Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Hard Drive Boot Problems

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2007, 04:03 PM #1 of 11
Hard Drive Boot Problems

Alright, so I was trying to install XP on my computer to see if I could get something to work. Normally I run Vista.

Something went wrong with the XP install, and my computer decides not to boot up again. In fact, the hard drive is freezing the BIOS at the logo screen. (Gateway logo, Intel inside, Boot Menu button, Setup button). I try to press the boot menu button, the motherboard buzzes. I try the setup button, nothing works.

I proceed to try to use other HDs in the computer, they work, but none of them have operating systems so they're useless. I try to put my other hard drive in a different computer and install XP on the partition again to no avail. I then try to install Vista using a disc I know works, and it does install. It boots and everything. From there, I try to put it back into my computer, but I get the same problem. Its not getting past the logo screen. I tried resetting my BIOS to the default values but thats not quite working either.

In conclusion, it seems the hard drive isn't dead, but it won't boot on my computer for some reason and I don't know why. It's very eerie and frustrating, so please help.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:36 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2007, 05:36 PM #2 of 11
Does the hard drive show up at all in the BIOS, or will it not even get that far? If you can get into the BIOS, see if it recognizes the drive correctly, and also see if you can run any SMART tests there as well.

I also recommend hooking up this oddball drive to another computer, give it a thorough format, double-check your jumpers, and try it again. If that doesn't work, then it's likely that something in the drive is fucked up beyond simple repair and it's destined for a RMA or the junkheap.

Most amazing jew boots
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:04 PM #3 of 11
Does the hard drive show up at all in the BIOS, or will it not even get that far? If you can get into the BIOS, see if it recognizes the drive correctly, and also see if you can run any SMART tests there as well.

I also recommend hooking up this oddball drive to another computer, give it a thorough format, double-check your jumpers, and try it again. If that doesn't work, then it's likely that something in the drive is fucked up beyond simple repair and it's destined for a RMA or the junkheap.
I can't get that far in the BIOS. I hook it up as a slave drive on my mom's computer and it works fine. I would just format if it weren't for important data that I have on the computer. I would back it up but I have no where to put all of it: It's about 30GB of stuff. I might just buy a new hard drive but I don't know. I want to exhaust all other options before I pull out my wallet.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:18 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2007, 09:18 AM #4 of 11
If you can hook it up as a slave drive, then backup all your data from there. Then feel free to reformat. 30GB isn't too much if you have a DVD burner. It'd take just 7 DVDs.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 06:12 PM #5 of 11
burned my shit and got out of there. Formatted. Nothing. It still won't boot. I have no clue what to do now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 06:28 PM #6 of 11
It works fine on your moms computer because it's not being used a boot drive.

I don't know what your problem is, could be physical(the drive itself). Doesn't make any sense for a program to rewrite HDD boot settings, especially if it's the primary drive. Atleast you have your data. My secondary went out and took 74 gigs with it. -___________________-.

But is your HDD a Western Digital?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 06:30 PM #7 of 11
It works fine on your moms computer because it's not being used a boot drive.

I don't know what your problem is, could be physical(the drive itself). Doesn't make any sense for a program to rewrite HDD boot settings, especially if it's the primary drive. Atleast you have your data. My secondary went out and took 74 gigs with it. -___________________-.

But is your HDD a Western Digital?
Yeah, a WD1600. I'm thinking about just buying a 500GB drive and an external enclosure and being done with this. I can't leech other peoples computers for much longer and its really pissing me off having limited capability of what I can do.

FELIPE NO
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 06:35 PM #8 of 11
That is your problem.....

Western Digital hardrives are not durable. Everybody has problems with them. Infact that is one that died on me. It wouldn't boot and made clicking sounds. God I'm glad that wasn;t my primary or I'd be fucked cause this the only computer I have. Took it to best buy and they said the arm inside broke off and it'd cost 500$ to fix it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 06:38 PM #9 of 11
Well yeah, I hear they aren't the best but its not like its been through any physical wear and tear since I can do everything with it except boot as master. I was thinking maybe installing XP fucked with the boot record, but I figured deleting the XP from that partition and reinstalling Vista would fix the problem. It didn't and now I'm fucked.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sausageboots
Objection!

Member 3683

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:24 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2007, 04:24 PM #10 of 11
arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Apr 10, 2007, 01:37 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2007, 10:37 PM #11 of 11
Honestly, I'd check the motherboard as well as the hard disk cable to see if there are any errors; it looks like your hard drive is working fine, since it was detected on a slave to another computer and was able to be backed up successfully.

Understandably, I only prefer Seagate drives (over Western Digital), however WD drives still don't die all the time for at least approximately 1-3 years.

My final word of caution: do a very strong (i think it was a /F and /R options) dskchk on your hard drive to assure that no sectors are missing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Hard Drive Boot Problems