Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Virtual Console Secret Santa 2008. Give the gift of over priced NES games.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:29 PM #1 of 25
Virtual Console Secret Santa 2008. Give the gift of over priced NES games.

Do you want to participate in a gift exchange, but you're too fat and/or lazy to get off the couch? Then Virtual Console Secret Santa is the event for you! Simply spend between 1000 and 2000 Wii points on you Secret Santa, and you'll get some exciting surprise games of your own.

I've confirmed that Americans and Canadians can send to each other, but the region settings on the consoles must match. If you're Canadian, you'll need to change your region to the US until you've sent and received your games.

How this will work:
  • Participants must be active members; I reserve the right to include or exclude participants on an individual basis.
  • When you sign up, post your Wii friend code in this thread, or PM it to me.
  • If you want, post types of games you like (don’t mention a specific game you want, though, because that spoils the surprise), and any games you absolutely do NOT want to receive.
  • Posting what VC games you have isn't required, since Nintendo won’t let you gift something your friend has. However, if you have a Backloggery page, posting the link would be greatly appreciated.
  • Spend at least 1000 points but no more than 2000 points. This means you can buy one or two expensive games, or a bunch of NES games; it’s up to you.
  • When sign-ups close, I’ll PM each participant 2 friend codes to add to their Wii. The first code will be the person they’re receiving a gift from, and the second code will be the person they’re buying a gift for.

I plan to close sign-ups on December 12. If there are still folks signing up at that point, I might extend it another day or so, but that probably won’t be necessary. Once sign-ups close, I’ll PM out the information, and participants will have through Christmas Day to send their gifts.

Participants:
1. nuttyturnip
2. Chaotic
3. Omnislash124
4. Tritoch
5. Identity Crisis

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by nuttyturnip; Nov 30, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:40 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2008, 07:40 PM #2 of 25
Set up a redirect in community for this, nutty, since it sorta kinda fits there too. That said, do you want a sticky?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:20 PM #3 of 25
Yes, to both. Thanks much, Skills.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:04 PM #4 of 25
Definitely up for this again.

Sign me up.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:33 AM #5 of 25
Ah, I had fun with this last year. I'm in again.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:58 PM #6 of 25
I've been looking forward to this for awhile, especially with WiiWare increasing the possibilities.

7718 5677 8179 7406

Here's the link to my Backloggery. I update it pretty religiously, so it's accurate for all systems.

I'm interested in RPGs and platformers mainly, but I also like quick pick up and play stuff as long as it's fun. My Backloggery already shows this, but I pretty much have or have played in the past all the usual stuff like Mario, Kirby, and Metroid games. Mario 64 is the only possible exception since I don't really have a version of that worth playing with the DS version's terrible control scheme.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:52 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2008, 11:52 PM #7 of 25
I do wonder now what happens if someone gifts you a game you already have on the VC...

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:00 AM #8 of 25
You probably just have to hit the option to send the gift back and refund their points. I did that last year when Acer sent me Ocarina of Time since I already had the Master's Quest disc.

Edit: Nutty says if they already have it on VC then it won't let them send it in the first place.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:09 AM #9 of 25
Yeah, if someone has a game on VC (or I assume WiiWare), Nintendo won't let you gift it to them again. The problems we ran into last year were people gifting things that folks had in their original form (on NES, SNES, etc.). That's why having a Backloggery makes things much easier (but it's not required).

Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:16 AM Local time: Nov 30, 2008, 12:16 AM #10 of 25
Count me in. Just to make sure we don't wind up with some confusion when distributing gifts, is it possible that two people could wind up with each other as their Secret Santas?

I'm not speaking out of personal experience if that's what you're thinking. Ohohoho.

Friend Code: 6341 8887 2757 5098
Backloggery: LINKY

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:59 AM #11 of 25
Once again, much like last year, I forgot to post my friend code in the first post, so copying and pasting from last year's post, I assume my friend code hasn't changed, so it should be 8397-9239-3186-9121

Backloggery link should be in my signature, but in either case it's here.

As for preferences, I'd say same as last year, that is, preferences to RPGs (Strategy or Turn Based) and Platformers. Preferably not Sports or Fighting.

How ya doing, buddy?

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Last edited by Omnislash124; Nov 30, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:48 AM #12 of 25
Count me in. Just to make sure we don't wind up with some confusion when distributing gifts, is it possible that two people could wind up with each other as their Secret Santas?

I'm not speaking out of personal experience if that's what you're thinking. Ohohoho.
It's possible, but unlikely. I'll just throw everyone's number in a random number generator, and the order that comes out will be the chain (if I got 51423, then 5 would send to 1, 1 would send to 4, etc.) I'll also try to make sure participants don't end up sending to the same person as last year.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:49 AM #13 of 25
The deadline for this is tomorrow, and we've got 5 people signed up. I suppose we'll still do it, but seeing as we had 15 people last year, it's going to be kind of lame.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:18 PM #14 of 25
Secret Santa info has been PM'd.

Since I didn't do it before, here's the link to my Backloggery, which is up to date. I like platformers, rpgs, and puzzle games the most, but just about anything will do.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:54 PM #15 of 25
Time to buy me a card and actually hook my system back up. :x

Direct Backloggery Link to VC Games: Here

I don't own any WiiWare games, so it would be nice to have something from there. If not, I'm in to just about anything as long as it's good.

FELIPE NO
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:00 PM #16 of 25
A reminder to all participants: Please enter the friend codes that I sent out into your Wii. I've had several people tell me that they're unable to send gifts because their friend codes aren't confirmed.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:04 PM #17 of 25
Just got and sent my gifts out.

It was kind of odd, because I had added everybody's friend code first as well as their names, so it wasn't exactly secretive since the Wii Shop channel was kind enough to inform me where the gift had come from by name.

As for an ironic twist, the person I was sending to already had his/her number registered in my Wii as "Mystery" which I would guess to be the person who I received gifts from last year. So I ended up knowing who I got my gifts from and "not knowing" who I gave my gifts to.

EDIT:

Either way, sweet. Big thanks to my Secret Santa. Secret of Mana and LostWinds. I've always been interested in trying out Secret of Mana from playing Seiken Densetsu 3, but I never actually got the chance to. But I have good faith that if I enjoyed the sequel, the prequel should be just as good. LostWinds might possibly be the only WiiWare game that has gone around this year. I heard this game was interesting and was planning on trying it out, but the price really deterred me earlier. It seems that that's no longer the case though. Thanks again!

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Last edited by Omnislash124; Dec 21, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:53 PM #18 of 25
I haven't had the chance to hook up my Wii and add the codes just yet. I'll be doing that as soon as I get back home.

I'm a little short on money as of now, so I might not be able to pick up a Wii Points card until after Christmas as well.

Apologies to the one I'm sending to. It just sucks being a poor college student trying to mind his family first before anything. T_T

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:56 PM #19 of 25
I haven't had the chance to hook up my Wii and add the codes just yet. I'll be doing that as soon as I get back home.

I'm a little short on money as of now, so I might not be able to pick up a Wii Points card until after Christmas as well.

Apologies to the one I'm sending to. It just sucks being a poor college student trying to mind his family first before anything. T_T
If you're short on money, I could just drop you from the event, and have the person who was going to send to you, send to your SS instead.

Oh, and thanks to my Secret Santa, who sent me Secret of Mana and Shining Force II. I played Secret of Mana way back when I had just started high school, so I look forward to trying it again. I've never played Shining Force II on a console; I had an emulator that I fooled with on my ancient laptop in college, but I'm happy to have a real version to play (and maybe complete this time). Thanks!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by nuttyturnip; Dec 21, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:18 AM #20 of 25
If that's the case to make it even, then so be it.

Sorry though. T_T

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:11 AM #21 of 25
Sorry Chaotic, but it's not fair to make your Secret Santa wait. Thanks for dropping out, so we can get this finished on time.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:06 AM #22 of 25
Huzzah, I got my gifts in the wee hours of the morning. Well, that was when my Wii started flashing at least. Thanks to my secret santa for Breath of Fire II and Earthworm Jim.

I've been thinking of buying Breath of Fire II for ages, but never actually done it. The original BoF was pretty fun, so hopefully this will be too. As for Earthworm Jim, well, I'm just as terrible at it as I remember. I've only played it on emulators a long time ago, but the years haven't improved my skills any. With a bit of practice maybe I can beat the first boss. Possibly. At least this one doesn't have that accursed granny staircase.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:02 PM #23 of 25
That wraps up this year's VC Secret Santa. I'd like to say stay tuned for next year, but given we only ended up with 4 participants this year (and 3 of us knew each other), I doubt this will happen again. Maybe I'll organize something more informally in my journal.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:44 PM #24 of 25
So I was the odd man out? Because I don't know anybody on that list.

Either way, I had fun. Secret of Mana for the win.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:47 PM #25 of 25
I want to start Secret of Mana myself, but I'm leaving town on Tuesday, and stupid Nintendo doesn't have any sort of portability.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Virtual Console Secret Santa 2008. Give the gift of over priced NES games.