Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 72 Voting/WEEK 73 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:06 PM #1 of 56
Song of the Week - WEEK 72 Voting/WEEK 73 Nominating

Week 72 Voting is closed.
Week 73 Nominating is restricted.

Week 71 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Tracks:
Dark Reign The Future of War (Red Book Audio) - Track 6
IRIDION 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - Iridion II - See The Sun Burn
Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2)
Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge
Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - The T-Rex Cometh
Saturday Night Slam Masters (SNES Game Rip) - Contagion (King Rasta Mon)
Snatcher Policenauts Music Compilation of Hideo Kojima - Black Disc - 'Policenauts' End Title
Super Star Soldier (Game Rip) - Stage 1

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 71 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here are the links to the corresponding threads at the other forums:
- Soundtrack Central
- Chudah's Corner

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Oct 23, 2006 at 11:19 AM.
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:58 AM #2 of 56
3 points: Dark Reign The Future of War (Red Book Audio) - Track 6
1 point: Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge
1 point: Snatcher Policenauts Music Compilation of Hideo Kojima - Black Disc - 'Policenauts' End Title
1 point: Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2)

Every other track was very weak, especially 'Contagion', which was virtually unlistenable.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Shaolin Samurai; Oct 9, 2006 at 05:11 AM.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 03:52 AM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 01:52 AM #3 of 56
VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

Also, there were two glitches with this week's tracks, one minor and one pretty bad:

1). Saturday Night Slam Masters (SNES Game Rip) - Contagion (King Rasta Mon) was accidentally tagged with the album in the artist field and vice versa.

no one's going to give it points anyway, so that doesn't really matter in the long run

2). Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2) was not uploaded at all; in its place was Darkcomet72's nomination before he changed it, Hotdog Storm (Game Rip) - Stage 5. If you managed to get hold of the Hotdog Storm track, DO NOT LISTEN TO IT. Get the Metal Slug 6 one in its place.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 04:11 AM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 01:11 AM #4 of 56
I've been obsessing over the Metal Slug 6 soundtrack lately, and "Cliff and Cave" is one of my faves. Darkcomet72 made a great nom choice.

Double Post:
Fixed the links in orion_mk,'s post.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Oct 9, 2006 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 05:11 AM #5 of 56
Ah, in that case I will alter my point spread accordingly.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:15 AM #6 of 56
What! I DID upload Cliff & Cave shortly after I changed my nomination! Was it not in the nomination folder?

Oh well, glad you caught whatever happened without major damage.

EDIT: Oh hey it's week 72, I expect nothing less than quality this week

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Oct 9, 2006 at 09:05 AM.
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:45 AM #7 of 56
3 Points - Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge
2 Points - IRIDION 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - Iridion II - See The Sun Burn
1 point - Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2)

What happened to all the nominators? I go again next week already? Here's my next nom, I guess:

* Album: Dark Chronicle OST (PSF2 Rip)
* Artist: Tomohito Nishiura
* Composer: Tomohito Nishiura
* Track Title: Rainbow Butterfly Wood
* Source: http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/da...ost/index.html
* Disc Number: 1 (of 2)
* Track Number: 24
* Catalogue Number: SCDC-00243/4
* Year: 2003

It was between this and Sabatar from Grandia 3 OST, but that would probably run into popularity issues.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by KyleDunamis; Oct 9, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:55 AM #8 of 56
Sorry about the mix-up. I didn't know Darkcomet had changed his nom; the nomination queue still had Hotdog Storm listed.

Oh, and Kyle, your point spread formatting is a bit funny.

Most amazing jew boots
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:01 PM #9 of 56
Point spread fixed, must've messed up C&P'ing or something.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:22 PM #10 of 56
Sorry for the booboos; I probably should have checked the files I was given against the nomination list.

Dark Reign The Future of War (Red Book Audio) - Track 6 And interesting and darkly orchestral piece. It takes awhile to build up steam, but when the main melody appears, it's excellent. There's a bit more meandering than I'd like at the beginning and end, though.

IRIDION 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - Iridion II - See The Sun Burn A techno piece, which usually equals repetition. That's the case here, though it is more varied than some of the worst offenders I've heard.

Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2) Interesting piece, sort of a combination of Terranigma and Zelda stylings. Didn't exactly wow me, but good enough on its own terms.

Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge A schizo little piece that still rips off "Bippity-Boppity-Boo" like all other Pac-Man World tracks I've ever heard, though only briefly. I was a bit surprised at how dark and dissonant the piece became in its second half, even alluding to the stabbing "Psycho" strings. Not bad.

Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - The T-Rex Cometh Take 1 cup Jaws and mix with 2 cups Jurassic Park and salt to taste. This is one of the best tension/chase tracks I've come across, with the pounding drums and brass perfectly simulating mindless, relentless pursuit.

Saturday Night Slam Masters (SNES Game Rip) - Contagion (King Rasta Mon) Reminds me of Earthbound at its most off-the-wall. Interesting, yes, but also intentionally out of tune and out of synch, and therefore hard to listen to.

Snatcher Policenauts Music Compilation of Hideo Kojima - Black Disc - 'Policenauts' End Title I recognize the "doo-doos" from their appearance over the Konami logo in MGS, but the rest was new to me. The tune's as varied as one would expect from an end title; I enjoyed the tender section that emerged about a quarter of the way through, though the action material that followed didn't do much for me.

Super Star Soldier (Game Rip) - Stage 1 A nice if thoroughly vanilla synth piece.

Good week, but we really need to get some new nominators, or rouse the old ones from their slumber--this is the second time in three weeks I've had a track in the contest.

The Point Spread
King Kong - 3 pts.
Dark Reign - 1 pt.
Metal Slug - 1 pt.
Saturday Night Slam Masters - 1 (sympathy) pt.

How ya doing, buddy?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 03:38 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 01:38 PM #11 of 56
(a fable)

Once upon a time, there lived a young zookeeper. One day, he heard that, in a bigger zoo in a bigger city, there was an elephant who painted by picking up a paintbrush with his trunk.

"You know," he said to himself, "I bet that we could attract a lot more visitors to our zoo if we had a creative animal like that."

Since a painting had already been done, he instead decided to test his animals' musical aptitudes. He rented a piano, put it in a small room along with a monkey, and recorded the instrument's output. He then took the recording, clipped out the most interesting five minute passage, and shared it with one of his fellow zookeepers.

"I don't know about this," his coworker said. "This doesn't sound very good at all. I mean, the monkey ran aimlessly up and down the keyboard and jumped on random chords. And I think he even went into an epileptic seizure in the middle."

"You know, you're absolutely right. And I think I know exactly what to do to make this better."

So, the first zookeeper rented a second piano, put it and a second monkey in the same room with the first monkey and piano, and recorded anew.

And this is that song:
  • Artist: Twin Magic (Michitoshi Hirose, Kei Takanashi)
  • Composer: Michitoshi Hirose
  • Album/Game Title: Lost Passage Perfect Arrange Album
  • Track Title: Ruined Heart
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 8
  • Catalog Number: FSCG-85143
  • Year: 2003
  • Additional Information: Rejected because nominating a piano duet for Percussion Week would've been a bit of a cop-out.
  • Source(s): http://chudahs-corner.com/soundtrack...log=FSCG-85143

ALSO LET'S GET SOME MORE NOMINATORS PLEASE

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Oct 9, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 03:49 PM #12 of 56
I guess I'll nominate this, since I can't think of anything else to nominate right now, and I've already missed my week.

NOMINATION

Beatmania IIDX RED Original Soundtrack <dj Remo-Con> - [1.22] Fake Time

EDIT - and now for points! (also I heard the updated track, and am leaving my points as they are.)

2 points - IRIDION 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - Iridion II - See The Sun Burn
2 points - Snatcher Policenauts Music Compilation of Hideo Kojima - Black Disc - 'Policenauts' End Title
1 point - Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - The T-Rex Cometh
1 point - Super Star Soldier (Game Rip) - Stage 1

Last edited by TheKnightOfNee; Oct 11, 2006 at 04:19 PM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:05 PM #13 of 56
So-so week. Nothing really jumped out at me as being great, unfortunately.

No comments right now, as I've got a lot of studying to do.

2 pts. - Pinky's Revenge
1 pt. - Saturday Night Slam Masters - Contagion (King Rasta Mon) - A track you can't help but love, right? Not quite, but I did come to appreciate it. You have to get over the initial WTH? at the sick dog sounds, though.
1 pt. - Dark Reign - Track 6
1 pt. - Iridion II - See the Sun Burn
1 pt. - The T-Rex Cometh

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:42 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 02:42 AM #14 of 56
uhhhhhh

* Album: Wild Arms Music the Best -rocking heart-
* Artist: transquillo
* Composer: Michiko Naruke
* Track Title: Battle Force
* Source: http://www.gmronline.com/info.asp?CatNumber=KICA-1416
* Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
* Track Number: 06
* Catalogue Number: KICA-1416
* Year: 2006
* Yousendit link: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...143DCD1689E33B

ummmmmm

3 points - Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge
2 points - Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2)
1 point - Snatcher Policenauts Music Compilation of Hideo Kojima - Black Disc - 'Policenauts' End Title

Two things about this week. First, Pinky's Revenge is seriously my favorite thing in quite awhile to come out of SotW. Secondly, how has nobody yet pointed out that not only does End Title invoke Metal Gear Solid but the second half is freakin Suikoden. Confrontation with Monsters and Into a World of Illusion.

edit: oh yeah, and my song won last week, yay!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Oct 10, 2006 at 05:51 AM.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:32 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 12:32 PM #15 of 56
Here goes my next nomination...

* Album: Aegis PC gamerip (red book audio)
* Composer: Unknown/Software Sorcery
* Track Title: 05
* Source: I think that I downloaded it from Lenna's FTP server 1 thousend years ago. I also had the game, so I can confirm that the track's place is correct.
* Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
* Track Number: 05
* Year: 1994
- Comments: The mp3 I have is in a little low bitrate, so if someone has another version of it, I would appreciate if he could upload it.
- Localization: I will upload it to the server after posting this message.

... and the point spreading!

3 points - Dark Reign The Future of War (Red Book Audio) - Track 6

1 point - Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2)

2 points - Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge

By the way, I'd love if someone could upload the full Dark Reign gamerip to yousendit, as I loved this game before losing it. Could someone make it, please?

FELIPE NO
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:51 AM #16 of 56
Originally Posted by ikkei
By the way, I'd love if someone could upload the full Dark Reign gamerip to yousendit, as I loved this game before losing it. Could someone make it, please?
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ptnguyen/...Game%20Rip.rar

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:12 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 02:12 PM #17 of 56
This will probably be my most recently dated nom, and it's still a chiptune.
  • Composer: Samieru (GR3 Project)
  • Album/Game Title: LA-MULANA (Game Rip)
  • Track Title: Mr. Explorer
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 3
  • Catalog Number: NA
  • Year: 2005
  • Additional Information: The tracks on the site were originally MIDs. I'm going to upload the SSCC recording for the track, as it has that more authentic MSX sound. You can switch between both versions in the game, by the way.
  • Source(s): http://naramura.kdn.ne.jp/msx3/g3project/ (track listing and composer for each can be found here.)
This week's comments/votes will follow shortly.

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:17 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 08:17 PM #18 of 56
Originally Posted by CHz
ALSO LET'S GET SOME MORE NOMINATORS PLEASE
Quoted for the truth and seconded (or thirded). Maybe I should start a PM recruitment rampage and drive everyone crazy. Wait, that'll just chase away potential nominators. Dilemma. (But seriously, I'm considering asking some past SotW participants to return)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I think therefore I am... I think.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:59 AM #19 of 56
Not the most impressive week.

3 Points - Policenauts End Title
1 Point - See the Sun Burn
1 Point - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2)
1 Point - Stage 1

T-Rex Cometh was far too short and uninteresting. Track 6 is precisely the sort of pseudo-military tune that puts me to sleep. Contagion was like daggers to the ear (Sorry, Chz, but it IS.) Pinky's Revenge's purposefully out-of-tune nature drove me up the wall and caused me to want to smack someone.

I'll put up another nomination as soon as I can decide upon one.

Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
Secondly, how has nobody yet pointed out that not only does End Title invoke Metal Gear Solid but the second half is freakin Suikoden.
I understand how you could see it this way, but as far as I know, Policenauts was released before either of those games, making "End Titles" the original and causing the others to be perceived more as imitators.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:36 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 09:36 AM #20 of 56
It was hard for me to decide which track on the two Under Defeat albums to choose, so I just went by gut instinct of what I like the most:

=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album Title: Under Defeat -Extended Tracks-
* Artist: Shinji Hosoe
* Track Title: tears which died
* Source: #gamemp3s
* File Location: nominations folder (currently uploading)
* Disc Number: only 1
* Track Number: 05
* Catalogue Number: T-46704M
* Year: 2006

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:49 PM #21 of 56
You know, I just realized that the version of "T-Rex Cometh" that was put up is truncated? Figures that I only listened to the first few seconds of my own nom to make sure it loaded right, but...man! This version just fades off into nothingness before the best part of the song!

It's probably too late in the game to change things, but here's the correct file.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:19 PM #22 of 56
Oh, no! That stinks. :-/

I'll be sure to give the full version a listen and change my votes if necessary.

How ya doing, buddy?

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:55 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 12:55 PM #23 of 56
Originally Posted by Shaolin Samurai
Thanks! After hearing to them again, I've seen that your nomination was the best from the pack

FELIPE NO
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:16 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 03:16 PM #24 of 56
Time to vote!

Dark Reign The Future of War (Red Book Audio) - Track 6
Majestic, and it reminds me a lot of Dune music. Some parts were pretty lowkey though.

IRIDION 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - Iridion II - See The Sun Burn
Quite atmospheric synth piece. It also had a nostalgic vibe going. Loved it.

Metal Slug ~Complete Sound BOX~ - Cliff and Cave (Mission 1-2)
Solid, though nothing that I'd pay attention to while in the game. Just what I would expect from most Metal Slug music anyways.

Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge
Quirky, fun and gave me a bit of a chuckle there. I thoroughly enjoyed.

Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game of the Movie (Game Rip) - The T-Rex Cometh
Well, the longer version was better. Still a bit bland for my tastes.

Saturday Night Slam Masters (SNES Game Rip) - Contagion (King Rasta Mon)
I completely dismissed this track when I first heard it. But then I gave it a few more listens, and it's pretty cool actually. Weird, but cool. And a close runner-up.

Snatcher Policenauts Music Compilation of Hideo Kojima - Black Disc - 'Policenauts' End Title
The beginning was decent, but it lost me halfway through. It was like two completely different songs fused together.

Super Star Soldier (Game Rip) - Stage 1
Another one of my chiptunes I enjoy. Although not the best in its league, I pretty much like the melody, with the different layers of sound and the softer parts in between.

--The Points Spread--

(2 points) IRIDION 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - Iridion II - See The Sun Burn
(2 points) Pac-Man World 2 (Game Rip) - Pinky's Revenge
(1 point) Dark Reign The Future of War (Red Book Audio) - Track 6
(1 point) Super Star Soldier (Game Rip) - Stage 1

Last edited by Duck King; Oct 11, 2006 at 08:19 AM.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:32 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 11:32 PM #25 of 56
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
You know, I just realized that the version of "T-Rex Cometh" that was put up is truncated? Figures that I only listened to the first few seconds of my own nom to make sure it loaded right, but...man! This version just fades off into nothingness before the best part of the song!

It's probably too late in the game to change things, but here's the correct file.
Oh no, that would be my fault. I got the track from the game's website (didn't know where else to get the track from at the time). Sorry! Ok, will be more meticulous next time and throw in more quality control measures.

Will do a CHz:

VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

The version of "The T-Rex Cometh" in the first post is a shortened version of the intended nomination. PLEASE LISTEN TO THE INTENDED VERSION LINKED FIVE POSTS UP INSTEAD (post #21).

How ya doing, buddy?
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Oct 11, 2006 at 10:40 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 72 Voting/WEEK 73 Nominating