Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Professor So-and-So?

Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:38 PM #51 of 59
It depends on my professor, really. There were some of them who were younger and didn't like being called Professor, so their first name was easy to use. Others were older and it was just natural. There was one who insisted you use his "Dr." title... guess he earned it, I suppose.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:42 PM #52 of 59
I agree with Diversion, it really depends who which on of them I'm talking to. I usually just default to calling them sir or miss/madame (depending on what class I'm in) if I have to give them a title. Mostly I don't even have to call them by any name, one of us will just start talking.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Baaah~
Tir
Sneaky

Member 1176

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:15 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:15 PM #53 of 59
Originally Posted by Kishin
It's "Hey you, wait". Always has been.

Why do they run away from students.
Ahaha, too true.

I've never used anything polite, like Mr. or Ms. but then again, in Finland no student is polite enough to use that kind of language. Or wasn't in our school.

I was speaking idiomatically.
masamune_3
Parkouring Ninja

Member 913

Level 3.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:17 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:17 PM #54 of 59
Rule 1: Dont look your professor directly in the eyes
Rule 2: Do not speak unless your professor has asked you a question
I haven't talked to my professors enough to really get on a first name basis, but I just say Dr.________

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
That's me in the avatar.
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:26 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:26 PM #55 of 59
Really it depends on how well I know the person. If they ask that I call them Mr. or Mrs. something, then yes I will. But if I know them really well outside of school and things are much more casual, then it's Dick, Jane, etc.

Take for example: I have a teacher named Lauren Monko. I am not in school anymore, so whenever we see each other I call her Lauren (this is with her permission), but if we're ever in front of her students, it's "Mrs. Monko". See?

FELIPE NO
Koneko
Procrastinating Artist Extraordinaire

Member 1046

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 07:03 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 05:03 PM #56 of 59
Depending on the teacher, I have come to accept that I can call a teacher by their first time. Sometimes I do it when I cant pronounce their last name.

It is wierd to be able to talk so casually with teachers when for 13 years or so I was taught "That's MRS. so-and-so" or "MR. so-and-so"

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:35 PM #57 of 59
Well, I don't have any professors, but I have been raised to call elders by Mrs. or Mr. {insert last name}. However, I usually try to mention names when I talk. First of all, they know I'm talking to them and, if not, I can grab their attention somehow.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:20 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 01:50 AM #58 of 59
Usually I just default to "Professor so-and-so", since I don't bother keeping up on who has a doctorate and who doesn't. There's been a stray teacher who insisted on being called by their first name, which felt a bit weird, and my Japanese teacher went by Kubota-sensei, but most teachers seem fine with "Professor".

There's nowhere I can't reach.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Crowdmaker
I should be working

Member 950

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:48 PM #59 of 59
Hmm. I guess it depends. I'm in a west coast school where everything is pretty informal, and so I assume the default of first name. But coming from Africa it definately felt weird for a while not calling everyone sir or madam and by their last names. But I guess I take a cue from how they address themselves. Some ask specifically for first-name basis, some implicitly by signing off as Jeremy in their e-mails or Dr. Mesa. Failing that, if s/he's a cool, young and friendly person, I assume first names. If they're an old fuddy-duddy (I've wanted to say that for ages!), then it's Pr. Palumbo-Liu or whatever.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Professor So-and-So?