Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Do you want Custom Display Names back?
Yes, it was optional, off by default, and helped the community. What's not to like? 62 83.78%
No, I want you to rip off my face and nail it to the back of a tractor. 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

What happened to the custom display names?
Closed Thread

galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:39 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 07:39 PM #26 of 79
I voted yes. applebees must return!!!!!

I guess GFF is just too much serious business for fun! We are all very professional people with very dry senses of humor and well thought out and poignant opinions of a variety of topics, after all!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:40 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 04:40 PM #27 of 79
Originally Posted by Luxo
bobo probably removed it because he has no friends.
Low blow to bobo, Luxo. Low blow.

Most amazing jew boots
Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:57 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 08:57 PM #28 of 79
Useless feature really. Don't see why there should be drama about it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:02 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 10:02 AM #29 of 79
No, I think it's useful, this is alternative if we are bored with username, and want to revert it to original anytime. I think it's more efficient than requesting admin to change your name when you want one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
galen

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:03 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 08:03 PM #30 of 79
Not useless. Unnecessary, yes, but not useless.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:33 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 04:33 PM #31 of 79
Poll's winning by a landslide.

Originally Posted by Lord Styphon
Thanks, bobo, for removing a feature I never had to see (because I turned them off at the first opportunity) but still didn't like.
Birds of a feather.

FELIPE NO
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:16 PM #32 of 79
Gooks up in here.

I don't mind the feature. I'd probably enable it from time to time just to see what silly shit people set their names as. I don't plan on using it myself since I like having people not be able to track what my actual username is, plus it makes me feel special that the admins <3 me enough to do so. >_>

>________________________________________>

<________________________________________<

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

#654: Braixen
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:23 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 11:23 PM #33 of 79
I don't really see a reason to remove it, especially when the reason for it's implimentation to begin with was to make name-change themes less of an annoyance for admins and removing the problem of people not being able to tell who is who during that time. I'm not sure why it's any different than custom titles or signatures, since those are features that don't serve much purpose and can be disabled as well (although they're enabled by default).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:37 PM #34 of 79
Why lie; bobo removed it because bobo didn't add it.

Also, I think blah implemented the sticky seprator.

packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:43 PM #35 of 79
I completely loved this feature.

Aside from the worn arguments that everyone else has given tenfold, I'd just like to say a few things from a newbie's perspective.

I find that this is a very attractive option to just about ANY forum. I have wandered around the internet, and this is the first forum I have seen which has offered such features (At least for little effort. Some have used "post point" systems, where you can essentially spam your way into a name change. This, of course, is not the way to do things).

I think that, as a forum which continually has these sorts of small fun things appended to it here and there, it stands above the rest. Many administrators I have seen are wary of doing any fancy edits with their forum code, and utilize their super-powers for only installing standard software updates.

Boring.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by packrat; Jul 21, 2006 at 11:45 PM.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:01 AM #36 of 79
Originally Posted by a lurker
Also, I think blah implemented the sticky seprator.
Actually, believe it or not, that was Miles.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:01 AM #37 of 79
I, myself, rarely ever used it. However, the logic for getting rid of it is beyond me....

Chaotic Lullaby
.357 in nylons & rouge

Member 459

Level 12.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:02 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 09:02 PM #38 of 79
Originally Posted by Kamui
Useless feature really. Don't see why there should be drama about it.
because this is gff, and drama is what gff does best.

anyway, i call bullshit on removing display names. they're CONFUSING? how stupid do you think people ARE.

"enable display names what the fuck is this? WHOA SHIT, WHAT JUST HAPPENED. O JESUS ALL THE NAMES HAVE CHANGED, NEVER COMING TO GAMINGFORCE AGAIN, TOO CONFUSING."

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
this space for rent.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:04 AM #39 of 79
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
Actually, believe it or not, that was Miles.
Shenanigans. All Miles can do is kick me in chat.

FELIPE NO
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:20 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 12:20 PM #40 of 79
Originally Posted by Chaotic Lullaby
because this is gff, and drama is what gff does best.

anyway, i call bullshit on removing display names. they're CONFUSING? how stupid do you think people ARE.

"enable display names what the fuck is this? WHOA SHIT, WHAT JUST HAPPENED. O JESUS ALL THE NAMES HAVE CHANGED, NEVER COMING TO GAMINGFORCE AGAIN, TOO CONFUSING."
You have two options if you dont like this feature: 1. Turning it off on your control panel option, 2. Clicking the user name to view its real name.

And also, to avoid confusion I usually use same sig so people could identify me easily.

Most amazing jew boots
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 01:22 AM #41 of 79
Can I ask a silly question? A really stupid one? Since there seems to be drama around this, and for my own curiosity, what the hell did this feature do?

Are you telling me that during gonk week, I could have displayed all of those name changes to their original names for my personal viewing experience?

Could someone explain what it did? I get the impression this was a chat thing, so if thats the case, I am sorry. ;_;

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 01:31 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 10:31 PM #42 of 79
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Can I ask a silly question? A really stupid one? Since there seems to be drama around this, and for my own curiosity, what the hell did this feature do?

Are you telling me that during gonk week, I could have displayed all of those name changes to their original names for my personal viewing experience?

Could someone explain what it did? I get the impression this was a chat thing, so if thats the case, I am sorry. ;_;
I'm pretty amazed you completely missed this. Alright, it was a mod Blah installed that made it possible to change your display name, the one that'd appear next to posts, at will. He also made an option to turn them off and on, as well as which way you would see the changed names. It was also possible to click the usernames and see their original one in the postbit.

Chaotic Lullaby
.357 in nylons & rouge

Member 459

Level 12.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 01:33 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 10:33 PM #43 of 79
this was the basic idea, though it wasn't implemented for gonk week.

here's how it worked: in your profile, there was a field for a display name. you could put a name up to 15 characters here, and this is the name that would display on your postbit.

however, this name would only appear to other users who had the option for display names left on. and to those who could see it, there was a notification of their choice (the name could either blink, marquee, or be followed by an asterisk) that this was, indeed, a display name. a simple click on the name would reveal the dropdown menu, at the top of which the users original name was displayed. it would also only appear in postbits; the original name would be shown everywhere else (ie, journals/comments, and in the 'last post by')

or you could just turn them off and not have to see them.

admins didn't have to deal with namechange requests anymore, but the people who wanted namechanges could have them. it was easy to keep track of who was who with a simple mouseclick. people who found namechanges annoying didn't have to see them. EVERYONE WAS HAPPY.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
this space for rent.
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 10:34 PM #44 of 79

heres the thread made back when it was still a feature:

Custom name changes thread

includes pics

Originally Posted by Chaotic Lullaby
EVERYONE WAS HAPPY.
except bobo

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jul 22, 2006 at 09:31 AM. Reason: fixed broken link =)
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 02:13 AM #45 of 79
bobo's happiness is irrelevant. If we are happy, bobo should be happy. This is how Gamingforce should work.

But obviously, this is not how Gamingforce is working. Gamingforce seems to be broken.

Gamingforce needs to be fixed. Fix Gamingforce.

eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 02:14 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 02:14 PM #46 of 79
Now, why bobo actually removed this feature?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Chaotic Lullaby
.357 in nylons & rouge

Member 459

Level 12.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 02:16 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 11:16 PM #47 of 79
Originally Posted by scotty
except bobo
well yes the implication was that everyone was happy UNTIL BOBO TOOK IT AWAY.

NOW THERE IS ONLY MANLY RAGE.

Most amazing jew boots
this space for rent.
galen

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:46 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 01:46 AM #48 of 79
Originally Posted by eriol33
Now, why bobo actually removed this feature?
Here is a quote directly from Bobsy himself:

Quote:
I love the work Bigblah is putting into the site but some features just don't make any sense from a usability perspective. Display names is one of the few. I want to bring consistency to the entire place, not have every possbile aspect modifiable. The username is one of the few constants about a user and having graphics or blank usernames to display adds no functional aspect to the site and makes things downright confusing.
So, okay. Inconsistency. He wants things to be consistent.

And hey, I can't blame him. I'm a big fan of consistency! I like things predictable too. In fact, I think we should go ahead and set the current avatars and signatures in stone. In the name of consistency, of course.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by galen; Jul 22, 2006 at 03:49 AM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:47 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 01:47 AM #49 of 79
Yes, I enjoyed the OPTIONAL, NOT OBLIGATORY, ACTIVATED BY PERSONAL CHOICE & SELF-ACTION, 100% REMOVEABLE Custom titles, so I voted Yes.

Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 04:36 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 02:36 AM #50 of 79
Everyone voted yes so kiss this sweet feature goodbye forever and advertisements.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > What happened to the custom display names?