Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Sushi Thread - ARIGATO!

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:00 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 09:00 AM #26 of 62
For the record, "sushi" doesn't necessarily mean "raw fish." Sushi just consists of vinagered rice combined with fish, meat, or some sort of topping/filling that can be cooked or raw. So while you could try to make the typical block of rice + slice of raw fish, you could also make a roll of some sort filled with vegetables/cooked ingredients.

As for the rice, well, rice steamers are everywhere, at least in most Asian households. To make sushi rice though, I think you're supposed to use a certain type of rice grain (short grains or something) as well as rice vinegar, not just your generic white rice. No clue on the rice balls, though I'd like to learn how to make them cuz they look so simple.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:21 AM #27 of 62
Quote:
So why don't more Americans do it?
I guess because, like you, most people are apprehensive. I've been considering doing it myself for a while, but I don't know if it's economical to buy big cuts of fish.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:29 AM #28 of 62
Originally Posted by Minion
I guess because, like you, most people are apprehensive. I've been considering doing it myself for a while, but I don't know if it's economical to buy big cuts of fish.
I'd wonder about that, too. (Good) fish is so expensive! Also, you're right about the health benefits of fish. Don't even get me started.

I prefer mine cooked, though. =/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:51 AM #29 of 62
Originally Posted by AliceNWondrland
I'd wonder about that, too. (Good) fish is so expensive! Also, you're right about the health benefits of fish. Don't even get me started.

I prefer mine cooked, though. =/
You would, wouldn't you, you sly little vixen.

You don't like sushi? You should try steak tartar.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:54 AM #30 of 62
Do you mean like a salmon steak? Or do you mean beef? Because I think I could totally throw down on some raw beef.

I've never actually tried sushi, only sashimi...HATED it. Ask Minion.

Most amazing jew boots
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:03 PM #31 of 62
Do you mean like a salmon steak? Or do you mean beef? Because I think I could totally throw down on some raw beef.
Raw beef is actually super awesome. Its not HALF as bad as people think it is.

Whats a salmon steak? You mean just a slab of salmon? I am not so fond of salmon, to be honest. Kinda too fishy-tasting for me.

TROUT, though. Woooo.

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:03 PM #32 of 62
Quote:
I've never actually tried sushi, only sashimi...HATED it. Ask Minion.
You went into it hating it, though. I would've been shocked if you liked it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:06 PM #33 of 62
Well, that's true enough.

Sass, a boneless filet of fish is sometimes referred to as a "steak." You never did explain what steak tartar is, though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:32 PM #34 of 62
Well, that's true enough.

Sass, a boneless filet of fish is sometimes referred to as a "steak." You never did explain what steak tartar is, though.
O, I'm sorry.

Quote:
Raw finely chopped or ground beef served with onion, seasonings, and raw egg. Also called tartare steak.
If you're willing to try some raw meat, its probably the best way to go. I have this horrible habit, however, to eat raw meat right out of the butcher. I was raised on khema (chee kufta) - an Armenian dish.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 02:31 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 02:31 PM #35 of 62
Just wondering, was this thread inspired by the SNL skit?

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 04:12 PM #36 of 62
Returning to Minion's question about why it is not common for people to prepare sushi on their own:
I believe another reason is the fact that sushi-grade fish is more expensive than the regular fish you get at the supermarket. If memory serves correctly, there are only a few specialized farms and locations that fish, untainted by various wastes, can be procured. If you just make sashimi from the fish you get at the grocery store, you take several risks with various pathogens and wastes that the fish store.
Salmon specifically has a problem with waste retention. The fat in salmon is basically a huge reservoir for all the chemical wastes that it consumes.
And since obviously there is little demand, it does not look like sushi-grade fish operations are going to lower their costs that much.
Not to mention that since there is low demand, many shops just don't stock the stuff.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:17 PM #37 of 62
I have this theory that sashimi is actually safer than regular fish because of the strict quality control standards it undoubtedly has to pass.

Do you know if fish that is used for sushi is safe from mercury?

I was speaking idiomatically.
xuemin
Syklis Green

Member 248

Level 8.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:20 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 08:20 PM #38 of 62
Originally Posted by Sakabadger
As for the rice, well, rice steamers are everywhere, at least in most Asian households. To make sushi rice though, I think you're supposed to use a certain type of rice grain (short grains or something) as well as rice vinegar, not just your generic white rice. No clue on the rice balls, though I'd like to learn how to make them cuz they look so simple.
for rice balls (onigiri) you use the same rice as you do with sushi, just that you can mix it with furikaki (flavoured toppings) or sesame seeds or whatever you want and mold it into balls, triangles, cubes, cylinders etc, either by hand or using onigiri molds, and then wrap some nori around it so it doesn't stick to your hands when you eat it. you can also put various fillings inside, umeboshi (picked apricots), tuna mayo, chicken mayo whatever you feel like.

you can use long grain rice for sushi, but i heard someone say that it's not as sticky as short grain and so doesn't hold together well, as well as grains sticking out awkwardly. also, you use sushi-so, which is a combination of sake, rice vinegar and sugar i believe but you can buy the stuff pre-made these days or in powder form.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:21 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 05:21 PM #39 of 62
Originally Posted by Minion
I have this theory that sashimi is actually safer than regular fish because of the strict quality control standards it undoubtedly has to pass.

Do you know if fish that is used for sushi is safe from mercury?
I am not sure really. I would think that it is, but probably depends on where the fish comes from. However, I am not entirely privvy to all of the details behind sushi-grade fish, but I cannot say with any certainty.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:31 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 11:31 PM #40 of 62
For anyone who really wants to taste what sushi is, i recomend going to a japanese (althought one of the best places in sweden is owned by Filipinos) place that only has sushi. and ask the chef if you can watch when they make it, it's a experience.
Also dont buy pre-made sushi from supermarkets, you might not feel any diffrence the first time, but when you start to eat more sushi you realize that it's pure shit.

For me I had ate it so much that it lost it's touch. So im building that "hype" up before i waste lots of money on unagi, toro, ika and all the other taste bombs.

no homo
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:39 PM #41 of 62
LoL. Sushi elitists. Now I've seen everything.

Hey, I got news for y'all. It doesn't matter what the hell kind of rice you use, as long as it sticks, ok.

Also, wrapped or pre-packaged sushi is the same damn thing as sushi that is served right in front of you. Maybe y'all should stop buying sushi from Shop-Rite.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 05:46 PM #42 of 62
Has Megalith always typed with a slight southern drawl... y'all?

Son of Wiseness
Chocobo

Member 367

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 05:01 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 04:01 PM #43 of 62
Love sushi with wasabi.

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 06:06 PM Local time: Mar 17, 2006, 01:06 AM #44 of 62
so you love all sushi :P?
Megafag is just sad that chinese people cant make good sushi.

How ya doing, buddy?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:04 PM #45 of 62
Does anyone know where I can get a good sashimi reference? Like, with pictures and stuff.

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:33 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 07:33 PM #46 of 62
http://www.foodsubs.com/Rice.html#glutinous%20rice

There's a description of the kind of rice you would want for making sushi/rice balls/azn stuff. If you can't get ahold of that, short grained should do the job. If you want to make rice stickier than it normally comes out, try putting it in a pot with a little more water than is called for and cook it for a little less time that recommended. I usually do that to keep my jambalaya from drying out while sitting in the fridge as leftovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice#Cultivars

There's another site you can check out to read about some different kinds of rice.

And, to the thread's subject itself, I've had sushi a few times and didn't really enjoy it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:46 PM #47 of 62
I love sushi, but i grew up on the stuff, so that's a given. Although im not crazy enough to even dream of touching fugu, whoever does IMO are nutcases.

Unagi is were it's at.

FELIPE NO

[ "Talisman" ]
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:54 PM #48 of 62
I love pretty much all sushi. My favorite is spicy shrimp/salmon/tuna rolls. I love the spicy stuff. I could eat any of the other rolls, too.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:07 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 11:07 PM #49 of 62
For you sushi lovers...

Sushi's not really an everyday food for me; there's supermarket-quality and then there's eating at a real sushi bar... big difference. The earlier being lunch for couple days a week, the latter being for special occasions.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:03 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 12:03 AM #50 of 62
I don't eat sushi much. If I ever go to sit-down restaurants that have it available (read: buffets), I may get some. I'm not a sushi aficianado; I only like the most basic wrap with the fish and the rice, aka plain. I stay away from anything containing more vegetables and "stuff."

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Sushi Thread - ARIGATO!