Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Writer's Guild of America announces nominations for new "Best Video Game Story" award

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:44 AM Local time: Jan 15, 2008, 10:44 PM #26 of 46
No Mass Effect? No Bioshock? No Call of Duty 4 (The story seems worth a nomination at least)? ...NO ACE COMBAT 6?!

Whoever picked some of these needs to get beat down with an ugly stick.

Most amazing jew boots
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:51 AM #27 of 46
If anything but The Witcher wins, the judges were flying incredibly high. Also, AC6's story is hilariously bad and I'm a member of AC Weeks.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:27 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 07:27 PM #28 of 46
Has no-one but Slayer X played Dead Head Fred? Gosh, the writing in that is priceless.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:02 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 01:02 AM #29 of 46
The logic seems kind of twisted there to me, Nall. What games would make for great stories? Especially when we build setting and characters and what not around the games?
Well, I imagine a game like God of War or some other heavily character-based game could win. Alternatively, as someone mentioned above, a Phoenix Wright game would be equally good for the quality of it's dialog.

And I imagine the WGA is trying to unionize the video game writers so that they'll gain even more power in a steadily growing field of entertainment.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:15 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 01:15 AM #30 of 46
If anything but The Witcher wins, the judges were flying incredibly high. Also, AC6's story is hilariously bad and I'm a member of AC Weeks.
That 'Crash of the Titans' got a nominations and none of the ones I mentioned (Who wins isn't that big of a deal) did not is what I'm more upset about.

AC6's story isn't the greatest, but its certainly better then Crash's.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:28 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 02:28 AM 1 #31 of 46
It's not about quality though, it's about trying to woo over some game writers in this massive union. The WGA would want nothing more than to be able to tie up even MORE entertainment than it's currently able to. Considering many people said "Well, fuck it, I'm gonna go play WoW/Halo/Mario" instead of giving half a shit that boring as fuck Leno is on repeat for a month and a half, they want to be able to get as good a bargaining position as possible. It's an easier battle for them if they tie up as many entertainment channels as they can get their dirty mitts on. This has nothing to do with recognizing a damn thing. It's dirty politics.

Edit: On a side note, some of you people need to realize the difference between quality writing and a good story. One can EASILY exist without the other, and vice versa.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jan 16, 2008 at 03:33 AM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:33 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 07:33 AM 1 #32 of 46
Well, I imagine a game like God of War or some other heavily character-based game could win. Alternatively, as someone mentioned above, a Phoenix Wright game would be equally good for the quality of it's dialog.

And I imagine the WGA is trying to unionize the video game writers so that they'll gain even more power in a steadily growing field of entertainment.
I should specify I meant "What kind of games/genres?" I guess I wanted it to be a rhetorical question but I messed up. I believe that anything can sound good on paper, especially when we just mention titles that have established stories. Pong is a game, would that make a good story? That's what I'm getting at. Not everything is an RPG, moreover RPGs don't necessarily need to have the content of a book in order to meet the genre criteria. I think people seem to be missing the point that story is still supplemental to a game being fun or even having a decent set of surrounding events. Even though it's been implicitly stated otherwise, story is supplementary, the posts I see elsewhere are quite the contrary.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Rotorblade; Jan 16, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:01 PM #33 of 46
I should specify I meant "Why kind of games/genres?" I guess I wanted it to be a rhetorical question but I messed up. I believe that anything can sound good on paper, especially when we just mention titles that have established stories. Pong is a game, would that make a good story? That's what I'm getting at. Not everything is an RPG, moreover RPGs don't necessarily need to have the content of a book in order to meet the genre criteria. I think people seem to be missing the point that story is still supplemental to a game being fun or even having a decent set of surrounding events. Even though it's been implicitly stated otherwise, story is supplementary, the posts I see elsewhere are quite the contrary.
Okay, I see what you're saying. I didn't mean that a game *should* exist without a story, I'm just saying that not all games require a plot to be enjoyable. Music games for instances, or puzzlers. The ones that do have a story (as in, a fully written narrative complete with dialogue, direction, and plot structure) are all the better for it, since it gives the player a directive for what they're doing, and better involves them in the events going on on-screen.

"Why am I lining up these Tetris blocks again?"

"Because if you don't, the dark TetLord will use them to forge the great TetFortress, which will lead to the great Tet... Offensive that will surely destroy the whole of Blocktopia."

"Oh that guy is going down!"

And no, not all games could necessarily make good stories, at least not without some embellishment. Some, though, with pre-established characters and setting could make for exciting or interesting fairy tales if nothing else. That's why we enjoy them as game stories, they accomplish the same goal of the games themselves by giving us feelings of excitement and get our adrenaline and emotions pumping as they both build toward a mutual climax. They could absolutely work as genuine stories, and be considered just as prolific of a medium of expression, RPGs or any text-based game especially, but I'm just saying that the standards have to be different given the way they're portrayed on-screen. Are the games listed here considered good stories game-wise or universally? Or even both? I can't really say because I haven't played them, but they have to at least be entertaining to have been considered, and that's the heart of storytelling anyway.

Originally Posted by Colonel Skills
It's dirty politics.
Maybe, but could this turn out to be a good thing later on? Would more public recognition for games and especially game writers hurt or help gaming as a whole? I'm just asking because I'm not sure myself.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Nall; Jan 16, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:30 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 02:30 PM #34 of 46
Okay, I see what you're saying. I didn't mean that a game *should* exist without a story, I'm just saying that not all games require a plot to be enjoyable.
I think games should be whatever they need to be. With or without story, a game can still be fun. It's just that if you have a bad story in a game, that's unfortunate. If your game outright sucks and has a great story... you still have a shitty game.

Quote:
Music games for instances, or puzzlers. The ones that do have a story (as in, a fully written narrative complete with dialogue, direction, and plot structure) are all the better for it, since it gives the player a directive for what they're doing, and better involves them in the events going on on-screen.

"Why am I lining up these Tetris blocks again?"

"Because if you don't, the dark TetLord will use them to forge the great TetFortress, which will lead to the great Tet... Offensive that will surely destroy the whole of Blocktopia."

"Oh that guy is going down!"
Better for it? Well... I disagree. What does the story have to do with how the game is played, in the end? They are separate things. Story can add to the experience, but I just don't see how that correlates to the actual gameplay at hand. Unless it's an RPG that relies on dialogue trees and decisions based off that.

Just because a game has a story doesn't make it better. It all depends on how it's implemented, so why would we put so much weight on it? Seems like a conflict of interest.

Telling someone they're playing a game and lining out the rules of that game, the objectives, is just as clear as putting a story behind it. If anything, "story" can cloud objectives. The idea of giving story to a game where the objectives are transparent to the player, like it could make it clearer what to do, just doesn't make sense:

Line up geometric shapes in full lines to make them disappear and score points.

Eat the dots in the level, larger dots in the corners let you eat the ghosts that are trying to eliminate you and give you a higher score.

Shoot things and don't touch them in the process.

What more do you need to know? A story can turn all that into an escape, but why would one need a story to give you the basic rules of the game? I imagine we'd want our instructions to be as clear and concise as possible.

Again, I agree that it could make a game better in certain instances and genres, but not in every single instance or facet of a game and it certainly isn't a requirement.

Quote:
And no, not all games could necessarily make good stories, at least not without some embellishment. Some, though, with pre-established characters and setting could make for exciting or interesting fairy tales if nothing else. That's why we enjoy them as game stories, they accomplish the same goal of the games themselves by giving us feelings of excitement and get our adrenaline and emotions pumping as they both build toward a mutual climax. They could absolutely work as genuine stories, and be considered just as prolific of a medium of expression, RPGs or any text-based game especially, but I'm just saying that the standards have to be different given the way they're portrayed on-screen. Are the games listed here considered good stories game-wise or universally? Or even both? I can't really say because I haven't played them, but they have to at least be entertaining to have been considered, and that's the heart of storytelling anyway.
Just because they have the same goal, doesn't make them the same thing. The objective in a game is still different from the objective of a story. They're two different things. Yes, games can have a story crafted around and tailored to them, but have you only been around players who play for story? Some of us just want to play a video game.

Exposition can be long forgotten in certain titles. I can't tell you how many times I would like to skip the cinema scenes in Gradius V. There are times where a game outshines its story. Yes, I like Street Fighter's story... but it certainly gets in the way when I just want to hammer someone in Alpha 3.

Story is a shoe that just isn't always going to fit. You can say you could tailor it to a game... but it isn't always required and it isn't always needed and it doesn't always help the game.

Quote:
Maybe, but could this turn out to be a good thing later on? Would more public recognition for games and especially game writers hurt or help gaming as a whole? I'm just asking because I'm not sure myself.
I'm curious, how do you feel this kind of recognition would help "games?" What exactly do games need help with in this regard?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:37 PM #35 of 46
Bitches be hatin' on Crash for no reason. It's a good game!

Cortex shows up. Crash beats Cortex. PANCAKES. A++ any story that includes pancakes is award winning indeed.

Most amazing jew boots

#654: Braixen
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:13 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 04:13 PM #36 of 46
While I have nothing against unions as a whole, but the reasoning for this whole thing is extremely transparent. The WGA is doing nothing but looking out for themselves here, it has nothing to do with bettering anything. If, by some fluke, game writing gains a tad bit more respect from other fields, then great. But this certainly isn't the point, and it's more than likely not going to accomplish a God damn thing.

Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:18 PM 2 #37 of 46
Originally Posted by Rotorblade
What more do you need to know? A story can turn all that into an escape, but why would one need a story to give you the basic rules of the game? I imagine we'd want our instructions to be as clear and concise as possible.
I'm completely on board with you, a game doesn't need a story. I didn't mean to say they absolutely needed them to be enjoyable, that's just silly. Sorry if my post came off like that, I just meant that stories (good ones, anyway) can help games the same way innovative or solid gameplay can, or the way good music can liven up even a dull moment during a particular scene. It's another factor, certainly, and a game is only ever going to be as strong as its weakest component, story or otherwise.

Quote:
Exposition can be long forgotten in certain titles. I can't tell you how many times I would like to skip the cinema scenes in Gradius V. There are times where a game outshines its story. Yes, I like Street Fighter's story... but it certainly gets in the way when I just want to hammer someone in Alpha 3.
Beating on someone is just what Street Fighter is all about, and the series certainly didn't get popular because of its lore or writing, but the story is there for people who want it. If you want to skip cutscenes, that's fine, I do to after I've played through it about fifty times, and I think we can both totally agree that un-skipabe cutscenes and movies are just a bad feature all around. In Street Fighter's case, the story is never forced on you, so good or bad it's still very negligable either way. It's a prime example of a game that doesn't need any story whatsoever. I doubt many people could tell you Cammy's connection to Bison or Rose off the top of their head anyway. Come tournament time, it's just not a factor.

Quote:
I'm curious, how do you feel this kind of recognition would help "games?" What exactly do games need help with in this regard?
I was just wondering whether the increased public awareness of game writing as a celebrated medium would affect game design in the future. The game industry isn't in any sort of danger at all, I just wanted to know how, if in any way, these sort of accolades would improve it. Would more writers be attracted to work with games instead of, say, movies or books? Would this equate to larger funds for game developers with larger writing divisions? Stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Colonel Skills
While I have nothing against unions as a whole, but the reasoning for this whole thing is extremely transparent. The WGA is doing nothing but looking out for themselves here, it has nothing to do with bettering anything. If, by some fluke, game writing gains a tad bit more respect from other fields, then great. But this certainly isn't the point, and it's more than likely not going to accomplish a God damn thing.
Yeah, you're right, recognition isn't really the point, but If there is an upside to this, I'm just trying to find it, even if it's an indirect result.

Last edited by Nall; Jan 16, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:48 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 03:48 PM 1 #38 of 46
Beating on someone is just what Street Fighter is all about, and the series certainly didn't get popular because of its lore or writing, but the story is there for people who want it. If you want to skip cutscenes, that's fine, I do to after I've played through it about fifty times, and I think we can both totally agree that un-skipabe cutscenes and movies are just a bad feature all around. In Street Fighter's case, the story is never forced on you, so good or bad it's still very negligable either way. It's a prime example of a game that doesn't need any story whatsoever. I doubt many people could tell you Cammy's connection to Bison or Rose off the top of their head anyway. Come tournament time, it's just not a factor.
There are games where it is forced on you, just wanted to present that. Assassin's Creed, 2 choice moments in Gradius V. The fighting game community does know about these story connections you brought up. They just also happen to make a distinction between the game and their fandom.

Quote:
I was just wondering whether the increased public awareness of game writing as a celebrated medium would affect game design in the future. The game industry isn't in any sort of danger at all, I just wanted to know how, if in any way, these sort of accolades would improve it. Would more writers be attracted to work with games instead of, say, movies or books? Would this equate to larger funds for game developers with larger writing divisions? Stuff like that.
A really good comparison came up when I watched Bioshock and Halo 3's respective making of features. A lot of writing is done via contribution, I don't think I've seen anyone solely contribute writing to the creation of a game. Because, again, story is supplemental and is often times built around a game. Thief 2's scenarios were crafted first and then its story was developed based off it. I really don't think writing awards are going to net much of anything for the game overall, at least if a game isn't pushed for its writing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:40 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 04:40 PM #39 of 46
Rotor, do you think a game like Phoenix Wright is completely dependent upon the quality of its writing? Stop being such a whiny bitch about just story and think about all the ways writing can be important. I mean, the story of History of the World Part I is ridiculous, but it's the quality of the writing that makes it a classic movie.

Also, would your panties in as big of a bunch of there was some sort of award given by some ridiculous group of movie CG people for best graphics in a game?

Most amazing jew boots
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:45 PM #40 of 46
First of all, thanks for propping my post, Rotor, that was very mature of you.

Originally Posted by Rotorblade
A really good comparison came up when I watched Bioshock and Halo 3's respective making of features. A lot of writing is done via contribution, I don't think I've seen anyone solely contribute writing to the creation of a game. Because, again, story is supplemental and is often times built around a game. Thief 2's scenarios were crafted first and then its story was developed based off it. I really don't think writing awards are going to net much of anything for the game overall, at least if a game isn't pushed for its writing.
There probably won't be any major changes, I know Spike TV's awards show did very little on the state of the game industry, and are usually lauded by the very community they're supposed to appeal to, so we might not see any effects from this at all, aside from maybe a very small boost in sales for the games nominated. At any rate, a few more people in the general public were reminded that some games do in fact go through a writing process, so that's something at least. It just always seems to be news when games are treated the same as other media like TV and movies, even though their presence has only grown in the past several years.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:27 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 05:27 PM #41 of 46
Rotor, do you think a game like Phoenix Wright is completely dependent upon the quality of its writing? Stop being such a whiny bitch about just story and think about all the ways writing can be important. I mean, the story of History of the World Part I is ridiculous, but it's the quality of the writing that makes it a classic movie.
u mad?

I think writing is a big part for visual novels, yes. Exception, not the rule.

Conversely, how about you list all the ways writing could be important to games? Universally to all types of games. Because I can't really think of too many and that seems to be the issue at hand here, I don't have a problem with accolades, but it's already been pointed out that this all seems pretty opportunistic. I mean, great point about movies... but different medium, chief. I realize that "writing" and "story" can be separate, especially given how most people love the plot of Final Fantasy VI but I would also realize that it isn't exactly Shakespeare.

But that's why I was wondering what the criteria was. Again, the award says "Best Video Game Story" by the Writer's Guild of America. How else am I suppose to infer it, especially when I've admitted I don't quite know everything about what they're going off of.

Quote:
Also, would your panties in as big of a bunch of there was some sort of award given by some ridiculous group of movie CG people for best graphics in a game?
Well, considering the only one who seems upset here is, well, you... I don't think I really have any grounds to answer. I'm wondering how writing helps games universally, the awards themselves? You're telling me Skills didn't quite spell out to you what was fishy about this?

If anything, the idea that "Game Writing" is special and different from any other kind of writing is pretty stupid to me. But... hey, whatever.

First of all, thanks for propping my post, Rotor, that was very mature of you.
It was a good post, a lot of what you've said I've agreed with.

Quote:
There probably won't be any major changes, I know Spike TV's awards show did very little on the state of the game industry, and are usually lauded by the very community they're supposed to appeal to, so we might not see any effects from this at all, aside from maybe a very small boost in sales for the games nominated. At any rate, a few more people in the general public were reminded that some games do in fact go through a writing process, so that's something at least. It just always seems to be news when games are treated the same as other media like TV and movies, even though their presence has only grown in the past several years.
My thoughts on this have always been that we shouldn't be wondering how we're going to be taken "more seriously" in this activity. We play video games, I really think we shouldn't worry about the perceptions of people who don't. We all know, through experience, the types of things games are capable of projecting and executing. It's truly a versatile medium.

I feel we have nothing to prove to people who haven't taken the time to discover the medium for themselves, and that pandering to them (not to say you were implying that) only hurts the developers and the people concerned about their craft.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Rotorblade; Jan 16, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:49 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 05:49 PM #42 of 46
I think writing is a big part for visual novels, yes. Exception, not the rule.
How did we make the jump to comic books here?

Quote:
Conversely, how about you list all the ways writing could be important to games? Universally to all types of games. Because I can't really think of too many and that seems to be the issue at hand here, I don't have a problem with accolades, but it's already been pointed out that this all seems pretty opportunistic. I mean, great point about movies... but different medium, chief. I realize that "writing" and "story" can be separate, especially given how most people love the plot of Final Fantasy VI but I would also realize that it isn't exactly Shakespeare.
Writing isn't important to all types of games. In the same way that special effects aren't important to all kinds of movies. That doesn't mean it isn't an integral part of the industry or something people should write off as ancillary to the experience.

Quote:
But that's why I was wondering what the criteria was. Again, the award says "Best Video Game Story" by the Writer's Guild of America. How else am I suppose to infer it, especially when I've admitted I don't quite know everything about what they're going off of.
If you hit the actual WGA webpage you'd see it's titled "VIDEOGAME WRITING NOMINEES" under the category of "PROMOTION WRITING AND GRAPHIC ART NOMINEES."

Quote:
Well, considering the only one who seems upset here is, well, you... I don't think I really have any grounds to answer. I'm wondering how writing helps games universally, the awards themselves?
What do you mean by universally? As in, video games as a form of mass media competing against books, movies, and tv? Or is it meant as how does good writing help each individual game stand out against each other within the context of video gaming?

Quote:
You're telling me Skills didn't quite spell out to you what was fishy about this?
http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/vi...tml#post568401

Guess I must have missed it where I mentioned it two posts before him.

Quote:
If anything, the idea that "Game Writing" is special and different from any other kind of writing is pretty stupid to me. But... hey, whatever.
Well, it is different. Just as the way writing in every different medium is different. I mean, I wouldn't expect a poet to be a top notch sit-com writer, so why shouldn't game writers be seen as their own sub-niche category of authors? They need to be able to get their message across in far less space than they'd ever have in a novel, movie, or tv show. Sadly most of the writing in video games is on the level of poor fanfiction (and the inability of Japanese to use any sort of symbolism or subtlety) hurts the overall experience for a lot of games out there.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by RacinReaver; Jan 16, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:49 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 06:49 PM #43 of 46
Ok, so I initially just looked up the criteria on the WGA site. Here, I'll post them for your viewing pleasure.

Quote:
To be eligible for entry, games must have been released between December 1, 2006 and November 30, 2007. The submission deadline is November 21, 2007 at 12 p.m. (Noon).
Work that was not produced under WGA jurisdiction may be submitted.
Submitted games MUST have separate credit for writing (i.e. Written By, Story By, Writer, Story Designer, etc.). Writing credits must be verified by their inclusion in the game manual. If writing credits are not printed in the game manual, the publisher must fax or e-mail screenshots of the game's complete writing credits directly to Melissa Gage at the WGAW, fax no.: (323) 782-4810 e-mail: Melissa Gage. Alternate proof of writing credit will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
While there is no limit on the number of credited writers a particular game may have, credits not specifically tied to videogame writing are not acceptable (i.e. Lead Designer, Designed By, Produced By, etc.)
If more than one writer is credited (either through a shared “Written By” credit, or through separate acceptable writing credits as described above), all writers will be nominated as a unit. Note: Writers of source material are not eligible for awards consideration.
All submissions must be made in the name of the credited writer(s), and not the game itself. Only one entry form will be evaluated per game. In the case of multiple writers, a submitting writer must serve as the point person and complete a single entry form for consideration. All writers' names must appear in the Final Writing Credit(s) field on the entry form.
Scripts may also be submitted by the developer/publisher of the game, or by writer representatives (e.g., agents, managers and publicists.) Entries submitted by anyone other than the writer(s) must contain an entry form signed by the submitting writer.
At the time the script is submitted, the credited writer(s) of the game must be, or apply to become, a member of the WGA's New Media Caucus.
Scripts must be submitted in a reasonable approximation of a standard film or TV script format, and must clearly demonstrate a progression of the story. In addition to the script, a synopsis (1-2 pages) is required. The synopsis should describe the flow of the storyline and serve to clarify the game experience.
Submitted scripts should be no longer than 350 pages and printed on 81/2 X 11 white paper. Abridged submissions that maintain the integrity of the narrative are acceptable in order to comply with the maximum page limit. In the case of multiple story pathways, it is acceptable to choose a single path.
Any script consisting solely of random in-game dialog will not be considered.
The five nominated scripts will be retained at the James R. Webb Memorial Library.

THE JUDGING PROCEDURE
The preliminary judging will be done by panels of volunteer New Media Caucus and/or Guild members active in the field of videogame writing. The top rating per script per reader is five points, scaled down to zero. Each script will be read by a minimum of three judges during the preliminary judging, for a potential perfect score of fifteen. The group of final nominees will consist of not more than 5 scripts.
The final judging will be done by a special panel of writers from the New Media Caucus and/or Guild members who have been active in writing for videogames.
If fewer than three (3) script entries are deemed outstanding, no award will be given for that year.
This told me jack shit. So I called a buddy of mine who's a "member of good standing" in the WGA and votes on their film awards. I basically grilled him for a little more information on the criteria, and he said there was none. There's a pool of people who vote on it, and they're given no outline beyond the scoring scale. Read the script of the game, separate from the game itself, and rate it as stated above.

Also, he told me the reason the games nominated were the final ones offered. Almost no games were nominated. Most of the studios didn't bother, because I doubt they want their writers unionised, given that as it stands, they can treat them like, well... how pretty much everyone in the game industry is treated.

And most of the outsiders in the industry couldn't be bothered to go through the hoops of getting something recognised. If there was ever a decent set of awards for the gaming industry, then maybe people would bother.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:54 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 05:54 PM #44 of 46
Quote:
At the time the script is submitted, the credited writer(s) of the game must be, or apply to become, a member of the WGA's New Media Caucus.
Yeah, I imagine this was one of the larger issues for people as well.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:57 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 06:57 PM #45 of 46
Like several of us said earlier. It's the WGA trying to drum up support for their guild during the strike. But don't tell them I said so.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:56 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 06:56 PM #46 of 46
How did we make the jump to comic books here?
We didn't. That's what the Japanese classify a game like Phoenix Wright as.

Quote:
Writing isn't important to all types of games. In the same way that special effects aren't important to all kinds of movies. That doesn't mean it isn't an integral part of the industry or something people should write off as ancillary to the experience.
I'll be saying it later, but I think I view writing in this case as story... and I'd wager that might not be what what you mean when you use the term.

If it IS, I think you've got it twisted. If you strip away all the art, all the story, and all the voice acting and everything else that isn't the objective. The game itself remains. You don't need a story to create an FPS. It's nice. You don't need a story to create an RPG, though it's nice to have. You don't need a story for a puzzle game, a fighting game, a shooting game.

No game absolutely needs a story unless it's designed to have story as critical, unless it plays it into the fold. That would still make it an optional ingredient to designers. Story is supplemental to video games. Writing, scripting events... it all depends on how you want to use it. Writing -- or as I think I understand it at the moment, story -- can enrich the experience, but you can still have a video game without it.

Quote:
If you hit the actual WGA webpage you'd see it's titled "VIDEOGAME WRITING NOMINEES" under the category of "PROMOTION WRITING AND GRAPHIC ART NOMINEES."
Caught Deni's post just now. Thanks, by the way.

Quote:
What do you mean by universally? As in, video games as a form of mass media competing against books, movies, and tv? Or is it meant as how does good writing help each individual game stand out against each other within the context of video gaming?
I mean, all these game genres, right? How can writing help enrich the core of a fighting game? 2 Players fighting each other, that is. Or an FPS? How can writing factor into surviving a first person shooter or changing the mechanics of a puzzle game. I've always seen that the artist and the technical designers on game projects always clash, because art and game design have fundamentally different goals in mind. That said, I want to know how all games could benefit from the act of writing... but I think "writing" has turned into a euphemism for story, though that's where the topic began in a way.

I think it is safe to say that video games are all universally different, because barring same genre, similar elements, no game is played the same way. That said, no 2 games in different genres would need the same things, so I find it hard that just one element can completely enrich a game. Granted basic writing factors in the same way math probably would in game creation. You still need to dream up scenarios, script, all that fun stuff that goes into the infrastructure of a game.

Quote:
http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/vi...tml#post568401

Guess I must have missed it where I mentioned it two posts before him.
That makes two of us? Or just me, doh.

Quote:
Well, it is different. Just as the way writing in every different medium is different. I mean, I wouldn't expect a poet to be a top notch sit-com writer, so why shouldn't game writers be seen as their own sub-niche category of authors? They need to be able to get their message across in far less space than they'd ever have in a novel, movie, or tv show. Sadly most of the writing in video games is on the level of poor fanfiction (and the inability of Japanese to use any sort of symbolism or subtlety) hurts the overall experience for a lot of games out there.
I agree and disagree. The latter part of your post... yeah, definitely. As for the former, writing is writing, to me. Certain mediums don't always need the same things that others do, but it bothers me in the same way you can say a game has good "Gameplay", but you'd look like an ass if you said a movie had good "moviewatch" or a book had good "bookread."

I think that narrows it down to a personal problem until I can argue otherwise... and I don't think I can at the moment.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Rotorblade; Jan 16, 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] Writer's Guild of America announces nominations for new "Best Video Game Story" award