Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Assassin's Creed

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:13 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 12:13 AM #101 of 132
Does loop eternally count as 'really long'? They could just force you to restart over and over. Longevity++

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:16 PM #102 of 132
Well that's the thing. Everyone is in a hurry to get things out the door to pad their yearly figures. Where if you think about it. If a company started game development and worked on a product for 2 years instead of one. Sure your first two years numbers would suck, but if you started new projects each year with a 2 year cycle, you'd probably create a much better wuality product, and therefore a better financial turnaround on the game. And of course every company has their big, multi year projects that they invest a lot into, i.e. Assassin's Creed.

Or at least that's my theory. I'm sure if that would work that more companies would be doing it.

@OmagusPrime
It depends on how much they can vary it, and how fun that repeated mechanic is. Even then it will vary from person to person. What was Bungie's theory? "Create 30seconds of fun gameplay and then repeat thoes 30minutes up till the end of the game". But really if you don't like repetition then your game choices just got cut down to less then 10 games.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Slayer X; Nov 13, 2007 at 07:22 PM.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:51 PM #103 of 132
I do think it's cute that a game get's a 7.3 and a 7.7 and like 5 other sites score it above a 9 and it's suddenly getting "crap scores all around". Some people are fucking impossible to please.

This thread is starting degenerate into a gamefaqs thread with people like sexninja shoving their disappointment down everybody's throats. You know, as if your personal rating matters to anyone. At all.

FELIPE NO
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:52 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 06:52 AM 2 #104 of 132
Actually slayer we are repeating evry game like this, if your theory is to be expected.
Cod4,BS and halo 3 are FPS and all,shoot cover, get in vehicles etc, but what makes the game different is different setting, different SITUATION, different layout, different scripted scenes to keep the gamer interested not frustrated.

For e.g ghost town level of cod4, then one mission invloving escape from ship, one involving chasing the bad guy, one on running and survival, one on whole stealth, one on copter etc.
+ Cinematics happening in FP view in between game like aftermath scene.
+multiplayer.
+addicitve well balanced gameplay.

Thats the problem with AC, its exactly the same layout everytime, and not at all addicitve gameplay.

Same cities with more areas after each kill but you are doing exactly same thing.
Its a 7 game , minus graphics and music productionvalues, you have game around 5.

@forsety
opinion matters, 3 guys have already decided not to buy, i have convinced them on forums.
And here around me more than 10 friends are convinced.

The thread is bound to suck, coz game suck.
Also you dont need to support the game, your avatar explains evrything.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Sexninja; Nov 13, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:56 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 11:56 AM 1 #105 of 132
I do think it's cute that a game get's a 7.3 and a 7.7 and like 5 other sites score it above a 9 and it's suddenly getting "crap scores all around". Some people are fucking impossible to please.
Haven't you heard? Any game that scores below 9.0 is an instant crap game these days!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:04 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2007, 09:04 PM #106 of 132
If you're going to spew shit outta your ass, can you please do it somewhere else?
Originally Posted by Megalith Prime
Wow, this game is getting terrible scores.

No wonder all they did was pimp that producer chick instead of the actual game.

Assassin's Crap.
See, that's why you gotta save your insults for when you really need them.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Strife
I'm your new travel agent

Member 24747

Level 9.89

Sep 2007

Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:58 AM #107 of 132

This thread is starting degenerate into a gamefaqs thread with people like sexninja shoving their disappointment down everybody's throats. You know, as if your personal rating matters to anyone. At all.
I'm holding any remarks on the game until I play it. I watched the Gametrailers review and I'm looking forward to getting it into my hands.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:25 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 11:25 PM #108 of 132
I've been playin it for a while now on the PS3, and I'm enjoying it...I guess. It feels like the more I get into it, the more it reminds me of Oblivion, and I didn't like that game. I do like finding the view points and generally runnin around town saving citizens, but his sword combat is kinda terrible. Takes forever to get a good hit in, and don't even try sword-fighting the Templar. Bleh.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:04 AM #109 of 132
I think that someone else asked this but does AC have a difficulty select? And if so what are the difficulty?

I was speaking idiomatically.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:20 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 12:20 AM #110 of 132
Nope.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 02:18 PM #111 of 132
Well I FINALLY got AC. After Canada getting screwed with a Nov 15th release date and a crappy LE version of the game. Then to top it off, EB only got the 360 LE version of the game and not the PS3 one. I told them "fuck it I just want to play" and got the regular one. Oh wells.

With all my trade ins I also managed to get Kane & Lynch and Umbrella Chronicles, all for only $13.50 after trade-ins. Hoo-Ra!

FELIPE NO
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:38 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2007, 11:38 PM #112 of 132
After long 30h of playing I finally finished Assassin's Creed =) I have to say that idea about 3 parts of AC is quite awesome =D Shame that ending was quite disappointing...

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:37 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2007, 11:37 PM #113 of 132
I'm really liking it so far. I can see where the criticism has come from about the potential for it being repetitive in places, but I don't mind that, I go off and make my own fun hunting down templars or finding new ways to kill guards.

HazelrahFiver
Syklis Green

Member 4110

Level 8.12

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:23 AM #114 of 132
Assassin's Creed (I'm about to clock in to the game right now) is very entertaining. It falls into the same category that a lot of people seem to have forgotten about (and kids don't know about). What makes a game good foremost is if it is fun. If I can turn the system on, assassinate a bunch of people and then make a mad dash across the rooftops, I am having a great time.

I said the same thing about GoW. The weapons are awful (*chainsaw noise*) in that game, their are four kinds of enemies and the only reason they are a challenge is because they have way too much health. The game is short as shit because they planned a trilogy BUT, I have a bunch of fun playing it. There's really something to be said about the 'fun' you can have with a game.

Not all games bring this about. In fact, very few do. I have all the next gen. consoles and only a handful of games are worth playing after their first run. Assassin's Creed has THE best climbing system programmed so far, and is worth owning just to oogle that. It also has probably the best Horse system, and the fighting though silly, isn't that bad. It's not the game I thought it was going to be, but I have never felt disappointed.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:49 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 01:49 PM #115 of 132
It's not the game I thought it was going to be
I think that is perhaps the key statement. To an extent it's not the game people thought it was going to be. I'll admit I didn't fully know what to expect, but I'm really liking what I have, as it is fun. I keep surprising myself with little moves I pull off, and things I can climb. I walk up to some big ass building and go "Hmm, wonder if I can climb up this?". Thing is with some of them you have to be clever about how you do it, it's not always easy to get up somewhere. And once you do get up high, up properly high, it's breathtaking.

As for the fighting, I like the way it works. Yeah, OK, if we're talking 'realistic' then it's a bit silly the guards don't exploit your flourishes on the more dramatic killings, but then it wouldn't be half as fun. I really like how the defence and countering system work and find it makes for some great fights that I truly believe Altair could survive. Also, throwing people off roofs or into market stalls is always entertaining. You kill people in some pretty brutal ways too, I particularly liked/winced when Altair plunged his short sword into the top of someone's skull and then took a couple of attempts to pull it out (complete with bone crunching noises).

And yeah, riding around on the horses is a lot of fun. Actually makes me want to travel through the kingdom.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:56 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 10:56 AM #116 of 132
I've played this a little bit, although most of my experience has been watching my brother play the bajeezus out of it. As I've heard at least one other person say, I could see how this game would get repetitive if you don't enjoy doing freaking awesome things over and over again. Randomly going Brock Samson on a crowd of guards and stirring things up is all sorts of juvenile fun.

Collecting flags is lame as hell, and the pseudoscience backdrop is kinda questionable but other than that, it's all good. I think Gabe's long spiel on Penny Arcade is pretty insightful as to why some review sites are trashing the game the way they are.

Most amazing jew boots
Strife
I'm your new travel agent

Member 24747

Level 9.89

Sep 2007

Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:32 AM #117 of 132
Ok, so I've played it, beat it, and done everything in it except collect the flags. I must say that this game is pretty cool, albeit repetitive. I really enjoyed the story, and the gameplay was really fun. I still found running from rooftop to rooftop just as fun at the end as it was in the beginning. I though combat was really fun, and the counter system is pretty addicting. Combo Kills look pretty sweet too.

My biggest complaint is more nitpicking, but I found it really annoying that when you hit water, you die. Also, sometimes the guards while in combat will double or triple up hitting you and you'll see your life drop faster than a 3 dollar whore.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Most amazing jew boots
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 23, 2007, 07:50 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 05:50 AM #118 of 132
The assassinations in this game are great. They are the best part about Assassin's Creed. Unfortunately, they are also the shortest part of Assassin's Creed. Usually clocking in at a whole 2 minutes per assassination depending on how good you are. Sorry, story is not a gameplay feature. I can see why this game received the reviews it did, because everything in between chasing down a fat bastard in a crowded street is tedious and not at all "fun."

Pokey
killhouse

Member 15382

Level 9.89

Nov 2006

Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:08 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 11:08 AM #119 of 132
Finished the first assassination in Damascus poor district. Anyone know if there is any real point to save all the citizens and find all the viewpoints etc.? It's ridiculously tedious. It also bugs me how similar the guard/crowd AI is, from saying the same things over and over to not really acting any differently every place you. go. Honestly I thought crowd AI was one of the biggest things they focused on. Goes to show the limits of any game, I suppose.

Also, how do you identify a Knights Templar from every other guard? I thought i killed one that had the big cross on his clothes, but he wasn't one because my achievement progress wasn't updated.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Pokey; Nov 23, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:53 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 11:53 AM #120 of 132
Templars are usually stood around on their own next to a chest. You should know when you're in a fight with one because all the other guards back off, and they're a lot tougher than any standard guard.

The high points are required to open up the missions, but not all high points have to be reached to do so. Saving citizens is entirely optional and merely unlocks vigilantes that will block guards for you if you pass through the area mid-chase.

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:04 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 04:04 PM #121 of 132
I didn't like Assassins Creed. First off, I hated the fact that you can't run full speed between the cities on your horse. (Mind you, I didn't play that long, so it might change latter in the game...) What's that, speed limits on horses?

And apart from climbing around the cities, which I also enjoyed in Crackdown, the whole kill thing was... bleh... I had hoped for a more athletic Hitman, not just this slightly unsympathic dude in a cloak... Oh well, off to play Mass Effect and CoD4 instead.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:27 AM #122 of 132
At least Kilroy had the guts to admitt that he was not impressed with the game due to mistaken identity on what the game was going to be like, istead of trying to justify the game being broken or some obviously statement that's not true like 1UP tried to do. (though the game does have it's flaws, what game doesn't?)

As for the horse bit. Just do what I do, gun it to town and usually by the time you get to town all the guards are so far behind you just jump off the horse and in a bail of hay. Problem solved

Pokey
killhouse

Member 15382

Level 9.89

Nov 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:12 PM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 11:12 AM #123 of 132
yeah, kinda stupid that the guards wouldn't get on a horse and chase you, with the hundreds of horses lying around. Some things in this game lack a whole lot of common sense.
Just finished the third assassination, and I really liked how events played out with that one. I just wish the assassinations were longer and more fleshed out then just one cinematic and quick assassination/get away.
And concerning the story, I was hoping for more subtle conspiracies, not every assassination target babbling about The Brotherhood or whatever. Oh well. The parts with Desmond are pretty interesting, so I hope you actually get to do something soon there.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:02 PM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 02:02 PM #124 of 132
I picked up Assassin's Creed for the 360 when I got the console, so far its been pretty awesome. They definitively got the look and feel down for the Crusades Era. There is a sense of style over substance, but its not that big of a deal. Perhaps if they make a sequel with a different person and a different profession, they could expand on the gameplay.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Pokey
killhouse

Member 15382

Level 9.89

Nov 2006

Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:49 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2007, 06:49 PM #125 of 132
AC sells 1 million in 1 week

A solid record for a GoTY candidate. Do you guys think AC should win?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Assassin's Creed