Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Typos taht drive you CRAZEY!

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:04 PM #76 of 107
I'm surprised Sprout hasnt brought up one of his pet peeves with my spelling errors... we'll be talking about game consoles, and I'll say 'game consuls'. They're both real words, so I'm never warned by spellcheck. I usually catch it a moment afterward though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:55 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 04:55 PM #77 of 107
As far as I know, the possessive form of it is just "its" without the apostrophe, because "it's" is a contraction of "it is". It's the one exception to the rule, and naturally it will trip people up.

You'd say "The dog licked its nose."

The rule I have problems with is the placement of punctuation around a quotation. Inside or out? Surely not both.
Terminating commas and periods are always inside. Question marks follow common sense: if you're quoting a question, it goes inside. If you're asking a question, it goes outside.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:10 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 05:10 PM #78 of 107
Terminating commas and periods are always inside. Question marks follow common sense: if you're quoting a question, it goes inside. If you're asking a question, it goes outside.
Depending on what part of the world you live in. These rules do shift, people.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:28 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 05:28 PM #79 of 107
I'm actually interested in hearing these differences, if you don't mind.

How ya doing, buddy?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:34 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 05:34 PM #80 of 107
I'm actually interested in hearing these differences, if you don't mind.
Your version is the American version. The British system teaches the logical placement of commas and periods, rather than the conventional placement. It's the same rules as you Yanks use to place question and exclamation marks. Does it beyond to what you're quoting? No? Outside quotation marks.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:45 PM #81 of 107
In grade school, I was taught phonics instead of hard and fast spelling for the first few years, and in my classes after they didn't make a big deal about misspelling words unless it was part of the vocabulary list we were learning. I expect this is true for a lot of people in this generation, so I really don't make a big deal about misspelling words - I do it, I try very hard to unlearn the words I fuck up, and I appreciate it when someone tells me I'm misspelling something.

But there's something so gloriously satisfying about a douchebag like Dragoonkain affecting a superior demeanor because he knows how to spell tomorrow. Fuck your excuses, you dug this hole yourself you delightfully little smug retard.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:59 PM #82 of 107
I'm surprised Sprout hasnt brought up one of his pet peeves with my spelling errors... we'll be talking about game consoles, and I'll say 'game consuls'. They're both real words, so I'm never warned by spellcheck. I usually catch it a moment afterward though.
Ughhhh, nothing about you pisses me off more

Also, Soluzar nailed it on the it's discussion. I would always say "the dog licked it's nose." It seems like it should be right considering the posessive rule, but eh, guess not.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:08 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 06:08 PM #83 of 107
Ughhhh, nothing about you pisses me off more.
Fratboyism.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:12 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 08:42 PM #84 of 107
Type-O's don't bug me too much, it's lil' fuckers that type only in acronyms. If any of my teen cousins message me on MSN, all you get is shit like "lulz" "LMFAO" and other stuff I have no clue as to what they mean, they must be making their own acronyms in their emails, because the entire messages looks like it written in code.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:14 PM #85 of 107
Ahhh yes, you're right... Though admittedly, she doesn't do the gay frat shit like 99% of them, so I guess that's why I overlook it most of the time. Except for when she says "you don't call a country a cunt so don't call a fraternity a frat."

<3

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:19 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 06:19 PM #86 of 107
Ahhh yes, you're right... Though admittedly, she doesn't do the gay frat shit like 99% of them, so I guess that's why I overlook it most of the time. Except for when she says "you don't call a country a cunt so don't call a fraternity a frat."

<3
Wait, wouldn't it be you don't call a country a count? Or even a Coun? It's a frat. And apparently it makes you unable to spell.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:28 PM #87 of 107
Wait, wouldn't it be you don't call a country a count? Or even a Coun? It's a frat. And apparently it makes you unable to spell.
Oh I know... Believe me, she lost ALL credibility after dropping that one.

Most amazing jew boots
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:07 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 08:07 PM 1 #88 of 107
I just noticed myself spelling 'Unfortuneatly' instead of Unfortunately. I mean, how have I gotten away with spelling it that way without anyone yelling at me, or me going 'hey wtf, that doesn't look right?'. Someone slap me please. There was another word I spelled weird for awhile as well. I can't remember what it is right now though.

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:18 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 09:48 PM #89 of 107
When it comes to my own type-os, the most common one I make is 'teh'

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Yamigarasu
Ace P.I.

Member 22229

Level 7.28

Apr 2007

Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:48 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 10:48 PM #90 of 107
Something that really pisses me, it's when I forget to capitalize I.

Problem is, I rarelly type words that start with an I on lower case because I just have an urge to capitalize anything with an I, so I end up creating typos out of fear of creating typos.

And there is too many me's on that sentence.

Most amazing jew boots
Mersenne
The Red Priest

Member 2697

Level 38.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:28 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 02:28 PM #91 of 107
"Program" is correct in the US, just like "center," "color," and "maneuver."e.
Manoeuvre
Centre
Colour

In Aus, the correct usage is taken from the English system but this does not stop Americanisms from creeping in. Modern English usage compromises a little, so both 'progamme' and 'program' is acceptable. In business/professional writing 'program' is the standard spelling.

Also Deni, as far as I'm aware in Australia, the correct punctuation as taught at university level is the same as mentioned by Dhsu. Punctuation inside the quotation marks refer to the quote. Outside punctuation is used to conjoin quoted sentences with non-quoted sentences. I'd be interested to hear what the differences are, if any.

I've got some books on modern Australian punctuation. If there's anything specific you or anyone would like me to look up, I'd be happy to do so.

BACH 2012 | Music Show | Into The Music | Proust's Cookie | Blogs
Boston Review - The Sound of Philosophy | The Rest Is Noise - I Hate Classical Music

Last edited by Mersenne; Mar 24, 2008 at 11:37 PM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:16 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 03:16 AM #92 of 107
Also Deni, as far as I'm aware in Australia, the correct punctuation as taught at university level is the same as mentioned by Dhsu. Punctuation inside the quotation marks refer to the quote. Outside punctuation is used to conjoin quoted sentences with non-quoted sentences. I'd be interested to hear what the differences are, if any.
Actually, that's the system Denicalis described. In American grammar, periods and commas go inside quotation marks regardless of whether they were originally part of the sentence. I imagine this is to prevent double punctuation, but it still looks dumb.

Pirate
Arr

Member 23019

Level 2.12

Jul 2007

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:11 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 08:11 AM #93 of 107
It isn't a typo, but I think it falls under the same category. It seems like everyone in the UK likes to IM with pictures or animated text that replaces 70% of what they type. It's so fucking annoying I've started blocking people who won't turn off their flashy pink animated text when they talk to me.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:27 PM #94 of 107
One thing that really pisses me off isn't really a typo per se, but more of a grammatical thing that TONS of people do. And I don't understand why.

The use of quotation marks are meant for... well, quoting. You "do not" need to put random quotes on parts of the sentences to accent it. If you want to do that, use an underline. Or bold. You know. Putting extra quotations marks just doesn't work that way.

Another, briefly mentioned above, is per se. It's not 'per say', even if that's how it sounds. Argh. And it's also curious, but there is no second U in curiosity.

And FINALLY, more of a spoken thing than a typed one... My grandmother is NOTORIOUS for this: adding or removing syllables from words. ELM and FILM are one-syllable words... They are not pronounced 'ellum' or 'fillum'. Similarly, it's pronounced BAT-TER-EE. Not BAT-TREE.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:34 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 02:34 PM #95 of 107
Umberella

ella

ella

FELIPE NO

Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:21 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 03:21 PM #96 of 107
As far as I know, the possessive form of it is just "its" without the apostrophe, because "it's" is a contraction of "it is". It's the one exception to the rule.
Not particularly, since it's a possessive pronoun in the same vein as "his" or "her". This is also a good way to determine whether to use "its"; if you can replace the word with "his", then use "its".

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:34 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 11:34 PM #97 of 107
Definately. A few years back, I used to think that I was the sole person on the internet that could spell it right. And English isn't my first language, but I'm told that I am a pretty good speller (I was the best in my class!) and usually asked to proofread stuff.

Close second would be how people tend to mix up between advice and advise.

Shanks
Syklis Green

Member 18575

Level 8.62

Jan 2007

Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:41 PM 1 #98 of 107

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Shanks; Aug 31, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:51 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 11:51 PM 2 #99 of 107
I've tried to keep quiet, but I just can't hold it in any longer. I have to tell everyone that the world today seems to be going crazy. Let me preface my discussion by quickly reasserting a familiar theme: Mr. Shanks makes it his job to palm off our present situation as the compelling ground for worldwide adversarialism. That should serve as the final, ultimate, irrefutable proof that we need to oppose evil wherever it rears its unreasonable head. Why? Because of what's at stake: literally everything.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why Shanks wants to implement an unregenerate parody of justice called "Shanks-ism". Maybe it's because he plans to misdirect our efforts into fighting each other rather than into understanding the nature and endurance of immature demagogism. He is a brainless grifter. I use that label only when it's true. If you don't believe it is, then consider that Shanks keeps telling everyone within earshot that truth is merely a social construct. I'm guessing that Shanks read that on some Web site of dubious validity. More reliable sources generally indicate that it is not uncommon for him to victimize the innocent, penalize the victim for making any effort to defend himself, and then paint the whole obstinate affair as some great benefit to humanity. To sum it all up, Mr. Shanks's flimflams are devoid of logic and filled to the brim with hate and misinformation.

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:52 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 11:52 PM #100 of 107
Not particularly, since it's a possessive pronoun in the same vein as "his" or "her". This is also a good way to determine whether to use "its"; if you can replace the word with "his", then use "its".
A good point and well made, sir.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Typos taht drive you CRAZEY!