Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Kanno Primer

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:34 PM #1 of 6
Kanno Primer

I'm looking to get into some Yoko Kanno and I need some help.

Context: The only Kanno soundtrack I have is that gussied up Uncharted Waters II Special Edition soundtrack (which I decently enjoy). Most of my exposure has come from tracks in SotW and BSC. As a template, favorite tracks of hers include Southern Twilight ~ Dance on a Cape of Good Hope from UWII, Wild Wind from Napple Tale Vol. 2 and Blue Whitecaps from Nobunaga's Ambition: Haouden.

Overly cute or saccharine is not my thing.

So soundtracks do you suggest I check out first?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:36 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2009, 12:36 PM #2 of 6
All of them, you poor bastard.

First, the Ragnarok Online II soundtrack. Then we start with her anime scores. Specifically, the Kiseki no Umi single from Record of Lodoss War TV, because that is hands down the best vocal song she has ever written. (The actual soundtracks are by Kaoru Wada though, so ignore those)

After that, I dunno, try Please Save My Earth, Brain Powerd, Macross Plus, Escaflowne (3 albums plus a movie soundtrack) and RahXephon (another 3 albums and a move soundtrack), just to start. Then try out her most famous anime music work: Cowboy Bebop (3 albums plus a movie soundtrack -- are you seeing a pattern here yet -- plus supplementary vocal albums) and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (6 soundtrack albums in a boxset). I really like the songs in Wolf's Rain, too. You'd probably like it too because it's one bloody depressing soundtrack.

Then you can try Macross Frontier (2 albums plus singles) to get up to speed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Bigblah; Apr 15, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
greatless
Wark!

Member 32656

Level 2.25

Jan 2009

Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:10 AM #3 of 6
Yeah, what Bigblah mentioned is complete enough.
I also recommend her music from Turn A Gundam (my first encounter with Yoko's music), 3 albums plus a movie soundtrack (dam right Bigblah, =)) this IS her pattern). Military Boots, Dark History, God Advent, Tsuki no Mayu, just some of awesome tracks in this series. Try it out!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:43 AM #4 of 6
Not going to lie, I'm going for her VGM stuff first. If I'm enjoying it enough, then I'll slide into her anime selection. But I got enough music on my plate without the need for anime normally.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:50 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2009, 03:50 PM #5 of 6
Kanno hasn't really done anything remarkable in the vgm scene. Apart from The Era of Great Voyages II Special Edition (KECH-1061) and the Napple Tale soundtracks.

Her anime works are a lot more interesting and inspired.

I was speaking idiomatically.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:35 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2009, 04:35 PM #6 of 6
It's the music she made for Koei in the '90s you should focus on then. You can check her VGM discography here. Pretty much all the albums between '89 and '94 not called 'KOEI Original BGM Collection...' are arrange albums in the vein of the Uncharted Waters II SE album you mentioned. A good entry-point could be the five 'The Best of KOEI' compilations, each featuring selected tracks from preceding releases.

These old-school Koei arrange albums are generally held in high regard - and not only Kanno's works - they are pretty much all good.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Kanno Primer