Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Comic Book Thread

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:35 AM #51 of 81
Spider-Man seems to be the overwhelming choice... did either of those series start recently, or will I be digging through the boxes trying to find back-issues?

Also Zerg, I cant agree with you more on Fables. I've been reading the compilations (those have been screwing me lately as I have to wait for each new one to come out. Y: The Last Man was the most memorable... I had to wait months for the last compilation to come out. Drove me nuts.), so I've read all but the most recent issues. Fantastic modern take on the old stories.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:50 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 02:50 PM #52 of 81
If you were to officially request copies, I am sure we'll be able to hook you up with some ... digital samples. If you are not inclined to these digital samples, it shouldn't be too difficult to snag back-issues of "Brand New Day", since the storyline (ASM 546) has started in January 2008.

Have you given Planetary a try? It's an interesting take on the concept of superheroes.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:04 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 04:04 PM #53 of 81
Brand new day sucked tho..
Read ultimate spiderman instead. Or that superhero comic.. damn cant remember the name, it's pretty much a parody of all superhero comics, a teen with a yellow suit..

Or you could like read the superhero oneshots, like Batman: The longest halloween (in b4 Deni Loeb whining)

no homo
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:16 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 07:16 AM #54 of 81
Brand new day sucked tho..
This man will only recommend you garbage.

Invincible from Image is a good superhero comic as well, that's what Zip was trying to reference while trying to tell you not to read something good.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:56 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 07:56 PM #55 of 81
How is brand new day good? they undid everything that happened in the last couple of years and the ending was beyond stupid.
i mean
Spoiler:
the way Peter and Mj finally got together was so awesome, really wellwritten and nice and then they just kick them apart again.
Although i liked the kid and all but to me it just looked like they had done a bunch of crap and they didnt know how to fix it all and just pressed a reset button

How ya doing, buddy?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:15 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 11:15 AM #56 of 81
Spidey is young again. Harp on continuity all you want (because it's meaningless), Brand New Day is fun to read. Yes, there are things that don't quite mesh with continuity, but this is the new status quo. Peter has his best friend back, is single, has a bunch of new but somehow similar problems to deal with... it's Spider-Man.

If the only thing you can throw at it is "It doesn't match up with the past few years", then you're missing the whole point of "The past few years haven't exactly been all that great." Brand New Day is worth your time, if you want to talk about how we got here, then you're not talking about Brand New Day and you want to have a discussion about continuity patch comics which is dumb.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:09 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 01:09 PM #57 of 81
The continuity is not the only problem, you goof. It's that they threw out a large plot element of the last twenty years just so we could have a terrible redux of '70s "single and swinging" Spidey. It's not "fun". It's just crappy repackaging with additional retarded elements (Jackpot), most of which the nonexistence of the marriage is irrelevant to.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:15 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 12:15 PM #58 of 81
It's that they threw out a large plot element of the last twenty years just so we could have a terrible redux of '70s "single and swinging" Spidey. It's not "fun". It's just crappy repackaging with additional retarded elements (Jackpot), most of which the nonexistence of the marriage is irrelevant to.
You're still talking about continuity, though.

Trying to call the book something it isn't is also excellent comedy. To say this book reads like it's from the 70s is a nice attempt at that (and a point), but ultimately how does this read like it's from the 70s? Because the material is similar in nature? I hate to break it to you, but cries of "It could have been interesting" regarding where Spidey was previously don't mean anything, because what we were getting was anything but.

You have a new and interesting cast of characters, and a hard reboot. This is the new status quo, accept it or stop buying the book. But don't try to justify your choice by calling the book something it isn't.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 03:50 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 10:50 PM #59 of 81
Spidey is young again. Harp on continuity all you want (because it's meaningless), Brand New Day is fun to read. Yes, there are things that don't quite mesh with continuity, but this is the new status quo. Peter has his best friend back, is single, has a bunch of new but somehow similar problems to deal with... it's Spider-Man.

If the only thing you can throw at it is "It doesn't match up with the past few years", then you're missing the whole point of "The past few years haven't exactly been all that great." Brand New Day is worth your time, if you want to talk about how we got here, then you're not talking about Brand New Day and you want to have a discussion about continuity patch comics which is dumb.
I did not like most of JMS writing, it just feels so lame that they undid everything that happened in that fashion.
Althought i have to admit i only read around 7 issues of brand new day, so I shouldnt have said it was bad without doing my research.

I still like Loeb though :lol:

no homo

Last edited by Zip; Nov 18, 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 18, 2008, 03:52 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 01:52 PM #60 of 81
Long Halloween was good... it's all downhill for Loeb after that. Honestly, you can't look at his recent work and say it's been anything but painful, but we should spare Loeb the attention (unless it's gonna be hilarious jabbing like Ultimate Edit week at 4thletter).

Edit: Actually, I thought Spirit and Batman crossover was good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:59 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 06:59 AM #61 of 81
I still like Loeb though :lol:
Loeb's been sucking for the past few years. He writes with the same fucking formula every fucking time. Sure, he did some good Batman stuff (Catwoman: When in Rome is also passable). But like what rotor said, it's all downhill after that. His Hush only sold because Jim Lee was drawing it. Ultimates 3 sucked, Ultimate Power sucked, Onslaught Reborn sucked, he got kicked out of Heroes, I mean he can write, but he should write better stuff than the crap he's putting out lately. I haven't really met anyone who likes Loeb. Aside from Zip.

As for BND, I can't see why people are hating it. Sure it was a "lame" attempt to reboot Spidey, but the main point was to make the character last longer and to give future creators options on where they'll take Spidey. I guess this discussion's been all over the internet, and I'm not forcing people to like (or not like) BND and post-BND Spidey, but I guess people should try to lighten up and try to read the new stories and then if they don't like it, then they don't like it. Ultimate Spider-Man is great though. Solid.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:47 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 02:47 AM #62 of 81
Loeb's been sucking for the past few years. He writes with the same fucking formula every fucking time. Sure, he did some good Batman stuff (Catwoman: When in Rome is also passable). But like what rotor said, it's all downhill after that. His Hush only sold because Jim Lee was drawing it. Ultimates 3 sucked, Ultimate Power sucked, Onslaught Reborn sucked, he got kicked out of Heroes, I mean he can write, but he should write better stuff than the crap he's putting out lately. I haven't really met anyone who likes Loeb. Aside from Zip.
I didnt like ultimates v3, he tried to hard on that one.
I dont see why everyone hates on Hush, i admit that the art was a big reason i bought the comic but it's not a bad story at all. But then you guys read shitload more comics then me so maybe it doesnt stack up too well to other stories.

no homo
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:50 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 05:50 PM #63 of 81
Hush was mostly fluff, I'd kick it for being a mediocre story (though I did enjoy it and still could as a stand alone story). In the overall scheme of things Batman, it only introduced Hush, everything else was just so... unnecessary, all the villains appearing in this convoluted epic for no other reason than to be there for a dumb reason. You'll see the thinking and planning regarding plots just sort of dissolve for Loeb as his work goes on. I definitely recommend reading more stuff of his if you need to see how he fell off.

Most amazing jew boots
Tomzilla
Critically Insane

Member 2968

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:05 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 09:05 PM #64 of 81
Has anyone read and finished Arkham Asylum? It's got a good story and really shows just how crazy Batman's rogues are. It's good, but I've never been able to finish it. If someone here has read and finished it, is it worth it?

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:08 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 09:08 PM #65 of 81
Wasn't one of my favorite works by Morrison, to be honest. If only because of how difficult it is to finish the damn thing. But it is worth finishing.

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:36 PM #66 of 81
That's not the same as the series of one-shots that I've got in my head as Joker's Asylum, is it? Every one-shot featured another Batman villain drawn by different artists... those I really enjoyed. A story focused entirely on the villain, rather than Batman. Cant be the same thing though, as they weren't at all difficult to finish, and there couldnt have been more than... five, I think.

Most amazing jew boots
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:44 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 09:44 PM #67 of 81
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth

That's the book.

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:07 AM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 10:07 AM #68 of 81
That's not the same as the series of one-shots that I've got in my head as Joker's Asylum, is it? Every one-shot featured another Batman villain drawn by different artists... those I really enjoyed. A story focused entirely on the villain, rather than Batman. Cant be the same thing though, as they weren't at all difficult to finish, and there couldnt have been more than... five, I think.
Get the new Joker book, really good.

no homo
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 03:23 AM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 04:23 PM #69 of 81
Joker's Asylum had pretty good issues (like the Penguin issue), some were a bit bad. I wonder why they stopped it. The latest Joker book (by Azarrelo and Bermejo) was ok. It was sort of like the Joker in the Dark Knight movie, and everything was given a "real world" concept. It started pretty good, but as a whole it kinda lacked the "oomph" I was expecting. Maybe because it was told through another character's point of view, an introduced character with no significance at all in the Batman mythos, during and after the story. I think that's the book's downfall.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Vemp; Nov 19, 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:36 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2008, 01:36 AM #70 of 81
Me and my boys just did our reviews for this week's comics. We talk about Robin #180, Deadpool #4, and Amazing Spider-Man #578. Along with that, we rate some books we read on our own, and vote on random pop-culture news bits.

Tres Komikeros 12 Tres Komikeros

Hope you guys like it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:48 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 09:48 AM #71 of 81
I finished up Secret Invasion 8 recently. If you dig Bendis' work as well as Marvel's current works with status quo, you'll likely enjoy what this books sets up for. However, the more important question is "Are you reading Hellcat, GFF?" If you aren't, do yourself a favor and pick it up so as to see what you've been missing out on. Books like Captain America and Immortal Iron Fist are constantly passed up for the "important tie-in" books we've been conditioned to read, so now's a good time to throw a shout out to your favorite solo character books as we transition into Dark Reign and some new single character comics such as War Machine and Deadpool.

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:38 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 03:38 PM #72 of 81
I finished up Secret Invasion 8 recently. If you dig Bendis' work as well as Marvel's current works with status quo, you'll likely enjoy what this books sets up for. However, the more important question is "Are you reading Hellcat, GFF?" If you aren't, do yourself a favor and pick it up so as to see what you've been missing out on. Books like Captain America and Immortal Iron Fist are constantly passed up for the "important tie-in" books we've been conditioned to read, so now's a good time to throw a shout out to your favorite solo character books as we transition into Dark Reign and some new single character comics such as War Machine and Deadpool.
I just can't put up with Captain America. I just don't care. Fucking Bucky.

However, Hellcat and Deadpool have both been great. As is Moon Knight and Immortal Iron Fist.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:53 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2011, 03:53 AM #73 of 81
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me with a couple of DC comics I've been trying to find... some of them I can't even remember the names of so would appreciate it if someone can fill in the blanks...

One is a Justice League Elseworlds comic which started in a Superman annual and concluded... somewhere else. I remember the title "Super Seven" but can't find any information through just that. The story basically is about how an alien race comes to Earth and takes over. All the superheroes are either killed or go into hiding. Flash is crippled by a mob, Superman has abandoned mankind after the murder of Lois, and other heroes are missing. Only Batman has been waging a guerrilla style war against the invaders the whole time. Any ideas?

Another story is a little more recent and up until recently I thought the title was "God Fall" but the only thing that turns up in a google search is the 2004 Superman story where he wakes up back on Krypton. The story I'm searching for is the one where all of Earth's superpowered heroes find themselves powerless and unable to cope with the chaos that erupts when the criminal elements find out. Heroes like Superman and Wonder Woman fall into despair while non-meta heroes like Batman trains those who have lost their special abilities but still seek the means to fight injustice.

Another one is kind'a like "Y-The Last Man". A radiation cloud passes through our solar-system with seemingly no ill effects. However, every male human on the planet soon dies leaving only Superman alive. Now with a planet only populated by women, things are more comlplicated when Luthor shows up alive in a protective suit, claiming Superman still carries the alien spores of the killer disease and should be exiled from Earth.

Hopefully, these stories sound familiar and someone can tell me what their titles are.

Thanks in advance!

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2011, 06:47 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2011, 07:47 AM #74 of 81
Here is a Batch torrent:
DC Elseworlds (COMPLETE) Batman, Superman, JLA and the DCU Torrent - btjunkie

Here are the titles I have ascertained based on your summaries:

1. The Super-Seven
Part 1: Adventures of Superman Annual #6
Part 2: Superboy Annual #1

2. JLA: Act of God

3. JLA: Created Equal

Source: List of Elseworlds publications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:53 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2011, 10:53 PM #75 of 81
Thank you very much, Zergrinch!

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Comic Book Thread