Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] LifeSigns: Surgical Unit (Phoenix Wright + Trauma Center)

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2007, 07:58 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2007, 07:58 PM #1 of 22
LifeSigns: Surgical Unit (Phoenix Wright + Trauma Center)

YouTube Video

Alrighty. My brother dropped the name of this game to me a few minutes ago, mentioning a "2005 DS surgery-game" that was just now getting released in the states. I Youtube searched on it and fell in love with it <3

It doesn't have the abnormal/fucked up GUILT-thing that Trauma Center had. These are semi-realistic illnesses and injuries. You gather evidence, items, knowledge, etc and unveil it during surgeries.

On the side, you do the movements/etc during the surgical attempts, but you don't need madd stylus skillz, ie: Trauma Center. I saw one review that said this is 70% Phoenix Wright-ish and 30% Trauma Center-ish.

It is largely driven by character development and is a Romance-Drama. This game is the second in its series, but I hear that the first one was pretty bad =U The game has a sort of Black Jack feel and look to it, so needless to say, I'm quite drawn to it. It's coming out June 26th, so look for it if you're interested =o I am.

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:54 PM #2 of 22
If it seriously has those elements and puts them to good use, then this game is as good as gold in my collection.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Twikite

Member 331

Level 5.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:39 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 12:39 AM #3 of 22
Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center elements? I sincerely hope this doesn't turn out to be two much of a good thing, because that tagline alone wins my 30$.

I wonder how, exactly, the investigation aspect plays out... are you going to be breaking into patient's houses like the doctors in House M.D? Cause that would be excellent.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:28 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 10:28 AM #4 of 22
It seems like you have to be on the patient's good-side. Note on the trailer how there's a gray heart icon that cracks depending upon what you say.

It looks like you research the injuries/diseases/etc. though =D It supposedly focuses on character development, though. And call me sappy, but romantic storylines have the best character-types, IMHO (note my av-sig~).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:26 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 07:26 PM #5 of 22
I remember this one. Back when DS was coming out, this got a lot of coverage and I remember reading you needed to talk to the patient via the microphone to keep them calm. "During surgery? O_o" I wondered.

If it's story-focused, that sounds good. Hopefully the characters are well-written and the dialogue won't be choked out by too much localization.

But is it as good as Cave Story?????

I was speaking idiomatically.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:30 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 11:30 AM #6 of 22
I'm curious if Nintendo will get censor-happy. Note the risque areas and what-not the view is focused at times when diagnosing =( Sexy hips? NO. MORBIDLY OBESE ONES NOW. PUT BOXERS ON.

Mike usage? The mike use I've seen thus far on DS games involves literally blowing in to it. Don't you have to scream (pract near) for it to register?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:41 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 11:41 AM #7 of 22
Mike usage? The mike use I've seen thus far on DS games involves literally blowing in to it. Don't you have to scream (pract near) for it to register?
Well, in Brain Age you don't have to scream, but it still doesn't understand you half the time ('sup blue). Phoenix Wright is the only game I've played that you actually had to scream something specific into the mic to get it to understand you. Thank goodness that it's not a requirement in either of those games, though.

But yeah, as for this game, I heard it wasn't really that good. I'll still give it a chance, since I was interested in playing this back when I saw it in some gaming magazine like two years ago. I doubt it will be as good as Trauma Center or Phoenix Wright, but I don't think it will absolutely terrible either.

FELIPE NO
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:04 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 11:04 AM #8 of 22
As an addendum to RockgamerXIII's reply, there are also some DS games that use the mike for voice chat when playing over a Wi-Fi connection.

That little detail aside, I might get this game depending on if other people tell me if it's worth the money. I'm in no really big hurry to get it. The game sounds like it's pretty good, but if it has little to no replay value then I'll just wind up borrowing or renting it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:07 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 09:07 PM #9 of 22
I'm curious if Nintendo will get censor-happy. Note the risque areas and what-not the view is focused at times when diagnosing =( Sexy hips? NO. MORBIDLY OBESE ONES NOW. PUT BOXERS ON.

I see you've never played Nintendogs (or Cave Story)

As for censoring, if there's any, it will be on NOA's part, not Nintendo in general, what with the game having already been released in Japan and let's not forget SNK's little upcoming gem.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:25 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 12:25 PM #10 of 22
Nintendogs seems a little different, though. You basically just have to record your voice and tthen repeat it the same way for it to register in that game. It would probably be a lot harder if you had to say preset commands to get your dogs to do stuff. Either way though, you definitely don't have to scream, which makes Gech statement pretty pointless (just like his opinions on 24 ).

My guess is that you probably won't have to say any specific words, they'll just have to be discernable words and not just blowing.

And yeah, I don't think there will actually be any censoring. It's not like they're aiming this game at children, so I see no reason why they would. It looks like it could get away with an E10+, though most likely it will be rated T.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 04:22 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 04:22 PM #11 of 22
Q --
That is who I was referring to (when I mentioned "Nintendo censoring"). Nintendo USA has a bad track record from long ago~

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Old Jun 17, 2007, 07:17 PM #12 of 22
NOA did that during the SNES era. They haven't since. In fact there have been games where the Nintendo version wasn't censored while on other systems they were. The thing is that since there are so few Mature games that might be up for censorship that get onto a Nintendo system that when they do and gasp they aren't censored like people who grew up with NOA censoring SNES games they act all surprised. Hell, Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 had less bleeped out language than the Xbox remake. Go figure.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 07:53 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 07:53 PM #13 of 22
I still make a big deal out of it if I see a Nintendo game with foul language =D I'll be all "OH FUCK. AWESOME~"

But yeah. SNES translation-treatment scarred me for life in regards to Nintendo. I keep thinking they'll butcher a masterpiece again, like they did so many times in the past.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:23 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 09:23 PM #14 of 22
What the hell was that?

Anyways, this game has gained my attention. Never tried Trauma Center, but i've been interested in it before. I can't find it anywhere. I loooooooove Phoenix Wright though. Probably my favourite DS game(s). I will deffinetly give this one a shot.

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:33 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 10:33 PM #15 of 22
Trauma Center had promise, but it got to the point where the illnesses/etc were Sci-Fi and way too fictional. Plus, the surgeries got fucking hard and fast. Playing that game was murder on my stylus-hand.

FELIPE NO

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 04:33 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2007, 07:33 PM #16 of 22
Sexy hips? But they already let Bridget on the DS in Guilty Gea-oh shi- Man, I remember reading about the first Tendo Dokuta game before the DS even launched. Pretty rad to see the sequel make it over! Everyone has such massive ears in this game. It's kinda magical.

Most amazing jew boots
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:51 AM #17 of 22
I've seen the box for this in a few stores, but it looks like just another game trying to emulate an already successful one and falling short. I guess I'm a bit jaded since I read reviews of the first one back when it came out, but I don't hold out much hope. There's always a chance though, since it is combining two interesting gameplay types.

Trauma Center had promise, but it got to the point where the illnesses/etc were Sci-Fi and way too fictional. Plus, the surgeries got fucking hard and fast. Playing that game was murder on my stylus-hand.
That ended up being one of my favorite things about Trauma Center though. It was insanely difficult at times, but that made it all the better when you finally got past those operations. I do agree that it should have had more realistic surgeries before it got to the GUILT stuff though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 05:00 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2007, 05:00 PM #18 of 22
This has improved LOTS over the first one. I read that the first one sucked pretty hard, but I've only heard good things about this (the sequel. The one coming here~)

Most amazing jew boots

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 05:04 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2007, 04:04 PM #19 of 22
Even if the first one did suck, I'd still rather have it come out here before the sequel. I guess I'm just being anal, but that's the completist in me talking.

How ya doing, buddy?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:14 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 04:14 PM #20 of 22
I got misled. I thought this thread was about a compilation game containing Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center. It's a good misnomer, though. This came looks awesome in all aspects. I'm glad its allegedly comprised more of PW gameplay, since while I did like Trauma Center, it severely destroyed my hands. It was also excruciatingly difficult.

So essentially, this hybrid sounds very appealing to me. =D

Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:46 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 10:46 PM #21 of 22
Hmm, so when is the real TC2 coming?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:29 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 10:29 PM #22 of 22
It was one of Atlus' only really decent selling games, so obviously: never.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] LifeSigns: Surgical Unit (Phoenix Wright + Trauma Center)