Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Making an entrance the FORCE PUSH DOOR RAPE WAY.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:53 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 05:53 AM #26 of 54
Wow, that was fucking horrible.

Force grip is completely and utterly useless. Too slow, aiming it is a pain considering the camera angle you're working with. Sure, you can get used to it I guess, but it's hardly the stylish add on to combos I was hoping for. You have to come to a complete fucking stop to use it. Holy shit, whos' horrid idea was that.

And speaking of which, gotta love the targetting reticle on what you're actually gonna interact with. It's got a horrible mind of it's own. No. I don't want to pick up the mouse droid, how about the LARGE BARREL I WAS LOOKING AT.

Combat's stiff to boot, would have worked a lot better if it was more close quarters and less long range shit asking you to use the broke ass grip mechanic. Lack of being able to do anything out of the blocking stance is complete garbage though. Hell, corect me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you roll out of a block in fucking JEDI POWER BATTLES? Christ.

Anyway, demo saved me a bit of money at least. Wasn't likely to buy it outright but at least I won't have to bother with a rental. Go back to playing the Jedi Knight games, guys. Nothing to see here.

On a side note, I wonder what they're gonna retcon out at the end of this story. Unless they kill the main character, and I'd be surprised if they did, they'd have to explain his diddling about at a later point somehow. But it's not like Star Wars doesn't get super revisionist on us before, so.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Aug 21, 2008 at 07:02 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:51 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 12:51 PM #27 of 54
On a side note, I wonder what they're gonna retcon out at the end of this story. Unless they kill the main character, and I'd be surprised if they did, they'd have to explain his diddling about at a later point somehow. But it's not like Star Wars doesn't get super revisionist on us before, so.
Given the story has had the full George Lucas seal of approval, it is supposed to exist in the established Star Wars canon. This is part of the official story of what happens between Episodes III and IV, so it's quite likely this apprentice will die or disappear somehow.

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:51 AM 1 #28 of 54
Definitely planning to download this and give it a go when I get home from work tonight. If it's fun then it's pretty much going to secure a purchase from me.
Copy that. I find I'm more forgiving of bad games than most gamers - hell, one of the two games I have 1000 Achievement Points on is fucking Superman Returns - so if Force Unleashed lets me ruin some shit with lightsabers and telekenesis, I'll probably be fine with it.

Fuck the story though. I don't think anyone out there understands what Star Wars is about anymore.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:56 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 12:56 PM #29 of 54
Fuck the story though. I don't think anyone out there understands what Star Wars is about anymore.
This is very true. As far as the story is concerned, as long as it features Vader being at least a little bad-ass, and then enough of a plot to get you to some kick-ass set pieces, that would work for me.

I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to Star Wars nonsense, though Skills's summary of the demo isn't all that confidence building. But then Skills is an idiot, so what does he know.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:00 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 07:00 AM #30 of 54
There should also be a demo up on PSN, for those with Triples.
The PSN usually doesn't update til at least around 5PM Eastern, so there's still no demo up yet. I'll definitely be trying it out once it is up, though. I'm honestly not that big of a Star Wars fan, but I keep hearing so much about this game that I want to try it out.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:22 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 07:22 AM #31 of 54
Also note that skills hates roughly 99% of the games that he plays. That said, I am really looking forward to playing the demo tonight. I don't expect to be able to be 100% precise with my usage of force powers, or be fully skilled in combat right off the bat, so I expect to at the least not hate the game immediately.

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:34 AM #32 of 54
In case no one else was aware of this:

Spoiler:
Apparently the main character of this game creates the Rebel Alliance.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:38 AM #33 of 54
In case no one else was aware of this:

Spoiler:
Apparently the main character of this game creates the Rebel Alliance.
Spoiler:
then he creates water, followed by cold fusion

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:50 AM #34 of 54
Spoiler:
then he creates water, followed by cold fusion
Spoiler:
He's the reason midichlorians stop existing after Ep3. He just force crushed everything.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:31 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 05:31 PM #35 of 54
You know, I had a blast grabbing Stormtroopers, impaling them with my sword and then fling them at other Stormtroopers. The sword gave extra damage.
Other highlights, grabbing a TIE bomber and drop it on a group of enemies.

Skills's complaints are valid, though. The block is almost completely useless and sometimes the lock-on system falls in love with barrels instead of THAT FRIGGING STORMTROOPER FIRING AT ME.
But I can forgive Star Wars a lot of things, so I'm almost certain I'll buy this. Just because I get to split AT-STs in two and use soldiers to bang open doors.

Edit: Now I know what this game reminds me of. Psi-Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy. Apart from the fact that you can't move while using psionic force powers, it evokesthe same joy of flinging people around.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Kilroy; Aug 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Know I know!
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:41 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 10:41 AM #36 of 54
Edit: Now I know what this game reminds me of. Psi-Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy. Apart from the fact that you can't move while using psionic force powers, it evokesthe same joy of flinging people around.
Yeah, except oddly enough they had the grabbing and throwing thing down a lot better than this game does. You could even move while doing it. Man, I'd kill for a fucking sequel to that game.

Most amazing jew boots
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:45 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 10:45 AM #37 of 54
Yeah, except oddly enough they had the grabbing and throwing thing down a lot better than this game does. You could even move while doing it. Man, I'd kill for a fucking sequel to that game.
Hell, I'd kill to have the Psi-Ops guys just cockslap the development team for this game.

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:06 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 10:06 PM #38 of 54
I shouldn't have said that. Now I want to light dudes on fire using the force.

Now I have to hook up my old dusty Xbox to play the game again;_;

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:09 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 01:09 PM #39 of 54
Is the xbox version on the backwards compatibility? I think I'd like to pick it up since my ps2 is gone, and thus that version useless.

And yeah, I think the reason I didn't absolutely hate the demo was because it reminded me of the fun I had with Psi-ops. That shit was the bomb, yo.

FELIPE NO
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:01 PM #40 of 54
Hmm speaking of psi ops, I never got to try it out but since theres a free download of it on fileplanet I guess nows a good a time as any.

I finally tried the demo through ps3. At most, I think other than the force being a factor, the game is average. It feels a little like it's a "pretty good" movie game, if it was actually based off a movie. Controls feel clumsy, using the lock on button is pointless when your taking on hordes of enemies, lightining is useless unless used with a light saber combo and even then, the light saber by itself is more than enough for enemies.
Apart from that using the force is what the game is about and it is incredibly fun. Throwing enemies off places, making them grab on to each other for funzies. Although I wish there was a bit more creativity other than standing still and "look what I can throw!" I'm not sure about the rules of the game or the "force" but there were some objects that were rectangular and flat, I tried to jump on it and use the force to surf my way through enemies >_>
I also wanted to cut a lose object in half and throw it in two directions but that didn't work. Turns out the only thing the the demo that you can cut in half are the droids. wtf!

New Record!
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:21 PM #41 of 54
Yeah, so.

Jedi games are fun when theres an emphasis on the lightsaber, not lifting things and throwing them around. As a friend of mine pointed out with the gameplay - "Why am I playing Lego Star Wars again?"

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:12 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 06:12 AM #42 of 54
Yeah, I had a second mess with the demo before hitting the hay last night, and whilst it's alright (I certainly didn't find it as hateful as Skills did), there are definite issues with the controls.

I'd be happy to give this a play, but I'll wait for it to drop down to bargain prices.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:35 AM #43 of 54
Where the fuck is dodge roll? How can you make a game like this and not have dodge roll? Dash does not cut it. I feel like a sitting duck coming out of block. Game would be a lot better if they toned the scale down a bit for more close quarters combat. Something akin to NGII.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Ramenbetsu; Aug 22, 2008 at 03:41 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:10 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 10:10 AM #44 of 54
Where the fuck is dodge roll? How can you make a game like this and not have dodge roll? Dash does not cut it. I feel like a sitting duck coming out of block. Game would be a lot better if they toned the scale down a bit for more close quarters combat. Something akin to NGII.
Have you been talking to Skills, because that is something Skills said to me last night on Live, almost verbatim.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:48 AM #45 of 54
We spoke about the demo an hour or so after it hit marketplace and pretty much agreed with each other that it needs to be more focused on close combat, more intuitive and dodge roll needed.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:53 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 03:53 AM #46 of 54
Just give the fucking Dash invincibility frames, it doesn't necessary have to be a "roll" so much as a move with evasive properties. I mean, how vulnerable are you coming out of dash in that game, anyway?

PS: Nothing should emulate Ninja Gaiden 2 level design. NOTHING.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:33 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 12:33 PM #47 of 54
The level design in NG2 might be all over the place, but it's focus on corridors and small rooms kept the combat fast paced. If they did that in this game, you'd be forced to rely on the very fucking broken grip mechanic a lot less, and it would keep combat from being less annoying when you're trying to fight at anything other than extremely close range.

And that I agree with.

FELIPE NO
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:49 PM #48 of 54
Just give the fucking Dash invincibility frames, it doesn't necessary have to be a "roll" so much as a move with evasive properties. I mean, how vulnerable are you coming out of dash in that game, anyway?

PS: Nothing should emulate Ninja Gaiden 2 level design. NOTHING.
Its not really that i want a move with invul frames (though that would be nice). I would just like something to do OUT of a block that doesn't leave me standing there, vulnerable for a second.

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:41 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 11:41 PM #49 of 54
GFF and its silly topic names.

I tried the demo earlier today, and it was actually kind of awesome. The controls worked great and the graphics + sound felt new and fresh. I had some trouble with the targeting system as well with long rage combat, but other than that it was a pleasant suprise. I will probably pick this up when it arrives.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:18 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 12:18 AM #50 of 54
My overall reaction to this game was "Meh". Most of the "challenges" in the game came from either the imprecise controls or having to repeat the same action over and over again quickly enough so you don't die.

When this game is under $30 I'll probably pick it up.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Making an entrance the FORCE PUSH DOOR RAPE WAY.