Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The 2005-2006 NBA Season Discussion Thread

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:50 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:50 PM #1 of 546
The 2005-2006 NBA Season Discussion Thread

Because basketball is about the only sport I even attempt to watch.

Anyway, you know the drill. Talk about the season in general, your favorite team, early playoff predictions, yada yada yada.

And here is my obligatory Go Spurs Go! chant.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:30 PM #2 of 546
Some random thoughts about the season so far:

- The Pistons are very, very scary

- Steve Nash is having a better season than last year, when he won MVP

- Those Cleveland fans who booed Lebron James last week don't deserve him

- Iggy got robbed in the Dunk Contest

- Josh Smith: You can't put tape there, and jump from somewhere else

- Players that should be in every Dunk Contest: Lebron James, Vince Carter, Desmond Mason, Jason Richardson, Andre Iguodala

- Kobe Bryant. Meet Lamar Odom. He is your talented teammate

- Allen Iverson is the greatest 6-feet-and-under player in league history

- Melo is more clutch than Lebron, at this point in their careers

- The Air Jordans XXI is dope; the TV spot is genius

- Kobe Bryant. Meet Kwame Brown. He is your ... uhh never mind

- Chris Bosh will be an all-star for years to come

- Ernie, Chuck, and Kenny are too funny

- Kevin Garnett is a better player than Tim Duncan

- Coach of the year so far: Flip Saunders

- MVP so far: Chauncey Billups

- Most impressive player this season: Lebron James (near 31-7-7)

- Most dominant player this season: Kobe Bryant

- Most surprising team this season: NO/Oklahoma City Hornets

- Someone please explain to me what the Knicks management has been doing

- What I want to see: The Timberwolves making the Playoffs

How ya doing, buddy?
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:46 PM #3 of 546
I have a thought about the NBA. It sucks. Seriously what happened to competition? It's not who has the best record anymore, it's who doesn't have the worst record. coughknickscough

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:49 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 09:49 PM #4 of 546
Originally Posted by Timberwolf

- Kobe Bryant. Meet Lamar Odom. He is your talented teammate

- Kevin Garnett is a better player than Tim Duncan

- Most dominant player this season: Kobe Bryant

- Of course. It's pretty stupid boo your best player under any circumstances.

- If only that was actually something new for Kobe.

- If only that were true (which it never will be).

- As much as I don't like him, I would have to agree with that.

I'm mainly just glad that I don't have to worry about my team going to the playoffs. Once they are there is when I'll start to worry (but not much).

How ya doing, buddy?
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:11 PM #5 of 546
I guess the KG vs. Duncan debate is always an interesting one.

With the exception of the 2003-2004 season, Duncan's teams have always been better than Garnett's. This year, Parker has been a beast. The Spurs success this year can be attributed just as much to Parker as it can to Duncan, who's currently averaging a career-low 19.0 points to Parker's 19.4. Then there's always the ever-reliable Ginobili, Horry, Finley, and Bowen.

KG has Ricky Davis ... and Marcus Banks, Rashad McCants, and Mark Blount.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:24 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:24 PM #6 of 546
Yeah, both Duncan and Parker have been really good this year, though it seems that Parker has had a slight edge over Duncan recently.

And on a totally unrelated note, have you heard Tony Parker rapping? If you haven't, trust me, you probably don't want to. I won't be looking forward to Tony P.'s (yes, that's his rap name) new album this fall.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:29 PM #7 of 546
Originally Posted by RockgamerXIII
And on a totally unrelated note, have you heard Tony Parker rapping? If you haven't, trust me, you probably don't want to. I won't be looking forward to Tony P.'s (yes, that's his rap name) new album this fall.
Haha, really? He really oughtta stick to basketball.

What would Eva think.

FELIPE NO
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:56 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:56 PM #8 of 546
Tony-P... wow. As long as he doesn't start promoting it Artest-style during in-game interviews. David Stern (the beast that he is) will pull the leash on that one.

- Iggy got robbed in the Dunk Contest

- The Air Jordans XXI is dope; the TV spot is genius

- MVP so far: Chauncey Billups

- Most surprising team this season: NO/Oklahoma City Hornets

- Someone please explain to me what the Knicks management has been doing
-Good job, Cleveland.

-True.

-That commercial is currently the most awe-inspiring commercial in my opinion. Perhaps it is the best commercial ever, but that may be biased.

-Agreed.

-The Hornets have been very good. Chris Paul is quickly rising to NBA stardom' nothing is slowing him down. David West is emerging. It's surprising, indeed.

-Isaiah Thomas needs to quickly sign me to a $35 million 5-year deal due to my proneness to the turnover, my 5-foot-1 frame, my unstoppable defense, and my ability to eventually nail a three given several opportunities.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:10 AM #9 of 546
Originally Posted by nazpyro

-That commercial is currently the most awe-inspiring commercial in my opinion. Perhaps it is the best commercial ever, but that may be biased.
The entire Air Jordans XXI campaign is just so wonderfully crafted. The print ads themselves are beautiful -- with the red laces forming XXI and looking eerily like DNA strands, which fits perfectly with the whole "Second Generation" and "heritage" motifs.

And the TV spot ... it's just amazing. Everything from the music and pacing, to the different ethnicities of the young players, to showcasing both genders, and to faithfully mirroring some of MJ's greatest moves and moments -- it's just brilliantly made.

I spent a good two hours on the Nike Jumpman site last week, just looking at the content and checking out the entire XXI campaign.

Last edited by Timberwolf; Mar 5, 2006 at 12:14 AM.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:16 PM #10 of 546
I would also like to add

-The Portland Trailblazers are the biggest joke ever ^_^

How ya doing, buddy?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:39 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:39 PM #11 of 546
Originally Posted by Slash
I would also like to add

-The Portland Trailblazers are the biggest joke ever ^_^
Oh yeah, it's great. Even sophmore Sebastian Telfair has gotten into the Jailblazer's modus operandi, bringing in a loaded gun into an airport. Of course, it was for protection against former team nutcase, Ruben Patterson. It's sad that they traded away the self-proclaimed Kobe-stopper. They should have acquired Ron Artest to form the most ridiculous "basketball" team ever. There would be no basketball; it would just be war.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:50 AM #12 of 546
It's funny how Rasheed has a ring now. It's clear that the Blazers's problems didn't stem from Rasheed. That entire organization is in a ditch, with a really negative vibe.

At least they don't have a payroll like the Knicks. And oh, I just noticed the other week, that Eddy Curry averages 0.3 assists per game.

I didn't know that was possible.

Curry also averages 2.76 turnovers per game. Which means he is NINE times more likely to cough up the ball than to make an assist.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Timberwolf; Mar 5, 2006 at 12:54 AM.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:35 PM #13 of 546
Trying to choose between Duncan or Garnett is pointless really. They're both incredible players and you could build a team around either of them. It's just that Duncan has had more help over the years than the Big Ticket.

The Pistons, even though they are coming back down to earth a bit, are still the class of the league right now. Flip Saunders is definitely the Coach of the Year and Chauncey Billups has my vote for MVP. WTF was Larry Brown thinking?

The west is going to go down the wire between the Spurs and Mavericks. The Suns, with Stoudemire's return looming, won't be too far behind either. I'm picking San Antonio to be on top when it's all said and done. They have the experience and toughness. Dallas' defense is starting to crumble and that will hurt them down the stretch.

The Air Jordan XXI commerical is simply phenomenal. I just took a tour on the Jumpman23 website and downlaoded it and pretty much all of the desktop wallpapers. Nike is doing an incredible job with the campaign. I'll definitely be picking up some of those kicks.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by bishop743; Mar 8, 2006 at 07:45 PM.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:08 PM #14 of 546
I've never owned a pair of Air Jordans before. They were always too out of my spending comfort zone.

But the AJ XXI is really lookin' good. I love the red version.

I probably still won't be able to afford a pair. I'll do what I normally do, go to stores and gawk at them.

Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:34 PM #15 of 546
Just watched the Sixers lose to the Nuggets. The Sixers have dropped three straight close games, and are now under .500 for the first time since mid-February.

Iggy needs to get more touches and be more involved/integrated in the offense. The guy is really, really talented. We all saw what he did in the Rookie Challenge during All-Star weekend.

And Iverson -- this guy is just a pure joy to watch. Sure, he doesn't get up as high as he used to -- I mean, the little guy used to dunk on people -- but he doesn't seem to have lost a step at all. Jerry Colangelo has made a big mistake not inviting AI to tryout for the USA Team.

There's still nobody better at creating his own shot in the league than AI. Iverson in the open court at full sprint is just ill. And I never get tired of watching him break down defenders. He just pitbulls and crosses them to death.

*Sizes up defender*
*Changes pace of dribble*
*Forces defender to retreat*
*Gives defender a little cross*
*Gives slight hesitation*
*Gives defender a hard cross*
*WIDE OPEN*

FELIPE NO
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:38 PM #16 of 546
I can't take Webber and Salmons anymore. I just can't.

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:57 PM #17 of 546
Jerry Colangelo has made a big mistake not inviting AI to tryout for the USA Team.
I concur, man. At the 2004 Summer Games, AI played his heart out and was a great leader on that team. I know Colangelo is going for a different team this year (not putting a bunch of all-stars together, but instead, making a cohesive team with role players and such) but Iverson deserves to be on the team. He's expressed a huge interest in being apart of the squad again.

Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:26 PM #18 of 546
Anyone see the Penny Hardaway interview last night on TNT? I feel for him, and I hope he comes back. When I first started following basketball -- during the mid-90's when I was like eleven -- Penny and Shaq were my favourite players. And the Orlando Magic was my team.

I loved Penny's game. His game was so clean and polished. His court vision and understanding of the game were almost Magic (Johnson)-like. Great passer, terrific post-up game, clutch shooter, smart player. He was athletic, unselfish, clean-cut, marketable, and simply fun to watch. There's a reason why Penny was one of the most popular, well-liked players in the mid-90's.

Sadly, all the injuries, rehab, and the ensuing negative press had taken so much away from Penny's game. I'm still a Penny Hardaway fan, though.

And I hope to see him in uniform next season.

... Back to this Colangelo-Iverson thing:

I wonder what Colangelo's thought process was. Was he thinking that Iverson isn't enough of a team player to be on team, and that Iverson is a ball dominator? Well, Kobe's on the team. How would Colangelo explain that.

Was he thinking that Iverson will be 33 when the 2008 Beijing Games begin, and thus too old? Well, Shaq still has an open invitation to join the team, and he'll be 36 in 2008. Explain that, Colangelo.

Was he thinking that he already has enough scorers? Wait a minute -- Gilbert Arenas, but not Allen Iverson? Uh, right.

Was he thinking that he already has enough point guards? Wait a minute -- Chris Paul and Luke Ridnour, but not Allen Iverson? Riiiiight.

Just look at this roster:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ter/index.html

Is Colangelo actually saying there's no room for Allen Iverson on this roster. That he'd rather have Luke Ridnour?

I hope this USA Team implodes when Kobe Bryant, out of a bogus attempt to get his USA teammates involved, tries to pass the ball and hits Lamar Odom at the back of the head.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 05:04 PM #19 of 546
Anyone see the Penny Hardaway interview last night on TNT? I feel for him, and I hope he comes back. When I first started following basketball -- during the mid-90's when I was like eleven -- Penny and Shaq were my favourite players. And the Orlando Magic was my team.

I loved Penny's game. His game was so clean and polished. His court vision and understanding of the game were almost Magic (Johnson)-like. Great passer, terrific post-up game, clutch shooter, smart player. He was athletic, unselfish, clean-cut, marketable, and simply fun to watch. There's a reason why Penny was one of the most popular, well-liked players in the mid-90's.

Sadly, all the injuries, rehab, and the ensuing negative press had taken so much away from Penny's game. I'm still a Penny Hardaway fan, though.

And I hope to see him in uniform next season.
Penny Hardaway's game was beautiful to watch. But his career, much like Ken Griffey Jr.'s, has been hampered by injuries way too much over the years. Both of them had opportunities to be great, GREAT players. I hope that Hardaway somehow makes a comeback, much like Griffey seems to be doing now.

... Back to this Colangelo-Iverson thing:

I wonder what Colangelo's thought process was. Was he thinking that Iverson isn't enough of a team player to be on team, and that Iverson is a ball dominator? Well, Kobe's on the team. How would Colangelo explain that.

Was he thinking that Iverson will be 33 when the 2008 Beijing Games begin, and thus too old? Well, Shaq still has an open invitation to join the team, and he'll be 36 in 2008. Explain that, Colangelo.

Was he thinking that he already has enough scorers? Wait a minute -- Gilbert Arenas, but not Allen Iverson? Uh, right.

Was he thinking that he already has enough point guards? Wait a minute -- Chris Paul and Luke Ridnour, but not Allen Iverson? Riiiiight.

Just look at this roster:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ter/index.html

Is Colangelo actually saying there's no room for Allen Iverson on this roster. That he'd rather have Luke Ridnour?

I hope this USA Team implodes when Kobe Bryant, out of a bogus attempt to get his USA teammates involved, tries to pass the ball and hits Lamar Odom at the back of the head.
I agree with all of that except for the Chris Paul part. He's by far the rookie of the year this season and he's the main attraction on the most suprising team of this year, the New Orleans Hornets. He deserves to be on the team. I'll give you Luke Ridnour though. I don't see why he's on the team. It's not like he's done anything in the NBA his entire career to warrant this selection.

Also, I was checking out AI's stats, and I just realized how high his assist numbers have been on the last couple years. In this last last three seasons he's been averaging over 6 APG. Most people consider him just a scorer but, when he has help, he's one of the best ball distrubuters in the game.

Most amazing jew boots
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 05:11 PM #20 of 546
Oh definitely, Chris Paul is a terrific young talent. I didn't mean to knock his game. I was just saying, given the choice of Chris Paul or Allen Iverson -- I'd pick AI ten times out of ten

Young Chris Paul has got ROY locked up, though. They may as well hand him the trophy now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:13 PM #21 of 546
Oh definitely, Chris Paul is a terrific young talent. I didn't mean to knock his game. I was just saying, given the choice of Chris Paul or Allen Iverson -- I'd pick AI ten times out of ten

Young Chris Paul has got ROY locked up, though. They may as well hand him the trophy now.
Oh, I see. My bad for misunderstanding you. I thought you were saying Paul didn't deserve to be on the roster. But yeah, I get you now. Of course, if I had to choose between having Iverson or Paul on my team, I'd take AI in a heartbeat. I'm sure 99% would be the same way. Is that roster you linked to the permanent roster?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:08 PM #22 of 546
That roster is the list of 23 players invited to tryout for the team.

They will cut that number down to 12 for the Beijing Games in 2008. (But they'll probably have a larger roster for the World Championships later this year.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...3/10/team.usa/

It's almost certain that the likes of Luke Ridnour will be cut.

But poor AI...

Never mind the fact that Allen Iverson had actually wanted to play for Team USA. Never mind what Allen Iverson brings to any backcourt (unparalled speed and quickness, court vision, veteran leadership, heart and passion, speed and quickness, pitbull defense, pitbull offense, drawing of double-teams, speed and quickness). Never mind the fact that Allen Iverson would invariably boost the TV ratings, popularity, and exposure for this USA squad.

Never mind all that. ...What really upsets a lot of people is that Allen Iverson wasn't even invited to tryout.

Last edited by Timberwolf; Mar 10, 2006 at 08:23 PM.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:11 PM #23 of 546
But poor AI...

Never mind the fact that Allen Iverson had actually wanted to play for Team USA. Never mind what Allen Iverson brings to any backcourt (unparalled speed and quickness, court vision, veteran leadership, heart and passion, speed and quickness, pitbull defense, pitbull offense, drawing of double-teams, speed and quickness). Never mind the fact that Allen Iverson would invariably boost the TV ratings, popularity, and exposure for this USA squad.

Never mind all that. ...What really upsets a lot of people is that Allen Iverson wasn't even invited to tryout.
Yeah, seriously man, I'm with you on that one. I don't get Colangelo when it comes to this choice, or lack thereof. Shortly before the All-Star break, AI went to him personally and expressed his interest in being included on the team again. It's a damn shame, really.

FELIPE NO
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:55 PM #24 of 546
If I could pick any twelve (U.S.-native) players to play for the 2008 USA squad...

Starters:
C-Tim Duncan
PF-Kevin Garnett
SF-Lebron James
SG-Dwyane Wade
PG-Allen Iverson

Bench:
C- Amare Stoudamire (only if he's healthy; if not, Dwight Howard)
PF- Shawn Marion
SF- Carmelo Anthony
SG- Ray Allen
PG- Chauncey Billups
C- Ben Wallace
F- Tayshaun Prince

It's a nice blend of players.

You've got low-post reliability: Duncan Amare, KG
You've got athleticism: Marion, Lebron, KG, AI
You've got 3-point shooters: Ray, Chauncey, Lebron
You've got scorers: AI, Lebron, Melo, Wade
You've got speed: AI, Lebron, Wade, KG
You've got size: KG, Duncan, Amare
You've got guys who can play more than two positions: KG, Lebron, Melo
You've got power: Amare, Big Ben, Lebron
You've got rebounders: KG, Big Ben, Duncan
You've got shotblockers: Big Ben, Amare, Duncan, KG
You've got shutdown kings: Prince, KG, Big Ben
You've got clutch players: Duncan, Melo, Wade
You've got youth: Lebron, Melo, Wade, Amare
You've got veteran leadership: KG, Duncan, AI, Ray
You've got guys who can excel without the ball: Prince, Big Ben, KG, Marion
You've got unselfish players: EVERYONE

This team would win gold. Easy.

bishop743, if you could put together a team for 2008, who would you roll with?

Edit: Just in case anyone's wondering, the reason I didn't include T-Mac is this:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/3715925.html

You can only wonder what his back will be like in 2008.

Last edited by Timberwolf; Mar 10, 2006 at 10:15 PM.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:03 AM #25 of 546
Damn Timberwolf, that's one hell of team. I'm sure I couldn't pick a better roster than that. I also like how you broke it down to show how the team fit all the different criteria. I've joked a couple times with friends about Team USA just sending the Pistons to win it all in '08, but yeah man, your picks are right-on. Very nice and detalied as well.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The 2005-2006 NBA Season Discussion Thread