Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:16 PM #526 of 800
First of all, there's no chance in hell that DoC won't at least break even with Square, if not sell in truckloads; it has the words "Final Fantasy VII" and "Playstation 2" in the same sentence. It's a franchise, and far worse franchise spin-offs have sold well despite any crappy reviews.

Secondly, SE has said many times that BC will come here as soon as our mobile phones update; they've been tossing english screenshots around forever now.

Thirdly, Xenosaga, unfortunately, never meets Namco's expectations saleswise. And I personally find the decision to not bring the DS game over here quite stupid, especially when they could let Nintendo or someone else handle the localization.

And forthly, almost everything FF-related always turns a profit, even if you only factor in Japanese sales.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:57 PM #527 of 800
As soon as our cell phones update? update with what? and any idea when it could be?

FELIPE NO
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:05 AM #528 of 800
when our cellphone here will be powerful enough to handle the game ...

and there's probably not enough people that have a 300$ cellphone that handle the game to make a good profit...

Most amazing jew boots
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:13 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 12:13 PM #529 of 800
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but did SE bother to include the Japanese voice acting in the US version of DoC along with the English dub?

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 02:13 PM #530 of 800
When has SE ever done that? A better question would be if they dubbed over Gactk's vocal songs.

I left the torrent on while I slept, but it's only at 25%. Damn seeders. Hopefully it'll pick up today.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
randomwab
Aquila Jama 'oca

Member 494

Level 14.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 07:23 PM #531 of 800
I left mind on till about 5am when I couldn't sleep cause the computer. It's been on since about 12am today and is at 51%

What they did with Gackt's theme song is something i'm wondering. He can sing in English, and in the intro they showed in the gamespot review which included ALL english version footage, it said "Theme Song - Gackt" so my guess is he is still in there with an English version of Redemption.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Welcome to Silent Hill
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 11:23 AM #532 of 800
I saw the comercial for it last night and the song playing in the background sounded Japanese, so they're probably fine.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 02:30 PM #533 of 800
Been playing for a little bit so far and its awesome.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 12:32 PM #534 of 800
I just saw one of the phones that MIGHT be able to play Before Crisis today on the bus, the swivel kind I mean.

The thing is: Japan is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the rest of the world in terms of general technology, and specifically Cellphones. So while we're just NOW getting streaming video (Over Verizon's V-Cast) for the 3G Spectrum, its the same kind of network that DoCoMo Corp. uses for moble phone games, such as Crisis Core, as well as the DoC 'Lost Episode'.

The More You Know.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 09:11 PM #535 of 800
Originally Posted by Cyrus XIII
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but did SE bother to include the Japanese voice acting in the US version of DoC along with the English dub?
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
When has SE ever done that? A better question would be if they dubbed over Gactk's vocal songs.

I left the torrent on while I slept, but it's only at 25%. Damn seeders. Hopefully it'll pick up today.
Any verdict by someone with first hand experience? I think it's unlikely too, but seeing that the game is pretty much a story vehicle on the heels of Advent Children someone at SquareEnix might have considered it a good idea to let the western audience chose from both dubs (along the lines of the movie's DVD release).

FELIPE NO
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:38 PM #536 of 800
Well in the begining it's just a instrumental song with showing the credits, but it does say Main Theme by Gackt in the credits for the U.S. ver.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
randomwab
Aquila Jama 'oca

Member 494

Level 14.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 04:32 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 09:32 PM #537 of 800
Redemption played during the end credits in the Japenese version, with his other song, Longing, playing during gameplay abit before the end.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Welcome to Silent Hill
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:34 PM #538 of 800
why is it so hard to believe they left "Suteki da ne" in japanese in FFX why they can't do it again ...

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
When has SE ever done that?
I can think of only one game "the Bouncer" and probably because the game is so short that there was enough space for them XD

Last edited by Inhert; Aug 16, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:38 PM #539 of 800
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger
Been playing for a little bit so far and its awesome.
I don't know what game you're playing.

I work at Gamestop, and we can check games out for a couple days. So I did it with this one, since I sure wasn't buying it. Seriously, it's like the most generic shooter ever. The levels boil down to running forward while tapping the R button when an enemy appears. It's honestly like a bad rail shooter. Also the crosshair is friggin huge. It like takes up a quarter of the screen when you have the gun out. Camera sucks too. The story is boring me so far as well. I'm going to try to fly through it in the few days I have it, but I don't know if i can handle that much mediocrity in such a short span of time. Also, what is it with Cait Sith's Scottish accent all of a sudden? Where the hell did this come from? He had it in Advent Children too, but I don't recall him using any Scottish terms in FF7. Whatever.

About the only thing good in the game is the graphics and the music. Oh, and Yuffie's short shorts. Should have just made the entire game a FMV of Yuffie bending down to pick stuff up while Hamauzu music plays. At least then I could have jerked off to the game, and I wouldn't feel my time would be completely wasted.

Also no Japanese language option.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:45 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 10:45 PM #540 of 800
Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku
I work at Gamestop, and we can check games out for a couple days. So I did it with this one, since I sure wasn't buying it.
Uh, aren't we supposed to wait one week after the game's release before we can check out new games? Sheesh -- your manager's gonna get in deep shit if your DM sees that.

Anywho, I have the game pre-ordered as well and picked it up today. I'm enjoying it so far, but it is a pretty generic shooter -- kinda like a third-person Black. I've found that I enjoy running around in first-person slightly more, and melee attacks thus far are pretty weak. You end up wasting a good portion of your health just to get close enough.

Point in hand, short-range weapons (i.e. the red targetting reticle doesn't appear until fairly up-close) are useless as well, as you save only a slight bit more health compared to running up and going melee. Thus far, the stratgey's been to use the long range barrell minus the sniper scope, as it zooms in too far too quickly, and the draw distances don't really allow for sniping, since the enemies don't actually appear on-screen until you can target them with the long range barrell. :/

However, all of this negativity toward Dirge of Cerberus doesn't mean I regret buying the game -- FF7 fans will get a kick out of it, since it does have cool cutscenes and having a new plot to work through is entertaining to say the least. Graphically, this game's also very impressive, both in-game and cutscenes. SE must've spent a lot of money on the animation and CG teams. Just wish they would've spent a bit more in the gameplay department.

Long story short, don't expect Dirge of Cerberus to do for third-person shooters what Final Fantasy 7 did for RPGs. If that's what you're expecting, might as well not buy the game. But if you're looking for a decent third-person shooter, it's not so bad.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:03 PM #541 of 800
Quote:
Uh, aren't we supposed to wait one week after the game's release before we can check out new games? Sheesh -- your manager's gonna get in deep shit if your DM sees that.
I haven't heard that rule, and I don't care. Three people checked it out today. We had a ton of extra copies.

Taking the game back tomorrow anyway. I don't even want it in my house anymore.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:24 AM #542 of 800
Yeah, I've only burned this game, and I'm glad I did. I'm heading into EB to get back my $5 pre-order tomorrow.

Not to suggest that this game is horrible, or that it's completely unplayable. However, it lacks "fun." I'm personally playing on "hard" mode, just to mention. It does get a bit challenging, but it's usually due to lack of ammo (then switch guns), or lack of health (because they limit you to only 2 hi-potions at a time and regular potions are useless).

It's a shame, but then again, I could care less for Vincent's storyline. I didn't really see much depth there in the original story, and all of this game's plot is just made-up stuff retconned into his past.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:00 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 01:00 AM #543 of 800
I'll have to disagree -- now that I'm further along into it, I'm having a lot more fun. There are more enemies, and the emphasis of looking around corners has been heightened severely compared to the first few hours.

I just completed running through and protecting the WRO headquarters. The only detraction I really have with the game at this point deals with the difficulty. It's not necessarily challenging per se`, rather, the lack of being able to carry any significant amount of useful items is bothersome. Having to rely solely on one Phoenix Down or two Hi-Potions is a little absurd. Granted, I suppose that's all Vincent can actually carry on him, but still.

Outside of that, I'm having fun. Actually had a little trouble putting it down tonight, heh.

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:29 AM #544 of 800
Seeders finally picked up, so it'll be ready in about 3 hours. I'll get to try it tommorow and give any impressions afterwards.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:50 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 10:50 AM #545 of 800
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Granted, I suppose that's all Vincent can actually carry on him, but still.
Now you know why only 3-5 characters where available for battle in the main series. The rest had to look out for a flock of carrier chocobos.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:42 AM #546 of 800
Well I can confirm Redepmtion does play at the end because at the 2nd to last level they played the other Gackt song which was quite cool. I am at the very end and loved the game. I still have extra hard mode, 40 extra missions, and all the unlocking of cutscenes to do.

randomwab
Aquila Jama 'oca

Member 494

Level 14.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:02 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 03:02 PM #547 of 800
Well, I loved the original release so i'm guessing i'll love this, especially now I can understand the menus. Was Gackt's songs in English or Japenese?

Welcome to Silent Hill
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:12 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 04:12 PM #548 of 800
Japanese with a few English phrases thrown in.

Btw, my initial question did not concern those songs but solely the characters' voices. I'd very much appreciate a straightforward answer.

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:02 AM #549 of 800
What was it again, if the game had jpn and american audio? If so then no, just american voices.

Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:01 PM #550 of 800
Quote:
Not to suggest that this game is horrible, or that it's completely unplayable. However, it lacks "fun."
Exactly. It's just plain mediocre. I could see maybe checking it out for like $20, if you really like FFVII. But at full price the game is a complete ripoff. Nothing is broken, but it's just so generic. It's like they just wrapped a FFVII setting around a shooter template.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread