Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"Random" Japanese.

Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:23 AM #1 of 48
"Random" Japanese.

...So I'm curious about the usage of Japanese among non-Japanese users on the Internet. To be specific, I'd like to know about what people think about:
  • What do you think of people who use Japanese in their posts, messages, e-mails, etc.?
  • What do you think if these people are using it incorrectly?
  • Do you ever use Japanese in your posts, messages, etc.?
  • If so, in what manners (for humor, poking fun, emphasizing, etc.)?
  • Where and with whom do you use it?
  • If you use Japanese, have you had any sort of studies in the language? How much?
These are the only things I could think of at the moment, but feel free to contribute any other thoughts you have on the subject.

Also, I can vaguely remember a good post someone made here ages ago on picking screen names, which touched on the whole "random Japanese" issue. Can anyone point me to it?

And yes I know of the irony of my screen name here.

Anywho, thanks in advance!

EDIT: Okay, no homework now.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Lee-chan; Dec 3, 2006 at 10:47 AM.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:33 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 11:33 PM #2 of 48
IN BEFORE YAMAMAN.... oh.

Anyways, NIHONGO is only used when you talk to NIHON-JIN. Aside from that, it's STUPID.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:34 AM #3 of 48
Originally Posted by Yamamanama
I think this might be considered a homework thread, and because they're heavily frowned upon to the point of not being allowed, your journal is a better place for it.
I thought about that, but the point is that I'd like opinions on the subject, so it'd be okay in a forum. Like, if I phrased it more casually and left out the fact I was doing a paper, would there be a problem? (Or maybe I should just edit the post...?)

Most amazing jew boots
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 01:03 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 11:03 PM #4 of 48
I've no problem with people using Japanese (or any other language) in their daily speech, but there has to be a bit of context to it. Using Japanese vocabulary, like ofuro instead of bath, is fine, but if they start going "this was really sugoi" or "did you see that kawaii nee-chan" is awkward and annoying usually.

I use it in my posts and speech (written, not verbal) on occasion, but only in a jocular manner, and only with people I am friendly with. I don't think I could ever in any seriousness sprinkle Japanese in my everyday speech without looking bad.

I have had some studies in the language and visited the country once, but that's really all I can say about that.

Wai~

How ya doing, buddy?
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 11:09 PM #5 of 48
No I don't use Japanese in my speech. I dont really mind it most of the time. It can get annoying when people continually mix Japanese and English (or any other language) over and over again when it doesn't match at all. My youngest sister is an example of this. She's constantly peppering her speech with Japanese words. (Yes, she has gone Oh god that's so KAWAIII!)

If I use any Japanese I attempt to actually speak it. If I ever do mix the two languages it's done when making fun of those who do. Which is normally only when around a certain few friends. Who really hate people you would call wapanese.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Stuff goes here~
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 01:12 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 10:12 PM #6 of 48
I've yet to encounter anyone I know in real life who used "random" Japanese in their speech. I don't use Japanese words when I type online except if I know that those who read it will understand the humor behind it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 01:17 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 11:17 PM #7 of 48
The only time I hear random Japanese is always on an anime convention and boy, it is creepy.

I only use Japanese on the net and the words are those used to death already (like kawaii~ or similar) just for poking fun.

FELIPE NO
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 02:09 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 08:09 AM #8 of 48
One of the ten nerdiest things you can do is to want to learn and use Japanese for any sort of percieved chic, or 'show' factor. It's not chic, it's entirely the opposite. Anyone who dropped a word like 'kawaii' into real life conversation would be met with similar revulsion from me as would meet anyone who said the word 'lol'. They are both displays of that person losing touch, becoming entirely un-self concious, and slipping into some alternate geek reality.

It's little better using it on the internet, but there is more license to do so and less room for scorn because at least the internet already occupies that alternate geek reality.

A particular point I want to mention are indeed those -chan style suffixes. When a westerner uses one they're just being a cringeworthy Japophile, but what about when someone with a Japanese background uses one? Why do that? It's so in-your-face. Is it important for them to have a big arrow pointing at their ethnicity and culture? Are they bragging about being Japanese?

How ya doing, buddy?
Ridan Krad
And All Eyes Fix on the Death of Tomorrow

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:01 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 02:01 AM #9 of 48
The only time I've ever had someone insert random Japanese into English conversation was with my Japanese professor, who is a native Japanese speaker, and also in a position of trying to encouraging me and others of her students to make Japanese a part of their natural thought process, which ultimately takes grueling repetition. In this case, inserting Japanese into conversation is perfectly legitimate since it encourages learning and, more importantly, is actually done correctly so that the correct things are being learned as a native Japanese speaker would naturally speak.

In situations outside of this, I generally agree with Kolba, although I do of course sometimes try so speak Japanese with other English speakers also learning the language (and of course, when granted the opportunity, with actual native Japanese speakers). But randomly saying sugoi, kakkoii, kawaii, and other such phrases that anyone who's watched a couple fandubs should know is just annoying.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:29 AM #10 of 48
Back in high school there was a group of girls who would drop random Japanese words into their sentences while talking, and it was incredibly annoying. I don't have a problem with it when written, especially since it's usually joking, but it just sounds awkward when spoken. It would have been nifty if they had actually been interested in learning the language rather than just showing off what huge anime fans they were.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:41 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 11:41 AM #11 of 48
I've only ever met one person who interjected random bits of Japanese into daily speech. However, he was a raging otaku faggot, so I tried to distance myself.

I'll say "kawaii" or the like out of irony, though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:56 AM #12 of 48
It is unacceptable. If you cannot hold a conversation in Japanese with a native speaker of the language, or some fluent equivalent, you have no right to butcher the language. This goes for any language, except since Japanese culture is so popular, it really applies only to this.

People who do butcher the language, add things like "-chan" or give themselves Japanese names, say "kawaii" or "sugoi" without knowing how utterly disgusting it sounds, these are the people that should burn in a fire and die.

I'm lucky enough to be able to speak with a lot of native speakers, and a few of my friends are near-fluent. Most of the time with these people, touchy subject get talked about in Japanese (Because sometimes its easier to communicate that way). I have a friend and we constantly butcher Japanese, constantly, but its so exaggerated that its obvious its for humor purposes.

The point here is if you don't know the language and you just say shit you (may think you) know to be cool, you actually are not cool at all. You just look like an idiot. I happen to know people who suffer from severe japanofaggotry and its a very sad sight to see.

I'm very unforgiving.

edit//Yama, for the record, you're disgusting and need to die in a fire, too. I don't want you to feel left out.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by UltimaIchijouji; Dec 4, 2006 at 07:04 AM.
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 07:47 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 01:47 PM #13 of 48
日本語を正しく使えなければ、使わないでください。恥ずかしく, 気持ち悪いと思います。えひひ。>_<

If you can read and understand that, you're ok, I guess. The rest of you; JUST FU***NG STOP! YOU'RE EMBARRASSING YOURSELVES AND THIS COMMUNITY!

How ya doing, buddy?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 08:53 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 08:53 AM #14 of 48
Since I don't speak much Japanese and don't know very many Japanese people (Because the majority of them only stay in Canada for a short time), I don't have random Japanese language tendencies.

But, I know much more in Korean and I have been known for randomly speaking Korean, such as swears or saying hello, and when I am with Korean friends I speak it even more. As for writing, I know very little of the written, so I don't do any of that, Korean or otherwise.

Japanese culture doesn't exist much where I live. Many just stay for short exchanges, while Chinese, and Korean stay for longer periods of time.

JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 09:42 AM #15 of 48
The only thing more annoying than white people acting black is white people acting Japanese. Just stop. Do you people not realize how ridiculous you are. Okay, so Japanese girls are cute, but stop the god damn obsessing. Learning Japanese so you can watch anime is more retarded than those Star Trek nerds learning Klingon. Here's a hint. There is very good reason why the Japanese point and laugh at white people trying to be like them.

Spoiler:
You look like a dork.

Also people who clearly cannot speak Japanese yet spatter their English with the three Japanese words they picked up from their anime need to suffocate.

FELIPE NO

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
Lene
Shameless Fangirl

Member 364

Level 4.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:31 AM #16 of 48
Quote:
The only time I've ever had someone insert random Japanese into English conversation was with my Japanese professor, who is a native Japanese speaker, and also in a position of trying to encouraging me and others of her students to make Japanese a part of their natural thought process, which ultimately takes grueling repetition. In this case, inserting Japanese into conversation is perfectly legitimate since it encourages learning and, more importantly, is actually done correctly so that the correct things are being learned as a native Japanese speaker would naturally speak.
I have a couple of friends who are Japanese/Asian Studies majors and they do this all the time. It's little things like replacing "Umm..." with "Etto..." or using "chotto matte" or "sou desu ne" and general smalltalk. I've studied a little Japanese in highschool but I don't plan on making a career with it (so I haven't taken any classes in college, though I plan to take some elective classes eventually), but I know enough of the language that when I'm with certain friends, there's lots of Japanese words/sentences and phrases thrown about in our conversation.

I definitely agree that it is helpful in an educational setting because of the whole "Use it or Lose it" deal. I found that after 2 years of not studying Japanese I still remember quite a bit of it having to keep on my toes when certain friends speak to me. Unfortunately, I've forgotten things like Kanji (most of it) and some Katakana. I'm really out of practice, and the opportunities outside of a classroom setting to write in Japanese are virtually non-existant.

With that, I can definately tell when someone is obviously a Japanese student and is trying to use that technique in improving their proficiency w/ the language, and the people who watch too much Anime. I personally will never walk around going "OMG KAWAYUSU LOLOL SUGOI!" and use the suffix -chan on everyone's name. And I would refrain from speaking any Japanese in a Anime Convention or any Anime related event. I find that sort of thing awkward and grating.

Most amazing jew boots
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:36 AM #17 of 48
Originally Posted by Sword Familiar

If you can read and understand that, you're ok, I guess. The rest of you; JUST FU***NG STOP! YOU'RE EMBARRASSING YOURSELVES AND THIS COMMUNITY!
と思います。えひひ。>_<
>_<
>_<

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:42 AM #18 of 48
Originally Posted by Sakabadger
I've no problem with people using Japanese (or any other language) in their daily speech, but there has to be a bit of context to it. Using Japanese vocabulary, like ofuro instead of bath, is fine, but if they start going "this was really sugoi" or "did you see that kawaii nee-chan" is awkward and annoying usually.
That's pretty much how I feel. If I said throwing any bits of the language in normal speech annoyed me I'd be a pot calling a kettle black; After 3 years of high school French I can't speak the language, but I do throw random bits of the language in when I speak, but only to friends.

Typical deviantArt anime-art comment style japanese "sprinkling," however, annoys the crap out of me.

Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 05:58 PM #19 of 48
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
>_< (えひひ)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ridan Krad

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 02:00 PM #20 of 48

その文が分かるに字典を使えば、まだいい?

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've forgotten things like Kanji (most of it) and some Katakana. I'm really out of practice, and the opportunities outside of a classroom setting to write in Japanese are virtually non-existant.
Yeah, I find that occasionally going on Wikipedia and trying to read bits and pieces of the Japanese articles, as well as just reading other Japanese stuff online can help to an extent, but you're definitely right. Retaining kanji can be really difficult (even for the Japanese).

Most amazing jew boots
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 05:05 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 11:05 PM #21 of 48
Originally Posted by Ridan Krad
その文が分かるに字典を使えば、まだいい?
Babel fish Japanese? It looks weird, please stop ^___^. But seriously, I don't really care. I just like to bitch since I've studied Japanese for a long time, but it doesn't make me an expert and certainly not any authority on the subject. ^__^

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Sword Familiar; Dec 4, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:31 PM #22 of 48
I am guilty of randomly throwing out "kawaii!" with a select few of my girl friends and pinching their cheeks. As well as my more recent use of the phrase "Taihen, desu ne?" However, I don't randomly sprinkle it in my everyday talk with normal people or excessively with the people I say those phrases to.

I'm currently taking Japanese and hope to minor in it or go teach English in Japan one day, and have moved out of the fanboy phase for the most part. I know that I wouldn't want my friends coming up to me saying "mite mite!" or "Sasuga da yo...fufufufu~".

Ridan Krad

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 06:16 PM #23 of 48
Babel fish Japanese? It looks weird, please stop ^___^. But seriously, I don't really care. I just like to bitch since I've studied Japanese for a long time, but it doesn't make me an expert and certainly not any authority on the subject. ^__^
No, not Babelfish, just my limited knowledge of grammar and vocabulary making itself known to all.

FELIPE NO
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:17 PM #24 of 48
Even if you've studied Japanese for a long time (presuming upwards of 4 years), any respect I may have had for you is nullified by your use of ^_^ faces.

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:46 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 10:46 PM #25 of 48
What do you think of people who use Japanese in their posts, messages, e-mails, etc.?
As long as they are using it correctly and for a reason that's fine. I usually IM people saying "konnichiwa" or "konbanwa" depending the time of day. If I'm talking to my sensei via email I use as much Japanese as I can because he doesn't speak good english.

What do you think if these people are using it incorrectly?
God it bothers me SO much! If you are going to speak a language, take the time to learn it!

Do you ever use Japanese in your posts, messages, etc.?
If so, in what manners (for humor, poking fun, emphasizing, etc.)?
I had it once in my sig. It was lyrics from a song by Ayumi Hamasaki. But sometimes I'll use it randomly BUT I use it correctly. I may say "jya ne" or "hai" or "iie" randomly just because I like speaking Japanese when I get a chance.

Where and with whom do you use it?
I use it a lot online talking with people just because the can see that I'm using another language whereas at times I say a random Japanese word and people are like "What?" I'll use it with friends who know it, my dad, and sensei. In the Japan house at the university I'll try to speak some around there with any Japanese people I see.

If you use Japanese, have you had any sort of studies in the language? How much?
I've taken Japanese I and II. I really miss those classes. I may have to audit both before going into III or independent study or ask sensei to tutor me.

Honestly, one thing that bothers me that I saw a lot in high school with the cliche... well it's not that I hung out with them but I was friends with friends who liked them so we just knew each other. Anyways they watched anime obsessively and were manga nerds and they would say things in Japanese and not even know what it means or say a phrase that was fine in the situation on the show they got it from but not appropriate when they said it. Then romanji... I got tired of seeing it once I could write in hiragana. I like reading hiragana. It's fun!

In my english class (in my senior year) our teacher let us put our names on this slip (pretty big slip) of paper to put on the wall. I had put "konnichiwa" in hiragana and at the end of the year when they were brought down a friend of mine told me she wrote on it (hoping I would take mine home) saying I spelled it wrong and it was "konichiwa". I stared at her and asked her after 2 Japanese classes, does she really think I spelled konnichiwa wrong? I'm not saying I'm perfect but that's a really frequent word spoken and written in my classes. That bugged me and may have hurt her pride. She always seemed prideful and tried to outdo my Japanese knowledge. I was the only one in my group of friends that was taking a course and actually getting good and I think some got jealous because I knew what to say and how to say it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > "Random" Japanese.