Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:04 PM #1801 of 3592
The Ninja Gaiden pics just look like pumped up version of NG Black for the XB. But the game has only started development for the PS3 and isn't going to be released until around summer '07 I think I heard in a developer interview at GameTrailers. So there's lots of time to do more. It doesn't look bad, it just looks like a 360 game right now. (Ohhhhh... burn)(probably hear some ranting about that one, ah... it was worth it)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:07 PM #1802 of 3592
Here's some 1080p shots of Ninja Gaiden, easily not 56k friendly:

How ya doing, buddy?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:26 PM #1803 of 3592
Maybe you should spoiler tag the insanely huge pics. Anyway, those are some stunning shots of Ryu, demons, guns, bikes, and boobs Racheal.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:32 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 09:32 PM #1804 of 3592
Spoiler tag doesn't keep the photos from loading, actually. It just doesn't display them. If you're that concerned, thumbnail 'em. I'd just leave them as is though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:36 PM #1805 of 3592
Ok, now this is ridiculous. People are camping out just to play the kiosks/set ups that are already going up in Best Buys.

Quote:
After strolling into my Best Buy today i noticed a line and that could have only meant one thing. The PS3 kiosk was there? No, not till tommorow, but there was already a line forming outside the store to see the newly setup kiosk area. I have never seen this kind of reaction, not even for the 360.

This is where the kiosk will display. Sorry for the bad quality, i had to be quick with the camera phone.

This is the area where the games will be displayed. Notice the space to right, all the original shelving was taken down for the new display. You can see this display in the back right of the top picture.

The media manager at my Best Buy kept reasuring everyone that the PS3 WOULD BE PLAYABLE the next morning. I will be one of the 20 people already camping out right now. Im writing this on my laptop as I sit out here with the rest of the PS3 boys. Thank god for wireless. More to come soon!

"You can pay 50 bucks a year to play online with them, or you can play for free with us." - Sony Spokesperson, TGS 2006
Quote:
Best Buy near me completely redid their video game section and I noticed a big empty spot not unlike where the standee in the pictures was positioned. But they didn't have anything up yet. They also moved the 360 away from the nice La-Z-Boys to the *back* of the game section (wow).

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 17, 2006 at 10:40 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:44 PM #1806 of 3592
Quote:
Spoiler tag doesn't keep the photos from loading, actually. It just doesn't display them. If you're that concerned, thumbnail 'em. I'd just leave them as is though.
I stand corrected. Learn something new each day.

Camping out just for the demo kiosks, now that is just ridiculous. Regardless, I'll be sure to call my BB on Friday to see if they have theirs set up. Even if I don't get a chance to play it, it'll be a treat just to watch it in action (assuming the idiot taking the turn knows how to play, and usually that isn't the case).

Did you hear that they're going to leave the Wiimotes wireless? This is going to cause some big problems. Scratched DS screens is one thing, but losing the chance to play it at all because some douche ran off with the remote is even worse.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:00 PM #1807 of 3592
Yeah, i heard about the Wii situation. They'll find a way to keep them tethered to the display, though.

Anyway, here's 3 more screens of the XMB in action. This time it looks like it's ripping audio tracks from a CD.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 17, 2006 at 11:06 PM.
immp
Hortus Ortus Vinco

Member 584

Level 15.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:17 PM #1808 of 3592
DIE 56k modems! You dont belong in this thread!

*left confused by the kitty pictures*

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:20 PM #1809 of 3592
Yeah, I just found out that the second batch of screens shows the PS3 ripping tracks from a CD onto the HDD. The second screen shows the bitrate to choose, though I don't know if this happens before or after the first screen.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:31 PM #1810 of 3592
God, I hope that means you can customize the game soundtracks. I also hope this means you can customize the PS3 menu sounds. I'd love to be able to add as many menu themes as I want.

What the heck is going on in that movie player?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:33 PM #1811 of 3592
I'm pretty sure it's the movie Fifth element...if that's what you wanted to know XD

anyway I really like that XMB, I have a psp and I think it was the ebst solution to go for that for the ps3 too

and I really like the feature for showing digital photo^^

Last edited by Inhert; Oct 17, 2006 at 11:38 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:37 PM #1812 of 3592
Yup, that's the "chase scene" towards the beginning of the movie. One of my favorite parts of that film, that's for sure.

However, the BR transfer for the movie is terrible. Definitely stick with the Superbit version and upscale.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:43 PM #1813 of 3592
That movie's had a ton of re-releases, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they released a "real" BR edition; within the year, at that.

I'd be happy if they at least showed various clips from movies in a BR demo disc, though, same as the games.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:23 AM #1814 of 3592
Here's some screens of that e-distribution game, Criminal Crackdown:

Gamers Day videos:

Full Auto 2 - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/825/825014/vids_1.html

Virtua Fighter 5 - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/641/641054/vids_1.html

Sonic the Hedgehog - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/770/770960/vids_1.html

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 18, 2006 at 06:25 AM.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:15 AM #1815 of 3592
Quote:
His publishing company estimates that PS3 sales will total 34 million, trumping a guesstimated 28 Xbox 360 units sold and 25 million Wii sales by 2009. Yup, Famitsu has also picked Nintendo's Wii as the next gen loser.
Source

Even if it sounds like a legitimate statistic, it doesn't seem to likely to me since the PS2 was about 30 million units about 3 years out, I don't see the PS3 selling more than the PS2 at the same time, considering a higher price tag. I'm trying not to be biased, but is this realistic?

FELIPE NO
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:39 AM #1816 of 3592
I don't know how people think that they can predict the future. It all has to do with the titles that come out over the years after launch. The launch of something is only a piece of the puzzle to unlocking success. In my eyes any of the consoles can "lose" at this point... as far as sales goes. If the PS3 has as many good titles as the PS2 it may sell more then the other two, but because Nintendo is making profit right from launch on all Wii products including the system I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii has the most profit earned five years from now. (as long as it has a more consistant release schedule then the GC did which gave up two years ago).

Also while I think the PS3 will most likely overtake the 360, because the Wii is cheap, one of a kind (sorta), and marketed as your secondary system, in theory as long as it connects well with the user base it should have more units sold then either the 360 or the PS3... though not quite Next-gen you can decide later as to what it's actually won five years from now, lol. (Hey you won the console war against no competators... good for you Nintendo)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 18, 2006 at 09:41 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:16 PM #1817 of 3592
It's as simple as this: The Games. period. If Sony simply keeps delivering the old favorites along with new titles, people will buy the machine. The vast majority of casuals will likely pass over the other two in favor of "the next playstation" due to their experiences with the machine for two gens.

Of course, the price will slow sales considerably in post-Holiday times, so they may have to deal with the inevitable lagging demand because of it.

Anyone know what a 'Package File' is?

PS3 Functionality explored

It looks like some of the Japanese press has received PS3s and they've gone at the thing throwing everything they can think of. Connecting external storage devices via USB has already been confirmed, even so, there's quite a bit left to test.

Quote:
October 18, 2006 - Leading up to the 11/11 Japanese PS3 release, the Japanese gaming press has taken delivery of PS3 demo units. Included in the lucky bunch is the multimedia division of Impress Watch, whose editorial staff was good enough to put together a feature detailing the PS3's multimedia playback.

We previously described most of the functionality available from the PS3's Cross Media Bar (XMB) interface. Impress offers a few new details. Selecting the "Display Settings" icon from the settings menu gives you access to a menu for chosing your display connection. You can select from "Component or D Cable," "Composite or S-Video," and "AV Multi or SCART." The system displays clear images indicating which plug is which, so beginners shouldn't have too much trouble in getting set up.

The PS3 is capable of selecting resolution for you automatically. However, if you want to select your own resolution, you can chose from 480p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p and "custom." We're not sure what the last one is just yet.

You also have full control over the form of audio that the PS3 outputs. From the Audio Output section of the menu, you can select from Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and AAC, as well as Linear PCM with 2ch, 5.1ch and 7.1ch available in 44.1kHz, 88.2kHz, 48kHz and 192kHz. You can also set this to automatic in case you're not interested in the details. You have three audio cable options available: HDMI, optical and AV Multi.

To set up Blu-Ray playback, you go into the BD/DVD section of the settings menu. Here, you can select the disk's menu language and the default audio and subtitle languages, which isn't anything new if you've used a PSP or one of the Japanese-only PSX systems before.

Good news for those worried about the slow start-up times with current next generation optical disc players. The PS3 loads up a Blu-Ray movie fast. Impress sampled the US version of Fifth Element (Japan won't take shipment of its first commercial Blu-Ray movies until early November) and found that the PS3 took less than 10 seconds to start up the disc after it had been selected from the video section of the Cross Media Bar.

Incidentally, there seems to be a slight difference between when you insert a game disc and a Blu-Ray disc into the PS3. When you put in a Blu-Ray disc, you have to select the disc from the video menu in order to begin playback. With game discs, the system automatically starts playback. The Impress article didn't make mention of a menu option for switching automatic playback for game discs off.

Startup as a whole seems to be pretty quick for the PS3. Impress reports that the time from powering up the system to the appearance of the Sony Computer Entertainment logo is about 10 seconds. Following that, it's another 2 to 3 seconds before the XMB appears. You only see the PlayStation logo when playing games.

Impress describes the PS3's Blu-Ray playback as "simple." The site reports no problems with pop-up menus and other Blu-Ray disc features.

The PS3 is capable of more than just Blu-Ray playback. It's also capable of playing back video directly from the hard disk. Impress was able to play a 1920 x 1080 MPEG2 from hard disk. It's unclear at this point if users will be able to play back VC-1 and H.264 encoded files from the hard disk, although these high powered codecs are, of course, playable from Blu-Ray discs.

In addition to video playback, Impress was also able to sample the PS3's music features. The system can rip CDs to MP3, AAC and ATRAC3 formats, allowing for bit rates of up to 352 kbps. The PS3 is also capable of going online to read into the AMG music database in order to get track information.

One of the cool things about multimedia playback is that the PS3 can play back external files. By connecting a PSP to the PS3 via USB, the music, movies and images that are on the Memory Stick loaded into the PSP become accessible from the video, music and photo menus on the PS3. It's unclear if this is the case when the two systems are communicating via Wi-Fi.

Impress wasn't able to get details on the mysterious "Remote Play" icon from the XMB menu, which promised some sort of PSP connectivity. However the latest issue of Famitsu hints that you'll be able to use this option to enjoy your PS3's movies and music on your PSP. A PSP update is set to coincide with the launch of the PS3, and should make this area a bit clearer.

Another mysterious icon in the PS3 Cross Media Bar is found in the system settings section. The menu has an option labeled "Other System Install," whose function is currently unknown. Linux, maybe?

These are just a few of the PS3's features that remain in the dark at this point. We hope to get clarification leading up to launch or, at the very latest, once we've sampled retail units for ourselves on 11/11.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 18, 2006 at 04:56 PM.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:51 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 09:51 PM #1818 of 3592
The more PS3 screenshots I see, the more I'm wondering how in hell you're supposed to read those tiny fonts on a regular TV. It's impossible!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:52 PM #1819 of 3592
Originally Posted by SCHWARZE-3
The more PS3 screenshots I see, the more I'm wondering how in hell you're supposed to read those tiny fonts on a regular TV. It's impossible!
They won't be that small on a regular TV, mostly due to the lower resolution.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:56 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 09:56 PM #1820 of 3592
So everything will just be bigger on a regular TV? I'm wondering how they're going to pull this off for games and the browser, for example.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:58 PM #1821 of 3592
I swear, I'm trying not to get too fanboyish with these updates, but when I read more and more of all the near-endless features this system contains, I can't help but lose some of my composure.

What I wonder now, is if by setting up the video and audio options on the system means that those options will carry over to every PS3 game you'll play. It would be nice to never have to manually configure each game to suit your setup preferences if they're all loaded from the system.

I'm a bit perplexed by the HDMI Audio option. I thought the PS3 only had one HDMI output, so how are you supposed to hook up an additional one to your home theater? Or does this merely apply to the audio you'd get from the system-to-TV connection?

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:07 PM #1822 of 3592
So everything will just be bigger on a regular TV? I'm wondering how they're going to pull this off for games and the browser, for example.
Run your computer at the lowest resolution you can, you'll see what I mean. I've connected my videocard to CRT sets and they've got a very low maximum resolution, resulting in everything looking huge.

Remember, we're looking at pictures of a massive TV. Realistically, that "small font" is actually pretty big on the screen. Not to mention its color.

Quote:
I swear, I'm trying not to get too fanboyish with these updates, but when I read more and more of all the near-endless features this system contains, I can't help but lose some of my composure.
GAF is losing its fucking mind, so I'm glad you're keeping it cool. They're going on about Media Center, Emulating on Yellow Dog, BC for PS1 and PS2, FTWs, etc...

Quote:
What I wonder now, is if by setting up the video and audio options on the system means that those options will carry over to every PS3 game you'll play. It would be nice to never have to manually configure each game to suit your setup preferences if they're all loaded from the system.
Who knows, that may be so. I know the controller settings are saved on the HDD so you don't have to redo them everytime.

Quote:
I'm a bit perplexed by the HDMI Audio option. I thought the PS3 only had one HDMI output, so how are you supposed to hook up an additional one to your home theater? Or does this merely apply to the audio you'd get from the system-to-TV connection?
I think you can designate the HDMI to be the video, and then seperately make the optical out the path through which the sound goes to your receiver.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:08 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 11:08 PM #1823 of 3592
You can set two resolutions. One for the OS (and thus the picture viewers, videos, browser, etc), and then game output. I'm fairly certain if you select 1080i for games, the console uses this for every PS3 game you put in. Still no idea about how it'll handle PS2 and 1 titles, though.

As for "bigger", it's the same thing as changing resolutions on your monitor. Smaller resolutions will make default fonts and icons larger because you're essentially zoomed up close. If you plug in a component cable, the only thing stopping you from outputting at ridiculously high resolutions (and thus smaller text, even though there wasn't that big of a difference, since the menu scales somewhat) on a 20" TV is how much the TV itself can output. Alternatively, feel free to plug in HDMI and outputting at 480.

FELIPE NO

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:12 PM #1824 of 3592
Quote:
GAF is losing its fucking mind, so I'm glad you're keeping it cool. They're going on about Media Center, Emulating on Yellow Dog, BC for PS1 and PS2, FTWs, etc...
Oh, I'm the same. You don't need to be a fanboy to know that this system is opening a world of possibilities here. Transfering saved videos to watch on the PS3 (no more burning DVDs with Nero), custom soundtracks, and god knows how many emulators.

The emulator thing could especially be something huge. Just think, if the PS3 manages to emulate SNES, Genesis, N64 etc games with no hiccups whatsoever, then this would be a major blow to the Wii's VC. Who's going to pay $5-$10 when you can download all the games you want for free, including fan translations of some of the stuff that's remained in Japan? I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was thinking the same thing.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:12 PM #1825 of 3592
Here's a ~20min demonstration of the PS3's XMB.

Originally Posted by Qwarky
You can set two resolutions. One for the OS (and thus the picture viewers, videos, browser, etc), and then game output. I'm fairly certain if you select 1080i for games, the console uses this for every PS3 game you put in. Still no idea about how it'll handle PS2 and 1 titles, though.
PS1 and PS2 games? Easy, it'll simply upscale them to whatever resolution you set games to run at. Now, if this is a desirable thing depends on who you ask and how robust its BC features are (if this thing can apply 4x AA and some kind of AF to PS1/PS2 games, it'll breathe new life into them).

Quote:
As for "bigger", it's the same thing as changing resolutions on your monitor. Smaller resolutions will make default fonts and icons larger because you're essentially zoomed up close. If you plug in a component cable, the only thing stopping you from outputting at ridiculously high resolutions (and thus smaller text, even though there wasn't that big of a difference, since the menu scales somewhat) on a 20" TV is how much the TV itself can output. Alternatively, feel free to plug in HDMI and outputting at 480.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Oh, I'm the same. You don't need to be a fanboy to know that this system is opening a world of possibilities here. Transfering saved videos to watch on the PS3 (no more burning DVDs with Nero), custom soundtracks, and god knows how many emulators.
Tell me about it, this thing is shaping up to be quite the multimedia master.

Quote:
The emulator thing could especially be something huge. Just think, if the PS3 manages to emulate SNES, Genesis, N64 etc games with no hiccups whatsoever, then this would be a major blow to the Wii's VC. Who's going to pay $5-$10 when you can download all the games you want for free, including fan translations of some of the stuff that's remained in Japan? I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was thinking the same thing.
I wouldn't go that far and say that Sony deliberately sought out to do this, officially. Linux is simply a means to get their Playstation PC in homes as a computer, but it's other implications are huge. Apparently there's already quite a few compatible Linux emulators for older consoles.

Like you said, if the PS3's 512MB and 3.2Ghz can run these smoothly enough, it's not a good thing for the Wii's VC.

Edit: More stuff confirmed:

Quote:
-they confirm bluetooth devices will work with the ps3, including cell phone headsets.
-they confirm you can hook up old ps2 eyetoy, or the new eyetoy2
-you can adjust mouse settings. like right or left handed, and pointer speed.
-you can assign music to photo slide shows.
Source

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 18, 2006 at 03:33 PM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread