anyone said Monster yet? Because that's definitely pretty strong on my top 10 list because the series is packed with an engaging plot and characters who, though you may not like them, you can definitely sympathize with them (Eva and Detective Lunge comes to mind). The series also boasts one of the best villains out there who's sadistic to the very core and whose demeanor does an excellent job of giving you the creeps.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:33 PM Local time: Apr 1, 2009, 09:33 PM #10 of 13
[*]Honey and Clover - like the other people mentioned, very cute series. 26 episodes plus 12(or 13) episode continuation.
[*]The Girl Who Lepth Through Time[*]Tekkonkinkreet[*]5 cm per second
You, whoever you are, get props. Mostly for the H&C, but whatever.
Girl Who Leapt Through Time was indeed good, but it felt a bit lacking. Mind you, the animation was great, and the music was amazing, but it didn't quite do it for me. Perhaps it was the mounds of expectations I had for this. The same went for 5cm. Gorgeous, definitely, but by the end, I was kind of like "So what?" Again, it was a touching story, and it was absolutely gorgeous, but aside from that, and the attention to minute details, it didn't do much for me either.

Tekkonkinkreet, on the other hand, brought me back for at least 2 additional viewings. While unique, the art is great. I much prefer the previous two movies' style, but I can't argue over how amazing the cityscapes are in this series. Storywise, well, I can say it's dark. It's dark, a bit messed up, but very intriguing and fresh. You'll find yourself going WTF several times, but there was something strangely captivating about it. There was this heartwrenching beauty in the innocence of the little brother, who was purer than pure, yet on the brink of becoming tainted, all the while oblivious to the darkness around him. But anyways, do give this a viewing. It may be a bit slow at times, and I've gotten quite a bit of mixed reviews about this. It either hit home, or people just didn't get it at all. I'd suggest giving it a try though~

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:47 PM #11 of 13
ToraDora - I swear I thought I was expecting something along the lines of...same crappy storyline. However, I was proved wrong and this show turned out to be great. It started out great, it ended great but major propz to the creator to shorten the story so that the franchise doesn't end up like other on going stories. Propz to them and for those who haven't seen it yet, get to it. All episodes have aired.

And propz to good ol fans of Honey and Clover. For that, I must watch it again =]

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 02:44 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2009, 08:44 PM #12 of 13
I have finished and can recommend:
- Full Metal Alchemist (watched the 51 part series and the movie-length OVA)
- Romeo x Juliet

Currently watching Noein, kinda confusing at first - but I already like it

EDIT: Half through Noein - it's just great! Thanks again Miho for suggesting this.
I also started Honey and Clover, it's hilarious!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 03:53 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2009, 09:53 PM #13 of 13
Finished the Honey and Clover series (both volume 1 and 2) and Tytania.

Honey and Clover is very different from the anime I have already watched. I don't consider this a bad thing. Actually, it's really refreshing.

I think it's the anime that features the biggest use of super deformation (at least from the the list of series I've watched)

Animation is decent and the characters are unique. It's not hard to get involved in their emotional world. Maybe it has already been mentioned, but it's bittersweet storyline - lots of comedy but also very emotional and serious parts. It's a good mix so to speak.

A big thanks therefore goes to elwe for mentioning this
It's not entirely like TokiKake IMHO, but still a gem.

Tytania was also a good recommendation. I liked the visual style, quite different from what I know.

Character design is very good - Hyulick being the hero, although he doesn't want to be one, it's a good starting point. The rest of the crew is also likable - however some chars lack development.

What I didn't like was how they dealt with the Lira Florenz char. Plus the anime is a bit too short for all the development going on. What's with Idris' ambitions? What happens with Lydia? And so on.

Still a very good show!

--------------------

I'm still watching Noein. And trying to get a hold on Last Exile, but the IRC bot I'm fetching this from is kinda slow.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm also reading the Suzumiya Haruhi light novel series on Baka Tsuki - currently at the second novel. Can anyone comment on the anime adaption? I read through the first novel is one day - it's a very different approach on storytelling (the story itself centering on Haruhi, but the narrator being Kyon).

---------------------

EDIT2: I finished Noein. Maybe I should quote Raiha, since like he already said: It (Noein) "left a strong impression on me". It's really well done, especially the visual style is very nice when comparing it to the usual anime style.
I'm also a big fan of time travel and alternative reality stuff, so this show really satisfied my need for that kind of material

Still haven't started Last Exile and Haibane Renmei.

However I somehow "started" Toradora by accident (grabbing the wrong file on IRC). After watching the first episode I became curious and voila... I finished episode 25 (the last one) three days later. It's one of those anime where you just have to know what happens next - at least it was like that for me.

I'm currently watching: Code Geass, K-ON! and Eden of the East.
Code Geass is fun to watch (I'm a mecha fan after all *g*), but Eden of the East is probably the best show I have watch recently. K-ON! is also nice, providing you don't expect too much story

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Anime recommendations (based on previous material)