Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Can a wireless router sub as a wireless card?

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:59 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 10:59 PM #1 of 7
Can a wireless router sub as a wireless card?

Bear with me if this is a retarded question, guys.

My girlfriend contacted her ISP, who won’t be able to come out to her apartment until sometime next week to get her internet up and running. She asked me if she could temporarily connect to other people’s wireless connection in the building with her wireless router. At first I said no. It’s a router. You need a wirless card to get a wireless connection. Then I thought about it a little, and realized that I wasn’t entirely sure if you could double a router as a wirless card. I figured it may be possible…

SO. Is there a way I can hook up a wireless router into my girlfriends computer and tap in to other people’s wireless signals so she can have temporary internet access?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JosephGoebbels
Banned

Member 12804

Level 1.21

Sep 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:13 PM #2 of 7
I don't know if it's proper to steal other people's connections without their permission.

However I think this can be done but it depends on the router itself.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:21 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 09:21 PM #3 of 7
Well, if she's using wireless, why can't she just "borrow" a signal with her computer for the time being? I don't have a lot of experience with wireless connections, but can't she just search for an open one?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JosephGoebbels
Banned

Member 12804

Level 1.21

Sep 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:30 PM #4 of 7
I think the problem is she doesn't have a wireless card. (Although I don't know why she would have a router if she doesn't have a card.)

How ya doing, buddy?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:34 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 11:34 PM #5 of 7
Originally Posted by JosephGoebbels
I don't know if it's proper to steal other people's connections without their permission.
HA. Go look in the My Stuff forum or any of the Request forums and then tell me if I'm being proper or not. Not that this justifies what I'm trying to do, but hey - we're all pirates.
Originally Posted by galen
Well, if she's using wireless, why can't she just "borrow" a signal with her computer for the time being?
Ya see, that's just the thing. She technically is not using wireless. She doesn’t have a wireless card (if she did, this question would be easy). I'm no expert, but in my experience, you plug the internet into the modem, the modem into the router, the router into the computer. She doesn’t need a wireless card, as everything has always been wired. Her roommates have always connected to her with their wireless cards. What I am wondering is if it's required that she has a wireless card to connect to other people's wireless signals in the building, or if she can manipulate her wireless router to do that. I guess it's a question of if the hardware she currently has is capable or not.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 11:25 PM #6 of 7
What she needs is a Wireless Access Point, and not a router. (if she's gonna yoink other people's wireless)

Most amazing jew boots
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:41 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 05:41 PM #7 of 7
Well, I have to admit I don't really know what the difference between a Wireless Router and a Wireless Access Point is, but I researched a little and found this link -

How do I use a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point (or a Wired Router as a passive Switch)?

I think I'll give it a try, and see if I can get anywhere with it...

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Can a wireless router sub as a wireless card?