Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 117 Voting/WEEK 118 Nominating

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:47 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 12:47 AM #1 of 28
Song of the Week - WEEK 117 Voting/WEEK 118 Nominating

Song of the Week. 100 Weeks and counting.
Week 117 Voting is closed.
Week 118 Nominating is restricted.

Week 117 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Final Result:
1st: www.huelsbeck.com - Timeless Passion
2nd: Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage
3rd: Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 118 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum:
- Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Jan 7, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:34 AM #2 of 28
Good week.

(3 points) Rockman X8 Original Soundtrack - Gateway
(1 point) Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance
(1 point) Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage
(1 point) huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion

There's nowhere I can't reach.
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:54 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 07:54 PM #3 of 28
Bomberman Jetters (Game Rip) - Hot World: Variation is something I like: 3 points
Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi: I particularly liked the intro and the rhythm change built in it, + creativity: 1 point
huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion: the background decoration is really nice, too bad the structure was repetitive and the melody wasn't really something to keep listening to: 2 points

Most amazing jew boots
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 08:06 PM #4 of 28
This is a good week.

2 points - Bomberman Jetters (Game Rip) - Hot World
2 points - Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage
2 points - huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:36 PM #5 of 28
Thanks for stepping in and making the thread, CHz. My 'net access this holiday break is a lot more sporadic than I thought it'd be. Damn relatives and their dialup connections

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 03:43 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 12:43 AM #6 of 28
3 points - Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage
2 points - Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance
1 point - www.huelsbeck.com - Timeless Passion

Hon. Men. - Art of Fighting 2 Image Album - Eikou e no jokyoku (Micky Rogers)

Also, that Rockman X8 track is fine, but I'd much rather have had "Noah's Park" or something here.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ed Bellis
LOL!

Member 22923

Level 20.21

Jun 2007

Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:19 PM #7 of 28
Dayum, great week right here.

2 points: Timeless Passion
1 point: Airport - Heavy Arms
1 point: Hot World
1 point: Elan's Theme
1 point: Spathi

I will nominate:
Artist(s) - Toshiyuki Sasagawa, Kohei Tanaka, Aya Tanaka
Album/Game Title - Tengai Makyo Zero (Game Rip) (a.k.a. Far East of Eden Zero: Shounen Jump no Shou)
Track Title - Born with a Sword, Dead by a Sword
Disc Number - 3 of 3
Track Number - 3
Year - 1995
Source(s) - Game profile: Far East of Eden Zero: Shounen Jump no Shou ~ SNESmusic.org

FELIPE NO
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:20 PM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 11:20 PM #8 of 28
Wow, tough week this!

After two tracks that are pretty good, but I can take or leave 'em (AOF2 and Bomberman), Leaf brings the glory with Grand Finale Dance, a wonderful synthgroovepop song. Love the melody and progressions, very good stuff.

Gateway also sounds pretty sweet, although coming after Grand Finale it had some big shoes to fill and it doesn't quite live up to its legacy either. Elan's Theme sounds really familiar in the intro, but I like it, nice sound and fun bass part. It's sort of being overwhelmed by the competition here, but I would've given it a point in other matchups I reckon.

Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage is groovy and has a catchy lead, so it's right up my alley, although it is slightly busy by my tastes. Still, good stuff, definitely gets some points from me.

The Spathi theme is admittedly mostly a nostalgic vote since I love Star Control 2 so much, but it is a really funny song and a marvellous fit to the characters in the game. Quite simply, the music of this game is hard to appreciate if you haven't played the game, but impossible to ignore if you have.

And then we reach the glorious finale of this master's review of tracks: Chris "no, not heulsbeck" Huelsbeck. I can't praise this guy enough. Timeless Passion is particularly beautiful even by his standards I must say, I always love these kind of tracks. It reminds me of the K-Pax soundtrack, which is a very good thing indeed.

So that leaves me with the problem of the point spread. I really don't know what to do because each and every one of these tracks deserves some manner of praise. I know I always like everything, but this is exceptional even by my standards.

Let's try this...
2 points - Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance
2 points - huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion
1 point - Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage
1 point - Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by surasshu; Dec 27, 2007 at 04:26 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 28, 2007, 04:55 AM #9 of 28
Art of Fighting 2 Image Album - Eikou e no jokyoku (Micky Rogers): This one's okay. Good energy and I like the gritty guitars a lot. The sound quality is somewhat muddy, but I can cope.

Bomberman Jetters (Game Rip) - Hot World: Bomberman music has always made me raise an eyebrow in skepticism. It's too quirky and gimmicky to have a lasting impact. "Hot World" proves to be no exception to this rule.

Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance: If I had to guess, I'd say this track's source is some obscure shmup. It's not bad and the backup synths add some much-needed depth to the lead. I wouldn't say this track is epic but I could enjoy it several times over again.

Rockman X8 Original Soundtrack - Gateway: It didn't do anything. Therefore it didn't do anything for me.

Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme: I nominated this because I figured we hadn't had a really good, traditionally epic track for a while. The soft, initial progression takes its time but pays off with a very strong, compelling melody, backed by some excellent drumwork. The melody finds enough variation to remain interesting, while building into a satisfying climax and soothing denouement. The whole track boasts quality and deserves a place on the SotW site for sure.

Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage: I'm ambivalent on this one. Good points and flaws abound. I'll give a thumbs up to the fast-paced ambience and a jeer to the repetitive nature. It's a strong candidate for a remix and I look forward to that happening someday.

Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi: What is this, "Diamond Meditation"'s bastard cousin? Whatever sound effects DM managed to spare were picked from the recycling bin and used here. Unfortunately, the result isn't nearly as impressive. It tries to be quirky but succeeds only in annoyance.

huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion: What's there to say about Huelsbeck? He's a god and is seated at the table in Asgard next to Kanno, Sakimoto, Yack and Follin. "Timeless Passion" only moves him closer to Thor.

Pointyness!

3 Points: Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme
2 Points: huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion
1 Point: Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance

I don't think this week was as strong as others made it out to be but Huelsbeck did manage to pick up a lot of the slack. I'm siding with my own nomination, but my other two choices deserve plenty of recognition too.

Also: Nomination!

Album: Twisted Metal 2 (Redbook Audio)
Track: Holland (Field of Screams)
Track Number: 10
Year: 1996

Additional Notes: This track is identical to one found on the Jet Moto Redbook Audio. Both games were produced simultaneously and this track was shared. I've always wanted to nominate it and since it's liable to come up during the week of my birthday, I say what the hell. This one's purely for kicks.

Most amazing jew boots
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:06 AM Local time: Dec 28, 2007, 03:06 AM #10 of 28
It's a strong candidate for a remix and I look forward to that happening someday.
xttp://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00758/

Look no further. Though it feels rather light in comparison to the original track, and I like this kind of stuff a bit heavier and slightly harder hitting.

Edit: Turning in votes now, before I pass out from traveling sickness.

3 points - Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing Endless Duel (Gamerip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage

2 points - Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi

1 point - Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Rotorblade; Dec 31, 2007 at 03:54 AM.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:56 PM #11 of 28
As some have already said, this is a pretty good week:

2 points : huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion
2 points : Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi
1 point : Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme
1 point : Rockman X8 Original Soundtrack - Gateway

My next nom:

<> Composer(s) : Koji Hayama
<> Album/Game Title : Gran Chaser
<> Track Title : KNIGHT GEAR
<> Disc Number : 1 (of 1)
<> Track Number : 6
<> Catalog Number : NACL-1188
<> Year : 1995
<> Source(s) : GMR Database
<> Download : Gran Chaser - KNIGHT GEAR

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:12 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2007, 12:12 AM #12 of 28
Some clear standouts for me this weak:

(3 points) huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion

(2 points) Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme

(1 point) Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage

Was tempted to credit the Rockman track and the very spunky Star Control II piece.

How ya doing, buddy?
I think therefore I am... I think.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:50 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2007, 10:50 AM #13 of 28
2 points ~ Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance

1 point ~ Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme

3 points ~ huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:10 AM #14 of 28
Just thought I'd clarify something: were we planning on keeping the two-week SotW's during the first round of the contest only, or throughout it? I forget how long it lasted during the previous contests.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 06:47 AM Local time: Jan 2, 2008, 04:47 AM #15 of 28
Well, seeing as the first round is just about over, and the massive voting rush is finished, we can definitely move back to single-week voting periods. Seems to be pretty traditional by now.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:34 PM #16 of 28
Artists: A' & Namihei
Composer: Tomomi Ohtani
Album Title: BROKEN THUNDER -project THUNDER FORCE VI-
Track Title: Knights of legend
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 18
Catalog Number: FNAG-0003
Year: 2005
Source: http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=542

Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 07:17 PM #17 of 28
A few close decisions:
2 Points - Bomberman Jetters (Game Rip) - Hot World
2 Points - Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme
1 Point - Art of Fighting 2 Image Album - Eikou e no jokyoku (Micky Rogers)
1 Point - Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage

Nom nom:
Artist: ESTi
Title: gensou no natsu , youkai no natsu
Album: Touhou Shikouhana ~ Seasonal Dream Vision
Track No.: 05
Catalog No.: TRA-00009
Year: 2005
Link: Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 07:05 AM Local time: Jan 5, 2008, 02:05 PM #18 of 28
2 points: Art of Fighting 2 Image Album - Eikou e no jokyoku (Micky Rogers)
2 points: Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage
2 points: www.huelsbeck.com - Timeless Passion

Nom time:
  • Album Title: Crusader: No Regret (PC Game Rip)
  • Artist: Dan Grandpre, Todd Parsons, Andrew Sega
  • Track Title: Ninth Crusade
  • Source: Rimo's rip
  • File Location: nominations folder
  • Disc Number: 2 (of 2)
  • Track Number: 02
  • Catalogue Number: N/A
  • Year: 1996
  • Additional Information: First level theme for the sequel this time.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:35 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2008, 06:35 PM #19 of 28
3 points: Bomberman Jetters (Game Rip) - Hot World
2 points: huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion
1 point: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2008, 03:42 PM #20 of 28
I'd better hurry up and get those votes in.

Art of Fighting 2 Image Album - Eikou e no jokyoku (Micky Rogers) This really reminds me of the theme to Rocky. It isn't bad--in fact I liked it--but the association was distracting.

Bomberman Jetters (Game Rip) - Hot World We all get the Bomberman Jitters once in a while. This is a cute little track that gets some good mileage out of classical oriental instruments used in an utterly, insanely hyperactive manner.

Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance Great synthy piece, reminiscent of some of the better Sonic tunes that I've heard.

Rockman X8 Original Soundtrack - Gateway Eligibility questions aside, I was afraid that this tune would be more regurgitation of the X series' sound, which I've never really liked and has indeed grown quite stale. But, happily, this is far moodier and involving, if short.

Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme Really terrific oboe (I think; maybe it's a clarinet) part, with great instrumental performances and melody all around. Extremely impressive.

Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage Capable techno-style chiptune that manages to create and sustain a lot of layers despite its limited technology.

Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi Pure goofy fun. Off-kilter beats combined with some nutty synths keep the energy level high while continuously pushing the tune hilariously out of whack.

huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion Interesting new agey synth piece. Dragged at times, but has some nice parts (and I was reminded of Alexander Brandon more than once, always a good thing)

Excellent week. The weakest track was still quite good, and there are easily enough terrific songs to win 4-6 other SotW's.

The Point Spread
Spathi - 3 pts.
Elan's Theme - 2 pts.
Leaf Amusement - 1 pt.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:33 PM #21 of 28
I'll nominate a classic

Space Quest 3
Closing Medley
Bob Seibenberg (IIRC)

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:04 PM #22 of 28
3 points: huelsbeck.com - Chris Huelsbeck's official Website - Timeless Passion
2 points: Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme
1 point: Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance
Close: Rockman X8 Original Soundtrack - Gateway

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:02 AM #23 of 28
EDITED WITH POINTS:

3 pts. - Opening - Elan's Theme
2 pts. - Eikou e no jokyoku (Micky Rogers)
1 pt. - Grand Finale Dance

The 1 pointer was pretty much a tossup. None of the other tracks grabbed me the way Opening and Eikou did.

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Jan 7, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:16 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2008, 09:16 PM #24 of 28
=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album Title: Hook (SNES Game Rip)
* Artist: Tetsuya Furumoto, Katsunori Ujiie
* Track Title: Neverland Tundra
* Source: SNESMusic.org, GameFAQs
* File Location: nom folder
* Track Number: 09
* Catalogue Number: none
* Year: 1992

I don't expect this to get a placing, but it's an old classic for me.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2008, 05:21 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2008, 03:21 AM #25 of 28
Voting is closed and nominations are restricted!

1). [28] www.huelsbeck.com - Timeless Passion
2). [20] Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W: Endless Duel (Game Rip) - Airport ~ Heavyarms Stage
3). [18] Royal Blood - Opening - Elan's Theme
4). [15] Leaf Amusement Soft Vol.4 Special Sound CD - Grand Finale Dance
5). [13] Bomberman Jetters (Game Rip) - Hot World
6). [11] Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (Game Rip) - Spathi
7). [5] Art of Fighting 2 Image Album - Eikou e no jokyoku (Micky Rogers)
8). [4] Rockman X8 Original Soundtrack - Gateway

Undertale (PC, 2015)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 117 Voting/WEEK 118 Nominating