Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Arcade] In Soviet Russia, video game plays you

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:43 AM #1 of 4
In Soviet Russia, video game plays you

Wired.com published a fascinating article today about a group of guys in Moscow who are restoring Soviet-era arcade games. There's a gallery of pictures, mostly of the machines themselves, although there are a few shots of the games:

A creepy game of pool:

Russian Zelda:

I found one line of the article particularly amusing:

Quote:
One common feature among them all is a lack of a high-score list. "That kind of competition wasn't encouraged," explains Alexander Stakhanov, one of the museum's founders and engineers. "If you got enough points you won a free game, but there was no 'high score' culture as in the West."
Does anyone else have tales of unique arcade games that are only found in their home country (besides Japan of course)?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:23 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 11:23 AM #2 of 4
I saw these too. It'd be great to play some of these on an emulator. Games in other cultures fascinate me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 01:00 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 12:00 PM #3 of 4
Lol, Canada has no video game legacy. Anything we've ever had came up first in the states. Hell, arcades don't even exist here anymore. I remember the ones i used to go to would have you pay for a certain amount of time up front, then you could go nuts, as long as you didn't run out of time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:31 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2007, 08:31 PM #4 of 4
Haha wow, thanks for the link. This is neat stuff.

Move over Daytona USA!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Arcade] In Soviet Russia, video game plays you