Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

World of Warcraft movie

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 05:57 PM #26 of 49
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
I dunno, Warcraft has always had a cartoonier style and humor.
Yes, but the stories are serious. The CG sequences in Warcraft III were fairly realistic. I don't see why the movie wouldn't be like this.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:44 AM #27 of 49
Bumping this up. 3 year necro!

Originally Posted by Blizzard, Inc
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – July 22, 2009 -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment®’s award-winning Warcraft® universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.

Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, which has broken box-office records around the world and garnered five Academy Award® nominations. Known for his imaginative filmmaking style, richly drawn characters and offbeat humor, Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic, The Evil Dead and produced 30 Days Of Night. He most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller, Drag Me To Hell.

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Charles Roven’s producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary’s Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi’s producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi’s partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

"Partnering with Sam Raimi exemplifies Legendary's mandate of marrying the highest quality intellectual property to world-class filmmakers" said Legendary’s Tull. "Sam's passion for 'Warcraft' is undeniable and we know that he will create an incredible film worthy of Blizzard's phenomenal franchise. We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Warner Bros. and continuing our successful relationship with Chuck in bringing this rich new world to the screen."

"Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."
Sam Raimi is an interesting choice, but I just hope it doesn't fail completely. I didn't care for Spiderman 2 and 3 and have yet to see Drag Me to Hell (heard it wasn't too bad, so I'll have to check it out.) Guess we'll be seeing Bruce Campbell in it in some form or fashion since he's in just about everything Raimi does.

Guess the discussion about what direction they take the movie can start. Like where which timeline it is set in, who the heroes are going to be, etc...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:17 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2009, 11:17 AM 1 #28 of 49
Spiderman 2 was the best one, you little fucker.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:57 PM #29 of 49
Maybe I was just "Spider-Man"d out after my friends would always want to watch the first one. I'll give it another watch and see if my opinion on it has changed.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:23 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2009, 10:23 PM #30 of 49
The worst part about this film will be hearing the endless legions of fans who wont shut up about how it isn't what they envisioned.

But it's got a competent director and studio behind the helm so...we'll see where it goes...or if it even gets off the ground.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:31 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2009, 07:31 PM #31 of 49
Hmm, I made a journal entry about this, didn't know there was an existing thread. Well, I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but then again I don't really see the need to hate on it either. Its just a series of games at its core. Still, I have found the background story to be interesting to a degree when it isn't dragged down by gameplay mechanics or retcons.

The two Spider-Man movies were enjoyable, and I just pretend the third movie doesn't exist. So far this system has worked out great for me.

As for the Alliance POV, that kind of sucks, but given the single piece of concept art being one of the ancient magic trees of lore, it might be that 'Alliance' in this case means Night Elves and not the whole shebang, since they live for thousands of years or so I've read.

FELIPE NO
Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:01 AM 1 #32 of 49
I can only pray that this is half as awesome as the dungeons and dragons movie was.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:48 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2009, 09:18 PM #33 of 49
I can only pray that this is half as awesome as the dungeons and dragons movie was.
You thought the dungeons and dragons movie was awesome.

Are you out of your god forsaken mind. That was a horrible movie.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Brunotwirl
Banned

Member 34078

Level 1.73

Jul 2009

Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:49 AM #34 of 49
so long as the movie's starring the orcs, it will be great.
Thats great but if they start dancing like Mc Hammer...

I don't know, personaly I would like the movie to focus around Warcraft 2, if you think about it, thats back when warcraft was all about Orc versus Human. WC3 was like that as well as TFT but it drifted to carecraft with the whole uneasy truce bullcrap.

WOW has attracted so many people because they reached out beyound the core base and did so by endless grind fest, items , quests, side quests, story lines etc which attracted a lot of people that an MMO otherwise would not attract. This lead to WARcraft being CAREcraft.

So if they make a movie I'll be wondering if its going to be ORC and allies versus Human or Orc, Human versus Undead...

I guess the best bet would be an opening scene of the days of WC 2 than fast forward to the start of Warcraft 3 and follow that story line till world of carecraft came out. You could easly fit 3 movies in that time line.

Most amazing jew boots
SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:05 PM #35 of 49
I guess the best bet would be an opening scene of the days of WC 2 than fast forward to the start of Warcraft 3 and follow that story line till world of carecraft came out. You could easly fit 3 movies in that time line.
I believe they've already came out and said it'll take place in the time frame between Warcraft III and World of Warcraft.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

I have nothing clever to put here.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:25 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2009, 05:25 PM #36 of 49
I love how everyone focuses on Sam Raimi having made the Spiderman films and ignores the fact that he and Bruce Campbell were partly responsible for both Xena Warrior Princess and Hercules, two productions which I imagine would give a far better insight into how this film'll turn out than watching Spiderman would.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing because Xena and Hercules are both pretty funny, especially the episodes starring or directed by Bruce Campbell and a tongue in cheek funny WoW film is guaranteed to be better than one that takes itself too seriously.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:45 AM #37 of 49
I love how everyone focuses on Sam Raimi having made the Spiderman films and ignores the fact that he and Bruce Campbell were partly responsible for both Xena Warrior Princess and Hercules, two productions which I imagine would give a far better insight into how this film'll turn out than watching Spiderman would.
Or even a precursor to Hercules/Xena - Darkman. Then again, Raimi and Tapert are producing that AWFUL Legend Of The Seeker show, so...

Raimi is a trick hat. Everyone remembers him for the Evil Dead schtick and yet no one cites his best movie by far (A Simple Plan).

SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2009, 04:38 PM #38 of 49
Maybe true, but you also have to figure Raimi didn't exactly have the budget for those two shows that were primarily made for syndication. Blizzard is pretty much throwing close to 200 million at this project. I have a feeling he's going to be able to do a lot more visually.

I have nothing clever to put here.
Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2009, 04:40 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2009, 02:40 PM #39 of 49
(A Simple Plan).
Raimi did that? I fucking loved that movie.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2009, 05:10 PM #40 of 49
Raimi did that? I fucking loved that movie.
It is by a wide margin one of the best thrillers ever made.

JewishNegroe
Banned

Member 34290

Level 2.00

Aug 2009

Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:03 PM #41 of 49
so long as the movie's starring the orcs, it will be great.
Yea but what if the movie orcs start dancing like McHammer?

Honestly I'll see the movie just because I played since Wc1-2-3-tft- ex WOW player. WOW turned the game series to crap and made it a carebear game.... Lets hope the movie does not reflect that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2009, 04:33 PM #42 of 49
Warcraft movie titled: Rise of the Lich King

Originally Posted by mmo-champion
Warcraft Movie Details, Including the New Title
Newsinfilm.com reported an interesting change to the IMDB page of the Warcraft movie ... it's now called Warcraft: The Rise of the Lich King.

Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have updated the IMDB page for the upcoming Warcraft movie. The title now reads Warcraft: The Rise of the Lich King and a tentative release of 2011 (likely during the summer). As announced in July, Sam Raimi will be directing the feature film based on the 15-year-old video game franchise.

Right away the subtitle is an obvious reference to the most recent World of Warcraft expansion released in November 2008 titled “Wrath of the Lich King.” It was (and still is) the fastest selling computer game of all time, setting the record at 2.8 million copies in the first 24 hours.

Speculation has begun that it could also be linked to the best-selling Christie Golden novel bearing the same subtitle. The book draws heavily from the lore established in Warcraft III and its Frozen Throne expansion pack and tells the story of Arthas Menethil from age 10. (Read more on Newsinfilm.com)
The article was just taken down from mmo-champ. So I'm listing this as a "rumor" just incase someone was having a little "fun" over at IMDB (which is always a huge possibility)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Jessykins

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:22 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2009, 01:22 PM #43 of 49
That story by itself is a pretty good stand-alone tale to work with though. I'd honestly rather see that than just some HUMANS VERSUS ORCS ARGH bullshit. Especially since by nature it'd have to end on a down note.

How ya doing, buddy?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2009, 06:33 PM #44 of 49
It was debunked as far as I know. I think it was someone at IMDB being a shithead as the title was recently changed back from Rise of Arthas to just "Warcraft". Makes sense since Metzen has stated that the movie wouldn't be about Arthas but still like a year before WoW. But I dunno.

The book was good enough and actually wouldn't mind seeing it turned into a movie (if handled right).

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2015, 07:55 AM #45 of 49
I know this thread is older than aged dirt, but we finally have a trailer and release date for this movie:

Warcraft Trailer

Directed by Duncan Jones (who reworked the script from being all about Alliance to a mixture of both Alliance and Horde). Based off of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans.

Looks neat.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Nov 8, 2015, 05:14 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2015, 12:14 AM #46 of 49
i was going to post something snarky, like a literal transcript of that trailer, but you know, i appreciate how colorful the movie seems. colors are cool! a lot of these fantasy movies seem pretty gray in comparison, i dunno why. i guess it's more epic.

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Ah! Amoeba
"You mean the movies lied?"

Member 177

Level 31.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:07 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2016, 12:07 AM #47 of 49
The director's past work (Moon <3), and the personal story behind this movie being made has me interested in checking it out, despite the warning signs of "bloated cg summer moviecorpse".

Hope the movie makes money, David Bowie's Son.

FELIPE NO
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2016, 05:02 PM #48 of 49
Some mainstream critics are slamming this hard. Going as far as calling it a Lords of the Rings, ripoff. However, fans of Warcraft itself are saying how amazing it is. Even some people who didn't know what it was all about are liking it, leaving them wanting for another one. It's already made something close to like $40 million in the markets that it has opened in though, so that's something.

I don't know how well it'll do when released next weekend stateside and in China, but I'm hoping it makes enough to warrant another Warcraft movie. What they'll do for the next one, I have no idea. Maybe go into Frozen Throne?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > World of Warcraft movie