Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

I need to amplify wireless signal/set second access point

Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:03 PM #1 of 6
I need to amplify wireless signal/set second access point

Here's the situation: My house's internet is set up so our cable modem and wireless router is downstairs. The two roommates' computers downstairs don't have wireless and are connected by lan cables, so the router has to stay downstairs in their room. For some time now, the roommates upstairs (including myself) get disconnected frequently, and now we're tired of having to deal with it.

Is there a way to wirelessly set a second access point upstairs so the signal can be amplified/repeated? The goal is to avoid wiring, and frankly I don't know enough about routers/hubs/repeaters/what have you.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Most amazing jew boots
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:30 PM #2 of 6
There are a few options available to solve your problem.

Depending upon the type of router you have, you can get some custom firmware which enables you to increase the broadcasting power of your router. Of course, this only helps for routers which don't already broadcast at full power. The Linksys WRT54G is one of those routers.
Of course, you will want to manually connect to the router to update the firmware, just to avoid any lost data, which might permanently destroy your router. This would be the course to take if you don't mind getting onto one of your brother's computers for a little while to set up, the destruction risk, and you don't want to spend any money on another router

The safer option is to go out and purchase a wireless network range extender, which you can place at some halfway point between the router and yourself, and it should just rebroadcast the signal. I'm not entirely sure how these are set up though, as I've never had to use one, but its definitely something you can look into.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 03:26 PM #3 of 6
I just so happen to have a Linksys WRTS4G so I'll look into that.

Also I've discovered these neat little wireless bridges/Access Points that seem to function quite well.

Thanks for the quick response.

edit: if anyone knows how (or can link me) to flash the linksys firmware w/ 3rd party firmware, that'd be great.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Room; Oct 27, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 03:41 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2006, 10:41 PM #4 of 6
Originally Posted by Room
For some time now, the roommates upstairs (including myself) get disconnected frequently, and now we're tired of having to deal with it.
Why are you assuming that these disconnection issues are due to bad signal quality if everything was working fine earlier?

Did you try changing channels, assigning static IPs, changing security settings?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 04:55 PM #5 of 6
Yea we did. And frankly, it's been happening for, no joke, about 8 months. I guess we poor college folk had more tolerance than most, but today I decided this just can't go on.

Well I returned with two range-extender antennaes for the router, and it just boosted my loading speed by at least 2 fold. While I can't tell if it's just my mind fucking with me, I'm actually convinced this will work (time will tell). I was only separated from $10 during this ordeal, so all the better.

I was speaking idiomatically.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 05:31 PM #6 of 6
Awesome. Glad I could be of help. =)

I've also noticed that often times, when I have a connection to a router right on the outskirts of an adequate transmission zone, that that area will gradually decay over the course of a few days to a few weeks, depending upon the load of activity.

Good luck.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > I need to amplify wireless signal/set second access point