Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:52 AM #351 of 4284
Originally Posted by Elixir
But will that work with XII? If it does, well, good. Actually, bad. Because then there would be a portion of games on the PS2(like you said; SotC) which won't be playable. If you're prevented from playing certain games due to the increased quality, it isn't worth it.
What the fuck? I said SotC is almost unplayabled on an HDTV because it has no AA. How would that be bad? Like I said before, it was announced that these features go hand-in-hand with backwards compatibility similar to what we have with the PS2. How this would make the game unplayable is beyond me, and how you got to that point is equally mystifying.

Quote:
Which is more important, quality or games themselves? I'm going to say games themselves, because quality can only go so far. I don't have a HDTV nor will I ever, but I won't be interested in the PS3 for that.
So games and quality are mutually exclusive? I'd like to think that games with good gameplay usually have some reasonable amount of effort put into it's appearance as well. What makes you so certain that launch titles will be up to your standards of quality? More often than not, they're shitty, short-lived graphics showcases with skeleton stories and feaures.

When that happens, you'll be more than willing to play FFXII on the machine knowing that the game is worth your time.

Quote:
The whole thing that gets me with the PS3 is the backwards compatibility. If they're going to enhance PS2 games, how will they manage to enhance ones like SotC?
You must not be reading my posts completely.

How ya doing, buddy?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 07:01 PM #352 of 4284
Quote:
What the fuck? I said SotC is almost unplayabled on an HDTV because it has no AA. How would that be bad? Like I said before, it was announced that these features go hand-in-hand with backwards compatibility similar to what we have with the PS2. How this would make the game unplayable is beyond me, and how you got to that point is equally mystifying.
You just said that SotC was unplayable on a HDTV because of AA. If the PS3 fixes this, how are we to know if there's going to be problems or not with PS2 titles? We don't. How do we know if SotC will run better? We don't. That is also a really bad example, because ICO and SotC are known for having problems on flatscreen tv's.

It's pointless to buy a PS3 just to play PS2 games. No doubt they won't support PS1 controllers or something like that.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:04 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 08:04 AM #353 of 4284
And besides the whiner forgets one thing... You can manually turn off all those effects. You are just here to whine and rant. If this keeps up you'll get a split to remove your trash to sewers.

It's pointless to buy a PS3 just to play PS2 games. No doubt they won't support PS1 controllers or something like that.
And that has fuck what with FFXII to do? People will buy PS3 and people will buy FFXII, many will buy both. GTFO this isn't PS3 discussion thread.

*mumbles something about attention whoring morons and ranters these days*

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Kensaki; Mar 18, 2006 at 01:07 AM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:12 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 07:12 PM #354 of 4284
I'm not whining. Are you incapable of reading my posts, or is it heredity?

I said that there's no point in buying a PS3 to play a PS2 game. There's no point in buying a PS3 for a slight graphical improvement in XII. You might as well just stick with your PS2.

If you're going to buy a PS3, a bunch of games, and XII, and then proceed to play XII on the PS3, you are a fucking idiot.

It's about as sensible as buying a HDTV to see if PS2 games will have an improvement on the PS3. XII probably won't have much of a significant difference and nor will all PS2 games.

The XII english release isn't deliberately set to be released with the PS3, I can tell. It's an RPG and they take forever to get the voice acting and text translated, and as it's still a work in progress it's plausable to see that they need their time. I think translating their games is much more important than upgrading graphics which are perfectly fine.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:19 AM #355 of 4284
You just said that SotC was unplayable on a HDTV because of AA.
No, I didn't. I said I had an HDTV, whose native res is 720p, and then went on to say that the game has no AA. It's pretty obvious from the rest of the message that it was the anti-aliasing feature that would help make the game a easier on the eyes on a large TV.

Quote:
An incredbile example would be SotC, a game that is almost unplayable on my 720p HDTV. It has no AA, and it shows. If it even had one level of it applied, it'd make a difference, let alone 4.
Quote:
If the PS3 fixes this, how are we to know if there's going to be problems or not with PS2 titles? We don't. How do we know if SotC will run better? We don't. That is also a really bad example, because ICO and SotC are known for having problems on flatscreen tv's.
Honestly, we don't know, but given that the backwards compatibility in the PS3 is based on hardware and software makes that hightly unlikely. The EE and GS of the PS2 are on one chip now, that's why the PSTwo became possible to make in the first place. It'd cost next to nothing to put it in the PS3. Couple that with numerous SPEs and the main core doing software emulation and it'll be a surprise to see only 90% BC rate.

Like the above poster said, folks are going to play FFXII on their PS3 if they get both. Just pointing out that the features built into the machine may soften the blow from a PS3 to PS2 game.

Quote:
Nobody can be this short-sighted. We're talking about Sony here. The guys who left out 4 controller ports in order to get people to buy over priced multi-taps. Even if they don't make USB to PS2 adapters, third parties will.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 08:25 AM #356 of 4284
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
You must not be reading my posts completely.
He knows surprisingly little of the machine he is trashing heh.

PS3 uses complete emulation on the cell chip to run the PS1/2 games. This is why they can be so sure that all games will work great. If a problem occurs it can be patched through the network or probably will be on one of those magazine demo disks.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 07:29 PM #357 of 4284
That's also a quote you should consider understanding for yourself, because I was never trashing the PS3.

I'm skeptical as to what improvements PS2 games will have on the PS3. We didn't see any difference(actually, there was a lower quality out of some games) with the 360, and Sony could follow the same road.

In the end, we don't know until it's released. XII is going to be great whether it has slight improvements on an expensive next generation console, or whether it's just on a regular PS2.

I find it strange that they are releasing XII the same time as the PS3, and Nintendo are releasing Twilight Princess the same time as the Revolution. Coincidence?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 08:34 AM #358 of 4284
It's called buisiness.

Also MS just uses a similar arcitecture for their 360 platform and did little to accomodate older games. Thus only the games that are coockie cutter code and are standard will work good on it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:40 AM #359 of 4284
....Ahem.

Anyway, there's always a chance that FFXII will have a feature that will enhance its graphics if played on the PS3. Look at FFTA, it had an option to play the game if you were using it on the GBA SP (and it was released a little bit before the SP). Maybe FFXII will do the same.

I suppose the PS3 won't have an option to turn all the PS2 games widescreen. Probably impossible.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:59 AM #360 of 4284
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
....Ahem.

Anyway, there's always a chance that FFXII will have a feature that will enhance its graphics if played on the PS3. Look at FFTA, it had an option to play the game if you were using it on the GBA SP (and it was released a little bit before the SP). Maybe FFXII will do the same.

I suppose the PS3 won't have an option to turn all the PS2 games widescreen. Probably impossible.
Nah, I doubt it'll be able to force widescreen output. But remember, DQVIII in Japan reportedly had no 16:9 support, while we got it in the end. We may see something like that.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:05 AM #361 of 4284
If it's taking until November to get here, it damn well better.

Effloresce
Someone

Member 3392

Level 4.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:24 AM #362 of 4284
All of this discussion is very interesting. The sources from other forums being brought into the same thread is a lot more info than I was looking for, but in a good way.

Seems like you people really are aware of everything being posted out there, so I have a question.

I read some stuff posted on 2chan on the 13th and 14th about some possible big game spoilers, mainly stuff pertaining to the final boss and who/what that boss is, and how they tie into the story of course. In that thread, I also came across the possibility of
Spoiler:
a character dying.
I find it hard to believe that people would know all of this, considering the first FF12 torrent did not hit the web until the 14th (correct me if I am wrong, please). I would hope this information is just speculation, I really didn't want anything spoiled and came across the thread by accident. I do not know how these people could post all of that info, seeing as how the game wasn't even released yet, and pirated versions JUST hit the web as they were typing all of that...

Anyway, does anyone know if that discussion is false or just a bunch of speculation? It was titled "FF12 ultimate capture" or something weird like that.

And the game is coming out in November? I thought they said October. Damn. Oh well, we've waited long enough... what's the difference at this point, right?

Last edited by Effloresce; Mar 18, 2006 at 03:27 AM.
Craze
~Need a break~

Member 2021

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:41 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 04:41 PM #363 of 4284
Well...even pictures of the final boss is out, so it's no surprise if they can tell that
Spoiler:
a character dies. Although...they may be referring to Ashe's husband, Rasler? Heh, I even heard people saying that all the female characters will die, leaving the guys at the end of the game.

You never know, it's been 2 days since the Japanese version was released, probably some FF fan in Japan had already completed the game..

Initial release date for the English version was set in August, then now pushed to November...

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Craze; Mar 18, 2006 at 03:44 AM.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:51 AM #364 of 4284
Originally Posted by Effloresce
All of this discussion is very interesting. The sources from other forums being brought into the same thread is a lot more info than I was looking for, but in a good way.

Seems like you people really are aware of everything being posted out there, so I have a question.

I read some stuff posted on 2chan on the 13th and 14th about some possible big game spoilers, mainly stuff pertaining to the final boss and who/what that boss is, and how they tie into the story of course. In that thread, I also came across the possibility of
Spoiler:
a character dying.
I find it hard to believe that people would know all of this, considering the first FF12 torrent did not hit the web until the 14th (correct me if I am wrong, please). I would hope this information is just speculation, I really didn't want anything spoiled and came across the thread by accident. I do not know how these people could post all of that info, seeing as how the game wasn't even released yet, and pirated versions JUST hit the web as they were typing all of that...

Anyway, does anyone know if that discussion is false or just a bunch of speculation? It was titled "FF12 ultimate capture" or something weird like that.

And the game is coming out in November? I thought they said October. Damn. Oh well, we've waited long enough... what's the difference at this point, right?
The info is most likely correct if it's on 2ch. Despite a few stores breaking street date last week the Chinese release was also before the Japanese release of the game.

As for the November US release...I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now until a specific date is announced considering Wada said only last week in Famitsu FFXII would be released in the US during the summer and then sometime before the end of 2006 for Europe.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:53 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 09:53 PM #365 of 4284
Originally Posted by Effloresce
I read some stuff posted on 2chan
2chan is... japanese, I think? You can read japanese?

If so, please translate this because I'm interested in seeing what the Final Fantasy XII PS2 console offers aside from an engraving.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:58 AM #366 of 4284
2chan is... japanese, I think? You can read japanese?

If so, please translate this because I'm interested in seeing what the Final Fantasy XII PS2 console offers aside from an engraving.
I can answer that. Aside from the "FFXII" edition PS2 you also get a copy of the game and a strap.

duckroll at Gaming-Age got it:

Most amazing jew boots
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:10 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 10:10 PM #367 of 4284
I really don't think that's worth it :/ But the game still looks great.

I would of thought that an art book or sometihng like that(at least a strategy guide, possibly a keychain or even a lighter like they did with Advent Children) would of come with it.

It'll become a collectors item either way. I still prefer the white PS2's though. I can't help but think that a white PS2 with the Final Fantasy XII logo, and the engraving with a black outline, would of looked better.

FELIPE NO
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:50 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 11:50 AM #368 of 4284
No way worth it. You need to be a total fanatical fan or japanese to buy a console just for that.

Hmmm but I want that limited edition OST badly though. :P

How ya doing, buddy?
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:33 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 11:33 AM #369 of 4284
I'm getting my copy on Monday =) Can't wait to play!! What about the menu translations? Anyone have them?

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:38 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 11:38 PM #370 of 4284
You could check here, which is huge, and may cover it.

Gamefaqs will have some XII FAQs posted soon.

B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:56 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 11:56 AM #371 of 4284
Thanks but I was looking rather for some Manu's on Inventory translations ^^'

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:07 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 12:07 PM #372 of 4284
Originally Posted by B4-Hunter
Me too, but I guess there will be more than enough in a couple of days. The only thing I figured out so far is that you can save if you touch the blue diamonds ='D

Hello_Kitty
Chocobo

Member 291

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:08 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 01:08 PM #373 of 4284
Originally Posted by B4-Hunter
http://ff12trans.pbwiki.com/

How ya doing, buddy?
Tiptoe down To the holy places
Where you going now Don't turn around

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:11 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 12:11 PM #374 of 4284
Mmmkay now that's freaking amazing. Thanks a lot for the link, dude =D

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:13 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 12:13 PM #375 of 4284
Originally Posted by Hello_Kitty
I love you

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Final Fantasy XII