Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Chaos;Head - Welcome to the NHK meets Higurashi

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:39 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 01:39 AM #1 of 12
Chaos;Head - Welcome to the NHK meets Higurashi

Oh for the love of god, why is the screenshot thread the only one used here. In the interest of (hopefully) revitalizing this oft-forgotten forum I'll make a thread for my favorite Fall '08 shows from top to bottom in hopes that you guys will do the same. COMMENCE~
OK!

Synopsis: Takumi is a high school student who now lives in a storage unit on top of a building and would rather play MMORPGs all day instead of going to school. This habit, along with his terrible social skills, has caused him to be slightly deranged and delusional at times, making his connection to reality more tenuous. Even though his sister tries to get him to shake his hikikomori habits, the situation looks to be hopeless as he cares little for the 3D world.

That is, until one day, he gets a curious link from a user on IRC (or the Japanese equivalent thereof) and accidentally clicks on the picture file which showcases one in a string of horrific murders caught on camera in Japan's Akihabara district. Murders that, I might add, have been occurring with disturbing frequency. So one day, on a trip home from school, he stops by an internet cafe to indulge in his gaming habits and as he returns home for the night, he comes across the scene of yet another murder, with the victim pinned up to the walls by some cross-shaped nails. A girl wearing a school uniform was standing there, covered in blood and she turns to face Takumi, saying his name, which unnerves him completely and sends him fleeing the scene.

Back at home, with his mind is completely wrecked and the strange events are only beginning...

Thoughts: While Takumi may be a very dislikeable character, I still have to say this series has quite a bit of potential, owing in part because of how difficult it is to separate between delusional hallucinations and reality, so it's up to the viewer really to piece the clues together and come up with their own speculations. The other characters aren't really fleshed out just yet, but they do project an unnerving aura about them because it's so hard to figure out who to trust. The probability that the girls in particular are psychotic, insane, or murderous is going to be very high.

It also helps that the mystery aspects of this show draw you in with its unsettling atmosphere though and I'm looking to see where this show will take us. This is more pronounced given that the episodes that have been released so far only raise more questions than answers. No, I haven't played the game, so I'm basically going in blind without really knowing how the plot will go. Nevertheless, this is quite intriguing and I'm pretty much hooked.

Links (HD versions):
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Links (SD versions):
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Jam it back in, in the dark.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume

Last edited by zzeroparticle; Nov 4, 2008 at 02:04 AM.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:22 AM #2 of 12
Play. The. Visual Novel.

I don't even play VNs and I'm loving Chaos;Head, partly because the character designs and delusions in general are much more fleshed out/expanded in the game.

Can't argue with the series though, solid so far. The anime has the bonus of LIFE SIZE SEIRA, who doesn't really play any active role in the game. Here they got creative and made her seem real when Takumi is alone, but when someone else is present we always get the odd camera angle from the figures perspective as if to remind us that she isn't real. It's great.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

#654: Braixen
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:41 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 12:41 PM #3 of 12
Did you say this is like Higurashi? Oh... I'm sold already.

Gotta get busy watching this right now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:51 PM #4 of 12
Me too, although season 2 was pretty blah. DLing the eps now. Will watch this weekend.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:02 AM #5 of 12
Wow, this is strange timing. I just started rewatching Welcome to the NHK last night, and this sounds really interesting. NHK is one of my favorite shows, so I'm downloading this right now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Judge Ito
Wark!

Member 6355

Level 3.20

May 2006

Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:43 AM Local time: Oct 30, 2008, 11:43 PM #6 of 12
That's all that needs to be said, really.

Thanks for the info, zzeroparticle, I'll look into it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:34 PM #7 of 12
I finished watching Episode 3 tonight, wow. This is almost parallel to Higurashi, though I think it's even better in the sense that it doesn't require 2-3 episodes to start getting creepy. I've heard though that unfortunately Chaos;Head will only be 12 episodes, which makes me very sad

The main character is annoying though. I think I just had over inflated expectations that the hikarmori aspect of Takii would be alot funnier, turns out it's just grates on me after a while though.

Anyone know if the song "A Crucifixion of Faith" in Episode 3 sang by "FES" at the concert is an actual song or is it specific to the anime only?

Waiting most eagerly for ep 4 ^_^

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:44 PM #8 of 12
I just can't get into Chaos Head so far. Takumi (and of course Seira <3) are both nifty, and Takumi's story got a lot more interesting after ep. 3 sort of confirmed what I thought about his abilities. All the other characters are either incredibly obnoxious or just so cookie-cutter that they barely matter.

It's not really good or bad, but I'll keep watching since I've got no other new shows to keep up with right now except Casshern.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:29 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2008, 12:29 AM #9 of 12
I can see the argument that the other characters may be cookie cutter since a lot of the girls that have been introduced so far haven't gotten much in the way of character development. After all, at this point one of the girls is pretty much a Rei clone, Rimi takes the archetype of the girl who chases after Takumi in spite of his character defects, and then there's Takumi's chatty sister who cares a lot for him. But I'd argue that particular weakness is overcome by the fact that most of the girls that he encounters have this aura about them that doesn't exactly put the viewer at ease. So in a way, the atmosphere is what makes it really enjoyable and brings out enough about the characters to make them interesting.

Spoiler:
After all, we're not even certain whether Rimi is the culprit or not since the delusion vs. reality thing is difficult to distinguish. Killer schoolgirls isn't exactly a common trope (at least, among the shows I've seen so far), so to label that aspect of her being cookie cutter seems off somehow.

And then there's Yua. If Yua's a cookie cutter character to you, I'm going to have to request a list of titles that have characters like her since I can't seem to recall any at the top of my head.

episode 4 musings:
As for episode 4, I'd have to say that Takumi's monologues are fascinating in the way they reveal just how out of it he is. That, and the feeling that you get as though he were being isolated was just really well done.

Art quality did take a bit of a hit though. Not that I mind too much because at this point, it's just something to point out rather than actively criticize.

Still liking what I'm seeing so far. It's not blowing me away, but it's very competently done and I'm looking forwards to see where things head since the preview looked like it had some interesting moments.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:41 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2008, 03:41 PM #10 of 12
Anyone know if the song "A Crucifixion of Faith" in Episode 3 sang by "FES" at the concert is an actual song or is it specific to the anime only?
Yeah it's created specifically for the anime.

『磔のミサ』 / ファンタズム(FES cv.榊原ゆい)アニメ「カオスヘッド」挿入歌

Single's out at the end of the month.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:58 AM #11 of 12
Yua and Takumi's sister are the ones who fall into the "incredibly obnoxious" category. I couldn't stand the sister from the start, and as for Yua:
Spoiler:
As soon as she drops the whole galge act she has to repeat every sentence 4-5 times for some reason, and then she didn't even have a real point. "Yes, I just wanted to confirm that you knew what this knife I found in your room that's also been all over the news was." Christ, I thought she was going to get interesting, not deserving of a smack.

I'll grant you Rimi since she just sort of materialized out of nowhere, but the sister kind of ruined that by either making Takumi an idiot or creating a plot hole. She's obviously never met Rimi, said as much to Takumi, and he didn't pursue it. Then again, she also didn't recognize Yua after already meeting her so perhaps his sister just suffered a traumatic brain injury at some point. I'd accept that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2008, 05:27 AM #12 of 12
Totally can't participate here since I've finished the VN and know everything, but I will say Ban's makeover from the game to anime is terrible. I feel a lot is going to get cut out since there's only 12 episodes, I hope they don't butcher:

GAME SHIT:
Kozu-pii's "You are the best person ever but I will kill you! ^__^" scenes, as those were some of the best in the game. Yua plays a better role later in the game, but so far they've turned her into "FUCK YOU TAKUMI" mode. Have they showed any of the standalone Yua scenes where she's feeling sorry for him about his "multiple personalities"?

And that Nanami is the best.

So fucking cute.

How ya doing, buddy?

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Nov 4, 2008 at 05:29 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Chaos;Head - Welcome to the NHK meets Higurashi