Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

SOUL EATER

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2008, 06:02 AM 1 #1 of 15
SOUL EATER

SOUL EATER

Summary, from ANN:

Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a "Death Scythe" and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch.*

*it's much cooler than it sounds

I love BONES. That's the only reason I'm watching this. Call me ignorant but anime after Eureka seveN was terrible, until now. Oh my God the animation on this is even better than E7.

I read this manga and it's truly an interesting series. They do tend to focus on the humor a lot, which I admit has made me chuckle, but they do not by ANY means skimp on the action sequences. Oh my god the action sequences.

Glad to see its at 51 episodes, but I'd really love to see an ongoing series out of this, since it is a pretty long running manga. (Volume 12 now, I believe?)

Oh well, funds for movie-quality animation doesn't grow on trees, I suppose.

Watch this or give up on life.

I'll fancy this up when I'm feeling like doing extra work for no reason.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by UltimaIchijouji; May 18, 2008 at 06:09 AM.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2008, 06:28 AM Local time: May 18, 2008, 01:28 PM #2 of 15
I don't like Bones at all, but this show KICKS ASS. Somebody had a vision, this is so stylish and SO funny. And the action sequences are actually fairly decent, and even the 3D/CG/effecty stuff doesn't look too bad.

Where this show really shines though is in the casting of the voices. Maka and Soul have such unique voices it's amazing, and I love the way Death the Kid and his twin guns, Patty and Liz, interact. The chemistry and friction between the teams and their members is palpable, it's really good stuff.

Definitely my favorite show of the year so far. It's also the first time I've watched an anime in HD on my 360, and this show is definitely worth it with its sharp style and fast-paced animation.

The only thing I'm worried about is that this will become one of those endless shows that drag on and on, like One Piece or so. I know the show's been announced to be 50-something episodes, but it's not unheard of that they stretch it to infinity if the show turns out to be a success. I hope they'll be able to keep the pacing as it is now, and that it doesn't become too serious, if that happens.

But I'll definitely ride the high while it lasts, it's awesome so far. Give it a chance, you won't be disappointed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by surasshu; May 18, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2008, 06:31 AM 3 #3 of 15
Maka and Soul have such unique voices it's amazing, and I love the way Death the Kid and his twin guns, Patty and Liz interact.
The VA for Maka is actually completely new. As in, this is the first thing she's ever done. I kind of wish she'd put more... emotion into her lines. She uses the same tone of voice for everything.

Other than that, the show is fantastic. Shonen flavor of the month nonsense aside, if they keep their word about 51 episodes only we'll be in business.

Black Star sucks, also.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

#654: Braixen
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2008, 08:47 AM Local time: May 18, 2008, 03:47 PM #4 of 15
The VA for Maka is actually completely new. As in, this is the first thing she's ever done. I kind of wish she'd put more... emotion into her lines. She uses the same tone of voice for everything.
So far, I thought that it fit the character. But you're right, she does have a flat delivery. I really like her tone of voice though, so hopefully when the situation calls for it, she can conjure up the proper level of emotion.

I guess I was spot on about her sounding unique, anyway...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2008, 07:03 PM #5 of 15
The manga never has a boring spot, its fairly fast-paced (I own volue 1-9) so even if they extend the length it should be cool. So far we're through the first volume and halfway through the second. the next episode or two will through us into the third. The anime is actually moving quite fast, now that I think about it, and they haven't even cut anything out.

It's a pretty perfect manga-to-anime translation, scriptwise and everything theres not much extra.

Most amazing jew boots
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 19, 2008, 11:10 PM Local time: May 19, 2008, 08:10 PM #6 of 15
I saw the first episode, currently trying to find more of them out there.. and i thought it was great. I like the humor and Bones is unique. By the way, anyone know a decent place to get torrents of the episodes? I'm not having luck having been to 2-3 sites already and got mixed funsub groups.. i like to stick with one.

At first i thought it was a satire of Bleach, which in some parts it probably is.. but that's not it's aim at all. Besides the Shinagami aspects that are also in other animes when i saw the purple haired cat woman in the shows opening i kinda laughed cause i thought it was poking at Bleach but i guess it isn't at all.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2008, 11:24 PM #7 of 15
I've watched the first three episodes so far and I just can't seem to get into it. Maka and Soul both seem to be incredibly boring, but Black Star's duo and Death the Kid's team are both pretty good. If the rest of the series could just revolve around those two sets of characters then I could like this a lot more. Unfortunately, I doubt the main characters will be written out any time soon.

It's reassuring to hear that this is only planned to be a 51 episode series, though. Some of my hesitation was worrying that it would turn into another Bleach.

FELIPE NO
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2008, 11:46 PM Local time: May 19, 2008, 09:46 PM #8 of 15
I really can't get into the series much at this point and I'm only watching it because watching Maka go batshit nuts is awesome on a very simple level. Black Star gets annoying though because he pretty much just wants to be Hokage Shinigami and Death the Kid, while he has the cool blase attitude, has a shtick that's bound to get old really really quickly. At least the little comedic twist at the end of episode 5 was amusing and probably prevented me from dropping this series altogether at this point.

It doesn't change the fact that this is a series that falls under the turn-off-your-brain category.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2008, 01:19 AM Local time: May 20, 2008, 12:19 AM #9 of 15
Oh is that what this is all about? (Slightly NSFW)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 07:43 PM #10 of 15
Ok so episode 7 was amazing and 8 is going to be shitloads better. I know everything that happens since I've read the manga for a while now but it's great seeing it animated so magnificently.

Spoiler:
Chrona just makes everything exciting and interesting. Episode 8 with Stein/DeathScythe VS. Chrona and Stein/DeathScythe VS. Medusa is going to be one of the most satisfying experiences of this month for me.

How ya doing, buddy?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2008, 02:50 PM #11 of 15
Loving this series so much. And I have to say that do like Black Star's character or mostly his style and variety of moves. He reminds me of when naruto used to be cool. "When was naruto cool?" When you first saw the series and saw some of the unique strategies that naruto came up with when he was younger unlike the constant "ransegan" scream that we see now. but of course thats just me.

anyways episode 8
Spoiler:
It was awesome to see both the frankenstein and maka's father to go at it with the witch. I just hope there aren't too many episode without Soul although it does seem like there will be some funny interactions between Kid and Black Star

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

New Record!
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:52 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 10:52 PM #12 of 15
After 8 episodes, I have a hard time deciding whether or not I like this show.
Spoiler:
On one hand, the scenes that involved Medusa and Chroma were extremely good and putting her down as a schoolteacher at Shibusen means that they have an active antagonist which potentially increased the chances of a confrontation or a holy-shit-that-was-devious backstabbing.

On the other hand, the series's attempt at "humor" is very hit or miss. Most of its tries simply aren't all that amusing and even worse, it really disrupts the flow of the serious business going on. While another Bones show, FMA, threw it its bits of comedic relief, there wasn't so much that it became annoying. I rather enjoy FMA for that.

Maka's dad stands to be the most interesting character of the lot because his tendency to run off after anything with two X chromosomes is what leads to his estrangement with Maka in the first place. We know that he loves his daughter, but his clumsiness when it comes to expressing it doesn't help. In spite of his foibles, we root for him anyways because we know he has the best intentions at heart.

Episode 9:

Filler with some more of the aforementioned attempts at humor. That's about it really. I'm a bigger fan of the serious storylines in this show and I think if they had stuck to that, we'd have an awesome series in the end. But the fact that they keep making clumsy attempts at humor makes it really irritating really fast. BAH!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:42 PM #13 of 15
Bah, it's starting to stray a bit from the manga. Not by much though.

Spoiler:
Maka was supposed to get the Demon Hunter a little later and Kid never went to see Stein in his house. I hope this is a minor derailment and it's not where they permanently derail, because it gets pretty kickass from here in the manga.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:20 PM #14 of 15
well the manga was never that far ahead when the anime came out right? I'm guessing they may do a claymore and change the ending in some way. After the whole scene where the dude was released from shibusen and arachnophobia appeared is where I lost some interest in the show. Still sticking around for the end but I'm hoping Maka starts toughing up because I'm getting tired of her being punked and out shined by black star who just isn't any fun anymore :/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

New Record!
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:56 AM #15 of 15
well the manga was never that far ahead when the anime came out right? I'm guessing they may do a claymore and change the ending in some way. After the whole scene where the dude was released from shibusen and arachnophobia appeared is where I lost some interest in the show. Still sticking around for the end but I'm hoping Maka starts toughing up because I'm getting tired of her being punked and out shined by black star who just isn't any fun anymore :/
Well the Artifact gathering is over now, it gets a lot interesting now that Buttataki Joe has showed up (which is still fairly boring) but in another 3 or so episodes we'll get into the REALLY interesting arc where shit goes down. (but the manga is still in this arc)

I really hope they don't change the ending. Maybe do a season two instead. So much cool shit is happening in the manga right now that needs to be animated.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > SOUL EATER