Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Yasunori Mitsuda Talks Chrono Trigger, Arrange Albums, and "Unreleased Tracks"

Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:41 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2008, 06:41 PM #1 of 15
Yasunori Mitsuda Talks Chrono Trigger, Arrange Albums, and "Unreleased Tracks"

With Chrono Trigger due out this week, I thought it'd be a good time to ask Mitsuda about those "Unreleased Songs" that have been floating around the Internet in recent years. It's good to finally get clarification on what they actually are:

Yasunori Mitsuda Talks Chrono Trigger: Mysteries Solved, Clarifications Made

We also discuss his Chrono Cross guitar album, The Brink of Time, and the Orchestra Extra Soundtrack disc. We're also going to have a little surprise next week, but I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:04 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2008, 08:04 PM 1 #2 of 15
I already knew about the tracks Sekito added for the Omake/extras menus in the PlayStation version (Final Fantasy Chronicles). The DS track titles are the same. Sorry you kept hitting a brick wall when asking Mitsuda about them, but at least that should clear it up for everyone now.

If you want to hear some unreleased tracks, you should check out the Chrono Trigger Pre-release (Beta) SPC dump. Of particular interest is the original version of the boss battle theme composed by Noriko Matsueda before it was arranged by Nobuo Uematsu. It's labeled in this pack as track 41 "Tyrano Lair".

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Nov 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:30 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2008, 09:30 PM #3 of 15
Would have been cool if they put these on the PSX CT soundtrack. Twinkling is absolutely amazing. Still, it was good to hear it from Mitsuda, and it was interesting talking about the guitar album and The Brink of Time. Shame he isn't interested in doing something similar, as there's still nothing quite like BoT.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ghodbane
Chocobo

Member 2867

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:07 AM #4 of 15
Seems like Mitsuda hasn't been putting any soul into the VGM he's done lately. Soma Bringer isn't all bad, but nothing's been as noteworthy as Xenogears/saga or the Chrono series. Although his arranged music is decent (Kirite and Creid)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:11 AM #5 of 15
Grunge? In BoT? Did I miss something? Also, a BIT of a stretch saying it was one of the more popular arranges among international fans...

Otherwise, good interview.

Seems like Mitsuda hasn't been putting any soul into the VGM he's done lately. Soma Bringer isn't all bad, but nothing's been as noteworthy as Xenogears/saga or the Chrono series. Although his arranged music is decent (Kirite and Creid)
I personally disagree...I was a huge fan of CT and Xenogears and I never got into anything else of his after that, so I tend to find Mitsuda quite overrated overall. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Soma Bringer and Inazuma Eleven, especially after Armodyne felt like a huge waste of time. I think Soma would get more attention if it were music in a game that people would actually play. Inazuma is just fun...After the generic military shtick of Armodyne and compared to his overall serious tone in most of his work, it was nice to hear a fun soundtrack from him. He gets excellent sound out of the DS if I do say so myself.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Nov 25, 2008 at 01:21 AM.
Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:54 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2008, 04:24 PM #6 of 15
Quote:
Thanks to Norihiko Hibino for conducting this interview and translating the responses
It does surprise me that someone with a decent composer career like him should actively do such a tiring and unregarded background task... He would be, if not a god, a very benevolent guy.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Taisai; Nov 25, 2008 at 02:01 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:29 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2008, 06:29 PM #7 of 15
Or maybe he's also a huge VGM fan... =)

FELIPE NO
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:48 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2008, 06:48 AM #8 of 15
Grunge? In BoT? Did I miss something? Also, a BIT of a stretch saying it was one of the more popular arranges among international fans...
I don't think so at all. It's in 33 collections on VGMdb, and everyone seems to know about it. My personal opinion is that it should be in every collection, although perhaps I did say that hoping to interest him in doing something similar again in the future... ;D

It does surprise me that someone with a decent composer career like him should actively do such a tiring and unregarded background task... He would be, if not a god, a very benevolent guy.
He did it as a personal favor to me. Not like he has nothing better to do. He was meeting with Mitsuda anyway, and I asked him if he could ask Mitsuda some questions for me.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2008, 01:59 PM #9 of 15
I don't think so at all. It's in 33 collections on VGMdb, and everyone seems to know about it.
I think that has more to do with the album being the lone official arrangement to Chrono Trigger OSV than the actual musical content...Just a guess. I wonder what the reception would be if it were something less well-known.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:11 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2008, 07:11 PM #10 of 15
Yeah, guess it definitely doesn't hurt that the source material is excellent. I love the album, but I love the game's music too. I thought the approach was really cool.

Anyway, it doesn't look like he's interested in a similar project, so oh well.

How ya doing, buddy?
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 01:32 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 01:32 AM #11 of 15
it's nice interview, kinda surprised me because scattering blossom is my favorite music in the OSV, and also, there is also a japanese vgm composer who could speak english

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 02:25 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 11:25 AM #12 of 15
it's nice interview, kinda surprised me because scattering blossom is my favorite music in the OSV, and also, there is also a japanese vgm composer who could speak english
Hah, awesome. "Scattering Blossoms" or "Twinkling" as I liked to call it is one of my favorite songs from the game as well. Sounded very much like Mitsuda with the choral pad chords. I kinda liked it better when I thought they were Mitsuda, and that they were "lost songs," but I guess it's good to know.

And yeah, Hibino was educated in the US and had a solo career as a jazz musician in Kansas, so he's good with the English.

Most amazing jew boots
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:28 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2008, 09:28 AM #13 of 15
Alright, so here's the surprise.

Yasunori Mitsuda Is Surprised

Hope you guys enjoy it! ;D

I was speaking idiomatically.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:21 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2008, 04:21 AM #14 of 15
Wha.... HUH

too good to be coincidence, but again, we never know.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 8, 2008, 02:36 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2008, 11:36 AM #15 of 15
Alright, so here's the surprise.

Yasunori Mitsuda Is Surprised

Hope you guys enjoy it! ;D
Rickrolling Yasunori Mitsuda. That's pretty great.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Yasunori Mitsuda Talks Chrono Trigger, Arrange Albums, and "Unreleased Tracks"