Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The "true" meaning of Christmas

Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:57 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 10:57 AM #1 of 25
The "true" meaning of Christmas

Everyone hears this during the holiday season, in songs and spoken word, newspaper articles, everywhere: "the TRUE meaning of Christmas is (family/giving/Jesus/wassail/snow/etc)" but I'm curious to know what Christmas really means to everyone here. And of course if you don't celebrate Christmas, feel free to share your thoughts on whatever holiday(s) you celebrate around this time of year.
Also, share what this day would ideally be like for you, under the given meaning.

Example: To me, Christmas has always been very stressful. It lost its magic right around when I was about 11 or 12 years old, and has sort of become a drudgery ever since then. Must buy gifts, must go caroling in the freezing cold, must make time for people you don't wanna make time for, etc. I've always enjoyed giving to others, but not when I feel it's required. I still enjoy picking out gifts for people, don't get me wrong, but it's still a chore. I no longer even vaguely wonder what I'm going to receive for Christmas. Clearly both the giving and the getting has little importance to me anymore.
However, since moving away from home a couple of years ago, and seeing my family only rarely, the holiday season has become centered around family. Friends too, since they're the family you choose, but mostly just ... family.

This took on ideal form last Christmas. I'd helped my parents with some of the gift-buying and stocking-stuffing, since my family's always been fairly tight on money, and Christmas at my house usually involved a highly-decorated tree with very few presents beneath it. Just deciding on the spur-of-the-moment that I would spend the night there at the house, I stayed up with them until about 3 or 4 AM wrapping the last of the presents that would seem to the little kids like Santa brought them in the middle of the night, then went to bed, and awoke a couple of hours later before any of the kids. Then I just sat and watched them all getting extremely excited over the contents of their stockings, sharing their excitement with the other kids, and directing groggy but excited and enchanted grins at my parents. For the first time in 8 years, I felt BONDED to my family. It was a good feeling. And it embodied everything positive I had ever felt about Christmas.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:28 PM #2 of 25
To tell you the truth, working in retail killed the holiday spirit that was in me since I was a kid. Ever since I worked at my first grocery store where I had to listen to Rudolph and Sleigh Ride 500 times a day I stopped caring about the holidays and get more headaches than usual during this time of the year.

What made the Christmas season even worse was working at Wal-Mart for two years. THAT WAS HELL, especially because the store I worked at had such high sales numbers. I can remember one Black Friday their sales revenue was over $750,000. It was nuts. No parking, not that I even wanted to park anywhere, and everyone inside was an ass to everyone else. And I worked in the grocery area. Thankfully I didn't have to go near Electronics or Toys.

But to me, Christmas was always more about family than it was about Jesus. I'm Catholic, but I don't practice too much. I just can't stand going to church, even during Christmas time. It's not that I don't believe in my religion, it's just that I think church is a waste of time, especially when the nearest one likes to mention how they're boycotting tomatoes because Taco Bell won't pay the farmers more. Yes, that was awhile ago. And yes, that was the last time I went to church.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 10:44 PM #3 of 25
These days, Christmas for me means its only 2 months until the next racing season for NASCAR and 4.5 months till the racing season at home. Christmas also signifies the end of the first term of school and a time to relax and visit with family and friends.

Most amazing jew boots
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:02 AM #4 of 25
Christmas is nothing more than the imaginary day of celebration for Christ's birth. Perhaps his birth on the 25th isn't imaginary, but the celebration part is. It's not supposed to be there. I don't believe in religion, unless you consider not believing in one to be a religion itself (then I'd have to not believe in any current religions that are heavily worshipped), and I don't think this holiday was designed for gift giving, caroling, ice skating, and other togetherness-like events to celebrate the day.

But what can I do about it? Nothing much. Unless I consider my own anti-movement to be a formidable force in changing the holiday. Hey, I don't mind the presents and such, but it is rather silly to see the subliminal influence at work.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:27 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 11:27 PM #5 of 25
Christmas honestly doesn't mean much to me, other than getting and giving presents and spending time at my grandma's. However I really love winter and the whole atmosphere around it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Starwars
Throatwobbler Mangrove

Member 1266

Level 8.18

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:38 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 10:38 PM #6 of 25
I'm not religious at all, but I'm still rather fond of Christmas.

I agree with Ayos about buying gifts. I also enjoy giving, and I get really happy if I manage to find a great gift for someone, but it *is* also a chore. Especially when you just have no idea what to get for someone.

But the thing I do love about Christmas is all the decorations and overall ambience. I'm silly like that, but I just like having a Christmas tree with the presents underneath it, 'christmasy' curtains, blablabla... I'm a sucker for those things.
That and being with the family.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:58 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 08:58 PM #7 of 25
Christmas is when family from across the country (usually) gets together, we eat far too much, give each other presents, watch really cheesy TV and have snowball fights. My dad, my brothers and my Aunt usually go to the Midnight Mass at the cathedral while the rest of us stay in drinking and playing games. It has no religious value to me whatsoever but I'm grateful for the chance it gives us to get together. Although I've noticed that Christmas seems to begin about a week earlier each year now... =/

Most amazing jew boots
FallDragon
Good Chocobo

Member 2657

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:21 PM Local time: Nov 25, 2006, 06:21 AM #8 of 25
Originally Posted by Mojougwe
Christmas is nothing more than the imaginary day of celebration for Christ's birth. Perhaps his birth on the 25th isn't imaginary, but the celebration part is. It's not supposed to be there. I don't believe in religion, unless you consider not believing in one to be a religion itself (then I'd have to not believe in any current religions that are heavily worshipped), and I don't think this holiday was designed for gift giving, caroling, ice skating, and other togetherness-like events to celebrate the day.
He wasn't born in December, since shepherds don't let their sheep graze during the winter. May have been when Mary and Joseph God got it on though.

Christmas for me has always had a large connection with presents. I could care less about the religious aspect of it. However, recieving and giving gifts is fun for me, and it does bond people together even if we're consumer whores. My grandpa is at this age where he tells everyone to give the money they would spend on a present for him to the red cross, claiming "I don't need anything anymore." Well guess what, he's missing the point. The point isn't to spend money on other people, the point is to show you care. I think he enjoys the feeling of self-sacrifice though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Adara
Simplicity

Member 108

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2006, 09:38 AM #9 of 25
Christmas has always been an even mixture of a family and religious holiday at my house. When I was a kid it was more about Santa and the presents, but now it has taken on a more religious meaning to me. Nowadays I don't care as much about the presents as having a chance to bond with my family and to think about the religious aspects of the holiday. Christmas also means that I get to cook to my heart's content and, since I love to cook, that makes Christmas even cooler.

I guess you could say that Christmas means a number of things to me: family, hope, love, and everything good all packed into a single holiday and the days leading up to it.

Pa2ad0x
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2304

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:57 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2006, 09:57 PM #10 of 25
I was never a religious person so Christmas doesn't hold anything particularly special to me...religiously anyways.

Now, PERSONALLY: I LOVE Christmas! Why shouldn't I? Tons of presents, beautiful lights everywhere, everyone is in a good mood! Other than the fact that it's cold, Christmas is absolutely awesome.

Just hanging out with the family and kickin it with the homies is a good enough reason to love Christmas.

Passione
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:56 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 09:56 AM #11 of 25
Christmas has this enormous feeling attached to it for me, and I work hard to keep that feeling going. While I immensely enjoy the religious aspect of the holiday, the whole season is fun for me. For starters, Christmas music is among my favorite, and ever since moving out of the house I've started listening around Halloween (after Thanksgiving was the rule in my house). I always hang a ton of Christmas lights around the apartment, try to get spice- or pine-scented stuff around the house, bake cookies just about every week, buy a lot of Christmas candy, and generally get excited about getting presents for people. There's something very fulfilling about getting just the right gift for someone you care about. Getting gifts is fun, I won't lie, but the joy of receiving is much more transitory for me. There's the initial hit of "Oh cool, something for me!" and the mass "Wow, I have a bunch of new stuff" that lasts for little while longer, but I get to be excited about the presents I give far before the holiday itself hits, and then if it was really good they'll remember later on, too.

The family aspect is awesome. I think I get to spend the most time with my family over Christmas, since summers are spent apart now. It's nice to be able to play around with my little brothers, help/watch them build stuff out of Legos or Knex or whatever they got, go play in the snow with them, etc. Staying up late talking to the 'rents and drinking hot cocoa is fun, too. It's all around a fantastic feel-good time for me. I am always looking forward to it, and I start early and end late to make it last as long as possible.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:53 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 02:23 PM #12 of 25
Christmas I think is a celebration of life

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
lia
zombie

Member 16095

Level 6.41

Nov 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:13 PM #13 of 25
I work retail. Christmas is a total hassle. Last year, we made enough in the store to buy a really, really big house. But I enjoy spending the time with my family and friends. I don't really get time off, being a student and having almost a full time job. Even a few days to spend with the family I never see for more than an hour a day, and the friend I only see a few times a year is enough for me.

How ya doing, buddy?

Grrrr. Arrgh.
Sig/Av by ScarletDeath.
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:14 AM #14 of 25
Christmas has always been about family and atmosphere. If I'm alone and not shopping for presents I usually try to AVOID listening to Christmas songs and paying attention to decorations--I much prefer the atmosphere to exclusively stay in front of my family. I've always preferred it that way.

lia
zombie

Member 16095

Level 6.41

Nov 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:34 AM #15 of 25
And something I forgot... be good to your retail slaves. It ruins their day when you're rude and demanding. No one in retail is getting paid enough to put up with your shit. If you can't go shopping without giving a store employee shit, then shop online. Think of it as your Christmas present to them. Hassle-free days don't come during the holidays, but to be called an idiot, have a load of books dumped on you and have a customer storm out because you don't have something but you politely offer to order it for them so it will arrive in a week is totally unacceptable.

If you're nice to your local retail slave during the holidays, you'll get better service than you would if you act like a total jerk. Then everyone's happy, and happy is good.

Most amazing jew boots

Grrrr. Arrgh.
Sig/Av by ScarletDeath.
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 01:47 AM Local time: Nov 29, 2006, 12:47 AM #16 of 25
The only time I'm ever rude to someone who's serving me in some way is if I feel like they've consciously slighted me, or if they're seriously in the wrong. Like the pizza I ordered taking over an hour and a half when they said it would be 30-45 minutes, and everything was on campus. Even then I'm only boldly questioning, not in-your-face irate. I find that a kind smile and a word of sincere thanks, if nothing else, makes me feel like I've accomplished something for someone. I suppose that's a piece of what Christmas is about.

lia
zombie

Member 16095

Level 6.41

Nov 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:02 AM #17 of 25
Yeah, it's just those customers that are flat out rude, especially when you've done everything in your power to help them. And you really just want to walk away, but that's rude. Then, there's not much you can do but take it or call a manager and pawn the problem off on them.

Grrrr. Arrgh.
Sig/Av by ScarletDeath.
ionuk tomb
Ionuk_Tomb

Member 13311

Level 8.35

Sep 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 03:28 AM Local time: Nov 29, 2006, 02:28 AM #18 of 25
To me, Christmas is just another area of 'freedom' on the calender. Free of all worries for a set period of time. Similar to the weekend, but multiplied in awesomeness because it generally cumulates into a period longer than a weekend. I don't even like saying Christmas....ugh...feels like a kid from 'Jesus Camp' just gave me a hug. I usually refer to it as 'the holidays'.

Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 04:05 AM Local time: Nov 29, 2006, 03:05 AM #19 of 25
Originally Posted by lia
be good to your retail slaves. It ruins their day when you're rude and demanding. No one in retail is getting paid enough to put up with your shit.
Again you say something the general public could have used a long time ago. I see similar things being passed around on the internet aimed more towards waitresses and waiters and not giving them so much crap, but this is really the first time I've seen anyone flat-out say "Be nice to the drones, they're trying to do their jobs!" It's kind of nice, even though I'm not in retail this year, I have been in years past, and I was pretty miserable through most of the holidays.

Which, now that I think about it, is probably why I don't have much attachment to giving or receiving gifts.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
lia
zombie

Member 16095

Level 6.41

Nov 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 04:18 AM #20 of 25
Originally Posted by Ayos
Again you say something the general public could have used a long time ago. I see similar things being passed around on the internet aimed more towards waitresses and waiters and not giving them so much crap, but this is really the first time I've seen anyone flat-out say "Be nice to the drones, they're trying to do their jobs!" It's kind of nice, even though I'm not in retail this year, I have been in years past, and I was pretty miserable through most of the holidays.
Well, it's the truth. We are trying to do our jobs. It's true that you can't please everyone, but no one should be forced to take whatever asshole customers dish out. I loathe holiday music. We're already playing it, store hours are extended, blah blah blah. I wouldn't say drones, as most of us lack the "worker bee" function. But you do have a point.

After all, waiters and waitresses get tips. Do we? That's a negative, captain. You shouldn't be nasty to the waitress, she might spit in your food. It's not really like that with someone working in a store. The worst we can do is "forget" to desensitive the anti-theft sensors on your books. Which, well, rewards you a trip back to the register and other customers looking at you like you stole something. It's the little things in life, really.

Grrrr. Arrgh.
Sig/Av by ScarletDeath.
Lost_solitude
stop stealing my "me time"

Member 2164

Level 13.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:06 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 01:06 PM #21 of 25
It is said "christmas is a pagan holiday and jesus probably hates you for celebrating it." Ofcourse anyone knowing anything about jesus knows that he still loved those who tortured him so he isn't going to hate you for that. Christmas was a pagan holiday back when it was something else. Somebody through tradition changed it into a holiday where loved ones reunite and give each other presents. Mean while tell children magical stories to keep their lives innocent and wanderful as possable. So I think it's all about having that spirit. I believe it's about love and giving. Call me what you want but damnit I love getting together with family to celebrate Xmas.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Lost_solitude; Dec 4, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Retriever II
Syklis Green

Member 4083

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 02:31 AM #22 of 25
Christmas is my first big break to just sit back and enjoy the surroundings since September. And I still love the atmosphere surrounding all of it, as I did when I was a kid. Sitting in the glow of the tree and candles on Christmas Eve, listening to Christmas music and watching the fire, and actually seeing the rest of the family at peace. And while getting presents are nice, I get a lot more out of giving lately. There's nothing quite like getting someone the right gift -- if you can find something suitable to begin with. This year I decided to actually pay attention to hints my family members would drop from time to time, such as my mother's frustration at Thanksgiving when she couldn't find any decent knives in the kitchen. So I feel better equipped this year and won't go through as much of the last minute stress I felt last year.

I actually have more resentment towards Christmas day itself, because that's when the whole illusion comes crashing back to the surface. My father in particular always gets really frustrated on every holiday or special ouccasion, and puts undue stress on everyone else. We've made some changes, like putting off gift unwrapping to the evening, and that's helped. Can't let a couple rough hours in the morning spoil the rest of the day

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:22 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 12:52 PM #23 of 25
Originally Posted by Mojougwe
Christmas is nothing more than the imaginary day of celebration for Christ's birth. Perhaps his birth on the 25th isn't imaginary, but the celebration part is.
True, seeing as no one really knows when Jesus was born.

As a Pagan I celebrate Yule, my holiday starts on the 21st. Yule is the celebration of the winter solitce, the birth of the sun god, and everlasting life. Most of the christmas traditions we have today came from Yule so both holidays are almost the same. Yule is bascially the old christmas, and the meanings are about the same too.

Giving gifts are fun, but today everyone is losing touch with real gift giving. Commercialism is getting out of hand, so I am hand making all the gifts I give out, I think it means more when you do that.

FELIPE NO
atiz
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3611

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:17 AM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 03:17 PM #24 of 25
I'm a free thinker, but I still like Christmas. True, it has become very commercialise - I hate the commercialized part but I love the meaning of giving and celebrating with my loved ones. when I give presents to my tuition kids, I really love seeing their little faces light up thanking you and hugging you. N then you tend to forget they are the little devils they are lol
I think the church at night has a rather peaceful atmosphere (some churches) and I like that presence, very serene.

Quote:
Maybe its the grown up syndrome. Or maybe we are getting more politically correct.
Whatever the case, the fact is that we become more untruthful to our own feelings as we aged.
We hid our emotions much effectively than before.
We become a mere social constrict.

When a smile is no longer a symbol of joy, it had evolved into a element of friendliness.
Dr. Chud
Carob Nut

Member 7155

Level 3.83

May 2006

Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:00 AM #25 of 25
For me, Christmas is about the following:

1. Giving love and gifts to family and a select few people who matter.
2. Spending money on holiday festivities/food/gifts. Can be a hassle at times.
3. Being able to enjoy Christmas Day not having to go into work. Always a plus.
4. Receiving gifts and other great material goods, especially when you know operate on a tight budget and can't buy much in the coming year.

Getting gifts for people has always been easy for me, since I usually get gift cards and cash to people that are unsure of what they would want. The only case in which I actually buy a certain item is if they specifically ask for it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > The "true" meaning of Christmas