Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Elwe Attempts Photography. Kinda.

elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2008, 03:23 AM Local time: Jun 6, 2008, 03:23 AM #1 of 12
Elwe Attempts Photography. Kinda.

So I had an art thread a while back, but I didn't quite dabble with photography, since I didn't have a camera. If I recall correctly, I may have had one picture up, but I think it was more of a shop thing, seeing as how the original, taken from a disposable, was pretty terrible.

So yeah, I went out and FINALLY bought a digital camera. It's not particularly awesome, but it was on sale and it came with a gift card. So I dished out $100 for a Samsung S730 and some memory cards, and took a couple of shots.

Anyways, I'm a complete noob on this, so constructive criticism is more than welcome. I keep hearing about some third rule, so I'm probably going to look further into this.

For the time being, here are a couple shots plus a bit of shopping. They're not particularly new, but recent enough, I guess. =] And excuse the watermarkish things; the unmarked ones are on my external HD, which is somewhere in my bookshelf.

Yes, the Buddha statue is next to a pie plate. I'm not quite sure why...

This actually wasn't taken with my digital, but a disposable. I was in the city and didn't have my digital camera, so I stopped by a Walgreens and got ripped off terribly. So yeah, this one's obviously shopped b&w.

Same as above. Let's see if you can guess which city. It should be pretty obvious if you're familiar with it.

Same as above again, except it's the view from a bridge.

The last of the shopped disposable shots.

Taken at the park. I'm not quite a fan of smoke.

Backside of a keychain I got at Disney World.

I dunno. This one reminds me of unpleasant visits to the dentist's office and those terrible sandpaper strips shoved between your teeth like floss...

[insert interesting commentary here][/commentary]

The shutter speed was a bit slow here, and I can't hold my hands still for the life of me. Hence, the blurriness.

Obligatory slightly-emo flower photo. Oh, and most definitely shopped.

Ceiling shot. This was taken during an awards ceremony at a math meet.

Food coloring in water with one of the worst lamps imaginable in the background. That's why we never used it; I dug it out of the basement and stood a sheet of white paper in front of it.

Same as above, but with a different lighting.

No need to get excited. It's just lemon in water. =D

Had to be on the floor. Otherwise, no sunlight. =[

Tangerines, I'm pretty sure.

Same as above, but different. I think I used a different setting on this one.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by elwe; Jun 6, 2008 at 03:26 AM.
BlindMonk
A ride! Now that's a good idea!

Member 28143

Level 18.68

Feb 2008

Old Jun 6, 2008, 01:14 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2008, 01:14 PM #2 of 12
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/9822/chicagoriverbw01yl0.jpg
Same as above again, except it's the view from a bridge.
Some interesting distortion on that one. I rather like it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:29 AM #3 of 12
Oh, rule of thirds is pretty basic. It's a general rule that can be broken under some circumstances. Generally people with a little bit of an artist eye will follow the rule without knowing it.

This is a really rough example, but yar, it'll do. (Some newer cameras have the option of enabling the rule of thirds grid on your LCD, so you can have them visibly there to aid you)

Basically imagine lines in your frame, each at the 1/3 mark horizontally and vertically. You want to put your subject on those lines, preferably at the intersections. Pretty flexible rule though I think.

--

Here's a few simple pointers though that I hope can help you. I don't know how new you are though, so if some of these are "too newbie" for you, I didn't mean to offend you D: .

- manually set your whitebalance (Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent_H, Fluorescent_L, Tungsten, Custom), like in your tangerine photos, I'm pretty sure you changed the white balance there, it can make a pretty big difference to what is represented as "white". Just think of it being really cold or warm.

- if you're shoot still objects, try putting your camera on a small tripod (there are some super mini ones for point and shoots that are like, $10 and fit on your table top) and setting it to timer so you can get the sharpest photo possible

- set your focusing mode to center weighted. Sometimes the camera might not focus on what you want it to, so now it will always focus on the middle. So just focus on what you want, hold the shutter half way still, recompose your photo, and then push all the way to take the photo . I've been doing this all the time with my DSLR since the auto-focus points aren't always going to pick up on what I want.

- fiddle with the exposure compensation once in awhile (+2EV , -2EV), it can save you time from fudging in photoshop later and the such.

Well, that's about it. Have fun shooting of course, and try to bring your camera around more with you, best photo opportunities always seem to be the ones you miss :P.

Oh, and this one is my favorite of yours so far:

The disposable produced nice results for a vintage feel! haha

How ya doing, buddy?

oh my gawddd
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2008, 02:11 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2008, 02:11 AM #4 of 12
Thanks for all the input. =]

- set your focusing mode to center weighted. Sometimes the camera might not focus on what you want it to, so now it will always focus on the middle. So just focus on what you want, hold the shutter half way still, recompose your photo, and then push all the way to take the photo . I've been doing this all the time with my DSLR since the auto-focus points aren't always going to pick up on what I want.
Yeah, I've had issues with focusing on the "right" thing. Thank you SO much for this tip. I never realized the camera would still focus on the same object even if the camera is moved after focusing. This is definitely going to help out.

I've been thinking about getting a tripod, but I never really got around to it. $10 doesn't sound too bad, though. I just have to sacrifice one dinner out! ='D

My favorite ones so far are actually from the disposable as well. Funny how that turns out.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 15, 2008, 07:12 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2008, 12:12 PM #5 of 12
Rule of thirds isn't always a necessity - I find it only really applies on images where there's a single focal point and not much else worth paying attention to.

I like where you're going with this. Plus, you get some pretty good depth of field for an el cheapo camera.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2008, 07:39 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2008, 12:39 PM #6 of 12
I actually liked the effect the blurriness gives your 10th photo; it's very ethereal.

I'm not much of a photographer myself but I just wanted to say that I love these photos and as above, I'm amazed with the effect and quality you managed to get out of the disposeable. Definately keep it up.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:06 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2008, 09:06 PM #7 of 12
This is some nice work. I especially like the ones taken with the disposable camera.

which reminds me, i should finish shooting those rolls of film

FELIPE NO
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:22 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2008, 01:22 PM #8 of 12
Also, HOLY SHIT, Chicago. Madison. NOSTALGIA RUSH.

What I wouldn't give right now to roam around the city with my camera.

How ya doing, buddy?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:29 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2008, 08:29 PM #9 of 12
Indigo-2: Thanks =] Yes, what I wouldn't give to roam around Chicago as well. I'm stuck hours away from the city right now. I'll probably be over there again come winter time, which could be both good and bad. SNOW! =[

Bernard Black: Yeah, the more focused shots weren't as interesting-looking as the blurred one, although I still couldn't get one that was completely in focus.

Schadenfreude: Those are definitely among my favorites as well =]

New edited shot taken over at college. We get a nice view of the smokestacks along with an amazing sunset, which I haven't had the opportunity to capture quite yet. I'm not particularly happy with this one, but I haven't been taking many shots as of late, mostly due to the fact that I left my camera at home and just recently got it back. And I've been incredibly busy with schoolwork. :3

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by elwe; Nov 10, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
robitrocks
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 32324

Level 2.00

Nov 2008

Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:24 PM #10 of 12
Very nice shots. I really liked the B&W shots from the disposable.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:12 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2009, 12:12 AM #11 of 12
Thanks~

Here are some kinda new shots. Style's a bit different from the usual, but I was playing around. My batches tend to be similar in mood, so it's interesting to see the changes from one shoot to another. Haven't been out with my camera lately, though. I'm thinking of finding some side jobs in addition to my (hopefully) part-time job this summer, so I might be able to upgrade my camera to one that doesn't stink. Or more than 7.2 megapixels. I was kinda angry that my friend was able to nab one with over 10 for 40 bucks less than mine. And it's slimmer. D:

These were taken near a nature preserve area near home. I realize some of these shots are similar D:

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:29 PM #12 of 12
The shot taken from your cottage is nice. The colours make it feel very homely haha.

I'll be honest with your latest batch of shots, not really a fan of them except for the 3rd one down. The warm colours give off that summer feeling and temperature. I have a bit of bias though, I like photos with a slight bit of warmer white balance haha.

What's that blue bowl thing? Public urinal? > > Looks gross haha.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

oh my gawddd

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Elwe Attempts Photography. Kinda.