Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamers Month - F-Zero GX

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2009, 02:48 PM Local time: May 8, 2009, 09:48 PM 1 #1 of 16
(EDIT: Sorry if I went ahead of you that had May 7th. Time zones you know :\)

F-Zero GX

Developer: Amusement Vision
Publisher: Sega
Platforms: Gamecube
Release date: September 2003 (North America)

'F-Zero GX' is a racing game released for the Gamecube in 2003, the series second game featuring real 3D graphics (the first one being 'F-Zero X' on N64). F-Zero debuted in the early 90's with 'F-Zero' on the SNES, being a fast and futuristic racer with the same Mode 7 technology graphics as Mario Kart, the pseudo-3D some of you may remember.

The game itself is pretty basic. It's a racing game, your task being piloting your ship past the finish line before everyone else. You get the ability to use short bursts of boost, and with some practice you may be able to use 'snaking' - a kind of drifting in snakey patterns for picking up speed. There are no offensive items or weapons to use, but you do have a health bar that depletes if you hit the walls.

You can choose from the usual Grand Prix-, Practice- and Time Trial mode, a story mode and a customization mode, the latter letting you build your own ship from a wide array of parts that you can buy with money you win from races. Some may say the customization mode offers deeper gameplay options, but I can't say I've spent much time in it. The different parts can affect your ships properties like speed, handling, durability and so on.

The Grand Prix mode lets you race in cups, each one containing five stages. What's more, each cup can be beaten in three different difficulties unlocking extras. The racer with the most points by the end of the tournament wins - much like in Mario Kart. Three cups will be available from the beginning while more can be unlocked by beating the former ones. If that isn't enough, there are more than 30 different vehicles to unlock.

The story mode tells the story of Captain Falcon and his adventures as a racer. This mode offers a slightly different kind of racing for each chapter, ranging from the usual one-on-one road races to blasting through a collapsing building on a time limit.

If you ask me, 'F-Zero GX' is not that much of a simple racing game as it is an experience. The reason I chose to do this game for the GFF Gamers Month is its stunning blend of visuals, music and most of all speed. Yes, this game is about speed. When racing you usually keep up a good 1500km/h of velocity, rarely slowing down even in curves. The games way to combine its visuals, music and speed is almost hypnotic. Whether you boost through the organical 'Greenplant', the capital 'Mute City' with its shimmering neon or the nocturnal rainy skies of 'Lightning' you'll be accompanied by fast and powerful beats often featuring heavy guitar riffs. The way the music blends in with your racing is ridiculousy well pulled off, and you feel motivated to go even faster. The feeling of saving up your three boosts and ripping 'em all off at once just seconds before the finish line, with music pumping through the speakers, is not one you get from many games.

There's something else worth mentioning in its own section. 'F-Zero GX' is freaking hard. I've thrown the majority of my Gamecube controllers into the wall thanks to this godforsaken hellspawn of a disc, and you know what? To this day, I haven't beat the story mode yet. I think there's 9 chapters. You're the kind of guy who goes through each cup on one sitting, unlocks the extra cups and then wins them too? Welcome to 'F-Zero GX', please prepare for a long session. You hit a falling boulder, getting stuck for a few seconds? Good luck keeping up with the rest. You think there's a barrier along this 3-meters-wide platform several kilometers up in the sky? No lol. You slip off, you're out .

I've never had so much FUN with a racing game as with F-Zero GX. It doesn't take realism too seriously, it's plain arcade action. Anyone looking for awesome and fast paced action racing should check this out, especially if you like games with challenge. You will not be finished with this game in the first week, and I'll doubt you'll find a racing game with the same blend of velocity, visuals and sound.

Note: You can not 'Falco Punch' in F-Zero GX.

Most amazing jew boots

Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:33 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2009, 01:33 PM #2 of 16
I just checked it out on youtube, and I'm pretty surprised to see how fast paced it is.

I never really took much notice of the F-Zero games because my impression of the earlier installments was that they lacked speed compared to extreme G.
But then, that game was insane. Enter the xtreme cheat, enter the fisheye cheat, choose the Neon bike, drive through a nitro haze, boost one of your manual nitros.
The game just becomes stripes, like going into hyperspace.

Absolutely magnificent and unplayable.

I'll surely check out F-Zero GX after I get around to playing XGRA, which I finally tracked down last year for Pal GCN.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
BlindMonk
A ride! Now that's a good idea!

Member 28143

Level 18.68

Feb 2008

Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:41 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2009, 11:41 AM #3 of 16
Well, F-Zero GX goes almost that fast and it's playable

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:36 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2009, 02:36 PM #4 of 16
after I get around to playing XGRA,
You poor, poor man.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:27 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 08:27 AM #5 of 16
That doesn't sound too good :x

Granted, I did not exactly look at any reviews before getting it...

How horrible could it be.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:13 AM #6 of 16
That doesn't sound too good :x

Granted, I did not exactly look at any reviews before getting it...

69 average for a mediocre multi-platform racing game or an 89 average for a superb racing game for the Gamecube.

THE DECISION IS YOURS.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:29 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 09:29 AM #7 of 16
Looking at the bright side, playing GX will be so much more awesome afterwards.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:53 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 01:53 AM 1 #8 of 16
XGRA is considerably worse than XG-3 and arguably the worst in the series.

Gone are 3's buyable upgrades, moving you straight into a class system much akin to Wipeout's. (Class up just means automatic stats up). While not horrible, part of the fun and sense of progression of 3 was this customization aspect.

Track design is worse. By the time you get going to the ballin' ass speeds you were talking about above, with the blur effect and the HOLY DOG SHIT LOOK AT THIS (which is admittedly awesome), you're going to end up in a wall. It's actually more distracting than cool in this iteration.

There's also a new weapon that's this ion cannon deal which is entirely fucking gamebreaking. It's so much more powerful than anything else in the game, and it's actually pretty common. Imagine if you could get blue shells at any position in Mario Kart, and you were able to pick a target? Yeah.

Also motherfucker's got framerate issues.

It is, in all ways, worse than 3. Stick with that one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 15, 2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: spellin'
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:15 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 10:15 AM #9 of 16
Or rather, stick with F-Zero GX, because shit is just awesome.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:19 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 08:19 AM #10 of 16
Or rather, stick with F-Zero GX, because shit is just awesome.
This.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:35 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 10:35 AM #11 of 16
Track design is worse. By the time you get going to the ballin' ass speeds you were talking about above, with the blur effect and the HOLY DOG SHIT LOOK AT THIS (which is admittedly awesome), you're going to end up in a wall. It's actually more distracting than cool in this iteration.

Aw shit, more often than not they seem take something that works, then smash it. The track design you mentioned is the dealbreaker. Even XGIII was on the verge of being annoying, or maybe I didn't spent enough time with it.

Some of my fond memories of the first one, was the ability to speed up and keep it on max for the most of the tracks. It was hard, yes, and you had milliseconds to react, but it was possible. Owning a track like that made you feel awesome.

If my memory serves me right, every track of XGIII made you slow down to nothing at some point, because the corner would otherwise be impossible to take. If I wanted breaking/accelerating tactics, I'd play Formula One or something like that.

The "awesome" extreme G racing game I'm describing is a reaction-minigame, I guess.

F-Zero GX seems to be up that alley though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:42 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 01:42 AM #12 of 16
Speaking of which, the music in the game is also awesome:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:51 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 10:51 AM #13 of 16
More like needs more Osc-Sync Carnival.

YouTube Video

Best part was obviously trash-talking in the TV interviews. not really

I do hope X cup returns in the next installment.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 15, 2009 at 03:53 AM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:59 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2009, 02:59 AM #14 of 16
Get fucked.

YouTube Video

NOW we're doing it right.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:16 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2009, 02:16 AM #15 of 16
Brace for impact.

YouTube Video

FELIPE NO
Darkk Child
HATER PROOF

Member 827

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:04 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2010, 04:04 PM #16 of 16
My brother loves the F-Zero series.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles > Gamers Month - F-Zero GX