Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Show-offs

Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 07:47 PM #1 of 12
Question Show-offs

We have all encountered the kind of people who love to point out their rather pointless uncanny behaviors and prodigal talents to everyone and anyone within a five mile radius of their person.

My question to you is, how do you deal with these kind of people? I usually get upset due not only to the fact that somewhere deep inside of me is a bit of green, which I think is just normal human behavior, but also because it's annoying. Nobody really cares that you're double-jointed, I sure don't, and besides seeing you bend you're arm backward makes me more sick than impressed.

And also, on the flip side, we all have our lame tricks and cheesy talents, but sometimes they're actually worthy of showing-off, even to a smaller extent. So my question to you is, not what your "gift" is but how you present it without seeming like a complete jack-ass.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 10:09 PM #2 of 12
As long it isn't material possessions, I don't mind. It's cool to see someone's talents and tidbits. Just can't stand the "my shit is better than yours, bitch!" kind of people.

edit: With a twist of lemon is after chocobo?

Most amazing jew boots
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 11:56 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 11:56 PM #3 of 12
I'm not a fan of show offs. Especially when I was younger, example elemantary school, there would always be those arrogant kids who think they can do something so special no one else can when in fact what they can muster doesn't really make them deserve a gold star. Now it's a little bit better in college, but even in high school, showing off grades, music, clothes, etc., it can get annoying. Far better to be humble in my opinion. Then you don't look like an ass.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zato-1
Banned

Member 6345

Level 6.62

May 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 08:36 AM Local time: May 30, 2006, 03:36 PM #4 of 12
Whoever said "If you got , Flaunt it" was an ass, Many people i've met have tons of talent, but they fail to realise that they're showing that talent to humans, and Humans Dont like Show offs.. In fact its one of two cases :

1- He Doesnt care about your talent : then you'd find no attention and you being the show off would be offended, when all there is to it is that the person infront of u just doesnt have an interest in whatever the hell ur doing..

2- He does care: then the least that can happen is the natural human feeling of Hating the showoff, add to that the slight jealousy that no person can deny having in pure honesty (Well, its healthy, in a very small dose, otherwise we'd have no motives to get better) and you've got a recipe for disaster and destruction social relationships..

How to avoid? Simple : You have a talent, don't show it off, make it "Come" naturally. in other words, if you can sing (Which i would kill u for, out of jealousy!) Don't ever do it unless there's an ocasion, even if you "Invent" that ocasion (heheh) like if you're all singing along to a fav song, or at a birthday party.. Like i said wait for the right place to show off your talents, i knwo what im gonna mention arent' talents but take it as an example :
Most people i known for over 2 years dont know i can do weird flips (which look cool ^_^ ), no occasion ever came to have that happen.. Nor that i can fight like a maniac (Which was cool until i grew up..:P) get what i mean?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zato-1 : He actually said " Just for the hell of it"

Bigblah is fucking awesome..!

CryHavoc : Way to suck up to the mods.

Zato-1 : Admins you fool, ADMINS, BUWAHAHAHAHAH!
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 09:02 AM #5 of 12
I only have two real talents: spelling and cooking. I can't go around spelling everything because that would be silly. The cooking speaks for itself, although I sometimes have to chew the insides of my cheeks to keep from flaunting my cooking skills to people who don't know that I cook and try to brag to me about what they made for dinner the night before, or people who act like they've done this huge, wonderful thing by making some hamburger helper, canned green beans and a Betty Crocker cake.

Most amazing jew boots
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 09:03 AM Local time: May 30, 2006, 08:03 AM #6 of 12
I know some people who are complete, utter arrogant snobs. Not so much with "my talent is better than yours" as with "my way of doing things is better than yours, and you can't conclusively prove me wrong, so I'll never see your point of view." And some of this shit gets thrown at me at work (IT department), in the realm of shit I'm specifically and heavily educated for. Sorry, fucker, but no you do NOT know what makes a secure network better than I do. And no, you do not have the world's best ($INSERT_PRIZED_POSSESSION_HERE).

I knew someone else like that, a long time ago. Thought he was the bees' knees when it came to charming the ladies. Funny thing is that all the girls I talked to thought as much as I did that he was a self-absorbed piece of shit.

I wouldn't mind either of them so much were it not for the fact that both of them tried to drag me into their own delusions of grandeur. Compare and compete, compare and compete. No, fuck you, asshole. Eat shit and die. I keep trying to stay out of their ego-pumping bullshit, but sometimes it's difficult without screaming outright "GO KNIFE YOURSELF, COCKSUCKER" and risking getting fired/expelled/arrested/deported (O NOES).

As for showing off my talents without coming off sounding like a pompous pig-fucker, I usually try to avoid showing them off as much as I just use them. A lot of it has to do with technology, and I'll usually just give people as much cold, hard information as I can if I have to fix something for them and they give me that "ZOMG computer god" look (Guys, I'm not god, I just happen to know silicon wafers better than some other folks). Educate them a bit as to the facts of the matter, help them feel enlightened. Good karma is a far greater reward than empty pride will ever be.

So yeah, show-offs really, really fucking piss me off. I'm about as (non|anti)Christian as you can get, but I definitely understand the whole "pride a deadly sin" thing.

One other thing I notice about people like this, now that I'm thinking about it: they're usually not nearly as good at their brag-skill as other people are who don't boast about it every 10 minutes. It very likely stems from a psychological need to compensate for feelings of inferiority or inadequacy. "I fear I suck at this, so let's talk about how good I am at it." Mr Charmy McFuckems seemed to be a poster child for inferiority complexes.

Rambling now, but I keep thinking of new examples. I actually once dated someone who was so full of herself I saw herself spilling out her ears. One year my senior, and thought it was enough to play Big Sister to the university newbie. 'Scuse me, bitch, I'll find my own goddamn way around my college. Do I look like a fucking deer in headlights? Jesus christ, give me one week and I'll know enough to at least muddle by while I fill in the gaps.

Arrogance has to be the single most unattractive characteristic under the sun. Show some fucking humility, for chrissake.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.

Last edited by CelticWhisper; May 30, 2006 at 09:11 AM.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: May 30, 2006, 08:49 AM #7 of 12
I encountered lots of show-offs in high school due to certain classes that most of the more dedicated students took. Those classes eventually helped my credits in college, but it was always interesting to deal with some of those classmates who assumed they were the best because of what class we were in.

I don't usually encourage a person's arrogance involving school or anything at all. If someone happens to show-off in front of me and I know it may be on purpose, I tend to just smile politely and not say much.

FELIPE NO
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 11:54 AM Local time: May 30, 2006, 12:54 PM #8 of 12
I tend to be that showoffy asshole. Except, I don't try to be like that. More often than not, I just point these things out with the purpose of mocking myself afterwards, or just entertaining people in what would normally be a very boring situation.
I suspect this might be slightly because when I was younger, my elders were wayyy oversupportive of me, and thus it got to my head.
For this reason, I really hate being praised or complimented for anything that I can do.

The things that I have a tendency to show off are my ability to play some short bits of blindingly fast music on the piano, and my Jeopardy-like knowledge of useless crap, especially my knowledge of the sciences.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Fjordor; May 30, 2006 at 11:56 AM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 11:54 AM #9 of 12
I also loathe arrogance and pride, which is ironically a deadly sin as well.

I usually just think to myself: "yeah, this guy is just hyping himself up for failure. Anyone I've seen who brags, usually sucks totally at what they're trying. You're no different."

Other times I'll really hate it when I see it in excess. I despise this one kid I used to know that'd always brag about how he could do all sorts of stuff and had all these privileges because he was on "stage crew" >=P That pissed me off so much.

As for my only skills (piano playing, video game knowledge and adequacy, anime knowledge), I've found someone for each case that is much better than me in such a short period of time. Instant humility ight there, not that I used to brag about any of them. I'll always let the other person eventually figure it out, or vaguely list my interests online to arouse my friends who read them and let them think: "I didn't know you did that!"

If there's a piano around and they ask me, then I'll play. If there's a videogame, I'll play it. If there's anime, we'll eventually end up talking about anime in general. No need to flaunt it excessively.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 12:10 PM Local time: May 31, 2006, 12:10 AM #10 of 12
Hmm, honestly I'm bit pressed by those kind of people. But I wouldnt make myself asymmetric or inferior in front of them by thinking humans are unique and that guy would be another one who havent got enough praise for his prodigy so that he start showing off to others.

Paradoxically, people show off their talent because usually their parents didn't give enough respect or showing praise to them in childhood.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 02:06 PM #11 of 12
It depends on their attitude at the time. If they are excited and it's the kind of, "Look at what I just learned how to do!", then it's cool. However, if the person sounds more like, "I can do this better than you can" then I get annoyed. I don't mind show-offs as long as they are not persistent about showing off their new talents everyday and as long as they are not trying to belittle others.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 02:45 PM Local time: May 30, 2006, 08:45 PM #12 of 12
We have these two twats at school that are really quite flexible. They can do all these jumps and flips and shit. Anyway, they'll dop this in school and, if it's warm, outside. Now, I wouldn't have a problem with this as it's actually quite cool, but it's the fact that they do it in front of everyone! It's doubly annoying because everyone's all "oooh, bum me you can do flips and look like a majorly arrogant cockfag!" Every time they land on their ass I will laugh at them. Lots.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Show-offs