Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Gears of War

Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2006, 07:21 PM Local time: Oct 7, 2006, 09:21 PM #26 of 254
There are 9 awesome multiplayer videos here. I'm pretty sure it's from the "Match made in Hell" event. The 8th and 9th video even show splitscreen, but I'm 99.9% sure that it's over system link so I don't know if you can do that over Live as well.

http://leech.thewopples.com/gow/

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zukan
Carob Nut

Member 1321

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 05:55 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 12:55 PM #27 of 254
Looking good
Thanks for the links man.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chankoro?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:28 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 01:28 PM #28 of 254
Oh but you know, the Wii will like, totally have the best games EVAR, and games like Gears for the 360 and PS3 will just BLOW cos Sony suxx0rz amirite?

Seriously, i've had my eye on this game for a long time. I remember when Epic was everyone's whipping boy back in the 90s, when idiots seemed to think they were trying to unseat/copy iD software. Here we are today with Epic in position as possibly the best supplier of FPS games and ready with another stunning title. The amount of effort gone into creating this is staggering, if you appreciate all the different type of textures and content that had to be created even for those short clips.

Well anyway, it looks incredible and plays nice and smoothly too; I can't wait for other titles based on this engine to come out.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:06 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 01:06 PM #29 of 254
Originally Posted by Ulysses
Seriously, i've had my eye on this game for a long time.
Are you a ...cyclops?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 01:13 PM #30 of 254
Originally Posted by Ulysses
I can't wait for other titles based on this engine to come out.
Isnt this game using the Unreal 3 engine? If so, then their are a slew of games coming out using this technology.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:20 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 08:20 PM #31 of 254
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
Are you a ...cyclops?
No, i'm a pirate... ha harr!

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 04:16 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 04:16 PM #32 of 254
Originally Posted by Newbie1234
There are 9 awesome multiplayer videos here. I'm pretty sure it's from the "Match made in Hell" event. The 8th and 9th video even show splitscreen, but I'm 99.9% sure that it's over system link so I don't know if you can do that over Live as well.

http://leech.thewopples.com/gow/
I think you can really tell what 1up was talking about when they mentioned some quirks with the context-sensitive A button, and with getting the chainsaw to work when you want it to. People were having difficulty navigating around obstacles or running away from enemies without getting stuck on things.

I really hope the game turns out well, but I imagine the multiplayer will take some getting used to.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 04:31 PM #33 of 254
I hope so because I only like games that have depth to them, and this looks to be one of thoes. As for people runing into things, that all depends. If it's because of sluggish controls then that would suck. If it's because the person is not aware of their surroundings then they're an idiot and they deserve a deth of a thousand pains.

How ya doing, buddy?
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 05:59 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 07:59 PM #34 of 254
I'm thinking the same thing. Those players are just picking up the game for the first time. I don't think the system is perfect, but I'm sure that with some practice you'd get use to how it works regardless.

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:40 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 02:40 PM #35 of 254
Nah, it's their first time. You can clearly see a little progression through the videos.

The controls are simple and intuitives, you just need good dexterity and knowledge of how a game is suppose to work. Most of the times, the people playing the games during those videos are missing both.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:04 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 01:04 PM #36 of 254
Quote:
October 18, 2006 - I just received a release from Microsoft's German PR firm that will undoubtedly annoy a lot of people. Why? Because it says Gears of War is no longer being released in Germany:

"Gears of War" (MGS): Die Microsoft Deutschland GmbH steht, wie in der Vergangenheit, zu den eingegangenen Selbstverpflichtungen und erkennt die USK als Instanz für die Alterskennzeichnung von Spielen für den deutschen Markt ausdrücklich an. Bei der internationalen Version des Spieletitels "Gears of War" für das System Xbox 360 der Microsoft Game Studios wurde von der Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle (USK), dem Förderverein für Jugend und Sozialarbeit e. V., die Alterskennzeichnung gemäß §14 des Jugendschutzgesetzes verweigert. Daher wird die Entertainment & Devices Division der Microsoft Deutschland GmbH den Titel "Gears of War" für Xbox 360 in Deutschland nicht veröffentlichen.

Eine spezielle Version für den deutschen Markt, die eine technische und inhaltliche Veränderung einschließt um eine Bewertung der USK zu erhalten, ist nach Rücksprache zwischen den Entwicklern und der USK ohne grundlegende Eingriffe in das Gamplay des Spiels nicht möglich. Durch solch tiefe Eingriffe würde die Erwartungshaltung der Spieler in Deutschland an das hohe Niveau des Spieles nicht mehr erfüllt und die Kompatibilität der Versionen untereinander via Xbox Live nicht mehr gewährleistet.

Aus diesem Grund wird in Deutschland "Gears of War" für Xbox 360 nicht erscheinen und für den deutschen Handel nicht bestellbar sein.

So basically, the situation is similar to the one experienced by Capcom when Dead Rising was due for release over here - the game was rejected a rating by the USK ratings board. This means that Microsoft wouldn't be able to advertise the game and that shops wouldn't be able to put the game on their shelves - if you wanted to buy Gears of War you'd have to ask the cashier for it and then be slipped a copy in a brown paper bag.

Following the ratings decision Microsoft explored the possibility of creating a version that could acquire a rating, but unfortunately this was incompatible with other versions released around the world when played on Xbox Live, so now Microsoft has decided to just not release the game, period. Germans still wishing to play Gears of War will likely have to import it from Austria, or the UK.
-- Andrew Burnes
Gears of War - for all intents and purposes is banned in Germany. Legal prostitution good, Gears of War bad?

*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:33 PM #37 of 254
Sucks to be German. Well, unless your into the whole prostitution thing. In that case, Cheers!

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:58 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 11:58 AM #38 of 254
Germany's ratings rules are insane anyway. Luckily these days, products are individually rated in each country but in the past, a single European rating was given and it was always the Germans who insisted on stupid changes. In Soul Blade, Li Long has a three point staff rather than nunchuka because of the Germans and when the Gun-con was released, Namco had to paint them blue and orange over here because the Germans were worried kids might try to commit armed robbery with them.

If you look back over the pre-release Halo 2 updates, there's one where Franky goes to the German censors and then to ours here in the UK and whereas we will pass just about anything, they struggled to get Halo 2 rated in Germany.

Looking at the BBFC website (The English classification board), the only way to get your product an 18 rating these days is to have gratuitous, glorifed violence with no comeback, making drug use look fun or violent rape scenes and unlike America, getting an 18 rating for a film or game generally makes it more popular here whereas I understand that over there, an M rating tends to kill things off.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:14 AM #39 of 254
It can in the states... depending on the state. I have many friends in the US on X-box LIVE and they all say different things as to how M rated games react with the public in each state. It's interesting to see the differences from state to state, though I think the general gamer opinion is pretty uniform on the matter in the whole country, lol.

I know here in Canada, not many people care about ratings. We (or at least most) believe in personal responsability. Therefore we don't care if you were robbing the bank like you did in GTA: Vice City, your and F'n idiot and you're going to jail. Think of it as a "director's cut" of Vice City. Sure we still have ratings and what not here, but the only games that you have to be 18 to buy is Manhunt, so for all you minors just hop on a plane and come to Canada when you want to buy GTA4, or all you Germans if you want Gears of War. ^^

FELIPE NO
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:27 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 03:27 PM #40 of 254
Originally Posted by Shin
Germany's ratings rules are insane anyway. Luckily these days, products are individually rated in each country but in the past, a single European rating was given and it was always the Germans who insisted on stupid changes. In Soul Blade, Li Long has a three point staff rather than nunchuka because of the Germans and when the Gun-con was released, Namco had to paint them blue and orange over here because the Germans were worried kids might try to commit armed robbery with them.
That's interesting because I'm living in Germany and my German copy of Soul Blade has Li Long with the nunchuk and my Gun-con that came with the uncut (!) German version of Time Crisis is dark grey. Urban legend?

Anyway, I guess the situation isn't all too bad, because we can easily buy games from neighbour countries like Switzerland and Austria and still have a German language version. A lot of games have been banned in Germany before and that didn't make them any less popular.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:42 AM #41 of 254
That's good to hear. Because if I lived in Germany and bought a 360, I'd be so pissed if I couldn't get gears simply because that's really the only game that's actually worth buying the system for. Sure there are other great games like Dead Rising and Condemned, but I wouldn't buy the system just for either of thoes.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:57 AM #42 of 254
Originally Posted by Shin
and unlike America, getting an 18 rating for a film or game generally makes it more popular here whereas I understand that over there, an M rating tends to kill things off.
I wouldnt say thats necessarily true, but then again, like Slayer X said, it varies greatly.

TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:08 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 11:08 AM #43 of 254
Quote:
That's good to hear. Because if I lived in Germany and bought a 360, I'd be so pissed if I couldn't get gears simply because that's really the only game that's actually worth buying the system for. Sure there are other great games like Dead Rising and Condemned, but I wouldn't buy the system just for either of thoes.
Sorry Slayer but why are you such a Xbox hater? You bash a system that you've purchased and either bought or rented MANY good games. Your gamertag shows them.

Call of Duty 2
Street Fighter 2
Chromehounds
Fight Night Round 3
Nintey-Nine-Nights
Dead Rising
Oblivion (For a console anyways)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

These are all amazing games in my opinion that can ONLY be played/enjoyed as of now on the XB360.

I got my entertainment buck already from the machine with my 3000 games of Street Fighter II and various stomping matches with Skills in Chromehounds.

If nothing else came out for the system, I got my money's worth. However, we've yet to see what people can deliver now having a solid year's worth of development experience on the system.

Edit: COD2 is on the PC, however the vid card alone is a fair chunk of what the 360 cost.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by TonyDaTigger; Oct 19, 2006 at 04:33 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:02 PM #44 of 254
I bash the 360 from time to time because first off if you don't try to look for the faults in something, it'll never get better. I'm not saying that it's a horrible system, but really, there's not much YET that I think makes you have to buy the system.

Side Note: SF2 is a great game, but the 360 controller is horrible for the game. I have SF2 for the SNES and the PS2 and thoes controllers work a LOT better then the 360 controller. In other words I regret buying it SF2 for the 360.

COD2... a great game it is, I play it on LIVE a lot too, still not something that I'd buy the 360 for over a PS3. (price doesn't matter to me)

Chromehounds
Fight Night Round 3
Nintey-Nine-Nights
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

While all entertaining, I didn't keep any of them longer then two weeks. And Oblivion is also coming for the PS3, therefore you don't HAVE to have a 360 to play the game. (unless you've got a shorter attention span then a five-year-old on speed drinking Red Bull)

And like I said Dead Rising, SC: Double Agent are the only two games that are close to being "killer apps". And then you have Gears of War which is what I bought the system for.

And finally you say that we should start seeing better stuff now that the system's been out for a year. Well I'm currently seeing better looking games on the PS3 that are coming out at launch or close to it that look better then almost ANY 360 game (other then Dead Rising, Gears of War & SC: Double Agent). LAIR, Motor Storm, Resistance, Ridge Racer 7, they all look better then the 360.

Long story short, there's lots of potential in that white box. And I'm not upset about the machiene itself, I'm upset with the lack of titles for it that actually make it look like you're playing Next-Gen, and not the next half of a gen.

Finally everything I say is simply my opinion of course. I'm not saying that it's the word of God or anything, it's just how things look from a gamer that plays two games a week, and if there's not a high enough amount of quality titles I become bored and cranky. Hence why I'm still playing my PS2 more then my 360, the games may not look as good, but there's a lot more new titles coming out for it that are really good then the 360 right now.

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 20, 2006 at 02:09 PM.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 06:04 PM #45 of 254
Gamespot had some exclusive footage run on their website. I don't know but it felt a bit dull, hmmm...GOR or COD3? :eyebrow:

http://www.gamevideos.com/gvdata1/7006/gowgspreview.wmv

galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:15 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 04:15 PM #46 of 254
Originally Posted by Slayer X
I bash the 360 from time to time because first off if you don't try to look for the faults in something, it'll never get better.
While this statement is true, it's kind of faulty reasoning on your part. YOU will not effect any kind of change by looking for these "faults" and putting them on a still-kinda-obscure internet forum. Unless of course Microsoft has a team of dudes who sit around and scour internet forums for feedback on their system...

If you want to at least try to change things, you're probably better off talking to Microsoft themselves. Then again, they probably won't reply to you and certainly not with the fervor and tenacity of message board users, which is probably what you're after in the first place.

*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:26 PM #47 of 254
But you shouldnt think a console sucks because of a few trivial problems.

Theres gonna be problems wether you look for them or not. You need to look at the overall package and how much enjoyment or lack thereof you have gotten out of it, and base your decision on that.

Theres always room for improvement, but dont call it incomplete and garbage because the company has not made those improvements yet.

FELIPE NO
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:30 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2006, 01:30 PM #48 of 254
Originally Posted by T1249NTSCJ
Gamespot had some exclusive footage run on their website. I don't know but it felt a bit dull, hmmm...GOR or COD3? :eyebrow:

http://www.gamevideos.com/gvdata1/7006/gowgspreview.wmv
That opening scene looked amazing, but gameplay sure was dull. I can't believe how generic the actual level design is. Despite minor variations between checkpoints, the "arenas" where pretty much identical, with concrete blocks and debris placed in a systematic pattern throughout the rectangular area with no other purpose than to be used for cover. Most of the animations also looked unfinished.

I hope the final product will offer some more variety in those aspects.

Last edited by Rock; Oct 23, 2006 at 06:36 AM.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:05 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2006, 02:05 PM #49 of 254
I don't know why, but this game does not seem like it is going to be some killer game like Splinter Cell or Halo. Sorry it just doesn't. If I didn't have a 360, I wouldn't get one for this just by looking at videos and screens. We just have to wait and see.

Lost planet with a similar perspective and kind of game looks way more appealing.

Most amazing jew boots
*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:45 PM #50 of 254
I still hold high hopes for this game. Even if it isnt a killer ap its bound to be a great game none the less.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Gears of War