Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Your Relationship with your Parents

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 07:16 PM #101 of 130
Hoy, I think the old "the apple didn't fall too far from the tree" is the case here.

So, I am a gamer, like pro-wrestling and into electronics.

My parents played Atari before I was born and as I grew up, stopped, then were introduced to Mario on NES, in which they began to play games again, as much, IF NOT MORE, than me. Heck, what does it say when my mother come home one day with a gamecube after a few hard weeks...for her and my dad?!

My mother and father both enjoy watching pro-wrestling and will talk to me about it. THey started to really watch it around the time my bro and I did, and they have bought more wrestling DVD's and PPVs than me!

If there weren't enough, as I am currently not with my parents, my mom has taken up my trait to make weekly visits to Circuit City to see the newest deals. Now, SHE is the one telling ME about the latest deal she found, or newest technology she bought.

SPeaking of technology, my 'rents saw me get an iPod about two years back. They wondered why...in which my mom one day told me she got a shuffle. Later on, it was a Nano. Now it's a video, with my father and bro getting the pass-me-downs. Whose that walking down walmart listening to his iPod? Yep, my dad!

Personality wise, I am definitely a combination of them. My father's patience, with my mother's stubbornness.

As for my 'rents themselves, well, I can say they have loved me and taken very good care of me. They have worked hard and gone through a lot. They have given up a lot for me and my brother. I hope for myself, of all the above mentioned traits I have gotton from them, the last few I mentioned I will inherit the most.

How ya doing, buddy?
Digital_Divider
because bastard operators from hell get all the ladies.

Member 8324

Level 6.27

Jun 2006

Old May 20, 2007, 10:55 PM #102 of 130
my relation from my parents is a lot better today than it use to be. Since I've grown up I've grown up a lot more.

As to who I have a bias towards? My dad, definitely. Me and him butt heads sometimes but we act alike when it comes to a lot of things, especially building projects (SON OF A B*TCH!) and whatnot.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I am myself. You can't change me. I am who I am.
Water_Rain
Mmhmm

Member 14928

Level 4.94

Nov 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 11:27 PM #103 of 130
I wouldn't say I have an amazing relationship with my parents (or anyone in this family as a matter of fact..), but it isn't horrible. If by close you mean I tell them my feelings and thoughts, no, I am not close with them. I keep my distance from most people, and family just seems to coincide with that.

Surprisingly enough I feel as if I get along better with my father than my mother, and sadly, I think she realizes that too.

I'm sure I've grown away from them over the years, but that's to be expected, considering I'm still young and have "freedom" issues.

I resent them for keeping me locked away. For sheltering me. For pretending everything was fine when there were huge problems. For trying to keep me from making "their mistakes."

I'm sure as I grow up I'll value my family more then I do now, but until then.. this is it.

FELIPE NO
"Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless." - Leo Tolstoy
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 12:49 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 12:49 PM #104 of 130
I gave up trying to keep a relationship (even friendly) with my parents.

After my dad killed himself, I cut the last tie, and I don't see my mom or the rest of my family anymore.

I felt that it wasn't worth it. Not with what was going on in the family anyway.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.

Last edited by ^-^; Jun 6, 2007 at 12:12 PM.
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2007, 01:22 AM #105 of 130
My relationship with my parents is alright. My mom thinks my animu is the stuff of the devil, but other then that me and her are pretty close I think.

My dad on the other hand likes to remind me constantly that I am worthless. lol.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
doldrums
oopsie

Member 3855

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:05 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 01:05 AM #106 of 130
my relationship w/ them is alright i guess. my mom annoys me a lot sometimes and i hardly talk to my dad but when we do it's all good. i've never really had a huge arguement w/ my parents. if i get mad about something i just keep myself away from them and ignore them. unfortunately, my parents are the ones who are always arguing though. thats what i hate about them. Not ONE day goes by they don't argue and what gets to me most is that it's about the same thing every day! i think it's so stupid arguing the same thing for years. sometimes i wish they'd divorce already. i know they're my parents but as a person, i don't think anyone should go through life arguing w/ the same person.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:09 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 09:09 PM #107 of 130
My mom is a ball of paranoia, which causes alot of friction between her with me and my sis. Every little trivia matter is a crisis to her.

My dad and I used to be close when I was really little, now all he does is mock me at the dinner table like some overgrown big brother. He has no idea how to talk to young people.

My relationship to both goes up and down and up and down. Didn't help that I dropped out of college because I have no idea what I want to do and its wasting fees.

Critism and negativity from them stings, and mom knows how to emotinal black mail me. I wish parents will stop treating their kids like pets in a dog show. I'm a human being dammit, I don't get the immediate answer to what I wanna do as soon as I step out of high school!

Parents need to stop expecting perfection and focusing on letting us do what we want and do our very best in it. Raise us to be human, not gods.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:19 AM #108 of 130
Parents need to stop expecting perfection and focusing on letting us do what we want and do our very best in it. Raise us to be human, not gods.
Thank you.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:44 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 09:44 PM #109 of 130
A footnote after reading more posts on the thread. Being a parent doesn't mean your tastes and opinions are absolute. I wish more parents are more accepting to what we enjoy. Remember, Picasso was mocked back in the day and now, parents dragged us to artshows to see his stuff. I'm pretty sure video games and anime will be more respected as time goes on.

My dad thinks video games are silly, dumb, waste of time yada yada. Mom lets me play them but isn't fully supportive either. Bah. That's right, tell me your opinion on something you know NOTHING about.

Though funnily enough, they both enjoyed the Wii. My dad LOVED bowling.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kairi Li; Jun 6, 2007 at 12:48 AM.
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:48 AM #110 of 130
A footnote after reading more posts on the thread. Being a parent doesn't mean your tastes and opinions are absolute. I wish more parents are more accepting to what we enjoy. Remember, Picasso was mocked back in the day and now, parents dragged us to artshows to see his stuff. I'm pretty sure video games and anime will be more respected as time goes on.
Let me quote my mother for you:

"I will let you go to jacon, but I think anime is a sissy fag thing."

"All anime is about hermaphrodites and incest."

I don't know what anime she is watching. D:

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:52 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 09:52 PM #111 of 130
You would think with the creation of the internet people will research before making their dumb opinions won't they?

If she thinks they're all hermaphrodites, then let me ask one thing, has she MET any young Asian boys before making that lame assumption? Asian boys have slimmer builds and all. Or did she just assume that anime has this weird thing of making men looking more femine?

Parents =/= Gods who know everything. Stop using the pain you gone through in labor as some metaphor that you created all life and know everything.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kairi Li; Jun 6, 2007 at 12:54 AM.
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 01:01 AM #112 of 130
You would think with the creation of the internet people will research before making their dumb opinions won't they?

If she thinks they're all hermaphrodites, then let me ask one thing, has she MET any young Asian boys before making that lame assumption? Asian boys have slimmer builds and all. Or did she just assume that anime has this weird thing of making men looking more femine?

Parents =/= Gods who know everything. Stop using the pain you gone through in labor as some metaphor that you created all life and know everything.
Heh.

I think she honestly thinks the country of Japan is just a cesspool of perverted old men who like drawing odd things and making tv shows out of them.

It doesn't bother me much except when she does stuff like throw away the Death Note poster I won. I mean, my mother is a very kind, loving person, but she is a bit stubborn.

Then again I live in a family where my dad gives my girlfriend dirty looks because she is hispanic, and where my grandmother makes comments about my one of my friends stealing something because he is black.

Last edited by janus zeal; Jun 6, 2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: s/but/bit/g ;_;
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 01:06 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 10:06 PM #113 of 130
...Oh god I don't even wanna go there... Why can't people get with the times and stop being racist?!

janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 01:08 AM #114 of 130
...Oh god I don't even wanna go there... Why can't people get with the times and stop being racist?!
I wouldn't say my mom is racist so much, but yeah, I know.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:40 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 10:40 AM #115 of 130
Asian boys have slimmer builds and all.
Oh come on, there's plenty of fat Asian guys out there.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:26 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 08:26 PM #116 of 130
I meant muscles Racin. :P

How ya doing, buddy?

Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:00 AM #117 of 130
Well, I dont particularly like my relationship with them.

I never really had a dad in my life [since my parents divorced when I was a baby], and since then I've hardly seen him. He did try to get to know me during 2003, and he was telling my mom that he wanted to have a relationship with me. He sent me cards, called me every week, and I called him. It was really awesome to finally get to know him and what not. I finally visited him in spring of 2004, and when I did, it felt...cold. It didn't feel very much like family, but rather "Oh hello. Mister, i'm just a random kid". We went to NYC together, but it was just weird. After the trip, the phone calls became less and less. The letters stopped coming, and when I invited him to my High School graduation, he didn't come, but rather went on vacation with his other family [in the same city I lived in]. So...after that we stopped talking. I havent heard from him in 3 years.

My relationship with my Mom and I is wearing thin. We don't get along that much, and I feel like i'm being constantly put down by her, and always disappointing her, even when I try to be good and do the right thing. For instance, I could be home one day when she's working, and vacuum the house, clean the dishes and put them away, do my laundry and clean my room. But when she comes home, she'll point out one little thing that I missed or something she wanted done, and all that work I did is null and void because of it. When we argue, I might as well be arguing with a silly 14yrd online. She will not listen to what I have to say, and she will continue to not listen and overpower me with her voice. That will frustrate me, so in turn I start to raise my voice, and then she walks away, telling me I raised my voice first. She belittles my job, telling me I don't do shit there and I make puny hours, so therefore it's not a real job then. She'll never give me an ounce of encouragement or kindness, but rather gives me her grief, guilt and despair. It's wearing me out, and I really want to get out of this house. Unforunately, I have no way of doing that since, I don't make enough money to do that, and I don't have a car. Oh yes, and she tells me satan has a grip on me when I think differently about religion or when we have a heated argument, and the irony is...we have these arugments when she's watching her daily christian shows [Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, Joel Olsteen]. She gets very angry during these shows, and I suffer because of it.

Overall, I dont think I have a good relationship with them. I don't like either of them. It saddens me, and it makes me wish I had a normal family with a Mom, Dad and Brother/Sister who are always there to talk with, and feel loved by all of them, and love them all back. You know, the perfect nuclear family. But I guess that's all a fantasy from TV, books and movies. I wish I had it though.

Last edited by Karasu; Jun 22, 2007 at 05:09 AM.
My Dreams
Virtuosic Dreams ^_^

Member 1412

Level 21.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:16 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 11:16 AM #118 of 130
a little bit about mine

I have a problem with my parents. My Dad works 7 days a week so I don't see him much. The only time I do is when he fetches me to camp on Sunday nights. Sometimes he comes back from work early and we get to eat dinner together.

When I talk with Mom, I feel that she seldom really listens. I get the impression that she doesn't really care about me. Sure, she gives me regular text messages and tries to talk to me after work but I only get the feeling that she's doing it because she's obliged to do so. Normally when we talk after she comes back from work, both of us are tired and we end up quarreling. Even when we go out on her off day she can't seem to understand what I'm talking about. Just the other day we went out to a Yamaha showroom to look at Digital Pianos. I showed her a particular piece which I had been considering buying for about a month and told her that I need the Digital Keyboard because I have to practise piano from Monday to Friday (when I'm not home) and that the old piano I have at home is terribly out of tune and rather beyond repair. I told her that I was going to pay for it with my own money but she gave a myriad of reasons as to why I should not buy it, all of which I found really unreasonably and grossly unfair to me.

Somehow I just don't feel that either of us can get along.

ChocoJournal
The Link to the Chocojournal works now!
Transcriptions A new thread for transcriptions of all sorts.

"The man had a huge head. Like a pumpkin, really." - Godowskian on Shura Cherkassky
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:47 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 12:47 PM #119 of 130
I kinda suffer from some sort of Marks-presenting phobia too.

I'm usually an excellent student, at least when I was much younger, so my parents had high expectations of me all this while, so whenever I get things along the 50s-70s for a subject where 80% failed (aka below 50), I still get freaking scared.

My mom is the main cause of this. She's prone to bursts of rage that leads me in being grounded and barred from using the computer (btw, which is in the hall). Kinda miserable, eh? I don't have a com in my room, but I guess that's a petty thing to get pissed over.

It's just the burst of rages over petty issues, that my mom does that gets me quite riled up. So I'm really hoping to get my own home someday and move out of this temperamental household.

FELIPE NO
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:13 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 01:13 PM #120 of 130
I get along with my parents well enough, I guess. No huge blow-ups every other day like some people I know, but we're not exactly a family that gets along all that well either. We're... "alright", I guess.

My dad's quite prone to raising his voice over petty things, which is the biggest problem I have with him. Thing is, the more I tell myself I dislike the way he acts, the more I realize that I have more things in common with him than I'd like to admit. Particularly, being slightly short-tempered as well as raising our voices far too often over trivial stuff. His fondess of using the horn while driving really irritates me though, for reasons I'm not too sure of.

I've never really had serious, heart-to-heart conversations with either of them, and I probably won't do so anytime soon.

Black Jade Rose
Is the world right the way it is?

Member 7543

Level 1.73

May 2006

Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:01 PM #121 of 130
I must say that at the moment I hate my parents. I have not always hated my parents but lately things have changed. When I was young I followed their guidence and now that I have traveled the world I see them in a different light. I see them as people who follow what they have been taught and fail to question the reasons why they live. I see them as scared of change and unwilling to except the different types of life
styles.
The reasons why I hate my parents are that while I was off traveling in europe they decieded to move to another city far far away from my present home. This is by the way my last year of high school. A year I would rather spend with people I have known for the past 5 years. When I was still on my travels it was told to me that I would have a week to find a place to live once I returned. I desperately tried to find living arangments, but there is only so much you can do with e-mail. I returned and still having no place to stay started looking for a home. Also when I returned home I found my stuff boxed up in the basement with many things missing and my room being lived in by my brother. With only one week left to find a place I searched but no one can give the ok to live with them in a week. Everyone needs forever. I am out of time, I am tired, I am homeless, I hate my parents.

Revolutionary
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:26 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2007, 06:26 AM #122 of 130
This thread is kinda depressing... Human's aren't perfect, but can't they at least try to prepare themselves before having a kid, and do their best to care for them when you have them?

If you want some mini me clone to do your bidding the way you want it, tough luck. If you expect your kid to move out in a week without an advance notice, that you're a moron who doesn't know how the world works, or you're simpley heartless.

Did any of these parents from the above posts even think TWICE before having a kid? Marriage is a big step, but at least its 2 people who should know how to care for themselves indepently. Having a kid means a human being thats gonna depend on you completly for 18 years. Its a huge commitment and responsibility that you can't easily get out of and be forgiven.

Why is parenthood getting more fucked up by the minute?

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:46 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2007, 08:46 AM #123 of 130
Yeah, we really should go back to a time where kids were lashed with the cane for speaking out of turn at the dinner table.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:19 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2007, 04:19 PM #124 of 130
Well the physical violence has been toned down from the past, but it seems like the sane mentality of parents is spiraling downward to me from all these stories... I mean it kinda scares alot of people from having kids of their own cause of their parents or other parents. It makes me wonder if I would change if I decided to have kids...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:36 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 03:36 PM #125 of 130
Imagine for a moment that the world you live in has been changing faster than you have been able to keep up with; you're middle-aged now, and it's been progressing at this pace since you were almost an infant.

You have children, who are in high school/ready for college.

For most of their lives you've been bewildered by the pace at which their world changes, which is exponential compared to what you grew up with. When you were in school, you weren't worried about gun-violence, over-populated school districts or many of the changing social pressures of today.

How well do you think you'd be able to relate to your children?

Posting without content since 2002.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Your Relationship with your Parents