Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Wrestler (2008)

Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:56 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2008, 07:56 PM #1 of 3
The Wrestler (2008)

Back in the late 80s, Randy The Ram Robinson (Mickey Rourke) was a headlining professional wrestler. Now, twenty years later, he ekes out a living performing for handfuls of diehard wrestling fans in high school gyms and community centers around New Jersey. Estranged from his daughter (Evan Rachel Wood) and unable to sustain any real relationships, Randy lives for the thrill of the show and the adoration of his fans. However, a heart attack forces him into retirement. As his sense of identity starts to slip away, he begins to evaluate the state of his life — trying to reconnect with his daughter, and striking up a blossoming romance with an exotic dancer (Marisa Tomei) who is ready to start a new life. Yet all this cannot compare to the allure of the ring and passion for his art, which threatens to pull Randy The Ram back into his world of wrestling. Director Darren Aronofsky presents a powerful portrait of a battered dreamer, who despite himself and the odds stacked against him, lives to be a hero once again in the only place he considers home inside the ring. THE WRESTLER had its North American premiere at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival and won the Golden Lion at the 2008 Venice Film Festival.

Genre: Drama
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Cast: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood

Trailer: YouTube - The Wrestler Trailer HD - www.LennonAldort.com

Looks pretty good. I don't think a fictional movie about someone in the wrestling business has been made before. It looks like it has a pretty typical sports movie premise, similar to Rocky and Cinderella Man, but I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:16 PM #2 of 3
Looks decent. Interestingly, I watched Verne Gagne version a fewmonths back and I wondered how things would look with an updated production team, etc. granted, this movie is very different from the previous one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2008, 06:39 AM #3 of 3
Nicholas Cage was cast for the lead role, then he dropped out shortly after. I can only think it was because he found out it wasn't all "fake" and didn't want to train or anything and figured he could let a stunt double do everything. (Could be wrong, but that's the feeling I got from hearing him dropped out.)

There's actually talk about this film getting an oscar. I know it's received a few Independent film awards/nominations. I'm sorta looking forward to seeing this and how it presents wrestling.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Wrestler (2008)