Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Boycott SimCity 5 (Societys)

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:09 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2007, 04:09 AM #26 of 33
Yeah, what we need are fewer games with original design and more with marginal improvements!
Well, no need to fix what ain't broke. Of course, one could also argue that once you've got the core gameplay pretty well refined to a T, there's not really a need to make any more games; you can just stick with the last, perfected entry.

It's kind of an ugly balancing act for developers. People clamor for a sequel because they want new and shiny and novel, but there's only so much marginal refinement you can do to a game before it becomes redundant. Conversely, monkey around with the core game TOO much and then everyone complains that it's not the same game anymore.

I guess the question is whether Sim City has reached the point of diminishing returns. Judging from people's reactions to Sim City 4, the answer is probably no. Thus the complaining.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 06:28 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2007, 07:28 PM #27 of 33
Now that statement is just a joke. While I can concede that people may not think that it was the best (since we all know SimCity 3000 was pure awesome on a Compact Disc,) to say it sucked just means you know shit.

In before "it was too hard"
If anything, I found SimCity 4 the easiest. Easier than 3000 which was easier than the unceramoniously exploding powerplants and ridiculous bond repayments of 2000

Worthy critisims fo SimCity4 are that the game was broken shipped, and while Rush Hour fixed it, it broke OTHER THINGS like making you be able to get money on a whim with the missions. The NetworkAddon mod made everythign much more awesome though.

Originally Posted by Some Norse Character with a Xenosaga avatar
Which is retarded in my opinion since you are effectively gutting the game of its core gameplay, yet you think you are going to appeal to 'avid' SC fans? yeah right...
True. I saw the statement as more "This gme was some otehr crap invovling towns but then we figured taht SimCity fags like RABicle will buy it if we put SimCity in the name."

Originally Posted by Guru
Still waiting for my sequel to SimTower.
You got that.
YootTower.
Yoot Saito left Maxis and developed it himself witha new developer and publisher. He was obviously so proud he named it afterhimself. It was released in like, I dunno the 90s. I hear it's EVEN HARDER.

But yeah, I'm still COMPLETELY HEARTBROKEN over this. I mean, Maxis are making motherfucking spore. Youc an't tell me that parts of that engine couldn't be modified to create a new, SimCity game that we're all dreaming of.

And I just feel that Maxis and the SimCity brand deserve better. I mena, Maxis have probably made more money for EA than ANY OTHER DEVELOPER they own. The obscene profits The Sims generates would fucking outstrip Madden surely. SimCity was the game taht made Maxis and clearly the game Will Wright holds most dear. And now some fucking startup with only a mediocre Rome themed SimCity clone to their name gets the franchise.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:22 AM #28 of 33
The NetworkAddon mod made everythign much more awesome though.
YES, the NetworkAddon mod is the one mod EVERYONE should get for SimCity 4 Rush Hour. I've never messed around with the intricate details of the mod, but what it does in general is absolutely awesome.

Quote:
I mean, Maxis are making motherfucking spore.
In other news, if Spore doesn't damn near blow my socks off, I will be disappointed.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Little Shithead; Jun 9, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:52 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2007, 09:52 AM #29 of 33
One of my friends and I are betting Spore comes out with Duke Nukem Forever.

You're quite right, Sim City Societies may just turn out great. As that Kotaku article said they're getting rid of pipes, which in my opinion is going to be great, even though they've been in the game for a while now. But on the same note if you're going to totally revamp the gameplay why not just give it a new name? In keeping with the whole Final Fantasy metaphor (and sorry about my add-on's quality), FF Crystal Chronices bore the Final Fantasy name yet it didn't play like any other FF before it. To some FF fans Crystal Chronicles didn't really fit the FF title due to its drastic gameplay changes. However CC had its own merits and could've been just as well being a title free of the Final Fantasy name.
Crystal Chronicles was similar in gameplay to Final Fantasy Adventure.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:30 PM #30 of 33
One of my friends and I are betting Spore comes out with Duke Nukem Forever.
The difference being that Spore has a far greater likelihood of being released in the next year than Duke Nukem Forever ever will.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:49 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2007, 01:49 PM #31 of 33
Is rapidly approaching zero really that much better than zero?

FELIPE NO
aviness
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 22643

Level 3.20

Jun 2007

Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:53 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2007, 12:53 PM #32 of 33
YES, the NetworkAddon mod is the one mod EVERYONE should get for SimCity 4 Rush Hour. I've never messed around with the intricate details of the mod, but what it does in general is absolutely awesome.
I do agree, if you download mods and bats from other sites, Sim City 4 just becomes too awesome. Besides the whole region thing, i think, kinda took off.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:00 AM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 11:00 PM #33 of 33
The only problem with the Network Addon Mod is that like, well they've released a new version in the past fortnight or so. Can I really be bothered installing it again (no installer for mac) and then openign and closing each of my cities to let it take effect? Cos really, that's a lot of shit to do for what? Marginaly better performance?

If however someone can confirm for me that they fixed (or at least changed) monorails then I'll make teh effort.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Boycott SimCity 5 (Societys)