Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Your workout routine

Ghodbane
Chocobo

Member 2867

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:58 PM #1 of 20
Your workout routine

Having been an out of shape ectomorph (skinny dweeb) for all of my early adult life (I'm 22), I recently took it upon myself to venture into the unknown and start working out fairly regularly. I kickstarted my goal of attaining a half-decent level of fitness by jogging almost every day. My progress has been pretty good - I'm able to run a good 1.5 miles a day (which may be pathetic for some, but hey you gotta start somewhere) at a slow but steady pace, and I've felt a general sense of wellbeing of late (don't run out of breath as easily, shin splints aren't as painful, etc). I plan to continue this regimen.

I've also started doing deadlifts and bench presses and moulded my diet around attaining as much protein/carbs as possible. I'm interested to know what sorts of workouts you folks do, and what sorts body type traits you possess which you tailor your workouts towards.

If anyone else ever started as a skinny dweeb, I'd be interested to know how you tailored your workouts/diets.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:08 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 10:08 PM #2 of 20
I don't lift weights myself but I do a fair amount of walking with my dogs and I ride my bike almost religiously for 15 miles round trip. it's never really done anything to shape me up but it does wonders to keep me feeling healthy at the very least. I used to run out of breath quickly when I was in high school and I was in better physical shape.

I'm fairly certain the reason I don't lose weight as much as I'd like is because I drink more heavy beers than all my friends put together and a lot of empty calories and hoppy liquids are a recipe for :fat:.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:28 AM Local time: Oct 29, 2008, 05:28 AM 1 #3 of 20
I can benchpress a 5oz martini.

My current workout consists of walking my border collie. He's a very active dog and hence needs a lot of attention and excercise. I've taken him out twice tonight already. Generally when we're down the fields at night I do tend to sprint as far as possible. I've gotten quite terrible at it since I started smoking but I try and ignore the terrible cramps I get in my shoulders (rather akin to my cross country days) and power through. Apart from that I lift weights (aka double whiskeys) most nights.

My metabolism confuses me. A perfect example would be one night I spent with friends eating pizza, chips and chocolate, playing Timesplitters and Halo. I weighed myself the next morning and I'd lost 3 pounds. I was a born gamer apparently.

I used to do 50 press-ups, 50 sit-ups and 40 minutes on my bike each day, but I just don't have the energy these days. I reckon it's starting to show.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Bernard Black; Oct 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:41 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 10:41 PM #4 of 20
Being tall and thinlike, I try to focus on my shoulders, chest, and calves while doing core exercises.

Day 1:
Bench press
Dips
Pec-Flies
Incline Dumbell Bench Press
Standing Military Press - Freeweight
Upright Rows
Deadlifts

Day 2:
Cable machine pull-downs wide grip
Pull downs close grip
Cable tricep extensions with rope
Cable curls with straight bar
Squats
Sitting calf raises
Standing calf raises
Abdominal situp machine

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:02 AM Local time: Oct 29, 2008, 12:02 AM #5 of 20
Being monstrous and sort of like a 6'6" truck with legs, I tend to focus on being huge and truck like. So a lot of heavy, heavy weights.

Day 1: Biceps/Back
Standing Barbell Curls 3 sets
Preacher Curls 2 sets
Deadlift 3 sets
Lat Pull Down 3 sets
Seated Cable Row 4 sets

Day 2: Chest/Triceps/Forearms
Flat Bench 4 sets
Incline Hammer Strength Machine 2 sets
Dumbell Flies 2 sets
Tricep press down 2 sets
Weighted Dips 2 sets
Reverse Barbell Preachers 4 sets
Seated Palms down barbell curls 2 sets
Seated Palms up barbell curls 2 sets

Day 3 Shoulders/Neck/Legs
Overhead press 4 sets
Front raise 2 sets
Lat raise 3 sets
Rear lat raise 2 sets
Upright Row 2 set
Shrugs 3 sets
Squats 4 sets
Leg Extension 2 sets
Leg Curl 2 sets
Seated Calf raises 2 sets
Standing Calf raises 3 sets

I also do 40 minutes of cardio (usually running or the eliptical) 5 times a week and two days of abs, usually on day 1 and 2. Usually straight crunches and the inverted machine.

Been doing this the last 3 months, and it's been working wonders.

I was speaking idiomatically.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:14 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 11:14 PM #6 of 20
You need to examine your goals, be it getting bigger, stronger (which aren't maximally related) or what, and tailor your diet and workout routine accordingly.

Free weights are always always always better than machines, provided you do the lifts correctly. Squats are the single most important exercise you can ever learn to do.

The absolute main reason the majority of skinny guys can't gain the weight they'd like to when they start pumping weights is because they aren't committing themselves to the kind of diet necessary to support that kind of mass building.

The most successful dietary change I've heard of is, outside of retooling an entire diet (which I'm not going to go into here) is adding a gallon of milk to your diet every day. Seriously. A jug of whole milk. It's one of the cheapest sources of good protein you can buy, and its carb/fat/protein ratio makes it convenient since you don't have to measure shit, you can just drink it. For skinny guys who are just starting to train, it is more effective than steroids (and also you're not a total moron if you drink milk).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:18 AM Local time: Oct 29, 2008, 12:18 AM #7 of 20
That or high amounts of whey protein. Accomplishes similar things without having to DRAIN A FUCKING COW.

>8(

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:30 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 11:30 PM 1 #8 of 20
COW IS BETTER AND CHEAPER.

Most amazing jew boots
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:43 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 11:43 PM #9 of 20
I just down massive amounts of Muscle Milk + Creatine, am I doing this right.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:49 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 11:49 PM 2 #10 of 20
You were trying to do it in the air, I have assisted you in attaining your goal of "doing it right."

llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Oct 30, 2008, 05:52 AM #11 of 20
Having been an out of shape ectomorph (skinny dweeb) for all of my early adult life (I'm 22), I recently took it upon myself to venture into the unknown and start working out fairly regularly. I kickstarted my goal of attaining a half-decent level of fitness by jogging almost every day. My progress has been pretty good - I'm able to run a good 1.5 miles a day (which may be pathetic for some, but hey you gotta start somewhere) at a slow but steady pace, and I've felt a general sense of wellbeing of late (don't run out of breath as easily, shin splints aren't as painful, etc). I plan to continue this regimen.

I've also started doing deadlifts and bench presses and moulded my diet around attaining as much protein/carbs as possible. I'm interested to know what sorts of workouts you folks do, and what sorts body type traits you possess which you tailor your workouts towards.

If anyone else ever started as a skinny dweeb, I'd be interested to know how you tailored your workouts/diets.
Being an ectomorph is a very hard thing to counter, it's a lot easier to lose weight than to gain weight. (believe it or not). It's also easier for an endomorph to lose weight, it requires more willpower, but you have more control over the situation.

To be honest, while running will definitely make you feel better (a lot better, <3 running. im a 270lb 6'5 guy and i can run 5 miles in 45 minutes. kinda slow but It's good endurance) it wont help with you gaining muscle as much, although it's excellent for the legs and core.

Depending on how thin you are I would go on a bulk diet, and hit the gym. I know bulk diets can be extremely hard for people like you (a lot of ectomorphs can barely finish a full McDonald meal), but you've gotta eat more to gain mass. Once you've gained the mass, you convert it (simultaneously) to muscle by lifting. Making muscle out of nowhere is much harder than making muscle out of fat.(another reasons endomorphs have ti easier) There is nothing wrong with bulking if done right, even people overweight bulk to gain additional muscle (muscle heads). If done wrong you become a candidate for heart disease, even if you aren't very fat.
Look up bulking, but it's mainly just eating a hell of a lot more than you're used to, but making ti healthy things. pasta, fish, chicken, salad, etc. but A LOT of it. think of Michael Phelps diet and copy it.

Dieting and exercising is no secret. Eat more gain more, eat less gain less, run to lose, lift to gain.

While jogging is wonderful, it's more important for endomorphs. As an endomorph myself (i think i am, i may be a lazy meso) I "focus" on jogging, but also lift.

As an ecto you should 'focus" on lifting, and also jog. Jogging raises your metabolism, which you don't need. It also increases health, strength, and leg muscle, which you do need.

Last edited by llmercll; Oct 30, 2008 at 05:55 AM.
thesleeper
Carob Nut

Member 1825

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:41 PM Local time: Nov 1, 2008, 01:41 AM #12 of 20
what about swimming?

i (try to) go swimming weekly. just a thought.
the different styles workout the different areas of your body, plus the underwater thing increases your stamina somewhat. (and as a plus point, sun gives you tan, without the burn.)

and speaking of endomorphs, if youre not afraid of the baring your body wearing trunks thing, you stay underwater pretty much most of the time =) (or you can wear one of those ninja ian thorpe suits.)

diet of fish not required.

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:47 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2008, 07:47 PM #13 of 20
Swimming is basically cardio, but with a lot more put into it than simply running. Obviously you would work out your arms and such.

Swimming is a great exercise.

I was speaking idiomatically.
thesleeper
Carob Nut

Member 1825

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:17 PM Local time: Nov 1, 2008, 11:17 AM #14 of 20
also, if youre feeling adventurous, but dont have THAT wide a pool, i read somewhere that if you can procure a bungee cord, you can make some sort of treadmill for your time in the pool.

then you can swim till youre tired.

How ya doing, buddy?
robitrocks
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 32324

Level 2.00

Nov 2008

Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:18 PM #15 of 20
Freeweights are king. If you google "Crossfit" and go the main site you'll find a lot of free workout resources and workout routines that you can do in only 15 mins. If you do a 15min crossfit workout, 5 days a week you will definitely see a difference after only a week.
Word of warning: It'll kick your butt.

Most amazing jew boots
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:26 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2008, 03:26 PM #16 of 20
I have an hour long routine that i started not too long ago, and i've been doing an ok job of sticking to.

I stat with 20 minutes on a stationary bike to get my cardio going. After that i do free weights, low weight high rep for about 20 minutes. After that i do sit ups and push ups. If i have time left over i either get back on the bike or shoot hoops if there's other guys in the gym at the time.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:49 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2008, 02:49 PM 1 #17 of 20
I don't know what your goals are, but if it's to gain strength you need to rethink the way you approach weight training. You want your work sets to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of five reps, at the absolute maximum weight you can manage.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:14 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2008, 05:14 PM #18 of 20
Two entirely different kinds of training sir. I'm not training for competitions or anything, i'm just trying to get in shape. This routine was developed by myself, my father (who's been working out his entire life) and various friends who have been in and out of gyms for years, not mention the several people i know who are trainers. And besides, it's getting results.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:32 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2008, 07:32 PM #19 of 20
That's why I started with "I'm not sure what your goals are." The reason most people push weights is because they're looking to increase strength, an end toward which low-weight high-rep sets are not the most efficient path.

If you don't exercise, and then you start exercising, of course you will have results. I'm just saying, depending on your goals, certain ways are more efficient at achieving them than others.

Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:56 PM #20 of 20
Quote:

I found being more active regularly gave me more of an appetite, so I started to eat more to make up for lost calories through exercises, that resulted in 15lbs increase in lean muscle after 1.5months. I'm 5'9" and 145lbs now, used to be 5'9" and 130lbs.

I could never work out at the gym before because..... well, my only true motivation had been on the basis of vanity, and that wasn't quite enough to drag me out of bed and go out to the gym. I kept lying to myself and saying it was for health reasons, but I eventually realized things and just stopped going.

Later on I started rock climbing, really really enjoyed it, and started to go all the time. I realized my physical limitations when I hit harder grades and started more boulder problems, so I had to work out my climbing muscles. Now I had a solid foundation of motivation, to climb harder and better. Funny though, after I started climbing, I got more motivated to exercise for health purposes and realized the importance more.

Anyways...... don't know where I'm going with that, I don't think I should bother posting my work out routine since it's all rock climbing related muscles on my hangboard. Basically a bunch of pull ups and dead hangs with fingers.

Some advice might help you though....... is take some whey protein. Be careful what you buy though, some have different effects, and I've found some companies try to hide the fact that they contain creatine by calling it something else. I personally take PRO-ISL, it doesn't contain creatine, and it mainly works towards repairing my muscles and making them stronger instead of building up mass, since I'm concerned with my muscle to weight ratio.

My second piece of advice is NOT TO UNDERESTIMATE REST DAYS. It's vital. You do your growing on rest days and will progress quicker if you give yourself proper rest days. Obviously it'll reduce your chances of injury too.

Third piece of advice..... have a strong base of motivation. Your workouts need to be a regular routine and needs to continue through the months. So identifying your motivation will make you feel better and see your goal more clearly. This will help you get out to work yourself.

As for what I ate....... I didn't really change what I ate..... just made sure I got at least 2000calories in per day and things just sort of worked from there.

Anyways, this is all from my personal experience, best of luck to you!

oh my gawddd

Last edited by Greykin; Nov 29, 2008 at 10:24 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Your workout routine