Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Universal DS Homebrew thread. Fucking cheapskates.

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2008, 06:48 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2008, 05:48 PM #1 of 515
R4 Chips & Such

I've recently been looking into the R4 chip. For some reason, I was originally under the impression that I could put roms on it OTHER than DS roms. I recently learned this is not so. For my personal preferences, this deems the R4 chip unnecessary to me. My question is, is there a product similar to the R4 chip that enables me to put NES/SNES/Gameboy roms onto my DS?

Thanks guys!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:07 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2008, 09:07 AM #2 of 515
So it sounds like M3 is the way to go because you can put any emulator on it (provided it will fit), as well as play downloaded DS games? Is it the general consensus that M3 is the best? Ive read most of the posts here but I still can't come to a conclusion about which is best for me. I really want to play the old emulated games (NES/SNES/Genesis/Gameboy) but also would like to play the downloaded games... tell me what you think.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by DeLorean; Sep 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:46 PM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 02:46 PM #3 of 515
I've asked this question before, but it has been about a year and I'm wondering if there is anything out there that I am missing.

I would like something like the R4 that I can download and play DS games on, but also be able to handle NES/SNES/GB/GBC emulators and ROMS. Is there anything stable out there that will do this effectively? I know there is something like it already that really doesn't have a good reputation as far as emulating the older games. Anyone know a good amount about this?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:01 PM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 04:01 PM #4 of 515
The DS can handle NES/GBC/GB pretty well. SNES and Genesis unfortunately are still lacking. It's not the cartridge that you should be worried about but the homebrew and the DS hardware capabilities to support the homebrew.

So just get a CycloDS or something comparable already and maybe in the far future there will be some homebrew that does SNES/Genesis emulation justice.

The one thing that I would like to research one of these days is what cards work with the DSi and if there is anything on the DSi that has been unlocked for homebrew and stuff. I'm not really interested in the DSi and of course with it having firmware that makes tinkering all the more difficult but I'm still curious.
You seem to be a fan of CycloDS, so I was hoping to ask you a few questions. I was reading up on their site, and it says under the CycloDS Evolution section "100% compatibility, supports clean ROM's - works on any OS". Are they talking about DS ROMS, or other ROMS, or both?

Do you recommend Evolution, MiniSD, or MicroSD for my purposes? (Playing DS ROMs, and some older systems ROMs is a plus)

Also, there were a bunch of sites listed on "WHERE 2 BUY", none of which I have used before. Recommendations there? Thanks for your time.

How ya doing, buddy?
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:45 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 09:45 AM #5 of 515
There are only a few DSi-compatible flashcarts right now. If anything, I'd say wait until flashcarts are totally unnecessary - the thing has an SD slot; I'd wager an exploit will be found before very long.

To answer your question, no, I don't reckon it'll ever be able to play GBA games. The GBA slot isn't present on the new hardware, so it stands to reason that it's lacking the requisite software/firmware, too.
Isn't it possible to run a homebrew GBA emulator though? I'm probably missing something here, I'm pretty new to these applications.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:24 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2009, 10:24 AM #6 of 515
Theoretically, yes. However, because the games would be running through an emulation layer and not natively on the hardware, it'd be about as fast as wading through molasses.
Ah, I see I see. So someone would have to make a GBA emulator designed to run on the DS... which is unlikely I guess. Good thing I have a rockin' DS Lite!!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Universal DS Homebrew thread. Fucking cheapskates.