Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Seirei no Moribito - Guardian of the Sacred Spirit

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:45 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 11:45 AM #1 of 33
Seirei no Moribito - Guardian of the Sacred Spirit

Synopsys: Balsa, a warrior who has done work as a bodyguard, was walking through the Yogo Empire when, while crossing a bridge, she sees a carriage carrying the young Prince of the Yogo Empire topple over and watched as the young Prince fell into the rushing waters below. Without a second thought, she leapt into the water hoping to save the Prince and after a few moments of searching frantically, she succeeded, aided by a mysterious power emanating from the Prince. Balsa then gets invited to the Palace by the Empress who tells a story of how the Emperor himself has sent assassins to kill the Prince. She then pleads with Balsa to take the Prince away from the castle and protect him with Balsa's life.

Impressions: The first reaction I had to this series was "HOLY SHIT! THE ANIMATION AND SCENERY ARE AWESOME!" The backgrounds were wonderfully drawn and the animators definitely didn't take any shortcuts when detailing Balsa's movement. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised since this is a Studio I.G. work combined with the Director who did Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but it's just really nice to see. Balsa reminds me a bit of Saya from Blood: The Last Vampire in the way she was drawn and animated.

From the character standpoint, Balsa is an interesting character because of her unusual status (a female warrior) and because of her past. While the series hasn't gone too much into it yet, Balsa is obviously someone with skeletons in her closet and has forced her down her chosen path. Despite these demons from her past, she is warm yet coldly calculating as she works through the problems presented to her on her journey. She also has enough foresight to see obstacles where others cannot. The Prince, despite being the reason for this journey, doesn't play a huge role, at least, not yet. He is pretty determined though and will do what it takes to help Balsa.

The plot seems to borrow a bit from Scrapped Princess except the scope is more on an Empire rather than the entire world with some "wandering warrior" sprinkled in for good measure. As with most "wandering warrior" type of series, it's the journey that's going to be the interesting part, especially when this show combines religious myths and political intrigue as obstacles that the characters must face. Through it all, there will be some ethical dilemmas to sort through. It's off to a pretty good start and I'm looking forwards to giving other episodes a go.

On a final note, Balsa is going to give Juliet a run for her money as both are serious contenders for the title of "Most Badass Female Protagonist" for this anime season. For that matter, this series is also going to be a serious contender for "Best Anime" released this season.

Links:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

How ya doing, buddy?
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Boo-kun
boo u

Member 311

Level 20.17

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:59 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 08:59 PM #2 of 33
Not much of a poster these days, but here I'll make a exception.

Seirei no Moribito was really a suprise. Not only does it look and sound good, it has that epic greatness feel to it. Only couple of eps in should confirm this to anyone.

Without too much babbling, I'll just say this is one of those series with nothing wrong in it. imo.
Recommended and recommending this to any and all otakus above narutards and wtflolElfenLied.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cobra
One day...

Member 1101

Level 7.89

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 04:07 PM #3 of 33
Hello

http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/sh...ghlight=seirei

My fav anime of 2007 without a doubt. Intensely well choregraphied action scenes, beautiful landscapes, gorgeous music, sexy/tough heroin (motoko style) and a solid story.

Clap clap.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 04:39 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 02:39 PM #4 of 33
I fail at using the search function

Kenji Kawai's work on the soundtrack is pretty solid this time around too. I was disappointed with what he'd done on Fate/Stay Night and Higurashi, but now, it looks like he's got his groove back.

Episode 3 also features some of the most awesome sword on spear and spear on spear action ever. The storyline is most certainly epic and I'm looking to see how the court intrigue begins to pan out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: at this stage of the game, Seirei no Moribito is the clear stand-out show for this anime season.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Cobra
One day...

Member 1101

Level 7.89

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 07:36 PM #5 of 33
Just saw episodes 04-05 and still love it. Although those were slow paced episodes, it feels like sipping a good cup of tea. And the shaman is funny, looks like none of the secondhand characters are left behind. Btw, every frame including clouds is a piece of art.

Just look at this :

This is a high budget anime and we can see the animators love their work.

Can't wait to see the next episode, action will be back.

I was speaking idiomatically.
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 09:03 PM Local time: May 14, 2007, 10:03 AM #6 of 33
Wow, thanks zzeroparticle for starting the thread. You are always one step in ahead of me at creating such amazing threads

Anyway just to say that I love this anime. Haven't seen a better quality anime since the completion of Samurai 7. Now given Seirei as my weekly anime dosage, I am satisfied again! In total of 26 episodes planned.

I can bet that Kenji Kamiyama will make this anime into a movie too, as what he did with Ghost in a Shell Then that would be something to look forward to!

Information Websites:
Official Japanese Website
Seirei no Moribito on AniDB.net
Seirei no Moribito on ANN

Most amazing jew boots
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:02 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2007, 01:02 AM #7 of 33
Crap! A late starter to this awesome series!! Despite some very good opinions on this show I had never really bothered to sit down and watch this series properly. It wasn't a few days ago that someone told me that I should definitely check it out, simply because the visuals were breathtaking, the story was intriguing, and the action sequences would simply blow my mind.

Episode 3's battle between Balsa and the four hunters was Wowzers!! Despite the overwhelming odds she kicked ass!!

This I felt!
Spoiler:
......she deliberately takes a hit......

.....so she can do this!!

Man, that had to have hurt.....

Now I got a lot of catching up to do!!

FELIPE NO
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
The Big Cheese
Big Man

Member 23533

Level 1.10

Jul 2007

Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:17 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 11:17 AM #8 of 33
@hikarub

The show gets amazingly slow for a run of episodes. There is little action up until episode 14 when the pace finally starts to pick.

So far, this is one of the best anime I have seen yet this year. The character building is fantastic as we actually get to know all of the big players. Episodes 14 and 15 show a lot of potential as some people may not seem who you think they are. My only complaint is that hopefully the action will be able to pick up to the level of the first three episodes.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:37 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 10:37 AM #9 of 33
While things do slow down a bit, the way the characters are explored is exceptionally well-done, especially in the way they go into the characters at the Yogo Emperor's court and (later on) with the shaman. This series definitely doesn't fall into the action spectrum of high-fantasy anime series; look instead for just an epic, beautiful atmosphere with a great cast that departs from the clear black and white of good versus evil, but rather into the shades of gray. Most characters you'll find you care a lot about, no matter which side of the struggle they're on.

So far, this series has been firmly entrenched as the best anime series released during the Spring 2007 year, and for that matter, this year so far, and that holds true even when I'm watching stuff like Claymore, Hayate, and Lucky Star.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:44 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2007, 09:44 AM #10 of 33
Can anyone explain what happens in episode 13? Again, an awesome battle and Balsa's skill with the spear is absolutely amazing, however....
Spoiler:
....what was with the end? You see clearly that Balsa slashed that guy's chest in the battle's climax but instead of being dead, he gets up and his clothes aren't even torn. Albeit confused and suffering some sort of amnesia, he seems perfectly fine. Even Balsa thought she had killed him until she was told he wasn't dead. What was that....or is this something that will only be answered later on? It's hard to imagine or guess how this would be possible.....

Episodes 14 and 15 are starting to the shove the story forward again. Looking forward to how it plays out.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Big Cheese
Big Man

Member 23533

Level 1.10

Jul 2007

Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:46 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 10:46 PM #11 of 33
Can anyone explain what happens in episode 13? Again, an awesome battle and Balsa's skill with the spear is absolutely amazing, however....
Spoiler:
....what was with the end? You see clearly that Balsa slashed that guy's chest in the battle's climax but instead of being dead, he gets up and his clothes aren't even torn. Albeit confused and suffering some sort of amnesia, he seems perfectly fine. Even Balsa thought she had killed him until she was told he wasn't dead. What was that....or is this something that will only be answered later on? It's hard to imagine or guess how this would be possible.....

Episodes 14 and 15 are starting to the shove the story forward again. Looking forward to how it plays out.

I was a bit confused as well. The only way it makes sense to me is that Balsa was so deep in her fury she imagined the entire thing and her aura was somehow powerful enough to scare the shit out of the guy. Or, maybe I'm just an idiot.

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:38 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 10:38 PM #12 of 33
I was a bit confused as well. The only way it makes sense to me is that Balsa was so deep in her fury she imagined the entire thing and her aura was somehow powerful enough to scare the shit out of the guy. Or, maybe I'm just an idiot.
Maybe you should rewatch that scene in which Balsa talks to the blacksmith. All of the clues are right there methinks.

How ya doing, buddy?
Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:47 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2007, 10:47 PM #13 of 33
Man, what a great series. Isn't this from the guy that directed Ghost in the Shell 1st and 2nd Gig?

There is great character interaction here, but I still have some reservations about the story. Since the series is picking up pace I'm guessing some big secrets will be revealed soon. I really want to see some more battling as well as since nothing has reached the level of the third episode yet.

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:10 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2007, 06:10 PM #14 of 33
Just saw episode 17 a short while ago. Looks like another long journey awaits our heroes as they head towards a new destination. The story is moving along and it looks like there will be some revelations coming in the next episode. Tohya proves himself here too, and that guy Zen seems awfully benevolent for some reason....

A question:
Spoiler:
....so the reasons are known and the hunters' mission is to bring back the prince to the court. This I understand, but what I don't understand is why Balsa is still targeted to be killed? They specifically say in episode 16 that they're going to "finish her off". What gives?

Shuga's words to Balsa in this episode seem to contradict this though, saying she will be rewarded for protecting the prince for so long. But the overall feeling I get is that they're going to kill her no matter what. WTF?!

Awesome series!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:05 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2007, 11:05 PM #15 of 33
Agreed with the sentiments expressed in the spoilered section. Personally, I think it was for a want of some conflict that they arranged it that way. Gotta please some of the viewers who are out there looking for the well-choreographed action scenes.

But yeah, Tohya definitely came out on top in episode 17. There's something to be said about a side character who manages to pull through and make a big difference in a huge way. I do hope to see more moments like that, especially now that the journey has finally resumed.

The previews for episode 18 look pretty good and I'm looking forwards to that once it gets subbed.

FELIPE NO
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 04:39 AM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 05:39 PM #16 of 33
Episode 18 - 20 finally reveals to Chagum his fate. The story is going along smoothly and I'm really looking forward to the coming episodes. The eagerly awaited confrontation between our heroes and the court has finally taken place and though it wasn't what I was expecting, it did turn out well. The parent-child relationship between Balsa and Chagum also develops a bit.

Looks like episode 21 begins a flashback as we finally learn Balsa's past and introduces us to a man we've been longing to hear about since nearly the very beginning: Jiguro.

How ya doing, buddy?
wilflare
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5218

Level 2.62

Apr 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:23 PM Local time: Oct 7, 2007, 11:23 AM #17 of 33
quite surprised at how the discussion went quiet here!
anyone at EP24 now? guess the story is hitting the climax soon.
need to figure the spoiler tags oO

eh. anyone thinks Chagum looks a little Jiguro? haha!

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:29 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2007, 01:29 AM #18 of 33
Ooh, so Tanda can kick ass once in a while too!! Nice job of him figuring out....
Spoiler:
....how to be able to fight the lunga, though it looks like he might be left behind due to his injury. I anticipate that Balsa and the 8 warriors are gonna have to move on without him. At least now they have a fighting chance of protecting Chagum.

So what will the future hold for Balsa,Tanda and Chagum? Heh, I wonder what this "dream" of Balsa's is.....?

On a side note, I remember someone posting a link to a translated manga version of this story, but now I can't find it any where. Have any other chapters been released?

Just 2 more episodes to go. Looking forward to the end big fight. Balsa will find a way.

Most amazing jew boots
wilflare
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5218

Level 2.62

Apr 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 02:37 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2007, 03:37 PM #19 of 33
pretty appalling how this series has such a small following.
but Balsa does indeed kickass. and sure looks like a loving mother/onee-chan!

hmm. anyone think that there may not be a happy ending.
but the plot seems to gear towards a happy one so far...

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 02:07 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 03:07 PM #20 of 33
Methinks....
Spoiler:
....she will save him, and her magic spear (see episode 13) will no doubt be responsible for the miracle!! At least that's what I'm hoping....

Besides, the novels continue her exploits and travels so I'm pretty sure Balsa doesn't die here. As for Chagum, I'm not 100% sure, but I would like him to live.

However, (if he survives) his wanting to stay with Balsa and Tanda may only be a dream. He is the Crown Prince after all. He has to return to the palace no matter what.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Marina
Bear-ri-con

Member 13607

Level 8.62

Oct 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:51 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 07:51 PM #21 of 33
Is it relate to 12 Kingdoms?
I think it share the same art and "Yoko Empire" is the name of the empire that Yoko is the emperess in the end of 12 kingdoms,isn't it?

Sorry for being an idiot in GRAMMAR.
I don't use English as my first language.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:34 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 11:34 AM #22 of 33
Is it relate to 12 Kingdoms?
I think it share the same art and "Yoko Empire" is the name of the empire that Yoko is the emperess in the end of 12 kingdoms,isn't it?
No, sorry. It's the "Yogo" Empire, and is not related to Juuni Kokki.

As for the just released episode 25:
Spoiler:
Not quite the ending I had expected. Was hoping for a little more pizazz?

So the Lunga have been kept at bay thanks to the combined efforts of Balsa and the 8 warriors. Though cornered at the place of celebration, they managed to hold out til the morning sun reached them. I was kind'a expecting some casualties among the 8 but it seems they're pretty strong too (though Balsa saved a couple from becoming Lunga munchies). Tanda and Torogai suddenly have the answer to removing the egg (how did they come up with that, from Shuuga?!) and a flock of Nahjii suddenly appear. Balsa throws the egg high in the air and one of the birds takes it away. Happy happy.

Except this is the second to last episode. The last episode supposedly sees Chagum return to the Palace as the new Crown Prince. How will the show end? What will become of Balsa and Chagum's relationship now that her obligations have been fulfilled? The next episode is entitled "Departure" and seems to signify that Balsa will leave on a journey (the second novel describes her return to Kanbal to try and clear the names of Jiguro and the 8 warriors sent after him). I except it will be a sad parting for chagum and her.

Hoping episode 26 will be out soon.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 02:21 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 12:21 AM #23 of 33
Plot-wise, everything went more or less what I expected even if there was nothing too surprising. All of the character development along the way was absolutely fantastic and I particularly enjoyed how all of the characters played a role and were useful all the way up into the end. The planning behind the series's script was really well done in the that the characters were given ample time to develop and rise up to the role in which they were destined to fulfill. Unlike other series *cough*Bokurano*cough* where the villainy takes a direction as to render the plot somewhat unbelievable, Seirei no Moribito shows how it should be done: that is, villains can exist, but they should also be shown as being human and take actions that make sense other than being evil for the sake of being evil. The way in which this show handles the early conflicts between the Court and Balsa is a refreshing change.

Looking forwards to the ending for sure. This series will definitely go up there as one of the better fantasy anime series out there due in no small part to its stellar animation, epic plot, and excellent character development.

FELIPE NO
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2007, 04:30 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2007, 05:30 PM #24 of 33
Well, episode 26 has finally been released.

Sonuvabitch!
Spoiler:
...so despite all that happened, Balsa was still targeted for assasination. Apparently, it was an order by the Emperor, to have Balsa eliminated as soon as everything was sorted out. Can't believe that Shuga was actually gonna carry it out before he was stopped by Mon and Jin.....

Otherwise, it was pretty much what I expected. Chagum returns to the palace and he and Balsa part ways. His return to the cold stark reality of Palace life must have been a small shock even to him, compared to the relative freedom he enjoyed outside. I was a little disappointed that Balsa and the second Empress never got to speak to each other again. At least we had an emotional parting between Chagum and Balsa, we got to see Tohya and Saya again, and (as I suspected) Balsa left on a journey back to Kanbal to put Jiguro to rest.

An awesome show, and a shame it most likely won't be continued into another season. Now that Scholastic have the rights to the novels, I might consider reading them when they are released. I've heard there are a number of differences in some parts, yet much more details regarding the customs and topography found in the story.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:52 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2007, 10:52 PM #25 of 33
I think this series was very well done in most every aspect I can think of. Each episode was strong enough to stand on its own and contribute much to the development of the characters and plot. Considering that the events covered in the series are of the first novel, I am interested in what transpires during the remaining nine.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Seirei no Moribito - Guardian of the Sacred Spirit