Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Borderlands - Shootan and Lootan

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:04 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 03:04 AM #51 of 227
I think I'm the only person on the internet not bothered by the limited FOV by default, and the requirement for a toggle as the only fix as it stands is too aggravating to deal with.

That said, massive v-sync issues right out the gate, and while it's able to be solved in the ini, I ended up forcing it from my nVidia control panel as an override.

The option set seems lacking in game too, with no real voice control or half a dozen other features you'd expect.

Doesn't really matter though since co-op is the shit. Whatup animechanic. Found a load of purples but nothing better, so far a silly revolver is my current main weapon.

How ya doing, buddy?
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:26 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 05:26 AM #52 of 227
'sup Skills. Glad you could come get owned by Badass Fire Alpha Skags with us.

I have had no trouble hosting, but I opened some ports too. According to a readme and the gearbox forums, these are the ones you should open if you're having troubles:

7777 (TCP/UDP)
28900 (TCP)
27900 (UDP)
28910 (TCP)
28902 - not in the readme, but opening this port helped alot of people

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:55 AM #53 of 227
I got a leve 18 hunter so far, and I'm having tons of fun playing co-op with a buddy of mine.

One question, I didn't fiddle with the ini stuff yet, what's it change? And I dont see anything wrong with the FOV by default. What does changing it really do? Let you see more? Doesn't that destroy the whole purpose of an FPS?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:06 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 06:06 AM #54 of 227
I tried messing with it and the result made it look like I was viewing the game through a fisheye lens, especially when running. If you don't mind it you should definitely leave it alone.

I did shut off mouse smoothing though. Navigating menus seems a lot easier without it. Haven't noticed a difference in the actual aiming, but there may be a slight change there too.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:24 AM #55 of 227
I'm playing with FoV right now, and 90 while running isn't as terrible. 100 though, while running, makes me sick I also disabled mouse smoothing and enabled vsync. Will play for a bit to see if I notice anything

FELIPE NO

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:25 AM #56 of 227
Skills asked for what I see when I play on my apparently shitty laptop:

It actually looks worse than this because my monitor tries to stretch to fit vertically, leaving me with a lot of blurriness that I actually kinda got used to.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:27 AM #57 of 227
How do you take screenshots? print screen just paste's a black void into paint.

How ya doing, buddy?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:40 AM #58 of 227
F8. One of the many key bindings you can only discover by browsing through the ini files which are stored in My Documents.

Big annoying warning box for big annoying "feature"!

Check out %user%/documents/my games/borderlands/SaveData/Player.wsg! That has your GameSpy password stored in plaintext! It is 2009 and we still have devs doing this? Jesus.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:43 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 04:43 PM #59 of 227
I stole this from SA. I just tried it, and it works great.

Originally Posted by pixelbaron
For those having port forwarding/router/GameSpy frustrations: try using Tunngle. It's a program that is currently in beta that is similar to Hamachi, but it works for Borderlands. The only drawback right now is it's only in German, but a translation is being worked on for English and probably other languages as well.

Me and my friends managed to play for four hours last night with no hiccups, no port forwarding, and no dicking around with routers.

How to get Borderland's working with Tunngle:

Step 1: Register for a beta account here.

Step 2: Download the latest version of the software here.

Supported operating systems:

Windows XP 32Bit/64Bit
Windows Vista 32Bit/64Bit
Windows 7 RC 32Bit/64Bit

Step 3: Install the software. During Setup you may be prompted to select what type of Network you're using for Tunngle, I chose 'Home', though you should select whatever is applicable. You will have to restart your computer once installation is complete.

Step 4: Run that shit. You'll be confronted with this screen:

Put in your Username and Password and hit Login.

Step 5: After it goes through a bunch of loading in a language you probably don't understand you'll be staring at this window:

Hit 'Browser', which I've highlighted.

Step 6: Navigate to the Borderlands room in the browser and join by double-clicking:

Step 7: Start up Borderlands with Tunngle running in the background and enjoy the game through virtual LAN:

Note: You don't have to be in the room designated for the game, everyone just has to join the same room. Currently the option to create your own rooms isn't available, for now they are taking suggestions on rooms to add on their forums. If you want to play a private game with friends just hunt around for an empty room to drop into, or join a room that isn't related to Borderlands so the chances of someone stumbling into your game isn't as likely.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:45 AM #60 of 227
I dunno, I'd rather not put my computer on a virtual LAN that any random fuck could connect to.

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:58 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 04:58 PM #61 of 227
You can always go to an empty channel that no one will bother to look in. It doesn't matter what room you're in, as long as you're in it together.

I was speaking idiomatically.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:18 AM #62 of 227
Well, I was thinking less in the game sense and more in general security sense. Any word on just how much access one gets to a computer when you're connected using this thing?

packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:21 AM #63 of 227
Has anyone experienced any audio problems at all?
30 minutes into playing single player for the first time last night, and I lost all sound in the game. Since I was just on the first few missions, it didn't impede my progress too much, but I can definitely see this being a serious problem the further on in the game I get.

FELIPE NO

Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:30 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 09:30 AM #64 of 227
So I splurged on the game with some room mates and played it up into the early hours of this morning. Gotta say, multiplayer LAN is kickass in this. The story has left me pretty cold so far, but the slick visuals, art style, soundtrack, attitude, and Lilith's rack really make this an awesome experience. Lovin' how some enemy names are straight-up prefixed with 'Badass' and 'Roid Rage', etc. Totally a riot.

Originally Posted by Mo0
It actually looks worse than this because my monitor tries to stretch to fit vertically, leaving me with a lot of blurriness that I actually kinda got used to.
yo mo0, not sure if you're already aware (probably are) but I've been having similar issues so: playing the game windowed (hit alt+enter) helps to smooth out frame rate issues and gets rid of that annoying blurriness. I could crank up the graphics options a little bit this way, so the game manages to look decent, but it's in a small window that takes up less than half of my native resolution, so.

Pretty awesome how it's possible to get used to 'shitty' graphics though. I managed at first, but then I glanced over at my room mates' gaming machines cranking out this game's glorious visuals and had to do something about it...

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:54 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 07:54 AM #65 of 227
Huh, I did a print screen then paste to bitmap to get the following picture and it worked ok.

Anyways, this was the result of my friend (Raffet) getting behind the wheel of an outrunner for the first time:

He somehow managed to get the green outrunner upside down underneath the pink outrunner in such a way that the pink outrunner was completely high centered and unable to move. It boggles the mind.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:35 AM 2 #66 of 227
Hey, PC Players, here's a list of tweaks from the Gearbox forums that may be helpful.

Quote:
Here's a few tweaks I've come across and found that might help people with 'deconsolizing' Borderlands. I'm going to assume you all know where the location of these INI files are (Usually in USER NAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config in Vista).

To disable the startup movies:
-----------------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=NVidia
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=NVidia

and comment out lines like so:

[FullScreenMovie]
//StartupMovies=2K_logo
//StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
//StartupMovies=NVidia
//StartupMovies=Loading
//SkippableMovies=2K_logo
//SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
//SkippableMovies=Attract
//SkippableMovies=NVidia

If that doesn't work, replace the // with ;

To adjust FOV (Field of View):
-----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

You can change the keys (F10 and F11) to whatever you'd like, as well as the FOV values.

To disable mouse smoothing:
----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "bEnableMouseSmoothing" and you should come across the following line:

bEnableMouseSmoothing=True

Change to FALSE. This tremendously improves the feel of the mouse when looking around in-game and navigating the UI.

To disable/adjust weapon view bob:
----------------------------------
Within WillowGame.ini:
Search for "bWeaponBob" and you should come across the following lines:

bWeaponBob=TRUE
Bob=0.005

They should be pretty self explanatory. I can confirm the Bob numerical adjustment does work.

To enable VSync:
-----------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "UseVsync" and you should come across the following line:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

To disable voice chat:
---------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "bHasVoiceEnabled" and you should come across the following line:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

Change to FALSE.

To enable console:
------------------
*NOTE: This currently doesn't work correctly, it outputs all commands as 'SAY' commands*

Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "ConsoleKey" and you should come across the following line:

ConsoleKey=

Add 'Tilde' after the equal sign to enable the console (should look like ConsoleKey=Tilde)

Enable Drop Weapon Key:
-------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Within that section, search for "ThrowWeapon". By default, it's bound to "Underscore" - I changed mine to V, so it looks like:

Bindings=(Name="V",Command="ThrowWeapon",Control=F alse,Shift=False,Alt=False)

To make zoom a toggle (courtesy of Miker):
--------------------------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:

Add the text below under [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]

Bindings=(Name="ZoomIn",Command="StartAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomOut",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftT rigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False, bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ZoomOut",Command="StopAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomIn",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTr igger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,b IgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Then, edit the preexisting RightMouseButton binding to reflect the change:

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="advance dbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt =False,LeftTrigger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnore Shift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

to

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ZoomIn" ,Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnore Shift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

To enable scroll wheel in text boxes:
-----------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini

Search for all instances of the following (there should only be two instances):

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp",ModifierKeyFlags=42
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown",ModifierKeyFlags=42

remove the ",ModifierKeyFlags=42" so they look like:

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp"
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown"
Thread is here: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...ad.php?t=79043

Near the Vsync option there's also flags for MSAA and different types of filtering. It seems now that instead of leaving out normal configuration options for PC games, Gearbox just didn't put ingame switches for them.

I guess during all of that "optimization" they also forgot to change the UI from the console version.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:50 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 10:50 AM #67 of 227
I gave the game a shot this morning. It seems pretty rad so far, though I have to say when I first saw a green item I was all "HOLY COW A SET ITEM WHAT LUCK"

I went with a sniper and seem to be having much better luck with a sniper rifle and assault rifle combo. For people later in the game, do I have any compelling reason to stick with pistols other than the kinda mediocre buffs I can spend my skill points on? I like sniping shit from far away and then finishing them off as they run towards me with the assault rifle.

Also, can't believe how obvious they made it that this game was made for the console. No mouse wheeling in menus!? Looking forward to trying out a bunch of those modifications taco posted later tonight/tomorrow to see how much better the game plays.

Also, anyone know if this was meant to be played on a widescreen monitor? I'm playing on a 17" at 1280x1024 and the screen feels really cluttered when infoboxes pop up.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 02:02 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 01:02 PM #68 of 227
Revolvers are insane, and still get the pistol bonuses.

Getting one to launch a couple bullets at a time is awesome.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 03:31 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 03:31 PM #69 of 227
Haven't had as much time as I'd like, but I'm lev 7 as soldier. I've gone from pistol and rifle to repeater/shotgun and now I'm sporting a repeater dropped off of Nine Toes in addition to a rockin' sniper rifle. The shooter in me is loving the hell out of this. "I'm bored of this weapon. Oooh. This one is stronger. Replacement time."

Also, I love timing Skagg jumps to where I'd unload a shotgun round in their mouth mid-pounce and take them out. It's also slick how some critters have set points where you can land a crit on them. Case-in-point, pop a skagg when its mouth is open. I came across a level 10 Badass Skag the other day and ran up a cliff face. Its path-finding sucked, so it took forever to get close to me, but I would hit it in the mouth whenever it roared/yawned with my sniper rifle, and it'd destroy it every time.

And for the info, Taco. I knew there'd be a way to disable the un-skippable movies.

My main gripe so far is regarding glitches. Whenever Steam boots it up, it tries installing this item or software that NEVER makes it. I get an illegal operation message of sorts and it folds, then the game boots like normal. Also, I crashed last night for the weirdest thing. Alt-tabbed it, like I've done regularly a few times, and it threw some wall-of-text error report at me.

But in closing, Claptraps are the coolest things ever. I love them to death.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Oct 27, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:23 PM #70 of 227
Skills asked for what I see when I play on my apparently shitty laptop:

....why did you get this on PC again?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:31 PM #71 of 227
Because it was cheaper than the 360 version and I helped 3 other people also get it for cheap?

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:50 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 03:50 PM #72 of 227
In his defense, the set up he's got should run it much better than it does. I understand his graphics chipset is a touch underpowered but by no means should it only be capable of that.

Interestingly enough, the graphical style with the quasi-celshading sort of helps make aliasing far more prominent.

This is what I get even with 4x AA.

Edit: Further research suggests this is an engine limitation, which is fine.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Oct 27, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:00 PM #73 of 227
In his defense, the set up he's got should run it much better than it does. I understand his graphics chipset is a touch underpowered but by no means should it only be capable of that.
I mean.

2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
4 gigs of RAM

What would have ever made me think "Gee this will only run this game at 800x600!" I even tried the Batman Arkham Asylum demo since that's another recent UT3 game and it ran at 1280x768 perfectly fine. Borderlands maxes out at about 10 fps when I'm staring at a wall and reaches slideshow status the second bullets start flying.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:06 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 05:06 PM 1 #74 of 227
What would have ever made me think "Gee this will only run this game at 800x600!"

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:10 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2009, 04:10 PM #75 of 227
Try running the game in windowed mode or see if there's some way to disable the game using both cores (if it is trying). I've had to do similar fixes in L4D and TF2 to get stable framerates and it made things A+++.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Borderlands - Shootan and Lootan