Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Hub or switch?

Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 05:47 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 03:47 PM #1 of 8
Arrow Hub or switch?

Ok, here's my situation. I currently have four computers in my apartment wired to a four port Linksys router. The problem is, I have another computer in my room I would like to add to the network to access the internet and share files with. So my question is this: would I need a hub or switch to accomplish this? I don't need anything fancy, just something that would enable me to add this computer to the network.

I'm sure someone is going to suggest going wireless but I'd rather not since I had a bad experience with Netgear wireless hardware, thus wiring my whole apartment with cat5. Plus, I'm trying to keep it on the inexpensive side.

Thanks!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:13 PM #2 of 8
A switch would probably be better: hubs are, effectively, repeaters, so you'll get bogged down eventually. Of course, you probably won't even notice it that much; whichever should work. (A hub will definitely be cheaper.)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Snowknight; Mar 21, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:21 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 04:21 PM #3 of 8
Are there any main differences between the two?

Another thing I'm wondering about is how to actually use the hub/switch. I hear from a co-worker that in order to use a hub, I would need a second network card to connect to the hub. Is that true?

How ya doing, buddy?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:25 PM #4 of 8
You can always plug the required computers into the hub/switch and then plug the hub/switch into the router. (You might need a crossover cable to be wired from the hub/switch to the router for this to work.)
In other words, no, you don't need another network card.

As for the differences between the two...
A switch builds a switching table of hosts connected to it. This means that when the switch recieves data from a host, it can look in its switching table to find the port it should send the data out in order to have it properly delivered. A hub, upon recieving data, floods it out all the ports (including the one it came from in most cases), assuming that it will find the right host via a process of elimination.

Most amazing jew boots
Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:50 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 08:50 AM #5 of 8
Thanks for the information, Snowknight. I really hope I don't need to use a cross over cable since I've got a good length of cat5 already stapled down a hall and into my room.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:11 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 12:11 AM #6 of 8
I would strongly recommend that you use a switch, especially if there's going to be heavy LAN traffic. Switches aren't that much more expensive than hubs nowadays.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:44 AM #7 of 8
Exactly. The price difference is minimal, the performance difference is not (Sample Benchmark: LAN gaming. On my 24-port hub my ping is in the 30-ish range, on my 16-port switch my ping never goes above 10).

Just run a regular CAT5 from the router to the switch and in most cases you'll be set - connect other machines to the switch and they'll work just fine. Hasn't failed me yet. Probably it's not PERFECT Network topology, but for home networks there's no reason to go extreme.

FELIPE NO
Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 01:07 PM #8 of 8
Excellent, then a switch it is! Thanks for all your hellp guys, my 'media pc' is coming together nicely now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Hub or switch?