Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Want some more fries, chunky?

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:44 PM #26 of 58
Originally Posted by nuttyturnip
The point is that stores have decided to profit off a segment of the population, and they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts (like say, a cigarette tax). What would happen if Sears decided to charge non-English speaking customers $2 more for everything they buy?
I am in favor of this language tax. It should go straight to the cashier as payment for all of the confusion and trouble.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:56 PM #27 of 58
Originally Posted by Tritoch
I am in favor of this language tax. It should go straight to the cashier as payment for all of the confusion and trouble.
No, I'm sorry, the money would go into the pocket of the CEO, who would use the extra funds to hire more immigrant landscapers for his house, who would then shop at his store and pay the "tax". It's a vicious cycle.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:32 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 12:32 AM #28 of 58
Fine, I'm a fat, lazy American, and I'm ok with that. So are hundreds of thousands of my fellow countrymen.

Quote:
The point is that stores have decided to profit off a segment of the population, and they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts (like say, a cigarette tax).
BREAKING NEWS: STORES HAVE DECIDED TO PROFIT, FULL STORY ON CNN TONIGHT 9 PM/10 PM CENTRAL

Quote:
What would happen if Sears decided to charge non-English speaking customers $2 more for everything they buy?
Then... they would be accused of being xenophobic, and would lose business. I mean, wow, do you understand what you are saying? They are not charging you more because you're fat, they're charging more because it's a different product, in production of which more material is used. I don't even know, maybe you're really kidding. This ''businesses discriminate against me because 25% of my body is lard'' idea is ridiculous. Have you heard of supply and demand?
Quote:
Where are all the other overweight members of GFF, anyway? It's not Tritoch and I are the only fat people here.
No, but maybe there aren't any more that think ''the man'' is out to get them for being fat.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:38 PM #29 of 58
Where are all the other overweight members of GFF, anyway? It's not Tritoch and I are the only fat people here.
Present. I wear XL, though, so I've never noticed the alleged price differences between sizes. I don't have a problem with stores charging more for bigger clothes. More fabric means it costs more to produce means it's more expensive to buy. Seems logical and fair to me.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lunar Seal
i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itsself

Member 12670

Level 9.15

Sep 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:36 PM #30 of 58
Originally Posted by Aardork
[

Then... they would be accused of being xenophobic, and would lose business. I mean, wow, do you understand what you are saying? They are not charging you more because you're fat, they're charging more because it's a different product, in production of which more material is used. I don't even know, maybe you're really kidding. This ''businesses discriminate against me because 25% of my body is lard'' idea is ridiculous. Have you heard of supply and demand?

I'd like to know where he/she is shopping anyway. As I said before, I've never seen or heard of a company charging more for different sizes. But I'm not against the idea.

It's funny how people make excuses for their problems.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:45 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 06:45 PM #31 of 58
Around here, you only start getting charged more when you head up past XXL into XXXL and other ridiculously behemoth sizes. And even then, it's like maybe a dollar or two more.

Oh hey did you know you can buy 10XL from those "big and tall" catalogs? Can you even imagine 10XL? My mind cannot comprehend.

FELIPE NO
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:39 PM #32 of 58
I think a whale would wear 10XL. Anyway, the general consensus here seems to be that fat people should lose weight and stop worrying about the man, so there's no point in me arguing anymore. However, for those who say they've never seen this price phenomenon before, here are some examples:

Wal-Mart: S-XL XXL-XXXL $2 difference

Dillards: S-XXL 2X-5X (I'll grant you, 5X is humongous, but notice both pages have XXL, but if you buy it from the Big&Tall section, it'll cost you $5.50 more for the exact same size.)

Sears: Waist size 28-44 Waist size 46-50 $10 difference

Edit: Let me try another analogy, one that fat people would like. Using this pricing structure, I should be able to walk into a Burger King, and order any size french fries for the same price, except the super jumbo ones. How does this make sense?

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by nuttyturnip; Sep 18, 2006 at 09:45 PM.
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 09:43 PM #33 of 58
My friend Shani has to wear 3XL, and he is an Olympian. He's in the best shape out of anybody I know, but he is also the second of tallest of dudes I know. Why does he wear XXXL? Any t-shirts smaller won't cover his belly. Tall dudes need long/wide shirts. My old stagecrew boss weighs in around 500lbs, and is about 6'5". He wore something that made Shani's wardrobe look like doll clothing, so 10XL isn't completely unheard of.

As far as the higher cost for larger than XL goes, it's supply and demand. Most people don't go larger than XL, so XXL and up don't sell too well. To make up for their cost of production, they need to increase the price somewhere. Don't forget, making the shirts is the easy part. It's the design and layout that have the biggest costs.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"I can make a scalpel sing, but that is my gift. The gift is not in my hands, for you see, I can play the notes [on a piano], but I can't make music."

~ Major Charles Emerson Winchester III
4077 M*A*S*H
J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:46 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 07:46 PM #34 of 58
Originally Posted by Aardork
Those greedy capitalists are at it again.

It's not a just few inches 'longer'; you must consider the whole surface area. Yes, dinosaur-sized shirts do indeed use up quite a bit more fabric.

What? No one has any duty to supply you with huge shirts. They cost more to produce, so you will pay more for it. If you don't like it, make your own shirts. And, uh, I have a very hard time believing that there are many people who 'naturally' have to wear XXL clothes. I am 6'2'' and weigh almost 200 pounds, but medium shirts fit me just fine.

I second this notion!

I always thought it was as such: Bigger shirt > more fabric > MORE MONEY!

I am about the same size as Aardork (2 inches shorter and about 10ish punds lighter) and I can pretty easily fit into medium shirts, but prefer large for the "little extra comfort" factor.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:00 AM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 01:00 PM #35 of 58
Originally Posted by Fatt
My friend Shani has to wear 3XL, and he is an Olympian. He's in the best shape out of anybody I know, but he is also the second of tallest of dudes I know. Why does he wear XXXL? Any t-shirts smaller won't cover his belly. Tall dudes need long/wide shirts. My old stagecrew boss weighs in around 500lbs, and is about 6'5". He wore something that made Shani's wardrobe look like doll clothing, so 10XL isn't completely unheard of.

As far as the higher cost for larger than XL goes, it's supply and demand. Most people don't go larger than XL, so XXL and up don't sell too well. To make up for their cost of production, they need to increase the price somewhere. Don't forget, making the shirts is the easy part. It's the design and layout that have the biggest costs.
I'm 6'4" and fit just fine into medium sized shirts and t-shirts. I disagree that being tall has anything to do with it.

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:27 AM #36 of 58
I'm about 6'0'' even, and around 295. I have noticed pretty much everywhere that the XXL shirts are more, but it really doesn't bother me that much. It's not as if I'm sastisfied with my weight or anything, and it's kind of like a little reminder to lose weight. Like Shin said about taxing cigarettes (though I feel that's just capitalism), it can be viewed as nag to lose weight.

Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 03:51 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 03:51 PM #37 of 58
Originally Posted by Shin
I'm 6'4" and fit just fine into medium sized shirts and t-shirts. I disagree that being tall has anything to do with it.
Interesting. I'll bring that up. I always love to harass him about being fat

"I can make a scalpel sing, but that is my gift. The gift is not in my hands, for you see, I can play the notes [on a piano], but I can't make music."

~ Major Charles Emerson Winchester III
4077 M*A*S*H
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:59 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 04:59 PM #38 of 58
I do find it interesting that they don't have price differences for the lesser sizes as well.

Logically, wouldn't small shirts cost less than medium shirts, with this same logic? They don't though, they only increase the prices, for larger shirts.

There is a valid point on the issue of materials, but there is a bias here, like it or not. (Or perhaps just greediness, but both points suck)

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:21 PM #39 of 58
Finally, someone who understands my point. I can die happy (of a heart attack, according to the people in this thread).

Most amazing jew boots
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:59 PM #40 of 58
No, you're missing the point. There's no price differential for normal sizes because THEY'RE NORMAL. Look at a bell curve. Even with obesity running rampant, XXL is still in that skinny part on the edge. Those damn skinny emo boys do a fine job of balancing you out.

Most amazing jew boots
Lunar Seal
i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itsself

Member 12670

Level 9.15

Sep 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:28 PM #41 of 58
Originally Posted by JasonTerminator
I do find it interesting that they don't have price differences for the lesser sizes as well.

Logically, wouldn't small shirts cost less than medium shirts, with this same logic? They don't though, they only increase the prices, for larger shirts.

There is a valid point on the issue of materials, but there is a bias here, like it or not. (Or perhaps just greediness, but both points suck)
No, because most retail stores sell products based on demand.
In my store, we tend to have more XS-S sizes than large or XL because we don't get a lot of fatties in there. It's supply and demand.

Realistically, not that many people are as big as you are, and it takes a lot more fabric and time to make these clothes for you.

Either lose weight, find another store, or stick with paying the extra dough and shut up about it.

I could easily bitch about how stores overcharge me because I'm a size Small. Why should I have to pay the same price as some lardo? :aargh:

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:39 PM #42 of 58
The XS sizes disturb me almost as much as XXXL. Some of those look like they're made for freaky midget children born without ribcages, not actual adults.
Originally Posted by Lunar Seal
I could easily bitch about how stores overcharge me because I'm a size Small. Why should I have to pay the same price as some lardo?
Perhaps that's because your supply and demand model is inaccurate. If that were true then there would be small price variances between each size rather than one jump between XL and XXL.

Most amazing jew boots
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:06 PM #43 of 58
Originally Posted by Lunar Seal
In my store, we tend to have more XS-S sizes than large or XL because we don't get a lot of fatties in there. It's supply and demand.

Realistically, not that many people are as big as you are, and it takes a lot more fabric and time to make these clothes for you.
Where do you live, Midgetville? Around here at least, when clothes come in at the beginning of the season, there's an equal number of each shirt in all sizes (S-XXL). By the end of the season, when the remainder are being marked down, there are hardly any XXL left, a few XL, and lots of Medium and Small. Seems to me that would be the opposite of what you're describing.

What store are you talking about anyway? Something like American Eagle or Hollister (with their homoerotic models)? You're right, overweight people don't shop there, because if we really wanted to look trendy, we wouldn't spend $100 on clothes, we'd just lose weight.

Also, lol that hollister.com deals with incontinence supplies.

Nautilus
Exponential

Member 6767

Level 2.97

May 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:23 PM #44 of 58
If it bothers you that much, stop eating at Macdonalds. That way you'l save money on over priced shit food as well as saving cash on your clothes when you shed a few pounds.

Anyway, charging people more for unhealthy stuff is a tried and tested way to discourage them from doing it. That's why they tax the fuck out of cigarettes, in part to stop people smoking. If you have to pay more for monster sized clothes, maybe you'll think about getting some excersize.
This would be true only if people weren't addicted to stuff like cigarettes and alchohol. Cigarettes and alchohol are tremendously expensive to make and buy. The suppliers are being taxed by the government to produce cigarettes and in order to offset this cost, the supplier raises the price of cigarettes. Because people are ADDICTED to tobacco, they will pay the higher price no matter what.

Normally when price goes up supply and demand goes down, but for products like cigarettes and alchohol, this does not apply and the big companies win.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 11:30 AM #45 of 58
Where do you live, Midgetville? Around here at least, when clothes come in at the beginning of the season, there's an equal number of each shirt in all sizes (S-XXL). By the end of the season, when the remainder are being marked down, there are hardly any XXL left, a few XL, and lots of Medium and Small. Seems to me that would be the opposite of what you're describing.
Not here. Here the smals go first... and I have to settle for a medium, if ones available. Lots larges and an XL or two are always there.

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:01 AM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 02:01 PM #46 of 58
Originally Posted by Nautilus
This would be true only if people weren't addicted to stuff like cigarettes and alchohol. Cigarettes and alchohol are tremendously expensive to make and buy. The suppliers are being taxed by the government to produce cigarettes and in order to offset this cost, the supplier raises the price of cigarettes. Because people are ADDICTED to tobacco, they will pay the higher price no matter what.

Normally when price goes up supply and demand goes down, but for products like cigarettes and alchohol, this does not apply and the big companies win.
If fatty food isn't addictive to some extent, why are there so many fat fuckers around? It's not as if it's fashionable to be a lard-arse or anything is it.

Unas
Syklis Green

Member 11611

Level 8.84

Aug 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:20 AM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 02:20 PM #47 of 58
If fatty food isn't addictive to some extent, why are there so many fat fuckers around? It's not as if it's fashionable to be a lard-arse or anything is it.
Alot of them would also be comfort eaters and the like of that aswell, either way its just a lack of self control. I've always recalled there being a higher price on on larger clothes though, as in past the large size, I don't find this at all shocking, it makes sense to charge more

FELIPE NO
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:33 AM #48 of 58
I am a fattie. But I understand why stores do what they do.

It makes sense - even from a non-fattie point of view. XXL and so forth actually DO use a lot more fabric. I don't know how many of you folks out there do any sewing (very few, I would guess), but I can tell you that the difference in fabric use between a medium article of clothing and an XXL article of clothing is substantial.

The cost in maufacturing plus-size clothes is higher than that of manufacturing regularly sized clothing.

I am unsure if this is actually the case, but I imagine that would explain why the cost is different.

I don't wear XXL, believe it or not. But I can tell you that as a fattie, paying an extra $2 is not bad for a lot more fabric - even if you want something to just hang off of you, like a sweatshirt or whatever.

Most amazing jew boots
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:55 AM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 09:55 AM #49 of 58
I just want to mention a little something about the other side of the spectrum on this issue.

Why do all the giveaway shirts have to be size XL or huger? Free shirts from various events (like at school) or ones that come bundled with special video game/anime/dvd sets are usually way too huge for me, and often pre-shrunk.

What about the little people? ;_;

Most amazing jew boots
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:30 PM #50 of 58
Originally Posted by nazpyro
I just want to mention a little something about the other side of the spectrum on this issue.

Why do all the giveaway shirts have to be size XL or huger? Free shirts from various events (like at school) or ones that come bundled with special video game/anime/dvd sets are usually way too huge for me, and often pre-shrunk.

What about the little people? ;_;
It's free, what'd you expect? Put it in the dryer and shrink it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Want some more fries, chunky?