Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Consequences of formatting a 16 gb sandisk cruzer flashdrive from fat32 to ntfs?

Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:44 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2011, 12:44 PM #1 of 5
Consequences of formatting a 16 gb sandisk cruzer flashdrive from fat32 to ntfs?

I can’t transfer a 5.23 gb file onto my flashdrive (16 gb sandisk cruzer) because it is formatted to fat32 (it came that way). I heard that if you format it to ntfs, you can transfer files that large.

What are the different consequences of formatting to ntfs? I heard that it will last for a short amount of time- how short will the life expectancy of the flash drive be if I format it to ntfs? Assuming that I backup a bunch of files at least once a week. I also heard that you have to always safely eject the drive or else it will be corrupted- is this even if no files are being transferred? Does formatting delete everything on the flashdrive (and does this cause any problems)? Anything else? Overall, is it a good or bad idea?

Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:02 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2011, 04:02 PM #2 of 5
NTFS can't be read by portable devices (tablets, phones, etc) due to most of them not understanding NTFS. Also, if the device isn't unmounted safely, other computers may bitch and force you to go back to the original computer to remount and then unmount it safely.

I don't see why it'd decrease the lifespan of the device, other than the extra writing from journaling.

Formatting will erase everything from the drive, thats the idea behind it.

Not safely removing will run into the problem above. The loss of data occurs re: not safely removing because the buffer the computer uses to write data to the drive in the background still has information in it. If the buffer is still in the middle of filling the drive and you remove it unsafely, then the drive will have a partial file on it that may confuse a computer, thus the 'loss' of data, the computer doesn't know exactly where one file ends and another begins.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:35 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2011, 01:35 AM #3 of 5
As far as I know, all NT-based systems since 2000 have a convert utility to simply switch from FAT32 to NTFS without losing any of your data. The unsafe-removal warning can be avoided by disabling write-caching, or enabling "Quick Removal" on Windows 7. This feature has also been available for many years. I've ripped out drives without ejecting them on several occasions - in practice it won't do anything to your drive except generate a few warnings of unsafe removal and sometimes warn you of data loss if you haven't set the options mentioned above. Of course, if you decide to remove the disc in the middle of a file transfer you won't avoid partial data loss no matter what system you're using.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 1, 2011, 01:53 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2011, 11:53 AM #4 of 5
Do Macs read NTFS ok? That's the only other thing I could see having an issue other than portable devices.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:41 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2011, 10:41 PM #5 of 5
Do Macs read NTFS ok? That's the only other thing I could see having an issue other than portable devices.
Back in the day, Macs could read, but could not write to NTFS volumes. I'm sure this isn't the case now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Consequences of formatting a 16 gb sandisk cruzer flashdrive from fat32 to ntfs?