Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Hip Hop/Rap Thread

Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hopeā„¢

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 12:27 AM #51 of 302
T.I. - Still Ain't Forgave Myself
Tonedeff - Porcelain

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
navyseals
Amusing Dick

Member 3499

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:31 AM #52 of 302
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
Capo and everyone else ~ What did you all think of the album I posted?
I actually thought the beats were (mostly) fire. track 3 kills it. havent given it all a proper listen just yet. sort of reminds me of all natural, not that I ever really listened to them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:34 AM #53 of 302
Well, their main focus wasn't the beats at all. I thought it was a little strange when I heard them myself. Too bad I have no idea what they're up to see if they made another album.

I was speaking idiomatically.
KCJ506
Fuck you assholes

Member 809

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:49 PM #54 of 302
A lot of people seem to think that that all rappers talk about "money, hoes, drinking. etc" Back in the early days there were alot of artists who kept it positive:

Run-DMC
The Fat Boys
Beastie Boys
KRS-One
Public Enemy
Ed OG And The Bulldogs
Salt-N-Pepa
DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince
Whodini
Krushin MC's

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 05:57 PM #55 of 302
Sorry, but back in the early days, the Beastie Boys were not "keeping it positive". They picked that up later.

"Girls - to do the dishes
Girls - to clean up my room
Girls - to do the laundry
Girls - and in the bathroom
Girls, that's all I really want is girls
Two at a time I want girls
With new wave hairdos I want girls
I ought to whip out my girls, girls, girls, girls, girls!"

And how the hell do you put KRS-One and Public Enemy in the same group as Will Smith?

FELIPE NO
navyseals
Amusing Dick

Member 3499

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:51 AM #56 of 302
I hate it when people run their mouths about how hip hop used to be all good and positive.

the genre has only been around 20-30 years so its still evolving. the old school stuff is great but I prefer to listen to mid 90s onwards. hip hop is better now than it ever was.

also, Proof is dead. not like I was ever a fan or even listened to his music but,

Quote:
SOHH.com has just learned that Proof of D12 was shot and killed in the 8 mile section of Detroit early this morning.

Though details are still sketchy, sources say Proof (born DeShaun Holton) was shot at a night club called Triple C's on 8 mile and Gratiot around 4.am. A SOHH.com source in Detroit revealed that another person was struck during the shooting. Bizarre of D12 is rumored to be the second victim. It's uncertain whether he was with Proof at the time of the incident. Word is Biz has yet to be accounted for. According to preliminary reports, multiple batteies were found at the scene of the crime. Police have speculated this may be the work of Assult & Batteries Crew, who D12 had a beef with. Rapper Cage, who alledgedly goes by the alias 'Duracell' is a suspect, Police say. Reports say the second victim remains in critical condition. His name has yet to be released. Proof was taken to St. John Holy Cross Hospital while the second victim was taken to St. John Hospital. According to police, both victims succumbed to a gunshot wound to the head.
Quote:
Breaking news
D12 rapper Proof killed in shooting at afterhours nightclub

April 11, 2006

Email this Print this BY BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Rapper Proof of the hip-hop group D12 was shot and killed this morning at an illegal afterhours club on Eight Mile, police said.
Proof, whose real name is Deshaun Holton, was dead on arrival at Conner Creek Medical Center in Detroit, according to a spokeswoman for St. John Health System. He was 32.
Proof was among the most pivotal players on the Detroit hip-hop scene, and revered as one of the best freestyle MCs in the city. He befriended Eminem long before he was a houshold name, and was a nearly constant presence as the rapper rose to superstardom. He toured with Eminem as his on-stage hype man, was a member of his group D12, had a bit role in the "8 Mile" movie and served as the best man at his wedding in January.
An unidentified 35-year-old man, who was shot along with Proof, is in critical condition at Detroit's St. John Hospital.
Police were called to the shootings around 5 a.m, following reports of a fight and shots fired. Police have speculated the murderers may be a part of Detroit clique 'Assult & Batteries' after a AA battery was found in Proof's chest.
The club where it occurred is called 3C, and it's at 8 Mile near Hayes. The club isn't illegal but it was operating illegally after hours.
This is the second shooting involving Eminem's entourage in three months.
Another Eminem pal and rapper Obie Trice was shot and wounded New Year's Eve while driving along the Lodge Freeway.
Anyone with information on the shootings is asked to call Detroit Police at 313-596-2260.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by navyseals; Apr 11, 2006 at 10:33 AM.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:58 AM #57 of 302
Originally Posted by navyseals
I hate it when people run their mouths about how hip hop used to be all good and positive.

the genre has only been around 20-30 years so its still evolving. the old school stuff is great but I prefer to listen to mid 90s onwards. hip hop is better now than it ever was.

also, Proof is dead. not like I was ever a fan or even listened to his music but,
I heard about this, man that sucks I really liked Proof and D12 they had a funny crazy style.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:14 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 08:14 AM #58 of 302
Speaking of positivity...

Quote:
Pound for pound
I'm the most positive when I bust mine
The Zoo adds on like a plus sign
Addition, that's the key in the ignition
With no pause, I propel to pole position (Vroom!)
Ahead of the pack, light years ahead of the wack
I give a fiend a Good Book, instead of the crack
That's the gold mine, negativity can't hold mine
The black bear's headed for the gold mine (look out, look out)
And then I'm positive as Showtime
I make negative MC's switch styles in no time
They change teams, rhyme about kings and queens
Instead of how they sellin' work to fiends
Then I, switch thugs into soldiers
Those that have given up on God to praise J Hova (Damn!)
The rap Ice Age is over
And positivity protects the Z boulder boulder

[Chorus - Immortal Technique w/ Big Zoo ad-libs]
Yeah, you know how it goes, positivity, yeah
My opinion is solid ground but your a common hater
Splitting and dividing on numbers like a denominator
Third-eye navigator movements are necessary
Everything you see in videos is secondary
You need positivity like you need respect in jail
Because without balance you'll be making negative record sales
Neg-neg-negative record sales, ziga-zam, Technique, like this

[Verse 2 - Immortal Technique]
I jerk off inside books and give life to words
Leaving concepts stuck together you probably never heard (what?)
[hahaha]
I love when people think I'm psychologically disturbed
Cause it means I overloaded their neurological nerves
Rappers try to serve me with disgusting incompetence
But I keep it positive with ultimate dominance
Meditating with Native Americans close to Providence
I speak to the spirits of ancestors at pow-wows
But rumor has it that you getting raped like Lil' Bow Wow
Now listen industry motherfuckers, don't get offended
Remember, that I'll bring an end to your pretender agenda
And render contenders dismembered, bend the fabric of time (what? what?)
And put your soul in a blender
You living a lie like thinking Jesus was born in December
Instead of catering to labels, something gotta give
I'll rip the electrons out your body and make you positive
I seen a lot of kids come and go with marketing gimmicks
Because without balance, you don't last more than a minute
This ain't a game, I'll beat the shit out you at the line of scrimmage
I rock shows in the ghetto, nigga you stuck in the village
I wanted to spit on the radio since I was eleven
But I can't afford the pay-ola for Hot 97's
So I make paper underground, and I'm soon to blow
Moving tapes like Biggie's ghost at Bad Boy studios
[Biggie - Hypnotize sample]
Sup Tech.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:13 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:13 PM #59 of 302
damn i liked proof the most. Lol, 8 mile too. Em is probably gonna do a special for him. I have to admit that i actully like Eminem when he's not playing retarded (like most of his earlier songs) some of his shit is awesome.

no homo
KCJ506
Fuck you assholes

Member 809

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:11 PM #60 of 302

RIP

It's gonna be pretty hard to look at Eminem's video for Toy Soldiers.

How ya doing, buddy?
Crowdmaker
I should be working

Member 950

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:11 PM #61 of 302
Damn. It's a real shame people can't just make music without having to take things personal and resort to guns and homicide. Proof was probably the second-best lyricist in D-12 after Swift in my opinion, but he was definately unique and irreplacable.

Speaking of other great emcees out there -

"How many n***as that would actually kill still rhyming?
How many n***as that are actually signed still killing?"
- Talib Kweli in the ghostweed interlude, Art Official Intelligence - De la Soul

Apparently some.

How ya doing, buddy?
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:21 PM #62 of 302
I don't know what to think anymore. Like someone mentioned before, clumping these two genres together is..well, you know. Okay, I can't think of the word, hush.

I prefer Hip-Hop, though.

And yes, I heard about Proof. I don't know much about him, but it's a shame that had to..well, go down like that. Man, why are all the good rappers dieing on us? Why is Vanilla Ice still alive? How the hell did 50 Cent survive?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
KCJ506
Fuck you assholes

Member 809

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:26 PM #63 of 302
This has to be a pretty tough time for Eminem right now. His divorce and Proof getting killed.

Just what do all these killings achieve? I'll tell you what they achieve. Not a damn thing. Some people take beefs a little too far and decide to take extreme actions, which results in senseless deaths. Look at all of the rappers who have been killed due to violence; I counted about 10, but there may be more. A few well known ones are:

Biggie Smalls- died 3-9-97
Tupac Shakur- died 9-13-96
Jam Master Jay- died 10-30-02
Soulja Slim- 2-14-04(I'm told)

Then others like Mac Dre, Big L, Mr. C from RBL Posse, some guy from U.N.L.V. based out of New Orleans and even more. It's just that some people take it a little too far and instead of being grown up about their problems and discussing them like men, people want to murder, which is unjustified.

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:36 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 05:36 PM #64 of 302
Originally Posted by KCJ506
Just what do all these killings achieve? I'll tell you what they achieve. Not a damn thing. Some people take beefs a little too far and decide to take extreme actions, which results in senseless deaths. Look at all of the rappers who have been killed due to violence; I counted about 10, but there may be more.

It's just that some people take it a little too far and instead of being grown up about their problems and discussing them like men, people want to murder, which is unjustified.
No shit. Murder = Bad.

Not to say it isn't sad when anyone dies, but it's not like murder is something new that's happening. It's not a problem in the rap scene so much as a problem with society as a whole.

How ya doing, buddy?
navyseals
Amusing Dick

Member 3499

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:06 PM #65 of 302
circle of life. stop getting so attached to these humans. death is just another part of life...

also
Quote:
Pound for pound
I'm the most positive when I bust mine
The Zoo adds on like a plus sign
one of the best tracks on that album IMO. "Neg-neg-negative record sales, ziga-zam"

Plug 4
チャールズ

Member 5044

Level 5.75

Apr 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:46 PM #66 of 302
for me, still now, Hiphop is dead...it aint like it used to be... there's still some good bands. Dont get me wrong. The roots, cunninlynguits, Common...hey I even like Kanye west haha..

But when you compare hiphop from the end of 80s and beg of 90s...the quality of hiphop is far from what it was back in the days... I lost a lot of feelings and involvement in the hiphop culture in the past 2 yrs...sadly...But i have hope..

Most amazing jew boots
Pill
Everything I do is a balloon

Member 2127

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 09:54 PM #67 of 302
I've heard some people say that underground rap is a vendetta against mainstream rap?
I don't know, I haven't heard any, but damn.. I sure wish 50 Cent hadn't survive those 9 shots.

navyseals
Amusing Dick

Member 3499

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:46 AM #68 of 302
Originally Posted by Pill
I've heard some people say that underground rap is a vendetta against mainstream rap?
yes, a lot of underground MCs are obsessed with how bad the mainstream is. lately I'm starting to find this kind of music equally annoying *cough*uglyduckling*cough*.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
KCJ506
Fuck you assholes

Member 809

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 03:10 AM #69 of 302
Originally Posted by Pill
I don't know, I haven't heard any, but damn.. I sure wish 50 Cent hadn't survive those 9 shots.
Damn man. That's harsh. Shoot I wouldn't wish death on my worst enemy.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:13 PM #70 of 302
Originally Posted by Plug 4
for me, still now, Hiphop is dead...it aint like it used to be... there's still some good bands. Dont get me wrong. The roots, cunninlynguits, Common...hey I even like Kanye west haha..

But when you compare hiphop from the end of 80s and beg of 90s...the quality of hiphop is far from what it was back in the days... I lost a lot of feelings and involvement in the hiphop culture in the past 2 yrs...sadly...But i have hope..
OMG!!! You didn't mention The Roots! Have you given up on them?

How ya doing, buddy?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:22 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 10:22 PM #71 of 302
None of you happen to have Dexter's Laboratory - The Hip Hop Experiment, would you?

It was a great album and I need it in VBR.

Thought I'd just throw that out there >_>

FELIPE NO
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:23 PM #72 of 302
Nope, sorry, that's one I don't have.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Contracts
Chocobo

Member 1639

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:10 AM #73 of 302
Ahh, Some artists everyone here should peep is Binary Star, They're amazing and they give away they're first two albums for free, So if anyone wants here's the link:

http://www.subterraneousrecords.com/ww.html
http://www.subterraneousrecords.com/motu.html

Trust me there VERY iLL if you listen closely to there lyrics.

XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:15 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 08:15 PM #74 of 302
Originally Posted by Rollins
Hey, I'm wondering, what your take on Jurassic Five? I haven't heard much from them recently, but I associate them with the more classic hip-hop scene (even if they've been a bit more recent). I definitely distinguish them from the "mainstream" in that they're definitely more about the rhymes and rhythm and just generally good music (to me anyway).
Thats the reason I like them so much. Thats all the sort of Hip Hop I generally go for as well. More along the lines of good simple emceeing (sp?) and great beats.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Euan_hmfc
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4494

Level 1.60

Apr 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:27 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 08:27 PM #75 of 302
Has anyone here heard of Sage Francis? I really like his music, particularly in "A healthy distrust." A great album in my book!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Hip Hop/Rap Thread