Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Bought a new computer, can't run shit (graphics card/specs advice)

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:21 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2008, 12:21 PM #1 of 6
Bought a new computer, can't run shit (graphics card/specs advice)

Hey guys. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I noticed a lot of help threads are in Hardware so I figured my target audience might be here.

I bought a new computer the day before yesterday from Circuit City, an HP Pavillion Verde (a6645f), which is some model only sold through Circuit City. It was on sale and I was able to haggle it down a bit with my boss, so I got it, a two-year protection plan, a VGA cable and some audio minijacks for 620 bucks. How is this part relevant? I dunno, I just wanted to tell someone.

But anyway, I noticed I'm having difficulty running most anything that so much as resembles three-dimensions. I'm trying to pinpoint what the flipping hell the problem is, so I was looking for some advice/input from you guys. The specs on the thing can be found here:

HP Pavillion Verde a6645f Hardware Specifications

And here's the part that's probably most relevant, if you don't want to click the link:

Spoiler:
Hardware

Base processor
Athlon X2 (B) 4850e 2.5 GHz (45W)

2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2

Chipset
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Narra3-GL8E

Power
Power supply - 300W

Memory
Memory Installed - 5 GB
Maximum allowed - 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)

4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)

Other
Speed supported - PC2-6400 MB/sec
Type - 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Video Graphics
Integrated on motherboard (see motherboard and chipset)

Expansion Slots
PCI - One
PCI Express x16 - One
PCI Express x1 - Two

Now, my knowledge of computers is limited at best, but I do know this computer isn't a fancy-ass gaming rig and isn't meant to be. But I'm also pretty sure that it should be able to do some light gaming without having to change my settings to the bare minimum and still get choppiness and slowdown.

My guess is that the built-in chip sucks ass and that I should get a video card, but I'd like to know what the resident experts think (and if they agree, what card they think would be best).

Thanks for your time, guys!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Dec 29, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:31 PM #2 of 6
Yes. Get a dedicated graphics card.

Thread over.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:39 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2008, 12:39 PM #3 of 6
I assumed it was the fact that it uses a built-in chip, but I left things open to discussion because I don't pretend to know anything about computer hardware.

Any actual suggestions for a card?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Benjamin please
how's it going

Member 48

Level 16.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:00 PM #4 of 6
Well, anything PCIE16 usually runs reasonably cheap. You could probably pick up a 256mb ATI or nVidia card at your local best buy for around $100.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
<a_lurker|laptop> I think your car died too.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:33 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2008, 01:33 PM #5 of 6
don't get anything too ZOMG EXPENSIVE though, or you'll need to throw in a new power supply too. Those high-end cards suck up a lot of juice.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dyesan
hey YOU!

Member 1790

Level 17.02

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:05 AM #6 of 6
ATI HD 4850 is a popular choice.

edit: Also, 1x PCI slot means mATX mobo. Might be wise to make sure that the case will be able to accompany a full size (height-wise) gfx card. If not, you may have to go with a low-bracket one.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Dyesan; Dec 31, 2008 at 04:33 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Bought a new computer, can't run shit (graphics card/specs advice)