Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Selective Service System
Closed Thread

RPG Maker
Lost Dreamer

Member 342

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:24 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 03:24 PM #1 of 10
Selective Service System

"The Selective Service System is the means by which the United States administers military conscription. It entails registering all men between the ages of 18 and 25 with the system for the purpose of having information available about potential soldiers in the event of war."

Well I'm turning 18 in February and I just want to be clear on one thing. I was wondering, do I have to register? I'm unsure because I was born in Canada and and my family moved to the US. And so I have a Green Card and my parents say I still have my Canadian Citizenship (or as I was told...). So does this make me exempt from having to registering? I just thought its best to understand this more. I'm justa confused Canadian living in the US @_@

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Koneko
Procrastinating Artist Extraordinaire

Member 1046

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:27 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 01:27 PM #2 of 10
I think by living in the US that you HAVE TO register for the draft. Course, if you don't I think you get a letter or a call asking you why you haven't... I forget the details but there was a case of mistaken identity between my husband and his uncle (they share the same first and last names). There might be some sort of number you can look up and call to get a definate answer.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"
Maico
─ ─╘Don't rob me of my ─ ─ hate: It's all I have.

Member 4527

Level 17.53

Apr 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:50 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 01:50 PM #3 of 10
If you're thinking about going to college and applying for federal financial aid, they won't give you any money if you do not register with the S³ (if you qualify to get any money from them anyway). That's the only thing I know offhand, but I know plenty of people who have not registered with the S³ and nothing bad has happened. I'd reckon there isn't much need for the S³ now though, since there are a lot of people who are willing to be soldiers. This would also be true if the United States would mind its own damn business and stop meddling into other countries' affairs. I guess the S³ is like a fallback plan in case the United States pisses off every country on Earth and they decide to come gangbang us and they need all the males in the countries to come fight their war for them.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Selective Service System

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:40 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 02:40 PM #4 of 10
Originally Posted by Maico
If you're thinking about going to college and applying for federal financial aid, they won't give you any money if you do not register with the S³ (if you qualify to get any money from them anyway). That's the only thing I know offhand, but I know plenty of people who have not registered with the S³ and nothing bad has happened. I'd reckon there isn't much need for the S³ now though, since there are a lot of people who are willing to be soldiers. This would also be true if the United States would mind its own damn business and stop meddling into other countries' affairs. I guess the S³ is like a fallback plan in case the United States pisses off every country on Earth and they decide to come gangbang us and they need all the males in the countries to come fight their war for them.

The Selective Service System was administered after the Vietnam war in response to eliminating the draft. The Selective Service System is technically a draft however it has never been enacted for combat since the American army is all volunteer.

There was in fact, during the last election of 2004, some fears of the Selected Service Act being activated because of the Iraq War and because various military branches were not meeting their voluntary requirements.

In answer to RPG Maker's question, the Selective Service Act is for US citizens, however according to Wikipedia, some illegals could be forced to register, however the requirements for doing so was not spelled out.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2006, 12:05 AM #5 of 10
If you're going to live in the US, and plan on attending a US school, chances are good you'll have to register. You get in some big trouble if you don't register by your 26th birthday (so they give you a lot of leeway), and failing to register means you will never qualify for government aid (whether it's a loan or financial aid for school, for example).

I'd say just do it and get it over with. It's not a big boogey-man monster that's going to be creeping up on you, and you can always find a way to get out of joining the military (but you better have a good excuse and stick with it, such as being against any kind of conflict for moral/religious reasons, not just cause you don't agree with the politics surrounding the current conflict).

If you're still not convinced and are paranoid about it, just call a Veteran's Affairs office in the US. They should be able to tell you what you need to know and do.

I think males that live in countries where they're not a US state but under a US protectorate also have to register (such as those living in Guam or Puerto Rico). Sure you don't pay US taxes, but they can draft your booty too if you live there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Giro0001
Custom User Title

Member 677

Level 14.10

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 07:42 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 05:42 AM #6 of 10
Just register and if they ever decide to start up the draft all you need to do is decide to go back to Canada, your home country.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:28 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 01:28 PM #7 of 10
If you register to vote, or apply for government aid, they have your information, and will try to get you to sign on. Jury duty also works the same way.

One way to evade is to change your address more than two times per year. It may sound pretty monotinous, but I got out of penalties for court dates, because they couldn't find me or my "correct" address.

Most amazing jew boots
"I can make a scalpel sing, but that is my gift. The gift is not in my hands, for you see, I can play the notes [on a piano], but I can't make music."

~ Major Charles Emerson Winchester III
4077 M*A*S*H
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 02:40 PM #8 of 10
Well since I don't get shit for financial aid from the government based on my parents income (which basically says sup, you won't be able to afford school until you're 25), can I un-register for the selective service? I see no reason to be signed up for a pseudo-draft since there are pretty much no benefits from it for me.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 03:17 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 03:17 PM #9 of 10
Their is no way to "unregister", but you can move to the Netherlands. They will grant you sanction from the U.S. government. Their is another place to go, but I have friends in the Netherlands.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"I can make a scalpel sing, but that is my gift. The gift is not in my hands, for you see, I can play the notes [on a piano], but I can't make music."

~ Major Charles Emerson Winchester III
4077 M*A*S*H
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 04:00 PM #10 of 10
That's corny as hell. I guess if I have to join the military I'll just be excessively flamboyant and get kicked out.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Selective Service System