Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Teaching English in Korea

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:12 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 02:12 PM #1 of 12
Teaching English in Korea

Well, I finish my degree in Arts at the end of this year, and I am thinking of teaching in Korea for a year if I don't get into the Faculty of Education at the University of Manitoba.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do so? What are some of the jobs that are available there?

I learned some korean when I was dating a girl who was from there for half a year and I am very interested in the culture and people and the language there.

Are there any other options to try such as teaching English in China or Japan? What are some of the requirements? And what kind of accomodations are there?

Thanks in advance.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:35 AM #2 of 12
JET programme is teaching English in Japan and you need a bachelors. The program only lasts a year and then you can contract for another 2 years. China usually doesn't require a bachelors, it's similar to the JET programme but you get paid alot less. Hong Kong does require bachelors and also has a similar system. Not sure of an actual name for any programs though except for JET.

Alot of people go for teaching exchange in Asian countries. The biggest problem is that's probably the only job you'll be able to get unless you're fluent in the language. I mean, accentless fluency, because citizens living there will obviously get a priority over you. So teaching English is bascially the only available job to you in any of those countries.

I've had lots of friends doing this and I'm considering doing it myself. Here's the catch. Yes, it's definately worth the experience and if you're thinking of persuing life in Asia permanently or teaching in general, it's a pretty good experience. But I'll warn you, if you're going to get a job in ANYTHING else and it might screw you over. This experience doesn't really count towards your CV back in America/Europe/etc except for teaching. So let's say you leave for 3 years to Asia to teach and then find out you miss home so you go back (this happens 9/10 times), you're 3 years behind everyone else. It's a disadvantage when employers look at your CV.

I think if you're considering living in Asia for the rest of your life or persuing teaching in foreign languages/culture back home, then it's a great idea for experience and having fun. But otherwise, it'll screw you over.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
[RIGHT]
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:55 AM #3 of 12
I considered doing this back a few years ago in my early college years. I'm Korean and I can speak both Korean and English fluently. The only turn-off that made me reconsider was the fact that the Korean people preferred an American person rather than the Korean. There's also this whole thing about private tutoring being illegal too. I didn't want to take a risk with that, even if there's a lot of money. As for the whole teaching English thing, I guess you need at least a college diploma or something. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but you can enter the whole 'schooling process' in order to get a licence or go straight into the job. I'm not sure. I quit looking into it after a while.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 09:36 PM #4 of 12
The funny thing is that I have 2 friends that have gone over seas to teach english. One went to Hong Kong and said that it was a great experiences and it was awesome pay. The other went to China and still is in China teaching there because he enjoys it soo much there.

I would say that you should try it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:03 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 11:03 PM #5 of 12
I haven't done it, so I can't really help you. I'm considering doing JET in a year or two, however. What I do to help get me informed is to look for forums or sites that are dedicated to revealing info all about the profession, and reading the blogs of people who are currently in the profession. I think you should do the same.

I was speaking idiomatically.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 11:10 PM #6 of 12
Well, I get my Bachelor's this December (Although I set my grad date for the Spring). I want to pursue teaching so I figure that getting some experience overseas would help me out in the long run.

How hard can adjustment be in Korea, or China or Japan for that matter? I mean in terms of culture etc., I know some Korean words, (Such as hello, what are you doing? Please stop, etc.) and I can understand a little more than I can speak.

Any preparations I need?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:34 AM #7 of 12
I would take a course in the language before heading out there.. that way you can put what you know to a little bit more practical use and you can learn more that way as well...

As read up on some of the area where you are going? You don't want to accidently offense someone by doing a gesture that maybe be harmless here but a pain over there, right?

FELIPE NO
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:33 AM #8 of 12
Usually you're not supposed to know the language. I'm mean the whole basis for the JET programme is that you go to Japan not knowing any Japanese and you teach only in English. And it's pretty much the same for Korea, China, etc. They pay for accomidations and stuff like that, so you really don't have to deal with alot. But knowing some of the language is great for meeting new people. I guess it's really your choice to arrive there knowing somewhat about the language or learn it it while you're there, it doesn't really matter. Technically it'll be much faster to learn it there because you don't really have any other choice right?

note- I'm drunk, so I might be wrong about what I wrote.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
[RIGHT]
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:39 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 01:39 AM #9 of 12
Man, that was a pretty good post for a drunk person.

Yeah, I don't plan to learn much more Korean while I am still in Canada, since I want to go to Korea for the most part to learn the language. I mean, I go there to teach English, and I get taught Korea. It would be cool to speak two languages.

I should have paid attention to French class in high school...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FallDragon
Good Chocobo

Member 2657

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:27 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 05:27 AM #10 of 12
I'm applying to the JET program this year. Here's the official website for it if you're interested: http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETProgram/homepage.html

I have a degree in Music Ed & performance, but I want to travel while I can. My one close friend is in Japan teaching English right now. He didn't make the jet program (even though he knew a bit of Japanese which is a +) so he went with a private contractor which was also hiring, but paid less. The job he's doing is different then the JET program though. He's teaching a group of students privately, whereas in a the JET program you're an assistant to an English teacher in school.

But be warned, if you're thinking of applying this year (to start working August next year) you need to turn in a ton of shit by the deadline on December 4th. I think the thing that takes the longest is getting a passport, so work on that immediately if you intend to do this for next year. You'll also need two letters of recommendation, proof that you're going to graduation in time if you don't have a degree yet, etc etc, it's all listed on the website for ya.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:13 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 12:13 AM #11 of 12
I already have my passport. Just got it a week or so ago too.

I will take a look at it and see what tickles my fancy. But JET probably won't work for me since I am Canadian. Anyone know the Canadian equvilent or other options?

edit: I found it.... Geez, I should look before I post anything...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by The Wise Vivi; Oct 19, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
zailai
new comer

Member 14163

Level 1.00

Oct 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:54 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 04:54 PM #12 of 12
Thumbs up why not

i am a chinese guy living in dalian China, but been in London for only 4 months in 2003.
many native english speakers come to china to teach eng, at least this happened in my hometown Dalian. i've no idea how many of you have heard about Dalian......
ok, get down to business. if you wanna make a killing here by teaching.........no way!!!
one of my friends told me, i quote:"5,500 (five thousand five hundred) RMB per month for 25 scheduled teaching hours per week, which I'm sure is pretty avg." i don't quite agree with him, however almost yes.
you know what??? for locals, 5,500 is very high.
it's interesting that some of my foreign friends --------australian(study chinese for future business), danish(study kong fu), american(work here, and he know a little chinese), american(just travel), spanish(a photographer but like china's scenery), canadian(learn mandarine also teach english), british(teach english in a private school).

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Teaching English in Korea